Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
MBAs, baby

https://twitter.com/Devin_G_Pope/status/1482056063134404610?s=20

https://twitter.com/Devin_G_Pope/status/1482061921306263555?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

This is one of the behavioral classics. If you offer thanks people will give blood for the better of their community. If you put a dollar amount on it people become acutely aware what their bodily fluids are worth

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

champagne posting posted:

This is one of the behavioral classics. If you offer thanks people will give blood for the better of their community. If you put a dollar amount on it people become acutely aware what their bodily fluids are worth

https://twitter.com/Devin_G_Pope/status/1482056065181171713?s=20

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

welp serves me right for trying to remember what I heard on This American Life years ago

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

If a professor asked me an 'obvious' question like that in a psychology class, I would assume it was a trick question. And it's not a crazy prediction - everyone has heard about the daycare that started charging a $50 fee for picking up your kid late and saw the number of late pickups increase.

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 15, 2022

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I don't know who Devin Pope is but he really sounds like a insufferable jackass in those tweets.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Lockback posted:

I don't know who Devin Pope is but he really sounds like a insufferable jackass in those tweets.

Well yeah, he teaches an MBA class, it's a prerequisite for that job

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Don't coronavirus vaccination rewards and lotteries provide good data on this? As I recall the lotteries worked for about a week or two then people expected to be paid, so grocery stores and stuff started giving out coupons. When I got boosted I was surprised to get a 10% off coupon, so they backfired on that one because I went and stocked up near the coupon limit, but went there trying to find a booster not a coupon.

When I was reviewing the tradeoffs between the old and new job I really only compared salary and validated that health care wasn't going to jump $500/mo or something. Honestly though I slightly goofed (for the better) because the new place has better phone reimbursement and buys us lunch more regularly, which over the course of the monthly budget actually becomes measurable.

ps Speaking of blood, I'm over making GBS threads up the PYF Mhmm thread with incentive-based blood drives for gay men now that they are considering a shortage-driven donation rules change.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Saw a great tweet the other day:

https://mobile.twitter.com/CarlaNotarobot/status/1481458190722207747

Incredibly accurate :lmao:

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

:perfect:

My database wipe from a few years back is still the measuring stick for fuckups in my unit and the example used when teaching new hires the importance of regular backups.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I was investigating database performance issues once and (after an hour or so of narrowing things down to hardware IO and the disk not the bus) I turned on scsi debugging to get more data. That wasn't yielding much so I added another flag. Still nothing, let's see if this works at all, so I enabled all the scsi debugging flags.

(insert scene of Dave heading into the monolith in 2001)

After the 30 minute outage the database had been rebooted and all was well!

Smithwick
Jun 20, 2003

There was the time I accidentally zeroed out the entire forecast in the financial planning system at a Fortune 100. Over the next 6 years I got promoted three times

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It is honestly kind of heartwarming in a “oh my sweet summer child” way when a jr employee is freaking out about loving up and you can tell them it’s all good don’t sweat it. Everyone has a story about how they hosed up way worse than you just did myself included.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

That time I banned explorer.exe on 45,000 endpoints. Yay automation scripts!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
My coworker was all upset the other day because I’d misspelled the name of a supplier in an email.

I was like “is anyone going to die? Are we losing money? No? Go back to bed.”

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

My coworker was all upset the other day because I’d misspelled the name of a supplier in an email.

I was like “is anyone going to die? Are we losing money? No? Go back to bed.”

"How does your mistake compare to (1) blocking the Suez canal for a week, (2) spending 20 years and $trillion only to replace the Taliban with the Taliban, or (3) kicking Hitler out of art school? Not even close? You're doing fine."

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Last FT gig my Boss did a production update to a billing system at 9pm that overnight billed customers for about $5m incorrectly. I had to clean it up because he was “sick”. He wasn’t fired and in fact was promoted not long after.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Our service team sent us a spreadsheet of demo accounts they needed locked out, asked us if we can automate it. Sure, no prob.

Oh great, can we send you all the EU ones to do too?

Sure no problem.

The next spreadsheet was a spreadsheet of all EU accounts, and they simply hid the rows they didn't want closed. We were running a quick script that didn't give a poo poo if the hidden flag was set, and when we opened the spreadsheet looked like all demos to us!

"Hey, Lockback, we're getting reports from a bunch of EU clients they can't login? Any idea?"

"Uhhh, small thing. No biggie, give us a second" :sweatdrop:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
lmao.

i was incidentally wondering if there was an excel macro command for hidden rows/columns the other day

had to send a spreadsheet to the govt that included stuff that had already been sent but with the rows in question hidden and was thinking if there was a way for scripts that automatically extract that but ignored those

then again, it being the government, yeah

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Did you work at the same company as Handsome Ralph?

Old post but lol.

