Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Mighty Max was good and cool. I loved looking at the toys and even bought one. It was a Demon skull with a snake tongue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Madurai posted:

I fully expected to not really care about the "will Luz learn magic?" Main Plot of the show going forward, assuming it would be boilerplate Believe In Yourself Hard Enough, but the fact that she's effectively learning hermetic magic as a workaround has me intrigued. Eda, who has really been the reason I've been watching this show, has a background reveal that's sort of... well, I mean, it's there? I hope there's more to it.

Eda seems to have a sister that she's on less than good terms with it seems.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

BioEnchanted posted:

It all comes from the old stereotype that men talking about their emotions is somehow feminine and therefore symptomatic of homosexuality, when it's just healthy.
Reminds me of this old sketch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wogb2ctOfV4

cant cook creole bream posted:

I like you. You are a cool person with good opinions.

I try to be a guy who's open about his feelings and not to feel embarrassed if I like emotional stuff. But as far as I am aware I'm totally straight. Implying that only gay men can relate to those things is problematic in several ways.

There are straight people who like colourful musicals and there are gay people who enjoy watching golf all day. Nothing really wrong with either of that.

Thank You so much for verbalizing something I've always wanted to, but could never quite put into words. And yeah, the theme of self discovery and openness about your personal interests and self-expression are very universal.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Question, is there a thread for The Owl House yet or is it discussed on here? I have some posts and questions about some things relating to the show, but don't want to derail(which might happen based on one of the questions).

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

SlothfulCobra posted:

Gofrit, dude. :justpost:

I don't know if the Owl House will end up being able to support its own thread anyways.

I love Men in Black, and I especially loved David Warner in it, but if you dig up the original comic, it is some severe stuff that illustrates how bad and horrible everything about it is.

Oh no I didn't mean to start a thread(at least not yet unless no one goes for it). But yeah I'll repost my thoughts.

Ok caught up on the episodes so time to unpack.

The Abomination episode was good and while Ammity was being needlessly catty and condescending, she WAS right about the cheating and the episode made some distinction that she took witchcraft seriously and not just to rub it into people's faces. The fact that Luz got outed as a human likely means that Ammitty was let off so that point is done.

The next two episodes made it clear that humans can't do magic due to lacking innate mana like Magi-humans have which means that they can't cast magic from personal mana reserves and instead need to draw from around them and cast magic via alternate means, in this case sigils.

I was gonna call the stuff with Eda and her sister based on the translated codes, but decided not to thinking spoilers since I wasn't sure when she'd show up based on seeing her in a preview. The designs and attitudes between them are pure Ryoko and Ayeka from the Tenchi series especially their designs in their hair and their attitudes where they're both incredibly catty and mean to each other with all the maturity of HS kids, but deep down DO care about each other.

The stuff with Ammity was great this episode where it's made clear that witchcraft to her is a VERY serious and deeply personal and emotional project and her enmity and resentment towards Luz is do to her lax attitude towards magic as a sort of identity hobby with some very obvious parallels to Diana and Akko from Little Witch Academia.

I'm legitimately looking forward to more since the show seems to be finding it's legs now and am interested more in the lore about how covers work, why you can only use one type of magic when joining, the Emperor's Coven with their blatantly evil looking Griffith Helmets and why they're the exception, how magic works, and more on Eda in general.

If there's one criticism I have, it's the rather overt focus on institutional learning being bad(at least according to Eda)which I'm hoping gets somewhat challenged since it misses the point of why these places come into being in the first place and the whole individuality thing given that Luz is a nice girl, but the stuff she did in school would have gotten her straight up expelled and was legitimately dangerous. I think these things would have been better done a different way in my opinion.

Forgot to add, love the series, but I'm actually incredibly worried and nervous for it in similar ways to Star vs and GF due to the network. The world feels incredibly big like in Star vs an at full length, I'm sure that they'll explore the hell out of it, I'm just not sure if just two seasons will be enough even if it's 20 full length episodes. Like, if Eda's curse gets lifted by seasons end...where to next? Like yeah Luz still trains and learns, but I'd love to see this road show go on for a good while and we know how Disney does things.

I also loved that it was made clear that both Eda andd Lilith are equals in terms of skill and power plus I loved the sneak attack that Eda pulled when she brought up the curse.

