Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

literally a fish posted:

hello volvo spergs can you help me out?

The valve? solenoid? (thing? it's got a spring inside.) i've put a red box around is currently held together with electrical tape on my 2004 XC70. I cannot for the life of me find it on any of the parts sites.

The gently caress is it?!
On diesels that puffs up the engine mounts with boostu, so there's less NVH or something. I just unplugged mine and taped the the two lines shut at the bottom when the mounts started leaking boost.

Speaking of which, had to leave the land of happiness and Volvos as keeping the boost inside the engine was tedious (mostly just expensive) after 300k mi. Also the body started to crap out, as did the electronics. Replaced it with a I4 Honda generic family car and the lack of harshness vibrations character in the engine is just unnerving. How can I tell it's running now? :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
In how much of a world of hurt am I in if I want a 3.2, T6 or V8 S80/V70? Looking at late P2 / early P3s here.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

rarbatrol posted:

Have they even existed long term?
In Europe FWD models with 8 speed should have the VEA 4-cyl since September 2014. In the US, first models should be T8 and T6 XC90 IIs.

I know my friend is happy with his, but his is just barely broken in (under 100k) so it's anecdotal at best. Early diesels supposedly have trouble with EGR but most Volvo diesels do anyway when paired with automatic.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

Partycat posted:

I’ve got a rad squeak while driving that sounds like rubber or metal rubbing and all I can come down to is maybe a failed shock mount or something .

I’m moments from going to the dealer to have them figure it out since I can’t , and it’s due for inspection , oil , and brake fluid change anyway. Man I wish I had more space to work on my car .
Is this while turning or on bumps?

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

LloydDobler posted:

Cool facts, the body is the same for its entire run, so the later LED taillights are a bolt-in upgrade for the older ones. Lots of other parts are cross-compatible with the P2 S60, V70, XC70 and S80 cars made from 01 to 07-09 as well. You can even manual swap them, I believe parts are bolt-in.
Yup, the XC90 came as manual with the 5-cyl in Europe. I just don't think the manual would suit the car well.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
Was S80 P2 T6 or 2.9 ever available in manual in RHD? I have severe Stockholm (Gothenburg?) syndrome

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
You can tell easily P3 cars are among Ford designed as they cheapened out on every aspect, for example rust proofing and interior (door cards especially).

The 2007 Mondeo is based on the same EUCD platform which is why people think that they're basically Volvo's underneath. You could even briefly get the Mondeo with the Volvo I5.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
Are you both in the US? Volvo's are/were (from Göthenburg) built to order, so maybe the importer / whoever sold those didn't just specify that for lower trims.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

MrOnBicycle posted:

I'm pretty sure one (or more) injectors are shot on my Dads 2014 D3 V70 (5-cyl diesel). Superclattery under load esp. at the lower RPM. Slowing down by engine breaking does not make a sound. What's the best way of DIY confirming this theory and/or work out which injector that is bad (my god they are expensive...). At least my Icarsoft code reader can recode the new one after I replace them.

It's almost embarassing how loud it is at times when it's at its worst.
Does it have difficulty starting, especially warm? That was the tell my injectors going bad. Would start, stumble, turn off.

Engine braking should shut off the injectors, so that's a good tell there too, but it could be the flywheel? I'm not sure if those later cars have the dual mass that under a low RPM can be clattery and are considered a wear item.

I'd just get new injectors, they've come down on price. You'll just need to make sure they're rated the same (class 1-5) or you'll need to recode, which is going to require VIDA.

E: you should be able to unplug injectors one by one and see if it affects idle.

Kivi fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

Sagebrush posted:

small with a tight turning circle
Sure pal :v: