Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaded
Dec 31, 2012
if trying to program a second key for vw, do you have to take it to the dealership to get the rfid chip paired? or is there some trick that can be done?

I've found ways to get it to set the door lock/hatch programmed to the new fob, but that doesn't program the immobilizer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
asked on stupid questions thread but didn't get an answer, will ask here because it cropped up again to a lesser extent last night:

Had some slightly weird behaviour while driving this weekend (A4(B6), 1.8T quattro). Drove about 180-200 miles on Friday to the coast with no problems at all (driving through the back roads of the south downs in nice weather is highly recommended) and then left it parked till this morning. On startup to come back, the engine sounded pretty rough, and torque was saying the throttle control was juggling between 9% and 15% and the revs were responding accordingly. I cut power and checked over the fluids and they are fine, started back up sweet and crisply, torque hasn't thrown any codes at me. The drive back was fine, I guess I even pushed a little harder on the way back to test it- no problems, hills and curves with the quattro are really fun. After it sitting for about an hour I went out again, and it did the same behaviour but less variable and it went away as soon as I increased the revs a little (didn't try that the first time, I just cut it).

Now, I did do a throttle calibration thing a week beforehand because the throttle was only giving around 87% with the foot to the floor (as suggested from here, rather than hack away at the rubber pad behind it to give more clearance) so I guess that could be a factor- some googling said the calibration can reset after a set period.

It's about due the 100K service and should be done Wednesday, so I guess my stupid question is should I wait and see if it does it after that still, or is there anything else to check or try before it goes to the shop?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Trambopaline posted:

Less maintenance/mechanics specific question more purchasing advice, I have always liked the idea of owning a second gen Audi tt coupe. Is there anything specific about them I should know if i started shopping for them? Are there any major caveats about owning a relative lightly used 6-8 year old TT coupe? I'm toying with the idea and am curious about what the goon opinion/experience is.
My sister has a TT RS and puts a lot of miles on it. She really likes and hasn't had any issues other than a burnt out tail light.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Letter of the day is F for gently caress gently caress gently caress FFFFFFFFFFFFF

Just got this car a few weeks ago and decided to do the oil change today before the maintenance indicator ran out. Metal in oil sent me to check the cam follower. Holy poo poo I hope that metal is just cam follower material and not bearings.

Audi has an extended warranty on the follower and cam so I just buttoned it all back up and I'm taking it in to service on Monday. Has anyone else had the follower warranty service done? Anything I should be doing other than documenting the poo poo out of the damage? If the bearings got hosed from the follower exploding do they cover that as well?

420Chris
Jan 1, 2005
love weed.
Not all BPY engines are covered for some reason so hopefully yours is, it is quite common as you know, they will do an oil change as part of the camshaft repair to remove any metal, so far I don't think any bearing or engine failures from the metal have been documented, once they replace the camshaft, pump and lifter and the oil change you should be fine.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I was at the dealer a week or so ago getting service records printed off and they mentioned that I was covered for cam follower till 192k kms, so I think I'll be okay.

Some people are reporting that they'll just replace the entire head. I kind of hope they do that and check the bearings. I'm going to be stressing thinking about where all that metal ended up.

8ender fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 4, 2014

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Reminder of those of you with timing belts, don't let that poo poo slide. Here's a 4.2 belt with about 109k on the clock back-to-back with a new belt. Not awful but really squared off teeth and starting to fray.

PS. do you water pump and other stuff at the same time.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I have an 07 GTI with a timing belt (I believe) and have crossed 80k miles. It's been on my mind to at least check it. Is it easy to just check, or might as well just replace it at that point? Is it something someone with basic knowledge and tools can handle, or should I take her in (I'm okay with brakes and fluids, never did much engine work on cars)?

Knobjockey
Jul 21, 2003

Crush your enemies.
Bang! and the alien is gone.
Hear the lamentation of Dr. Vahlen.
Has it always been 4 years for timing belts? I swear it used to be longer.

e:based on this.

Knobjockey fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 4, 2014

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Uthor posted:

I have an 07 GTI with a timing belt (I believe) and have crossed 80k miles. It's been on my mind to at least check it. Is it easy to just check, or might as well just replace it at that point? Is it something someone with basic knowledge and tools can handle, or should I take her in (I'm okay with brakes and fluids, never did much engine work on cars)?

Heres a great step by step write up of what is involved:
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135872

The belt change is... involved, and probably not recommended that you do it yourself if you're not confident doing fiddly engine work, or have a limited set of tools.

