Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

SilverSupernova posted:

They actually have Mojo talking in extreme redundancies again so that's a huge step up from the new PPG show's writers.

I looked it up: The crossover wasn't written by a TTG writer, but someone who wrote for a few new PPG episodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Applewhite posted:

When they switched from Mercury Filmworks to Toon City Animation the drop in quality was enough to ruin the series for me. I was seriously bummed out. I'm cautiously optimistic about the new season because, while not as good as the first half of the first season, it's an improvement over the second half.

The writing on the 2nd half is a bet better than the first, I feel (though yeah, it got jarring after they stopped exclusivity using Mercury, though I'm pretty sure they used both studios instead of a full blown switch). This season it animated at the old reliable but not amazing Rough Draft Korea, (along with some other korean studio)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

FELD1 posted:

I watched it for about a minute because I was waiting for 'We Bare Bears' to come on and within that minute I could instantly tell it's one of those awful Canadian imports. Art style and sound effects were straight out of 'Johnny Test.' Come on, CN, get your poo poo together.

Same creator

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

MrSlam posted:

I noticed the drop in animation too. I wonder if it was a budget thing or a time-crunch thing?

Change up in animation studios (the good animation is from the Canadian Mercury Filmworks, the sucky animation is from the Fillipino Toon City). Season 2 uses a completely different pair of studios (both Korean) that produce serviceable (but not Mercury Filmworks quality) animation: Rough Draft Korea and Sugarcube

E: oh god who gave me this avatar (I'm not complaining but still)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Toxxupation posted:

So after this and that time SU fans made a girl attempt suicide because she drew fake nonreal lesbians wrong or whatever the gently caress, I'm fairly certain that SU is now officially The Worst Fandom. It was a hard-fought victory over bronies, but here we are.

I heard somewhere that the zamii incident was lead by people who had a more personal beef with her (apparently one of them was her boyfriend's ex?)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Just watched the gumball episode and no one told me there was gonna be a brief pikmin 3 reference

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

BioEnchanted posted:

I enjoyed what I saw but I was reluctant to binge it because I heard it started with an overreliance on bad jokes like the Gross-Out Humour of chin girl (failing to) eat or constantly vomiting.

Season 1 is definitely the weakest (though even then grossout humor is a bit rare)

Macaluso posted:

Star vs The Forces of Evil

Actually star vs IS developing a bit of a plot, around the same time (episode number wise) SU started doing so

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Crabtree posted:

The Magic Sword guys get a cartoon but not Lakewood Plaza Turbo?! :mad:

An animator union blog had revealed a few months back that both OK KO (which is what Lakewood Plaza Turbo is called now) and Long Live the Royals are getting full series

Plus there's the mobile game and the shorts from a few months back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAW07aPQMFk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD3ZI4a0YUk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTxIEr20QzI

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Crabtree posted:

Oh okay, I was really worried that one of the better ones was still being ignored.

I can't find the video now but apparently it was being used as a guinea pig for some weird marketing idea CN was going for by establishing a lot of the spin off stuff before the show itself (one CN exec was going on about "interactive worlds" or something)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

drrockso20 posted:

That and the weird Lemongrab/Lemonhope plot turned me off the show quite hard, cause the former has left a huge gaping hole in Finn's personality even now that he's mostly over it(doesn't help that Finn's competence at pretty much anything has almost completely disappeared at this point, really comes off as the staff not liking him anymore, and that the only reason they haven't written him off is cause he's technically still the main character, even if the show is barely about him anymore), while the latter just felt completely nonsensical even by this show's standards(really don't get why PB went ahead with the whole Lemonhope plot when it would have been simpler and easier to just have Finn or Rattleballs take Lemongrab down, the latter could have done it in seconds in fact, actually there's been a ton of situations since Rattleballs' debut that could have easily been resolved by him, and instead we haven't seen him at all since, without even the slightest bit of explanation as to why PB hasn't been using him despite him being her most potent resource)

seasons 6 and 7 return the focus back to finn

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Mace Bacon posted:

Has Adventure Time returned to being Fartsy and not Artsy?