The potential derail question was if anyone knew if knew if Molly Ostertag was a good writer since she's one of the writers and one of the only things I know her from is her art in Strong Female Protagonist which cursory overview does not build confidence.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Feb 8, 2020

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

ManlyGrunting posted:

I'm pretty sure Ostertag did the art of that webcomic and some other dude did the writing (which for those of you who don't know started out interesting and fell apart as it chased ideas to their natural conclusion and found that they didn't really have anything to say). I doubt Disney would allow for the subject matter that led to SFP sinking anyway. And I'm happy for Ostertag, it's always neat to see online artists make it into high-profile jobs.

Her art is nice and I agree about the high profile thing. The webcomic was one of the absolute worst I've had to sift through hence the worry.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

SlothfulCobra posted:

A good theme song can also act as a nice little teaser to get you ready for the show and remind you of everything. Even a frame of reference that can be used to set the tone of the show and change elements when something special is going on. Maybe just an excuse to have a music video.

I never understood why DVDs included the opening for every single episode, even when you were watching all of them in sequence. Netflix finally got things right by letting you skip the opening when you're binging.

Anime can go overboard by doing an elaborate opening, ending, and then a preview of the next episode. I remember Toonami leaving out the opening credits half the time though. It's all weird.

Gravity Falls is a good example of this.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Madurai posted:

Between the CN app and Disney Now, I've become convinced UI/UX designers just hate children. And everyone else.

God I hate the Disney Now app.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Latest episode of Owl House was good fun, but left me a bit mixed on the whole Amity/Willow thing and how the mean girl posse fits into it all. Ditto for the magic power reveal thing.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Xelkelvos posted:

The mean girl posse seems like hangers on to Amity. I wanna say that the magical power thing can probably be attributed to Willow and not Luz, but who knows?

The mean girl posse being hanged ons thing just bugs me since it's such a trite cliche at this point. Willow and Amity also being former friends feels...not forced, but kind of tacked on a bit.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I wonder if it's not even a thing of magical power, but just the power of friendship enabling the little group to work in tandem while the meangirl squad couldn't coordinate.

Also if Eda's that much on the edge of falling to the curse, it's not that manageable of a condition after all.

That would actually be more interesting. Like it worked not because of power, but synchronized coordination.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Alien Sex Manual posted:

Eda plots rule, Luz and friends plots are kinda meh. More Owl Lady please.

Also that little gremlin that’s all nose - I don’t care if that’s Dana Terrace’s avatar, I hate it.

Agreed...except for the little gremlin whom I think is hilarious.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

kidcoelacanth posted:

i'm enjoying owl house to this point, but it's focus seems a bit all over the place. luz and amity are a fun pairing but the show doesn't seem all too concerned with the core plot of luz learning magic yet

Yeah I've kind of noticed both of those issues. At this point we're more into the issues with Amity and Eda's curse than anything else and even those feel a little undercooked in some ways to me. Like I'm enjoying it all, but something kind of nags at me about the whole thing that I can't quite place.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

fractalairduct posted:

I think part of it is that the characters themselves don't seem to be to concerned about achieving their stated goals. If Luz is never shown to be actively learning magic and Eda doesn't even seem to care about breaking her curse, why should I care about those things?

The plot with Amity feels super rushed, given that we're seven episodes into the series and... three? four? of those have given focus to her character development. Even with the same number of episodes, it'd be a more compelling story if it were more spread out.

I think that's definitely it. Granted Hooty's Moving Hassle did a bit of both in terms of Eda's Curse and Luz learning magic.

Another thing that nags me is Willow's line about her and Amity having been friends before and the sort of juxtapose with Amity now being with her new posse of sorts. It just feels incredibly obvious. Like it feels cliche where the new popular/rich/delinquent/cool friends you make are actually fake and only using you or some other thing and it's your old friends that are real and will stick by you. LWA actually did something really well on this with the side characters Hannah and Barbara towards Diana and I'm hoping for something similar. Like it was INCREDIBLY OBVIOUS that she was gonna be an important character the instant you saw her purely based on her design never mind her two episodes, but it sort of feels like they're rushing her character development a lot.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Owl House seems to be getting interesting. Eda realising that since she's pretty lazy about teaching Luz magic and doesn't seem to have much of a plan for it that it's probably better all around to let her learn from the professionals seems interesting, and probably a jab at home-schooling. Also she used to be a redhead, of course.

