Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Captain Log posted:

Mind if I ask you a question? Who is a good Volvo mechanic around here that isn't dealership levels of expensive?

With my leg disability, I don't have any ability to do work on the car myself. I'm already factoring in repairs and maintenance being a thing with getting cars this old and high mileage. But if it throws an engine or transmission, I'm out!

I've been away for 21 years, the only one I still know is M&W (Mark & Wayne) out in Tigard, they recently did work on my brother in law's 740 and gave him a decent deal, he had the rear cam seal fail spectacularly, which is rare on those cars. They charged like $150 to fix it. I used to know the guys at T.Scandia which is literally across the tracks from M&W but haven't interacted with them since I left. My dad burned his relationship with both of those shops when he would call them for repair advice. He started as a customer and evolved into competition so they cut him off.

Turbobricks has a massive Portland presence, I'm sure if you just search over there you'll find the right mechanic recommendations as well. I think there's a couple to stay away from, typically in those cases they do fine work but overcharge for everything. When I lived there, there was a place called Peter's Auto Works that was impossible to get in and out without spending $800.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I technically live in Portland, but I'm about a mile away from Gresham.

I really appreciate knowing who to avoid. The internet is so overflowing with information now it can be a challenge to weed out the poo poo places.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but a 92 240 wagon is listed for $800. If I could get a functional old tank for that price I wouldn't give a poo poo if it needed some work.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
narrator: it will need all the work

:v:

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

zundfolge posted:

narrator: it will need all the work

:v:

Naw, just a simple heater core job.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

madeintaipei posted:

:drat:

Cold.

Just like most Volvo 240 owners.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I do have a question related to all the searches I'm doing.

Do they make seat covers for the old style Volvos? I'm seeing a lot of 240s and 740s that seem ok (for their age) but have the driver's butt cushion basically exploded. I could give a poo poo how it looks, but I'm not wanting springs and foam to slowly invade my rear end.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level

madeintaipei posted:

I've just started doing this job on my 97 960 Wagon, I don't wish it on anyone. At least the entire cooling system will be new when it is done. I might even be able to fix my AC dropping out when I go over 2500 RPM.

Captain Log posted:

Do they make seat covers for the old style Volvos? I'm seeing a lot of 240s and 740s that seem ok (for their age) but have the driver's butt cushion basically exploded. I could give a poo poo how it looks, but I'm not wanting springs and foam to slowly invade my rear end.

I'm not sure about covers but you could try the junkyard for seats, I got a basically brand new set of leather seats from a 1998 V90 recently.

Also does anyone know a good source of more obscure parts for this car? I can't locate a new replacement rear leaf anywhere and my cup holder situation is bleak even after visiting about 8 junkyard cars.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

The P2 wants her lb of flesh.

The whirr/whine I've been hearing is the bearing on the alternator.
Yay acc belt job do over + spicy parts.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Captain Log posted:

The eBay seller Swedish Auto Lamps For Less (or something to that effect) sells new seat foam and upholstery for the 240 models so you can rebuild the entire seat with their parts if you want. I haven’t purchased it myself but I’ve seen them used in some restorations and the quality looks good. Looks like they also have 940 upholstery but not the foam. They don’t have anything for the 740. You might be able to find some universal covers that fit but I don’t think any vendor sells custom fit slip on covers for any RWD Volvo any more.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Autoexec.bat posted:

I'm not sure about covers but you could try the junkyard for seats, I got a basically brand new set of leather seats from a 1998 V90 recently.

Only if there's a way to swap back the headrests, the iconic 240 headrests form a key part of many of my younger memories :allears:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Captain Log posted:

Swedish car parts makes them for 240s and even sells them on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Volvo-Covers-Original-Upholstery-Interior/dp/B00STS5EHY

Autoexec.bat posted:

I've just started doing this job on my 97 960 Wagon, I don't wish it on anyone. At least the entire cooling system will be new when it is done. I might even be able to fix my AC dropping out when I go over 2500 RPM.

Also does anyone know a good source of more obscure parts for this car? I can't locate a new replacement rear leaf anywhere and my cup holder situation is bleak even after visiting about 8 junkyard cars.
9 series heater cores are cake compared to 240s. They did the dumbest design ever, basically built the car around it. First and last time I ever did one it was like 11 hours start to finish.

I've heard if you find a matching vintage non-IRS wagon you can swap in the solid axle with coil springs, but no I don't think that fiberglass spring will be replaceable. Also some guys put coilovers where the shocks are to help with saggy butt.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I'm jealous of you that have junkyards with Volvos in them. They are rare here, the closest dealer is something like 300mi away.

