Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

It's hard to be optimistic considering how badly Warner Bros. has mishandled the property over the last 15 years or so, but the new Looney Tunes show actually looks somewhat promising. Just based on the previews it seems like they're at least going in a good direction with Daffy's characterization.

Martytoof posted:

I recently watched a bunch of DuckTales, and I was a little disappointed to see it hadn't aged as well as I hoped. It was still enjoyable, but a lot rougher around the edges than I remember. Much like a lot of TV from my childhood, it's probably best remembered through a kid's eyes.
Apparently a new DuckTales comic book is about to launch, featuring writing by Warren Spector of Epic Mickey fame. Here's hoping its the first of a full-scale DuckTales relaunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Macaluso posted:

And speaking of Daffy, do more people prefer the crazy WOO HOO HOO A HOO HOO Daffy or the manipulative always-trying-one-up-bugs Daffy? Because I personally love the latter way more. The Duck Season/Rabbit Season cartoons were some of the funniest ever in my opinion.
I like both, but the cartoons with the crazy version were more consistently good. I can't really think of any bad ones, and it didn't matter who was directing. The scheming, egotistical Daffy was really a Chuck Jones creation, and Chuck was the only director who did that characterization justice. Friz Freleng and Bob McKimson just turned him into an unlikable jerk, especially in those dreadful Daffy/Speedy cartoons that were inescapable if you ever watched Looney Tunes on Nickelodeon back in the day.

Based on the few previews I've seen, the new Daffy looks to be a decent mix of self-absorbed and unhinged. I get the sense he's more stuck in his own little world and oblivious than an outright jerk. He may prove to be more of an annoyance to Bugs than the other way around in this iteration.

By the way, am I the only one who thinks the Daffy + Porky pairing is the best Looney Tunes team-up? I don't think there's ever been a bad cartoon with that pairing.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I really enjoyed the new Looney Tunes Show. There may have only been a few big laugh moments, but I was grinning like an idiot the rest of the time. They've done a great job with Daffy's characterization, and if the gophers in today's episode are any indication of what's to come I look forward to seeing how they integrate the less famous characters into the show.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Y-Hat posted:

I know that the chatter about Rocko's Modern Life is from a page back, but one thing I noticed from the Netflix episodes is that all of the ones that involve Chokey Chicken keep the original name intact. IIRC, on its TV run they changed the name to Chewy Chicken in Season 2, but I watched a Season 3 episode yesterday where it was still called Chokey Chicken. For me, that puts any fears about keeping the original censorship intact on the DVD versions to rest. But who knows.
They only changed it for season 4. It was pretty ridiculous since it didn't stop them from airing reruns with the original name.

And yes, the new Looney Tunes show is quite far removed from the original shorts. It's essentially an animated sitcom, with a constant setting, a focus on the relationships between the characters, and dialogue based humor.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 5, 2011

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Anyone watch The Looney Tunes Show this week? It was completely different from the rest of the series in that they actually tried to emulate the tone of the old shorts. The whole thing was just brief scenes of Daffy trying to one up Bugs with slapstick repercussions. The characterizations were also much more traditional. Anyone who hasn't stuck with the show should at least give this one a shot.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

It never ceases to amaze me how much adult humor the Rocko crew managed to sneak past the censors, even if some of it was cut out later. It took the network three years to catch on to the "Chokey Chicken" joke, and at that point it had been too heavily featured for them to excise it from the reruns. I was planning to buy the DVD set, but apparently they're using cut versions and I simply cannot bring myself to support that.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Pakled posted:

Also, Owl House sounds anime as hell.

I was thinking the same of Amphibia. A teenager magically transported to a fictitious world is the description for roughly a third of the anime released today. Of course to make it an anime you’d have to change the gender of the protagonist and the frog-people would just be cute girls who can catch flies with tongues.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think it's the same guy voicing Donald?) but doing the cartoon shenanigans just fine.
Yeah, Donald has been voiced by Tony Anselmo in every media appearance since 1985. He kind of varies the performance up a bit depending on the production, so for something like Kingdom Hearts or this new show he'll usually make Donald a bit easier to understand since he has a more prominent role.

I didn't catch who was voicing Jose and Panchito, but they seem to have been recast. Rob Paulsen and Carlos Alazraqui used to play them whenever they'd pop up. I don't remember the movie well enough to know if the new guys are better voice matches.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Larryb posted:

Except this one for some reason where he's instead voiced by a guy named Daniel Ross.

I'll be damned. I wonder what's up with that. Google didn't turn up any information.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

https://twitter.com/cartoonbrew/status/1105167731987496960
New Looney Tunes shorts (Uncle Grandpa creator Pete Browngardt as showrunner, Wander Over Yonder art director Alex Kirwan as one of the other main producers) are coming out soon.

I'm pretty hyped for these. I've lived through many a Looney Tunes reboot but hopefully this is the one that is finally successful and they make more.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Didn't some WB executive come up with the Loonatics idea and insist it be made into a show? Maybe I just assumed that's what happened but that's what I remember anyway.