Outfit included, she was basically Lina Inverse in her teenage years. I've loved the principal so far, the right balance of "hard, but fair" while also having seen and dealt with EVERY type of bullshit that students could pull.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1e2Rk9kunc

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Yvonmukluk posted:

So, according to the internet it seems that there's been a lot of hints dropped that Eda is apparently Stan Pines' one-day ex-wife?

I mean, I could see it.

I was in the process of typing that it makes no sense, but I could actually see it with the league thing him just using swagger to make the difference and they're both very blatant con people who love chaotic pranks so there's also that. Would need links to the hints.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 16, 2020

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Gann Jerrod posted:

I’m not really feeling this one. It tries to look like the old cartoons, with the classic style and that film patina, but the animation is too modern, without the smears and character, and they’re using modern technology. I feel like the Mickey Mouse cartoons do a much better job of fusing old and new than this, but this is a 2 minute trailer, so maybe I’ll warm to it when I see the whole thing.

There's also this feeling that it's trying TOO HARD to be like those old cartoons in the gags and whatnot and I agree with the style choices. It felt incredibly off for some reason.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Taear posted:

I'm really not sure if it was transphobic. Sam was only mad that a rabbit got on the rollercoaster, not that the rabbit was really a man.
It did feel weird as a joke to see in 2020 though.

The very last bit I laughed at. But I definitely don't like bugs new voice actor. With a lot of replacement voice actors you can't tell but this bugs doesn't sound much like Mel honestly

Yeah it threw me off incredibly badly.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

amigolupus posted:

Wasn't there also an episode where Jerry pushed Tom too far to the point that he killed himself by getting run over by a train? There was also one where Tom got dragged into hell because Jerry wouldn't forgive him (though I think this one's a dream?).

The train one was because he bankrupted himself trying to win a girl who was just using him who Butch won out. The episode was all the various ways he tried to win her only to be upstaged by Butch.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Funky Valentine posted:

They way I heard it is that taking the bumps Curly did accelerated a bunch of developing health problems. This I heard years ago so I'm probably misremembering.

He apparently had a love of the drink and the high life and Larry had gambling issues. Moe was apparently the full on no vices guy. Can't recall anything about Shemp.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Madurai posted:

No one recalls anything about Shemp.

I recall him being the passive aggressive one. The one I REALLY don't recall was the one who replaced him.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

BigRed0427 posted:

Ok, Thats Gravity Falls down! Finally finished it and woo, loved it.

Between that and Star Vs The forces of Evil, I need a break from Disney +. I think She Ra is next.

Edit: Between the two shows I feel like Gravity Falls is the stronger one? It felt like it knew what it was throughout it's entire run and ended on the right note. Star VS straight up changes half way through and had so much stuff it could mine. It doesn't help that Star VS runs into the problem of "Hey, two or three of the other members of the supporting cast are much more interesting characters to the point where they could have their own show.

So it wasn't just me. The supporting cast just never felt utilized AT ALL and yeah it felt like it was trying to do more than it could handle all at once. That it dwelt on the romance drama stuff for so long also didn't help.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

drrockso20 posted:

To be fair Joe Besser was only a Stooge for a couple years and his shorts never get shown anymore, and while Joe DeRita was a Stooge for a decently long time, their output was a lot less during that period(a handful of movies, the cartoon, and the occasional cameo in someone else's show or movie)

Also the other day when buying some stuff on Amazon(cause I had some credit lying around from them botching an order a couple months ago) and I came across this Scooby-Doo Encyclopedia and cause it was pretty cheap I added it to the order on a whim, the order came today and the book is actually surprisingly nice for a kids book, has basically every monster and villain in the franchise from between Where Are You and 13 Ghosts, about the only knocks on it I have are them leaving out the Red Shirt Shaggy Movies(which feels a little arbitrary), and the way it's organized(they organized it by what theme each monster falls under, I would have preferred them doing it by series), otherwise I'd highly recommend it if you're a fan of Scooby-Doo

Surprising given how popular Ghoul School was. Not sure about the other two, but I liked them a great deal as well.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

SlothfulCobra posted:

Star Vs. the Forces of Evil was a show that took a while to figure out what it was and what it wanted to do before running out of time to do something with it, while Gravity Falls knew what it wanted to be from the very beginning, only to lose its way and the characters kinda fall to pieces and then running out of time to do whatever they had planned.