I think that season 6 was peak Artsy. Season 7 is a bit less so.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

readingatwork posted:

Yeah. It's gotten better recently but the series never fully recovered from loosing Pen Ward's amazing sense of humor. I think it MIGHT have done ok by leaning on the story and becoming a more plot-driven affair, but unfortunately the staff had never actually gamed out where they were going with anything so the series just sort of floundered around doing whatever until it had driven its entire fanbase over to SU. It's a shame too because the show had a ton of potential at one point.

I've heard that Pen was actually the one who encouraged the change in direction in the first place (He's still on the show, though he stopped being involved in outlines after Stakes, outside of The Music Hole, whose outline also involved Pat McHale, who had left AT back in mid-season 5 and was heavily involved in the show's writing prior to leaving)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Macaluso posted:

I think I read that Pen was focusing on the movie? Is that still happening?

Even though I haven't really kept up with Adventure Time I would still go see a movie for it

Yeah it's still happening (it was apparently announced extremely early into production). Season 9 has also been confirmed (unlike with Regular show, where Season 8 was recently confirmed to be the final season)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Crabtree posted:

I'd say Adventure Time has outlived its usefulness and its time to put it down. It's already being replaced in both sort of action and comedy by returning legacy shows or the new forefronters like Gumball or Steven Universe. Anything that AT could do now it either couldn't pull off or other shows have already beaten it to the punch. Give it a Titans in Tokyo send off movie and let it die.

Both AT and RS haven't gotten the best treatment from the network: They never air episodes outside of premiers, premiers can be about as spotty as SU (RS gets better treatment in this regard than AT but still), and they were both moved to a saturday block (until it became apparent that doing so caused ratings to tank). Yet paradoxially (given how RS is slightly treated better by the network than AT), AT is getting a season 9 while RS isn't

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

plus 98% of finn's relationship moping stopped after Breezy (only showing up a few more times).

Like off the top of my head I can name The Mountain (where it wasn't the focus), Flute Spell (which had a different relationship), and Bun Bun
(which was essentially it's resolution, with Finn and FP being on good, non-romantic terms again) with a nod to it in Hall of Egress and if I'm missing other examples then they're probably just one or two more

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 21, 2016

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

readingatwork posted:

Yes but then it replaced that with Fin moping over his daddy issues for the rest of season 6. Then in Season 7 he breaks Fin-Sword and is currently all mopey about that.

his finn sword moping was only for two episodes (I am a Sword and Music Hole, the latter appearing to mostly serve as an end to said moping) and that was late into the season anyways

though it looks like his mother is gonna be involved with the next season so maybe he'll mope about that.

to be honest I didn't catch up with adventure time until mid-season 6 so I breezed through most of the relationship moping instead of wading through it week to week

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 21, 2016

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VkMHzTaiHA

yes it is the same creators as Phineas and Ferb

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

SilverSupernova posted:

CN has been really good with crossovers lately. I'm still amazed how well they pulled off that crossover between SU and UG despite the wildly different tone of both shows.

Well it was written wholly by the SU writers

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Speaking (indirectly) of OK KO I found that video I was talking about here:

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

I can't find the video now but apparently it was being used as a guinea pig for some weird marketing idea CN was going for by establishing a lot of the spin off stuff before the show itself (one CN exec was going on about "interactive worlds" or something)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ou6MyZ5lmE

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Waffleman_ posted:

The first Stevenbomb being a success is the worst thing that's happened to Cartoon Network in the last like 6 years. It seemed like they had gotten over it and were trying to do weekly episodes again for a bit, but nope.

Actually it started with an Adventure Time bomb around thanksgiving the year prior after that show's first long hiatus (they even had a simultaneous clarence/UG bomb that december, still piror to the first steven bomb)

Maybe it started with Over the Garden Wall, now that I think about it

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Waffleman_ posted:

Except for Ghoul School, also known as the first monster girl anime.

You kid but I've seen it's fandom

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

This'll make AT the 2nd longest running Cartoon Network show, behind ed, edd, n eddy and ahead of Regular Show and Power Puff Girls

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

raditts posted:

I'm not sure I like its effect on modern cartoons as far as character design goes though. It works for Adventure Time because it was different at the time, but it comes off ugly as hell in some of the knockoff styles.
Has Adventure Time been good? I stopped watching it a year or two back when they started shuffling around its timeslot, and it was getting really boring and angsty so I just stopped caring.