I've been looking into larger tires for the XC90. Seems like 1in plus a tiny bit is the max increase unless I can magic the spring mount up.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

toplitzin posted:

The P2 wants her lb of flesh.

The whirr/whine I've been hearing is the bearing on the alternator.
Yay acc belt job do over + spicy parts.

*cries*

It's also the A/C compressor.
I think at this point i'm just going to throw my fucks to the wind and get the tune to $tupid power (stg2) instead of modest (stg1) power and beat on it til it dies of natural causes.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level

LloydDobler posted:

Swedish car parts makes them for 240s and even sells them on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Volvo-Covers-Original-Upholstery-Interior/dp/B00STS5EHY

9 series heater cores are cake compared to 240s. They did the dumbest design ever, basically built the car around it. First and last time I ever did one it was like 11 hours start to finish.

I've heard if you find a matching vintage non-IRS wagon you can swap in the solid axle with coil springs, but no I don't think that fiberglass spring will be replaceable. Also some guys put coilovers where the shocks are to help with saggy butt.

Not sure about the 240s but I have to remove everything between the steering wheel and firewall to access it, I was told it is going to take a good 9+ hours, unless there is a better way?

Unfortunately mine's the facelift 960 and I don't think any 95+ Volvos came without IRS (and it has an electronic diff) I'm not sure how doable that would be, especially since there is no seat for a coil spring as-is. Do you have any details on installing coilovers in the rear? Maybe some links on where I can find ones that fit a 97? I can't put more than about 150lbs in the rear before it bottoms out currently even with new shocks. (it is a non-nivomat car according to the chassis plate, the spring is just very tired.)

Also yeah the late 90's-00's Volvos usually show up in lowish quantities in the local pull-a-parts here so I have been fortunate there. I live in Atlanta so they aren't even rusty.

Autoexec.bat fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 23, 2020

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

What's the design of the leaf like? Seems like perhaps a shop specializing in heavy trucks could whip one up out of more conventional materials.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

toplitzin posted:

*cries*

It's also the A/C compressor.
I think at this point i'm just going to throw my fucks to the wind and get the tune to $tupid power (stg2) instead of modest (stg1) power and beat on it til it dies of natural causes.

Yikes. Weren't you trying to sell this car a few months back or am I remembering wrong?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Nope, I still am, but BaT has been busy selling other Rs instead of mine. I haven't gone and detailed and photographed it like it should be if I really want a chance of it going.

I'm probably get the ac replaced by my local cheap guy who just can't do vida stuff, but should be able to handle a compressor no problem.

At this point I've resigned myself to $12-1500/yr in ownership costs outside of basic maintenance.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I was looking through your posts in this thread and there are a lot of aw poo poo moments in there. Glad you were prepared for this...

toplitzin posted:

Maintenance doesn't scare me too much.
I'm used to spending about 12-2500/year on maintenance from having a 02 WRX from 75-150k miles.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level

IOwnCalculus posted:

What's the design of the leaf like? Seems like perhaps a shop specializing in heavy trucks could whip one up out of more conventional materials.

It's a bit of a non-standard single-leaf design where the center 50% or so is flat. I've been leaning in the direction of having one made if I can't locate one and I have had leaves made for my truck in the past, although of a more standard design.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Only if there's a way to swap back the headrests, the iconic 240 headrests form a key part of many of my younger memories :allears:

Oh, sorry I didn't mean put V90 seats in it, I mean keep an eye out for some 240 seats. I don't think 960/v90 seats would fit. I saw a ~1991 240 wagon in the junkyard about a month back so it's not impossible depending on where you live.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

LloydDobler posted:

Thanks for that link. With my leg disability, I'm not going to be going into junkyards and doing seat restoration projects myself. I'm looking for an easy fix and that is perfect.

Hopefully I'll find one without a hosed seat, but half the listings I'm looking at have bad seat upholstery.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Captain Log posted:

Hopefully I'll find one without a hosed seat, but half the listings I'm looking at have bad seat upholstery.

The absolute newest 240s are 27 years old. Even on a museum-quality example, the foam itself is going to have aged a lot and will wear out very quickly with use.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

IOwnCalculus posted:

The absolute newest 240s are 27 years old. Even on a museum-quality example, the foam itself is going to have aged a lot and will wear out very quickly with use.

