Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
With the number of film buffs and internet addicts hanging around here, I was shocked (shocked!) not to find a review of We Live In Public.

The film follows the life of dot-com entrepreneur and self-proclaimed futurist Josh Harris. While ostensibly about his life and career, the filmmaker (Ondi Timoner, who knows Josh personally) does an excellent job delving into the deeper troubles which drive her subject. In doing so, Timoner paints a compelling portrait of human connectivity at its most extreme.

A true measure the film's success is its ability to make me both despise and pity its principle character. While she leans heavily on Harris, Timoner allows the viewer to develop his own opinion about an eccentric entrepreneur turned boyish burn-out. To do so, Timoner has done an excellent job stitching together personal interviews and stock footage from Harris' misadventures.

The production does tend to err on the side of hoaky animations, although to some extent this helps retain the documentary's one-woman-shoot feel.

All in all, I highly recommend this 90 minute expose to anyone with an interest in the digital age, human interaction, or quality film work in general.

5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU