Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
So looks like I am now the proud owner of a 2009 Volvo V50 with 75k miles. Planned usage is as a beater to drive our dog around in/take to the grocery store on occasion. Anything I should know about this thing? Is it going to be a PITA to own?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I am now the proud owner of a 2009 V50. Got it from copart for $3k, and had a friend fix the (minor damage). Drove it home yesterday without issues, other than the Bluetooth not working. Is this something that's worth fixing, or should I just stream with a dongle? Hopefully this will be a good beater.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

LloydDobler posted:

Nice pull, how many miles? My daughter loves hers. I'm not comfortable in it for long trips but it's got gobs of power and everything works.

Only 78k, so pretty minimal.

The stereo isn't a huge deal since this is primarily a car for local grocery trips/dog park, but was hoping it was just a small module somewhere or something.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

LloydDobler posted:

The funny part is that on P80, P1, and P2 vehicles it's one of those things that it gets spread around the boards because it is one of those non intuitive problems that does get solved with the suggested repair. I did it the first time on my daughter's V50. For some reason, the AC would only go in 15 minute bursts where the light would be on but it would obviously be off due to hot moist air coming out the vents. Let it rest a few minutes and it'd work again.

Measure AC clutch gap, oh look it's wide. Remove shims, no more problem. It's almost like it doesn't have enough current to hold it shut so it just releases without cutting power. The system doesn't think it's off but it is. Not sure if there's a good logical explanation but the fix does work if a wide clutch gap is the problem.

It wouldn't be my go-to on a car that new though.

Wait wait, what's this? Yesterday I could swear the AC on my V50 wasn't working in the 90 degree heat. Cycle on and off and things are working. Is this a thing?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Has anyone here had experience with the OSD (overseas delivery) program at Volvo? It seems...almost like a great deal? A discount (albeit from MSRP) on the car, flight to Europe, and a day or two in a hotel. From what I gather, some people say it can take some time to get your car (9-10 months?), which wouldn't be a huge deal but it'd require some planning. Sounds like you may also get access to some additional options that aren't usually available on US cars? And hopefully the world isn't over by then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

The Meat Dimension posted:

I haven’t and won’t for the foreseeable future, but if you’re interested in what’s able to be ordered there’s the page on flyvolvo

Yeah the pricing seems pretty attractive compared to MSRP (although I'm not sure what real world pricing ends up being).

I've heard you can get different colors as well...