This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. I'd just want something to put over a seat like that.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You can often still find decent foam in a passenger seat, and they swap over. But yeah long term its life might not be what it was.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Captain Log posted:

This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. I'd just want something to put over a seat like that.

That's the problem, putting something over it isn't going to protect the underlying foam.

The original seat covers in my '88 240 were pristine, unlike most of the interior. But any time I could actually be assed to vacuum it out, there was always an amount of foam dust under the driver's seat. It didn't turn into a full-blown problem in the time I owned the car, but that was also over a decade ago.

I'm not saying you can't find good / good-enough seats, they certainly exist and they're not going to instantly fail the moment you park yourself on them. But long term I would expect to do some work there.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

This guy will teach you how to do it yourself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR0Sx1DhZJA

It's worth watching a little just to see how proficient he is. I don't know if I'll ever upholster anything for real but I feel like I could attempt after watching some of his videos. I originally found his channel looking at techniques for sewing the carpet for my volvo's subwoofer install, but I got hooked. I think he has some videos on shaping foam if you need to adapt some foam to the seat shape.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I'm an idiot. I had a link with a perfect example of the seat wear I'm running into -

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/d/portland-1991-volvo-940se-turbo/7110433934.html

But again, thanks for all the good resources. I'm absolutely OK with having to put some money into such an old car, I'm just trying to avoid money pit situations. If paying 3k will get me something magnitudes better than 1-2k, I'll do it.

I just cannot justify spending real big money on a car that's only purpose will be for me to fart around in.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Do you want a 240 or a 740? My dad has a friend selling a really nice 240 and I know they'd take $3500 for it, but no lower. They're relatively local to you. Here's the ad.

https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=353976

I can't promise nothing will go wrong with the car but they have endeavored to take care of everything. They even did the seat cover and foam replacement we've been talking about.

Do not feel obligated, but if this is what you're looking for, my dad is a pretty good dude. I'm pretty sure you could drive this car for a while without needing to do anything.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

LloydDobler posted:

Do you want a 240 or a 740? My dad has a friend selling a really nice 240 and I know they'd take $3500 for it, but no lower. They're relatively local to you. Here's the ad.

https://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=353976

I can't promise nothing will go wrong with the car but they have endeavored to take care of everything. They even did the seat cover and foam replacement we've been talking about.

Do not feel obligated, but if this is what you're looking for, my dad is a pretty good dude. I'm pretty sure you could drive this car for a while without needing to do anything.

I appreciate the rec and have it in my bundle of cars to check on. It's a little bit over what I'm looking to spend, so I have some lower priced ones I'll probably be seeing first in the next few days. But I'll keep that in the mix. Goon recommendations rarely steer me wrong.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

My stuck sunroof ended up being the right side guiderail - there are a couple pieces broken in the lift mechanism. I still can't get the slide to go back so maybe the broken guiderail was a symptom and not the root cause. Along the way I broke the other side while trying to inspect what normal looked like. The rails are 140 each, but I think I found a lead on a junkyard sunroof for 150. Replacing the whole thing means taking off the headliner which doesn't sound like a quick and easy job. Maybe I can figure out how to replace just the needed bits through the roof :shrug:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I hate sunroofs, and Volvo ones in particular. They are the first major failure point on any of the cars I've had. Lots of little plastic bits on the newer ones that age and crack, and even the old metal ones required lube that was always neglected. My T5 had endless annoying sunroof rattles. I ended up ripping out the sun shade and most of the mechanism to stop the rattles, and built little brackets to lock the glass in the hole. Also it leaked horribly. My daughter's V50 had drain clogs and flooded the interior during a particularly bad rainstorm once, it actually ruined the passenger seat leather. My R had no sunroof and I was grateful. My new V70 has one, and I haven't even tested it to see if it works. I doubt I ever will. If I want sun and wind noise I'll drive my convertible.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level

taqueso posted:

My stuck sunroof ended up being the right side guiderail - there are a couple pieces broken in the lift mechanism. I still can't get the slide to go back so maybe the broken guiderail was a symptom and not the root cause. Along the way I broke the other side while trying to inspect what normal looked like. The rails are 140 each, but I think I found a lead on a junkyard sunroof for 150. Replacing the whole thing means taking off the headliner which doesn't sound like a quick and easy job. Maybe I can figure out how to replace just the needed bits through the roof :shrug:

I ended up doing the latter in mine but the little plastic parts were broken on both sides, same symptoms as yours. In the 960s at least there's really no way to access the rails without pulling it out. The junkyard sunroofs are a gamble though as they could be broken too.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Captain Log posted:

I appreciate the rec and have it in my bundle of cars to check on. It's a little bit over what I'm looking to spend, so I have some lower priced ones I'll probably be seeing first in the next few days. But I'll keep that in the mix. Goon recommendations rarely steer me wrong.