A fair amount of season 4 of Star Vs. left me disappointed, but definitely all the characters started stronger than they started, while Gravity Falls kinda refused to give any character growth. Mable actually started to get grating after there were a few too many plots of Dipper sacrificing for her while giving up nothing herself.

I don't know if Ghoul School was actually successful in its time? I'm not sure if it would've seen a big audience when it was just direct to video and before cable gave it a wider release. And if you were going to leave out a section of scooby history, the red shirt shaggy movies are probably the ones to do it from just how disconnected they were from the rest of the franchise. (RIP Shaggy's girlfriend)

At least the series with scrappy doo and real monsters kept Daphne around for some semblance of contiguity.

The follow up comic actually fixes a lot of those issues, and yeah it definetly felt like there was supposed to be a Third Season, but given how we almost didn't even get Season 2 due to burn out and other issues, I'm willing to give it some slack. Star Vs I'm rather less lenient on since there were hints as early as Season 1 and Season 2 of where they wanted some things to go, but still wasted too much time on pointless shipping stuff and filler episodes.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ironslave posted:

Samurai Jack's fifth season started as if the tone and stakes of the original series had deepened. Jack was old, Jack was miserable, Jack was hopeless but still out there trying. He crosses his line about killing decisively. He recovers a bit of himself and takes on what is essentially an apprentice. Then the show meanders a little bit--though I wouldn't say pointlessly--before returning to the same sort of tone it originally had. And then, at the conclusion, it swerves and decides to make an attempt at gravitas.

My issue with the fifth season is it couldn't maintain its tone and waffled between the "new" style we experienced at the start, and the classic "don't get too invested, this will be resolved weirdly" style. Jack finding a way to get back to the past to kill Aku would've been entirely in-keeping with the old show. But they put it in the middle of elaborating on all the friends he's made and all the alliances he's formed. Jack finding a sudden romance in the middle of a ridiculous fight would be fine in the old series, but it happens as a result of him having a grim moment where he embraces killing and does in all her sisters.

Unlike the old show, it wanted things to matter. But it didn't want them to matter too much. It's a rope to walk and I feel it stumbled a lot on it.

The whole killing this just felt weird to me since he really didn't seem bothered by it at all in "The Princess and the Bounty Hunters" episode. It also changes aspects of when he saw people die for the first time(the episode where he remembers his home and flashes back seeing Lone Wolf and Cub).

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Funky Valentine posted:

Jack goes around the world to fight all the super ancient evils that he ran into in the future, like those creepy Egyptian monsters.

He explicitly can't do anything to them since they're effectively fueled by a full blown God. They were something even Aku couldn't do anything about(I seem to recall they actually tried to kill him as well before he fled the scene)and simply released them since Jack was close and he knew they operated on a kill on sight attitude.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
I'll take a PM in the event this place goes under.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

kidcoelacanth posted:

the speed that amity's character went from "haughty rival" to "comically in love with the protagonist" in owl house is neckbreaking but i can't say i dislike it

Don't dislike it, but still not really like it that much since it feels too rushed and like it's shuffling out anything involving their perceived rivalry particularly since their mentors are sisters with contrasting views and styles.

drrockso20 posted:

Reminds me of the rich girl in As Told By Ginger in that regard

They wanted Courtney to come out as gay to Ginger. I'll look for that link later.

Xelkelvos posted:

Its a pretty standard cliche at this point

Yeah it kind of is. It's not bad when well executed and given time to grow and expand.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mraagvpeine posted:

I think I remember that episode and she was outing kids who had head lice.

Was gonna mention that along with the fact that she gasps and remarks that she'll go down in school history for outing that the popular it girl has lice. I found it really nice that Courtney personally thanked and hugged Ginger for bailing her on that. And yeah, Dodie was absolutely loving vile.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ruflux posted:

I hope they blow up the school and go completely sideways with the running plot in season two because as of right now it's easily the worst, most cliched and uninteresting part of The Owl House's premise. Literally poo poo we've seen before a hundred times, whereas Luz acting as societal outcast Eda's apprentice while they're on the run from the law would be more in line with the original promised premise and be more interesting than mean girls bully me and my friends at school.

Although Boscha owns so they better not write her out or make her nice or whatever

I was starting to think I was the only one who liked Boscha. I wouldn't mind her getting a Heel Face Turn, but very much not at the expense of her character being Uber softened.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Funky Valentine posted:

The infiltrator is obviously Hooty, as part of Hooty's 527-step plan to seize control of both the Boiling Isles and Earth.