Before Loonatics they had a Duck Dodgers show that I remember being pretty decent. They should have just kept going with that one.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Is that just a clip of a longer short perhaps? Elmer Fudd has a loving scythe. Either we're missing some setup or they're operating on some stupid no guns policy.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I am outraged at this retcon. The Fatheads was already cancelled.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I don't have high hopes for the Animaniacs reboot sticking around for very long now that Hulu is fully owned by Disney.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Thompsons posted:

A lot of Animaniacs was spoofing but also celebrating the glitz of Hollywood and given what a hosed-up place the movie business is, I kinda don't really want to see a reboot anymore anyway

I want the new show to just be the hosed up 1920's Warner Brothers shorts that were always alluded to in the old show.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Gaunab posted:

Anyone watch the new looney tunes show on Boomerang? Is it good?

The show was originally called Wabbit and was nothing but Bugs Bunny shorts which I found to be pretty bland. In season 2 they expanded it to include the other characters but that usually just meant you got one Bugs and one Daffy short per episode. Daffy's personality is based more on his early cartoons and I like his shorts quite a bit better than the Bugs stuff, but they still have a very mass produced quality to them. Mostly it's just Daffy harassing Porky for the entire short but they occasionally swap Porky out for Elmer, Foghorn Leghorn, or some random character.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

HBO Max has released a trailer for their Looney Tunes revival. It'll be available on May 27.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Warner Bros has put up a full Bugs Bunny short from the new series.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

ThermoPhysical posted:

Sorry to interrupt Avatar chat but:

https://deadline.com/2020/06/looney-tunes-bans-elmer-fudd-from-having-a-gun-1202952861/

Elmer won't have a gun in the new Looney Tunes, but is allowed to have a scythe.

Honestly, it just opens up for jokes for Fudd to be the Grim Reaper and I'm kinda down with that.

It's an understandable decision and I don't think the new shorts are any worse for it, but if stuff was produced and is now getting held back when the old shorts are just a click away that's pretty ridiculous.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I'll take a PM. I'm happy to lurk another discord.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

drrockso20 posted:

So apparently a live action Powerpuff Girls show is being made for the CW, Craig McCracken would be rolling in his grave except he's still alive

"In the updated version of the series, the titular superheroes are now disillusioned twentysomethings who resent having lost their childhood to crime fighting. Will they agree to reunite now that the world needs them more than ever?"

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

SlothfulCobra posted:

In fact, it's a little weird that Animaniacs and Tiny Toons didn't get absorbed into Looney Tunes as it continued to try to renew itself.

From what I've heard Steven Spielberg has partial ownership of the Animaniacs and Tiny Toons characters so they can't use them in Looney Tunes without paying him.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Nephthys posted:

Agreed. You can see this most clearly of course in all of the flashforward episodes where Bart is a complete loser. I just don't understand why the writers thought it was a good idea to take a character that's charmed millions and explicitly tell all his fans that he has no hope of success in life and is going to end up a sadsack drunk idiot. And you're right that there is a noticeable change in how Bart gets written compared to the earlier episodes. The Simpson gene doesn't even make sense because wasn't Grampa extremely competent in his early life?

People complain a lot about Jerkass Homer, but I think Bart's characterization has suffered the worst as the show has gone on. The current staff have no clue how to write for him. If they bother to write a plot for him at all he's either as big a weenie as Milhouse, a hyperactive idiot, or a complete sociopath. The rest of the time he's basically the Meg Griffin of the family who is either confined to the background or the butt of a joke at his expense.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

The WB revivals keep on coming.

https://twitter.com/WBLooneyTunes/status/1321498562937630722?s=20

More info here: https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/tiny-toon-adventures-reboot-genndy-tartakovsky-unicorns-warriors-eternal-hbo-max-1234817737/

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 28, 2020

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

nine-gear crow posted:

It's also established in-universe that toons who are forgotten about by the audience slowly grow older and die

Shame on Tiny Toons for trying to trick kids into believing the old Bosko cartoons were funny. Anyone who had Nickelodeon knew better.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 29, 2020

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That might explain a lot. Especially since she apparently got pushed so much because an exec really liked her for some reason.

That reminds me that there was an episode later in the show's run that was meant to be a backdoor pilot for an Elmyra spinoff as if anybody would want to watch such a thing. They introduced a bunch of family members for her that I don't think were ever seen again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Larryb posted:

On that note, how were the Bosco and Honey shorts? Tiny Toons is literally the only reason I know they exist
Tiny Toons definitely painted a rosy picture of them. If you had Nickelodeon at the time you knew better as they'd get played all the time and kids hated them. When they finally got pulled from the rotation Nick actually put out an ad announcing they were gone.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I was more surprised when I saw people say that Daffy actually had some kind of female counterpart that Shirley McLoon draws from, since otherwise she's mostly just a weird dated celebrity reference.
Melissa Duck. She appeared in The Scarlet Pumpernickel and much later in The Duxorcist.