It's still artsy-fartsy at times, but the angst isn't a general theme the same way it was with season 6. The crew mentioned that the season 7 finale (whenever it comes :argh:) is gonna set the events of seasons 8 and 9 into motion

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Waffleman_ posted:

When was Lemonhope? Because that's the last episode I remember explicitly before I stopped watching, though it might not have been the one that broke my back.

Early 2014 (late season 5)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

nerdman42 posted:

Does Adventure Time ever do anything with Finn losing his arm again after Beezy? Because that's when I fell off. It made it feel like the show wasn't committing to its story.

I think the last one I did watch was the one where Finn and Flame Princess talked about their relationship, which was actually pretty good.

They alluded to it with The Mountain and did stuff with it with The Comet, so yeah, it's come back a few times.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

misadventurous posted:

I guess I can kind of get just being sick of it, I just really appreciate how the people making it keep trying their damndest to keep it fresh. It feels like every episode they're trying to show me a different thing that can happen in Ooo, and I like that they experiment even if it doesn't always work. It was never not going to be at least 8 seasons, it just made too much money for CN, and it's still not really like anything else you can watch.

I really liked the episodes many people mentioned not liking ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ so maybe what do I know.

pretty much my view as well

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

TwoPair posted:

Wait, what is it now? drat, that network changes quick.

Discovery Family

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

TwoPair posted:

Whoa you mean Crash's voice isn't just a white guy with a megaphone like those old PS1 commercials?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w47m7yEr1W4

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Speaking of Crash Bandicoot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d5651XSuh0

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

raditts posted:

Which is a pleasant surprise, I was totally expecting a boring low budget CG shitfest if BH6 ever got a TV series, like all the Dreamworks ones.

the Tangled series is also gonna be 2D

disney's tv cartoons in general are 2D, not 3D

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

HorseRenoir posted:

long live the new flesh

Imagine if this movie starred SA emotes

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

the villain is :smug:

until he's on the ropes in which case he becomes :shepface:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

VolticSurge posted:

Then at the end :smith: embraces his true destiny and becomes :black101: while Stan Bush's The Touch plays.

you mean :unsmigghh:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

TwoPair posted:

I'm not shocked at all that this is being made, but I'm honestly surprised that it took this long for Disney/Marvel to make it. They're usually pretty quick to capitalize on hit films.

cartoons usually take years of development

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

doing the research, The creator of the Infinity Train pilot is a writer/storyboard artist for Regular Show, while the creator for the other pilot is a boarder for the PPG reboot

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

Has Disney screwed Greenblatt? He could go over there

He was a director on Fish Hooks alongside Chowder's creative director William Reiss

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Quest For Glory II posted:

I wonder if YJ S3 is a thing because WB hooked up with Netflix or Amazon, instead of a TV network. I mean that's just a guess, but they apparently won't say where it's airing yet.

I know that WB's making a show for Disney XD now (a sketch comedy show called Right Now Kapow) and given how all their non-TTG series aren't treated that well by CN it wouldn't be a surprise if they tried branching out to netflix

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

glam rock hamhock posted:

I saw a video come up in my recommended list called "will Infinity Train save Cartoon Network" and it's not the first video I've seen that seems to think that CN is in big trouble which confuses the hell out of me because their current lineup is still probably the best it's ever been with even the weaker ones being okay. Like am I missing something or is this just the internet being dumb because there's a few shows on they don't like?

One part Internet Dumb, one part "AT, RS, and UG are ending soon and we don't know a lot about CN's upcoming programming" (though there is info if you know where to look)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Another new CN pilot released (on the CN asia channel), produced at Rubber House (an Australian animation studio)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n08lJ5Jq5js

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

glam rock hamhock posted:

Is the Pokemon cartoon even really all the popular anymore? I know the franchise is still big but I always took CN's airing it early in the morning more of a reflection of viewer demands.

CN doesn't really have a good track record these days with shows neither made at CN Studios nor named Teen Titans Go (or even some of the shows that are made at CN Studios)