So Lilith sleeps on the couch now, right?

I think they got one of those "second season greenlit months before the first episode aired" deals.

This. Pretty sure the second season got greenlit before the first episode even aired. That was the hype on this show.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

drrockso20 posted:

Him and Shaggy's girlfriend from Reluctant Werewolf definitely top the list of characters that should show up in a movie someday(the Grimwood Girls too but theyre the kind of thing you'd have to center a whole movie around, not just as a cameo or guest star)

100% agree. I always loved those movies.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

MikeJF posted:

Aww, they're cancelling Ducktales! That show was great!

Wait really? Why? Wasn't it doing really well?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

SlothfulCobra posted:

I liked Pokemon the show better back when nobody knew it was going to become such an amazing hit and the show kinda bullshitted a bunch of things that are absolutely unsupported by the games.

And then after they changed the Elite Four into a tournament arc that Ash doesn't even get that far in, they kinda reached the pinnacle of making random poo poo up with the Orange Islands, where the pokemon look different, it's entirely original characters, and the gyms don't even have normal matches.

The comics went even farther. Pikachu's Boogaloo featuring a sunken city, a giant Haunter that killed Sabrina's pokemon, a flying Snorlax destroying orchards, and just a general weird atmosphere with a whole lot of details. Pokemon Adventure made half the gym leaders part of Team Rocket engaged in smuggling pokemon and then later made the Elite Four into eco-terrorists trying to wipe out humanity. It was a hell of a ride.

Pokémon Special is legit great and even the gym leaders being part of Team Rocket makes sense in context since(if memory serves right) in the games, all the cities the leaders are from have some capacity of Team Rocket presence in them. It also helps that all of the leads were competent trainers in varying fields(Red - Battling, Blue - Training, Green - Evolving, etc.). Some years ago it actually won an award at Comic-con.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Bobulus posted:

Hypothetically, there are still mysteries to be uncovered. Mostly about who/what set up the train and how the outside world interprets the train as a thing that's apparently existed for a while. But I'm not sure if solving those mysteries would kind of ruin the experience.

[Bold]Like, if was shown that the train is a construct of the distant future, post-apocolypse, that a future-society set up to 'fix' society, one individual at a time, in order to try to prevent the apocolypse? Would that be neat or a let-down?[/bold]

For me, season 3 felt less like the show was exploitive, and more that the train was exploitive. There was always a weird undercurrent of 'this device is targeting people and trapping them until they improve', but it was made a lot more explicit in Season 3, when we saw that the train can just... show up anywhere, looking like anything, in order to lure people in.

I had always thought the train was a sort of mental trap sort of alternate reality where your subconscious gets tossed into to sort your poo poo out while in reality physically you're still living your life just in a sort of autopilot. The train being seemingly real was...kind of mixed bag since it opens up so many more questions. How long has it been going on? How many people have gone in there? How many have actually gotten off? Does time pass the same in the train as it does outside of it? Do the families of those that have gone missing just never notice or just assume disappearances? And that's on top of the questions about who built the train and what for or how the trains denizens come into being.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

:hai:

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Geo Fixer posted:

One theory I have about why the Snyderverse dc movies have been not the most successful is that we already have the best possible adaptation of these characters on screen already. JL/JLU is an excellent show and the DCAU has still not been matched in sheer quality by any superhero show since.

I've always believed that if you took the first three episodes of Superman TAS and added an extra hour of material and live auctioned it, you'd EASILY clear $700 to $800 million at the box office and set the stage for an awesome EU. Sadly that's not what happened.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

SlothfulCobra posted:

That's not really how it's presented though. He doesn't just get handed power for free, he gets told to do some intense workouts to build up strength, and after he puts in all that work and effort, then he gets given the power, and even then he has to painfully adjust to it because it keeps breaking his bones. There's a whole theme of hard work in there even if there is a handout at some point in the process.

