Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

VelociBacon posted:

Hopefully selling my Subaru tomorrow and picking up that MKV GTI. Excited!

E: this happened today! And I promptly did a 3 hour trip to whistler in the GTI. It's not suuuuper quick but it's amazing to have something new and it feels fantastic in 6th. So much grip and stability!

Grats dude!

My single biggest warning/heads up is this: If you put the orange Rain-X washer fluid in your car it will coat the sensor and you will literally always have a low wiper fluid warning in your center dash. It pops up every 10 seconds where the time usually is. You can't clear it. The fix requires replacing the sensor and flushing the whole wiper tank assembly.

I made this mistake thinking I was buying the good poo poo and it made me so mad when I realized it's a known problem. I JUST got the sensor replaced/etc while doing some other poo poo to the car a few days ago. I know I'm ranting right now but I tell every Gti owner this because it's absurd and gently caress rainx.

Buy normal loving blue wiper fluid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

eriddy posted:

I made this mistake thinking I was buying the good poo poo and it made me so mad when I realized it's a known problem. I JUST got the sensor replaced/etc while doing some other poo poo to the car a few days ago. I know I'm ranting right now but I tell every Gti owner this because it's absurd and gently caress rainx.

I made this mistake after seven years of using the orange RainX with no problem. loving RainX. On the plus side, I don't notice the flashing yellow warning anymore.

Or the TPMS light because I have my winter wheels with no sensors on.

Or the CEL because of a MAF fault I need to track down.

*sigh*

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Jesus christ seriously? I've been running that poo poo in my mk6 golf for the last month

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

two_beer_bishes posted:

Jesus christ seriously? I've been running that poo poo in my mk6 golf for the last month
Yeah there are a ton of posts about it on Audi / VW forums. As mentioned the only fix is to replace the sensor and flush the system.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

Uthor posted:

I made this mistake after seven years of using the orange RainX with no problem. loving RainX. On the plus side, I don't notice the flashing yellow warning anymore.

Or the TPMS light because I have my winter wheels with no sensors on.

Or the CEL because of a MAF fault I need to track down.

*sigh*
lol dude I had the wiper warning on for like 18 months and every winter my TPMS comes on. And this is going to sound like a lie, but if I honk my horn my laser detector goes off.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

My newest one: the physical "back" button on my stereo (which I stole from a MK6) skips forward a track. Thankfully, the soft button on the screen works properly.

And for some reason, when I'm playing an mp3 album by the band "X", hitting the "media" button causes the player stop. Only that one album. :psyduck:

Edit: Is this Stockholm syndrome?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I've used both orange and blue in my 11 Golf and never had any issues.
TPS sensor keeps going off due to the cold weather, my year doesn't use sensors.

I really hope I can get my R in before the end of September, don't wanna have to register the TDI again.

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

I was going to say that I run the orange Rain-X fluid and don't have that problem but then I remembered that I disabled the seatbelt warning and TPMS warning via VAG-COM and that disables the wiper fluid and brake level warnings as well :v:

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
I sat in an S3, S4, and RS7 this weekend while waiting for my car to get serviced. The driver's seats are certainly nice but none of the cars had enough head room for me to sit up straight in the backseat. I expected that to happen with the RS7, wasn't surprised with the S3, but definitely was with the S4. I'm 6' and fit comfortably in the back of my '08 A4 avant (and in my wife's focus). What the heck?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I guess it depends on how you're proportioned? I'm 6' tall and I can sit in the back of my S4. I don't have a ton of headroom but it's not like I have to slouch either.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

I've used both orange and blue in my 11 Golf and never had any issues.
TPS sensor keeps going off due to the cold weather, my year doesn't use sensors.

I really hope I can get my R in before the end of September, don't wanna have to register the TDI again.