If you aren’t doing the work yourself you could easily spend $3000 fixing up a $1000 CL 240 and still not end up with a car as nice as that wagon, it looks to be very sorted out and has thoughtful upgrades where it counts. If it were closer and I hadn’t bought my ‘84 245 Turbo I would seriously consider it myself.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, I'll second that. The math usually favors buying a nice example versus buying a ratty one and fixing it up, but it tilts even harder towards "buy the nice one" when you're paying for labor too.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Autoexec.bat posted:

I ended up doing the latter in mine but the little plastic parts were broken on both sides, same symptoms as yours. In the 960s at least there's really no way to access the rails without pulling it out. The junkyard sunroofs are a gamble though as they could be broken too.

That's my exact worry. I'm going to disassemble it enough so the rail will go down and bolt the glass back in so I have some time to figure out what to do.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

LloydDobler posted:

I hate sunroofs, and Volvo ones in particular. They are the first major failure point on any of the cars I've had. Lots of little plastic bits on the newer ones that age and crack, and even the old metal ones required lube that was always neglected. My T5 had endless annoying sunroof rattles. I ended up ripping out the sun shade and most of the mechanism to stop the rattles, and built little brackets to lock the glass in the hole. Also it leaked horribly. My daughter's V50 had drain clogs and flooded the interior during a particularly bad rainstorm once, it actually ruined the passenger seat leather. My R had no sunroof and I was grateful. My new V70 has one, and I haven't even tested it to see if it works. I doubt I ever will. If I want sun and wind noise I'll drive my convertible.

Yeah there's a reason I waited most of a year to find a sunroofless T5.
....Most of that reason is just that it takes up all the headroom in a P1 and I don't fit, but yeah I don't miss mystery water ingress or finicky mechanisms at all. The only car I've had with a trouble-free sunroof was my 97 Sunfire, somehow.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

My jetta's sunroof worked great. Had to replace window regulators 5 times though.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

zundfolge posted:

If you aren’t doing the work yourself you could easily spend $3000 fixing up a $1000 CL 240 and still not end up with a car as nice as that wagon, it looks to be very sorted out and has thoughtful upgrades where it counts. If it were closer and I hadn’t bought my ‘84 245 Turbo I would seriously consider it myself.

I'm hearing that loud and clear. That car is on my list but it's not at the top yet with it being at the top of what I'm looking to spend.

There is a guy nearby who is motivated to sell his, so I'm checking that out tomorrow. He already took $300 off his asking price. Is it a lemon? Infested with a family of aggressive weevils? Who knows!

Bottom line, I'm a disabled guy who doesn't work at the moment. Our family (my father and I live together) has a nice car. I just need this car to be functional enough for me to have a social life. I'm looking to avoid majorly hosed things - engines, transmissions, that bullshit. My Volvo from a million years ago had transmission issues and in the middle of Tennessee that was a nightmare.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

LloydDobler posted:

The aftermarket ones weren't any better. My 745 had the Golde hand-crank sunroof. When the left-hand track broke, the best my mechanic could do was beat it back flat and seal with silicone.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Got my search underway today and I've instantly moved the recommended Volvo higher up on my list. The car was functional, but Jesus it needed all sorts of little jobs done, jobs I can't do myself.

But I'll say this - Driving a Volvo that was pretty close to my first car was like going back in time in the best way. I missed those ridiculous tank cars.

Also, people sure are bad at telling you if dash lights are on before you get there. This one had, "ABS/Light/SDS" all lit up. Kinda wish I I got told that before I spent my time going out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
01 v70, rear brake light relay is sticking, so when I park the car I have to pop the hatch and tap on the relay so my battery doesnt die =p.

This is the last issue I have with the car(for now) before it goes into daily driver duty. This relay is a the proprietery volvo double relay, which is discontinued. Skandix sells a set, one has a resistor inside, the other side doesnt, other than that they seem identical. Its like $65 to ship them from europe lol, I couldnt find the relay with resistor on amazon, can anyone help me out? maybe part #'s for both?

https://www.skandix.de/en/documents/product-information/relay-brake-light/3000153/

All the info is above. Im dying to start driving my grannymobile.