That said, the actual work involved is not that complicated. It's just a lot of time consuming removing of bolts and covers, and jacking up the engine in a really tight space. If you're willing to go without the car for a while you could pull it off by taking it slow and spreading the work out over a couple days. It could be a great learning experience. After doing my first timing belt on a Subaru I finally "got" how all the cams and pistons and such work together on a modern engine.

8ender fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 4, 2014

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Go by whatever your owner's service book service. For my car it's every 10 years or 115k (I think), whichever comes first. 4 years seems really frequent to me.

Also, drat that 2.0 looks easy as gently caress compared to the 4.2.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Yeah, that's pretty involved and I don't think I have enough room in the garage to get at it anyway. If I had a second car, I'd consider it, but I'll probably just take it in. Thanks.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
06 Rabbit ~95k mi
Dealing with a catalytic converter failure. Can someone tell me if something sounds fishy or if I need to come to terms with owning a VW?

The CEL turned on for the first time last week (this is when cars start breaking down.. huh...). Took to dealership- They said a clamp for the intake hose "between throttle body and maf sensor" missing, causing a "massive intake leak under load possibly creating missfires". Ok, so I paid the $5 for the clamp and the $217 for labor (drat...) and drove home.

The next day the CEL turns on again! Take it back in, now they say (this is from the invoice) "reviewed history found that last time in cat test was ran and system passed suspect intermittent internal cat failure, recommend replacing cat converter and setting readiness codes".

My question is why the CEL for the catalytic converter issue hadn't appeared until after I had taken it to the dealership for the other issue? I was told it won't pass SMOG anymore until I replace the cat, which will run me $1236 : /. Does everything seem straight? I guess I don't want to trust the dealership because of the costs involved. I honestly wish I kept my first car (cost $1500, no issues!).

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
I have a 2010 (B8) S4 that I recently bought used. It's coming up on the end of the factory warranty in June, and also happens to be approaching the time for its 45k mile service. I'm familiar with how much dealer service runs, but is it worth it to take it into the dealer just this once? There's nothing obviously wrong with it, so would I basically just be paying however many hundreds of bucks for an oil and filter change?

I guess my thinking is that if I take it to a dealer, they may potentially spot any warranty issues (or just screw me over entirely).

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

My grandma has a 2000 A4 1.8T.

Her driver's side sun-visor broke, and it was the one with the integrated garage door opener. Since she has her own garage door opener, my father replaced it with the one without that feature. According to him he snipped the harness off, threw it out and shoved all the wires back into the headliner. :suicide:

For about a week everything worked fine. Now the keyless entry, dome light, and speedo dimmer all stopped working. Is this a case of wires shorting out and blowing fuses, or does it have to do with some crazy stupid BCM Audi electrical fuckery? I'm going over my grandma's house tomorrow to check for blown fuses and to cap all the wires off. I just want to know if this will fix the issue or if I'm up poo poo creek.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I like using the SD card for audio, though I wish there was a way to scan through tracks faster as I listen to a lot of mixes.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

actionjackson posted:

I like using the SD card for audio, though I wish there was a way to scan through tracks faster as I listen to a lot of mixes.

I have been meaning to pickup another SD card for my car. I tried putting in the one from my android phone thats loaded with music, but the car couldn't read it. Do you have to use a specific format?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Negromancer posted:

I have been meaning to pickup another SD card for my car. I tried putting in the one from my android phone thats loaded with music, but the car couldn't read it. Do you have to use a specific format?

I used a SanDisk SDHC card, so you could try that.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Anyone know if the higher end VW Audi stereos are coming with pandora capability integrated? My current car has aftermarket head unit for dvd/nav etc but no Pandora, and when I trade in for the R I really don't want to gently caress around with replacing the head unit as it seems to integrate a lot of the performance/suspension settings. Plus the XM on my current Pioneer head unit sucks donkey balls.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
I'm contemplating a 2015 GTI and would love general impressions on the following options from this thread. I'm looking for opinions, whether something is nice, if something is durabable or not, and or whether it is 'worth' the upgrade.

1) performance pack [10 more HP, bigger brakes, LSD] - fairly certain I will be getting one with this
2) SE upgrade over the base 'S' [leather interior, better sound system, sunroof, rearview camera, touch entry/push button start] I'm strongly considering this because I really want the touch handle entry/rear view camera. My wife's car has those things and I really have come to love them. I've heard good things about the leather interior, but would love more feedback. The upgraded sound system is probably worth it for me as well. I hate sunroofs :\.
3) bi-xenon headlight upgrade
4) adaptive chassis control

I'm not against shelling out the extra few thousand if each of those upgrades is extremely gratifying in some way. But I have little to know experience with VAG and want some expert feedback.