I think I mentioned it at some point but my company got bought out by a bigger company. So far they’ve kept all of us and it seems likely that they’ll just get rid of redundancies in HR, accounting, etc. and leave product teams alone. The one bit of good news is it seems all but certain that the new bosses are going to tell people they are fine to just WFH full time, which is funny considering my history with this job/prior company. That and our benefits are better than they were before. Cheaper too.

With all of that said, one of my colleagues is retiring at the end of the month, because in his words “This job was fine when it was just a job, and I didn’t have to deal with so much bullshit. Now, I don’t need to bother with whatever Agile bullshit they are pushing on us for whatever reason along with the constantly changing expectations and responsibilities I didn’t sign up for.” This is mostly due to our unit director basically pushing Agile and JIRA ticketing onto editorial teams where it makes zero sense to do so and constantly shuffling people around instead of just letting us get our work done. Like I’m all for learning new things, but it gets really loving old having to constantly train random people who get put on my team on a temp basis so they can just “learn things” and vice versa.

Anyways the news of this opened the floodgates between myself and my other colleagues sans my boss. And it was clear from chatting with them that I wasn’t alone in my desire to bounce the gently caress out last year. With the holidays over, I need to renew my job hunt. I just wish it wasn’t so draining, I sent off like 25-30 apps last Fall and only got one interview out of it.

Or maybe I’ll get lucky and one of the redundancies will be the director constantly trying to micromanage people to the point of frustration.

MrAmazing
Jun 21, 2005

theHUNGERian posted:

"How does your mistake compare to (1) blocking the Suez canal for a week, (2) spending 20 years and $trillion only to replace the Taliban with the Taliban, or (3) kicking Hitler out of art school? Not even close? You're doing fine."

Number (1) was a great tool for calming down junior staff for about 3 months.

"OMG, this partner is going to kill me"
*sends meme* "If the answer is no, just tell them how you're planning to fix it and get on with your day"

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Tibalt posted:

If a professor asked me an 'obvious' question like that in a psychology class, I would assume it was a trick question. And it's not a crazy prediction - everyone has heard about the daycare that started charging a $50 fee for picking up your kid late and saw the number of late pickups increase.

Not only that, but who knows whether the same change to incentive creates the same behaviour in the blood donation context compared to the daycare pickup context. It's a huge disservice for a prof to just say OMG THE ANSWER IS SO OBVIOUS loving MBA STUDENTS ARE DUM

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I don't know. In all honesty, and I hate to say it, but the MBA students may have answered correctly. Of course once they obtain an MBA their answers are wrong (by definition) (sorry present company excluded), but perhaps as students they remember their employers giving them "rewards":

Thank you for the awesome year! One lucky employee (out of 100) who fills out the survey will get a $10 (coffee) gift card!

The team with the lowest outage time for the year gets a free lunch! (We bought them one of each of eight half sandwiches from Subway)

We've created a team reward area. When you feel you've done a great job, go get your reward! (bowl of Skittles)

Friday afternoon party! (Please continue answering phones and responding to tickets and email, especially if you're on call) (no liquor)

Rewarding a large group of people is expensive, and when half of them are expecting an all-expenses-paid trip to Hawaii, and they want you to cover daycare for their kids that whole week, and it should be on a cruise ship too by the way, but one-way flight back because by that point they "don't want to deal with it", a twenty person team is going to cost you $100-200k... because they produced a few more widgets this quarter? It would be easier to reward them by hiring additional headcount like they've been complaining about.

So yeah, $10 for my blood? "Maybe someone else will pay more!" (insert scams)

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Rewarding a large group of people is expensive, and when half of them are expecting an all-expenses-paid trip to Hawaii, and they want you to cover daycare for their kids that whole week, and it should be on a cruise ship too by the way, but one-way flight back because by that point they "don't want to deal with it", a twenty person team is going to cost you $100-200k... because they produced a few more widgets this quarter? It would be easier to reward them by hiring additional headcount like they've been complaining about.

So yeah, $10 for my blood? "Maybe someone else will pay more!" (insert scams)

You're not wrong, but there's a large gap between a slice of lovely cheap pizza and a week in an all-inclusive resort in Hawai'i.

As an example, here's a few tips for rewarding 20 people outside of regular bonuses that you can have for free:

"As a thank you for your hard work in making more widgets, there's an extra $500 bonus in your next pay." 10 grand, everyone's happy.

"As a thank you for your continued efforts, this coming Friday we're closing the office at 12 noon with everyone receiving full pay for the day." A few grand, depending on individual salaries, everyone happy.

"As a little pick-me-up today, there will be an ice cream van out front during lunch with all-you-can-eat soft serve." A couple hundred bucks, happy people.

There are SO many options to go just a little above and beyond for your team, but YOU need to go to bat for them as their manager and demand budget for out-of-cycle staff rewards.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Baggins posted:

"As a thank you for your continued efforts, this coming Friday we're closing the office at 12 noon with everyone receiving full pay for the day." A few grand, depending on individual salaries, everyone happy.

