Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Anyone in Europe looking to buy a Volvo with the D5 engine in a model year '03 and before (S60, S80 & XC90) then check to see if the injectors have been replaced. If they haven't - don't buy the car. The Bosch injectors are a big problem on the older versions of these engines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I get 45 mpg from my Diesel S80 :smug:

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

This link http://www.volvocars.com/se/sales-services/sales/tyre/valj-ratt-falg/pages/default.aspx shows you what different wheels look like on loads of different models.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Cakefool posted:

Having got bored looking at every cheap lovely volvo within 100 miles, I've doubled my budget. Can someone tell me what to avoid before 2004 on a manual diesel v70 please?

Pre-2004 the Volvo D5 engine was prone to injector failures. At about £1200 each, make sure that the car you are looking at has had them changed.

Also, 96,000 miles is the service when the cambelt is changed - if you get it done at a Volvo dealership it'll cost > £500.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Cakefool posted:

How can I tell? Also am I right in thinking 200,000 miles is no biggy for these engines?

You should ask the owner and look to see the paperwork from when it was done.

I reckon 200,000 is no problem if it has been regularly serviced. I have a 2004 S80 D5 with just over 150k on it and the engine is fine.

EDIT: Check this link out
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/volvo/v70xc70-2000/?section=bad
Lots of things to look out for.

biglads fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 10, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Casao posted:

So, turns out what I'd misremembered as an S60 is actually a 2004 S80 with 55k miles on it, and it's in awesome condition. This thing owns.

I know the earliest ones were reputed to have electrics by the Amish, but I too have a 2004 S80 and it is loving awesome.