Principal use of the car is daily driver to and from work. Total daily commute is probably not more than 30 miles a day. I expect I'll keep it for 10 years or so assuming it doesn't completely fall apart after the lease is up.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Don't think there is anyone with an MK7 on the forums yet. But the consensus from most reviews is that the GTI PP is loving awesome and a better buy than the R unless you need the AWD which I kind of do living in CO. I'm just counting the days until I can put a deposit on one.

I currently have an 11 TDI Golf and the car has been awesome, but the allure of the new R is just too much to resist.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

Don't think there is anyone with an MK7 on the forums yet. But the consensus from most reviews is that the GTI PP is loving awesome and a better buy than the R unless you need the AWD which I kind of do living in CO. I'm just counting the days until I can put a deposit on one.

I was hoping people from other places that have had this car for a year already would be able to comment.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

veedubfreak posted:

Anyone know if the higher end VW Audi stereos are coming with pandora capability integrated? My current car has aftermarket head unit for dvd/nav etc but no Pandora, and when I trade in for the R I really don't want to gently caress around with replacing the head unit as it seems to integrate a lot of the performance/suspension settings. Plus the XM on my current Pioneer head unit sucks donkey balls.
As of the 2014 models, no. However, that may change since Audi signed on to the group bringing Android integration to cars and hopefully they'll sign on to CarPlay like everyone else has.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

tijag posted:

I'm contemplating a 2015 GTI and would love general impressions on the following options from this thread. I'm looking for opinions, whether something is nice, if something is durabable or not, and or whether it is 'worth' the upgrade.

1) performance pack [10 more HP, bigger brakes, LSD] - fairly certain I will be getting one with this
2) SE upgrade over the base 'S' [leather interior, better sound system, sunroof, rearview camera, touch entry/push button start] I'm strongly considering this because I really want the touch handle entry/rear view camera. My wife's car has those things and I really have come to love them. I've heard good things about the leather interior, but would love more feedback. The upgraded sound system is probably worth it for me as well. I hate sunroofs :\.
3) bi-xenon headlight upgrade
4) adaptive chassis control

I'm not against shelling out the extra few thousand if each of those upgrades is extremely gratifying in some way. But I have little to know experience with VAG and want some expert feedback.

Principal use of the car is daily driver to and from work. Total daily commute is probably not more than 30 miles a day. I expect I'll keep it for 10 years or so assuming it doesn't completely fall apart after the lease is up.

You're just going to have to decide if this is in your budget and what you want for the car. I had to weigh similar for the '14 and couldn't justify the price for most of the options. However there weren't as many options available. How much is the performance pack and adaptive chassis control?

Styles Bitchley fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 13, 2014

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Styles Bitchley posted:

You're just going to have to decide if this is in your budget and what you want for the car. I had to weigh similar for the '14 and couldn't justify the price for most of the options. However there weren't as many options available. How much is the performance pack and adaptive chassis control?

performance pack is 1495 MSRP and the adaptive dampers are 800 [if you take the SE package which is the leather/touch entry/backup camera].

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I would love an LSD on my A3 so I'd say performance pack for sure. The adaptive dampers sounds neat but I'd really want to try them out first. The idea of them changing the dampening automatically and constantly would bring fears to me that the suspension might feel unstable or unpredictable. If the system is done well then its probably awesome.

If the leather is anything like the one in my A3 then go for it. Xenon headlights are cool but I wouldn't spend the money if its a pricey upgrade.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I have the adaptive and adjustable shocks on my S4. If you leave it in automatic mode then it puts the dampers into comfort mode. However, if you start driving "spirited" then it'll put them into dynamic mode. Honestly there's not a huge difference between the various settings. I notice it mainly on roads that are in poor shape or if I'm on a road with a lot of curves then there's a little less body roll with dynamic vs comfort.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I have the Autobahn (leather) package in my Mk6 GTI and love it, FWIW. VW does interiors better than anyone else in their class (as long as you look over the last few tragic years of the Jetta).

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I really like the adaptive bi-xenons and would pay to get them on a new car. I guess it depends on how much you drive at night outside town, though.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

I do a lot of rural driving but the thing is I've almost always got the high beams on anyways.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Snowdens Secret posted:

I really like the adaptive bi-xenons and would pay to get them on a new car. I guess it depends on how much you drive at night outside town, though.