It's weird to me that people always bring up Batman as a counter to the power fantasy, because in most of his incarnations and his overall place in pop culture is more of a power fantasy than even most other superheroes. Like sure, he doesn't have any literally supernatural abilities like shooting lasers from his eyes, but he is supposed to be one of the smartest people in the world, world's greatest detective, he has amazing fighting abilities from studying with the best around the world, an indominatable iron will just because, and also the real-world superpowers of high status and being fabulously wealthy so he can afford to do whatever and be secure in his lifestyle so long as there's not any sinister forces actively and intentionally working against him. And a guy who can shoot lasers from his eyes, like Cyclops, is actually tormented by the ability and forced to wear dorky glasses everywhere. Hulk is a more direct example of all his powers being more of a curse than anything else. Superman has to be aggressively humble at times. Spiderman sometimes loses fights and regularly gets beaten down by his normal life. You'd think that whole theoretical natural humility of Batman would show more when he works with superpowered characters, but all of his "natural powers" get turned up to 11 when he's with the Justice League.

And it's fine for Batman to be a power fantasy, and it's fine for there to be stories about him that turn down the power fantasy aspect, just so long as they manage to tell a good story. Batman has actually managed to have a lot of dynamism as a character. I actually don't like a lot of more recent Spiderman stories that turn up the power fantasy and turn down the Peter Parker disempowerment, because when you take away Spiderman's struggle, he just kinda seems like an rear end in a top hat.

I love me some Batman, but dear God is that true. Supes is humble as a matter of course, his issue is more a combination of being TOO strong where he has to gague his strength at all times lest he accidentally break his parents in half when hugging them or rip someone's hand off when shaking it as well as the Bruce Almighty where he wants to help EVERYONE he can, but there are limitations of various kinds and it eats at him. Not to mention he very much has to be ENTIRELY Lawful at all times to maintain the public trust.

And yeah MHA has always been explicitly about hard work given that in spite of being given said Superman power, Deku still needs to work staggeringly hard to accommodate for the lack of Secondary Powers.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mr Interweb posted:

the real adventures jonny quest talk gave me a hankering to check out the series again. in episode 2, where they introduce Surd, and boy, do i have things to say. here's a quick overview of the plot: Dr. Surd had some evil plan to release nerve gas in a city, but was stopped at the last minute by Race. twenty years later, he decides to relaunch his plan to release the nerve gas.

- first off, while the show is clearly more mature than many of the cartoons at the time, it still seems to fall prey to childish plot contrivances. for example, surd had supposedly died during this time, and that's what everyone is led to believe. but jonny, jesse, and hadji manage to deduce that that's not only a lie, but they also find out where he's actually located. now, i would have been fine even with this for the most part, if it wasn't for the fact that they literally discover all this within the span of 5 minutes (not an exaggeration! no time lapse or nothing. literally under 5 minutes!).
- as if that wasn't bad enough, when they do find out where he's at (a mental institution), they break in and break him out, ALL UNDER A FEW HOURS. like as if they were just going to the store for some milk or something

this may seem like nitpicking but i was really annoyed cause i expected better, and i HATE errand running type writing like this. stuff like this, such as the casino trip with finn and rose is one of the many things that bugged me about the last jedi.

but anyway, enough of the negativity. let's get to the good poo poo:

- the show is much more hardcore than i remember. i had forgotten how surd turned into a quadruplegic ( i thought it was from the nerve gas) but no, it was actually cause he was shot multiple times (and they showed it too)
- i may have to think about this one for a bit, but i think this is one of the few times in american cartoon history that they actually show a character getting dying off screen. it was a character who inhaled some nerve gas and they show his corpse lying on the floor, eyes bugged out, mouth agape and drooling , etc. and i thought they were going to pull the "we've taken him to the hospital so it's cool, he'll get better soon" trick, but nope. that sucker was announced dead as a doornail.

also, somehow i forgot but they changed the entire cast in the second season EXCEPT frank welker as surd, which i'm glad, cause he fits the character PERFECTLY.

There were some off-screen deaths, but the implications of how they died would have NOT flown if they showed(elephant goring, ceiling crush, slaughtered and eaten by fish people, etc.). The show was DEFINENTLY more hard-core than most anything else on TV cartoons at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

I Am Fowl posted:

Several episodes haunted me as a child. The implied deaths were just gruesome. Standouts were the people being devoured by the fish people and the ones being turned into paste by the elevator in the haunted house episode.

I always found the dead pianist ghost one chilling. Both, the tentacle orb and how the villain "dies"(he apparently lived, but suffered a catatonic mental breakdown) where the ghost drags him into the opened secret room in a wall with the VERY realistic looking decayed pianist woman corpse and sealing it shut.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 2, 2021