Unless you work in some kind of manufacturing facility or environment where hours directly = revenue, there is a good chance this is a zero cost benefit, because you haven't changed any deliverable timelines or expectations. You're paying people for what they produce not how long their butts are in their seats.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

Unless you work in some kind of manufacturing facility or environment where hours directly = revenue, there is a good chance this is a zero cost benefit, because you haven't changed any deliverable timelines or expectations. You're paying people for what they produce not how long their butts are in their seats.

I mean, there's always changes to deliverable timelines so it's a matter of how much headwind you are adding but generally I've found doing things like early fridays or comp time usually don't "cost" nearly as much as the benefit you get out of them.

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!

Jordan7hm posted:

Of course, but for people in those careers there are other things you can do as well. Buy lunch that isn't a single slice of the cheapest pizza you can find, tell them in 1-2-1s that you are appreciative of their efforts, go to bat for pay rises and bonuses, work with production managment to schedule downtime and prorate the productivity targets...

Stop claiming that you can't appreciate your staff in ways beyond cheap poo poo. You CAN, you just don't want to.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Baggins posted:

Of course, but for people in those careers there are other things you can do as well. Buy lunch that isn't a single slice of the cheapest pizza you can find, tell them in 1-2-1s that you are appreciative of their efforts, go to bat for pay rises and bonuses, work with production managment to schedule downtime and prorate the productivity targets...

Stop claiming that you can't appreciate your staff in ways beyond cheap poo poo. You CAN, you just don't want to.

I don't think that's what he was saying.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Baggins posted:

You CAN, you just don't want to.
Nice thread title. :)

I was saying two things, but as far as corporate, correct, they aren't interested in bothering to come up with rewards. "Your continued employment with our gracious holy corporation shall be predicated upon your infinite praising. Your reward is that you are granted an audience (us) to praise."

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

We need to make a payment to a supplier overseas.

Bank - rightfully - insist that we confirm the banking information verbally with supplier before sending the wire.

AP is not allowed to make long distance call, so they have to get the company controller involved.

We are a billion dollar company.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

FrozenVent posted:

Bank - rightfully - insist that we confirm the banking information verbally with supplier before sending the wire.

AP is not allowed to make long distance call, so they have to get the company controller involved.

lol what the hell

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

This is triggering. Years ago when I was an engineer in a client-facing role we hit this around a call to Canada of all places. I was like 24 and I frickin LAID INTO our prob 50 year old facilities person who was stuck in a 1980s "Of course long distance calling will get abused, how else can you talk to people overseas?" while a go-live on a 6 figure deal was in jeopardy.

If I remember I think I found some kind of old-school call conferencing that I signed up for a free trial to make it work, but jfc that was such a great example of penny-wise, pound-foolish.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

Can you not hop on loving zoom, JFC

Mantle
May 15, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

Please fill out the requisition form to have IT install software on your laptop signed off by your manager with business justification and one director-level executive approving budget and someone will respond to you in 2 days to schedule an appointment with you

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Mantle posted:

Please fill out the requisition form to have IT install software on your laptop signed off by your manager with business justification and one director-level executive approving budget and someone will respond to you in 2 days to schedule an appointment with you

at this point like even the worst corp environment has some kind of web conferencing software

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

at this point like even the worst corp environment has some kind of web conferencing software
right, 2 years ago it would have been a PITA but in TYOOL 2022 i don’t believe it could be.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

We don’t have Zoom, we have Team. Even when we used Zoom, only managers had licenses, the rest of us had to content with the free version.

Our Team doesn’t do VOIP, so she would have had to send her contact over there an email invite, defeating the whole verbal confirmation thing.

We have about 300 employees, this isn’t a twelve person family shop. It’s amazing.

John Kelly
Nov 19, 2004

I'm just sayin', I don't like fun
Taco Defender
My company recently told us to stop using usb memory keys to 'prevent hacking attempts on the corporate network'. It's a pain in the butt because I regularly have to receive large files from our vendors that cannot be saved on any external file site due to another corporate policy. My computer lacks a DVD drive and purchasing an external one is out of the question.

If anyone wanted into our network they could easily do it by email phishing--I've seen many people (most of whom are over 50) gladly click on any random email attachment sent to them.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

John Kelly posted:

My company recently told us to stop using usb memory keys to 'prevent hacking attempts on the corporate network'. It's a pain in the butt because I regularly have to receive large files from our vendors that cannot be saved on any external file site due to another corporate policy. My computer lacks a DVD drive and purchasing an external one is out of the question.

If anyone wanted into our network they could easily do it by email phishing--I've seen many people (most of whom are over 50) gladly click on any random email attachment sent to them.

This is very common at F100 companies, I'm honestly not sure if it's against our policy here (we have 100s of policies) but I would myself try not plugging in flash storage to avoid unwanted attention from security.

The policy needs to be tied with other ways of storing files like a robust SharePoint, Dropbox or OneDrive setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Just pick up that thump drive with a label like “personal pics” or “patent filing documents” and plug it in at work it will be fine.