How much better are xenons compared to halogens when the road is wet? Out here the lines are drat near impossible to see if the road is wet with the halogens on my car.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

I have the Autobahn (leather) package in my Mk6 GTI and love it, FWIW. VW does interiors better than anyone else in their class (as long as you look over the last few tragic years of the Jetta).

I was in a Jetta SE loaner last month. Honestly it didn't seem that much worse than any other <$20k car I've been in.

Also the 1.8t is loving phenomenal for that price range.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Mr. Apollo posted:

I have the adaptive and adjustable shocks on my S4. If you leave it in automatic mode then it puts the dampers into comfort mode. However, if you start driving "spirited" then it'll put them into dynamic mode. Honestly there's not a huge difference between the various settings. I notice it mainly on roads that are in poor shape or if I'm on a road with a lot of curves then there's a little less body roll with dynamic vs comfort.

I think for both the headlights upgrade and this adaptive dampers upgrade I'll have to check it out when the cars actually get here.

I'm fairly certain I'll be getting the SE package with the performance upgrade. From what people are saying the leather interior is very nice, and the touch entry/rearview camera is almost a flat out requirement for me. I don't do much more than drive to and from work, all on city streets, always during daytime hours, so the headlights upgrade is sorta expensive for really what will amount to a 'looks nice' feature. The adaptive dampers I'd have to see in action to decide if it brought any real value.

On the other hand, part of me just wants to check ALL the boxes and get a really fancy little car that I'll enjoy tremendously. But the headlights and adaptive dampers are more likely to be a source of frustration in the future when they require maintenance, rather than something I use day to day.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Augmented Dickey posted:

I was in a Jetta SE loaner last month. Honestly it didn't seem that much worse than any other <$20k car I've been in.

I think that's the problem. The "new" Jetta was a huge step down in comfort when they made it start competing in the sub 20k bracket.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

tijag posted:

But the headlights and adaptive dampers are more likely to be a source of frustration in the future when they require maintenance, rather than something I use day to day.
From reading around the suspension doesn't seem to be a problem point. The main issue is if you keep the car long enough to the point where you need to replace the dampers. Then it can get expensive. I don't recall the headlights being a particular source of problems either. I do mostly city driving and the adaptive headlights are nice in residential neighbourhoods at night.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

8ender posted:

I do a lot of rural driving but the thing is I've almost always got the high beams on anyways.

veedubfreak posted:

How much better are xenons compared to halogens when the road is wet? Out here the lines are drat near impossible to see if the road is wet with the halogens on my car.

The xenons own. I have them on my Mk6 TDI and they make driving at night a breeze. I don't think I could go back to halogens. There is very little light out here - none on the roads nearby and only a few streetlights in the actual neighborhood.

Worth every penny, especially since they move when you corner.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
A data point of one, in seven years of roughly daily commute that I run the lights on, I've had zero issues with the adaptive bi-xenons. I'm with Bovril, having experienced them I don't want another car without them.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

So my car decided to start sounding as though I replaced the front suspension with rusty leaf-springs. Turns out I have a swaybar link with a dead bushing.

New one looks a lot less smooshed.

It's amazing how much noise can come from such a small part.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Augmented Dickey posted:

I think they've fixed things since the backlast? I remember my friend's 2009 Jetta did its part in selling me on getting my own GTI, but they had some super terrible years after that and got universally panned for giving the Jetta a terrible interior while chasing the sub 20k market (with the Golf/GTI keeping the more expensive finishes). I'm not sure when exactly, but I think I remember they've recently gone back to putting in better interiors in to the Jetta on all but the poverty spec model, but I'm not sure of the details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Bovril Delight posted:

The xenons own. I have them on my Mk6 TDI and they make driving at night a breeze. I don't think I could go back to halogens. There is very little light out here - none on the roads nearby and only a few streetlights in the actual neighborhood.

Worth every penny, especially since they move when you corner.

Snowdens Secret posted:

A data point of one, in seven years of roughly daily commute that I run the lights on, I've had zero issues with the adaptive bi-xenons. I'm with Bovril, having experienced them I don't want another car without them.

Fantastic. So probably I do want to get those lights.

Mr. Apollo posted:

From reading around the suspension doesn't seem to be a problem point. The main issue is if you keep the car long enough to the point where you need to replace the dampers. Then it can get expensive. I don't recall the headlights being a particular source of problems either. I do mostly city driving and the adaptive headlights are nice in residential neighbourhoods at night.

When you say 'expensive to replace dampers', do you have a frame of reference for what that will cost?