ABS sensors own.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Just took my 'new' 07 GTI 3 hours up into the mountains to Whistler BC for a couple nights and back today. What a blast. What it's lacking in raw power from my previous car it makes up for in cornering stability, cruising comfort, and 6speed refinement. Everything just feels so crisp and new. Looking forward to driving it with a stage 1 flash.

No bluetooth is irritating and due to a 07 canbus controller if I put in a newer VW head unit I'll have parasitic power loss. A lot of love for pioneer NEX head units - anyone here have any experience with these or similar?

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

VelociBacon posted:

No bluetooth is irritating and due to a 07 canbus controller if I put in a newer VW head unit I'll have parasitic power loss. A lot of love for pioneer NEX head units - anyone here have any experience with these or similar?
If you have the ipod dock (a 30pin connector buried deep in the center arm rest) then I highly recommend this thing: http://amzn.com/B00B52LLJ6 It instantly connects to my iphone via bluetooth and lets me stream music/pandora/podcasts. Owns bones.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

eriddy posted:

If you have the ipod dock (a 30pin connector buried deep in the center arm rest) then I highly recommend this thing: http://amzn.com/B00B52LLJ6 It instantly connects to my iphone via bluetooth and lets me stream music/pandora/podcasts. Owns bones.

I'm really going to have to look hard because I don't think I have a connector in the glove box or armrest, but the rest of the car is maxed on options so it makes no sense.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

I haven't had any power loss issues when I did it. It depends on which controller you have, and I think 07 was a transition year (so I got lucky with mine). However, while I got Bluetooth to work, I can't get the microphone to work. I think it's wired properly and I need to find a VAG-COM to program something...

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

VelociBacon posted:

I'm really going to have to look hard because I don't think I have a connector in the glove box or armrest, but the rest of the car is maxed on options so it makes no sense.

If you have an aux in it should be in the glovebox. It would be on the top to the left of the manual shelf. I didn't find mine until I bought a kit to install an iPod connector and then when I found it I returned the kit. If you hold in the CD button it should switch over to Aux if you have it. I picked up one of these: http://www.amazon.ca/Kinivo-BTC450-Bluetooth-Hands-Free-Input/dp/B009NLTW60/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426252127&sr=8-1&keywords=kinivo+btc450 and it's worked flawlessly for the past two years that I've had it. It has a usb port in the 12 volt adapter so you can still charge your phone with it plugged in and it has a built in mic that picks up audio pretty well.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hansolio posted:

If you have an aux in it should be in the glovebox. It would be on the top to the left of the manual shelf. I didn't find mine until I bought a kit to install an iPod connector and then when I found it I returned the kit. If you hold in the CD button it should switch over to Aux if you have it. I picked up one of these: http://www.amazon.ca/Kinivo-BTC450-Bluetooth-Hands-Free-Input/dp/B009NLTW60/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426252127&sr=8-1&keywords=kinivo+btc450 and it's worked flawlessly for the past two years that I've had it. It has a usb port in the 12 volt adapter so you can still charge your phone with it plugged in and it has a built in mic that picks up audio pretty well.

Yeah I have a plastic plate blocking off where that looks like it's supposed to go.

I think I'll just go for an aftermarket double-din solution.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
I have a 2010 B8 S4. While it was parked on the street a few days ago, someone clipped my drivers side mirror. I thought it was destroyed, but it turns out I was able to jam everything back together. However, it's missing a plastic piece covering the bottom side.

I was able to find the whole mirror assembly on rockauto, but does anyone know where I might be able to find a part number for (or order) just that piece? I'll go ask the dealer if I have to, but I thought someone here might know somewhere better than rockauto.

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

the milk machine posted:

I have a 2010 B8 S4. While it was parked on the street a few days ago, someone clipped my drivers side mirror. I thought it was destroyed, but it turns out I was able to jam everything back together. However, it's missing a plastic piece covering the bottom side.

I was able to find the whole mirror assembly on rockauto, but does anyone know where I might be able to find a part number for (or order) just that piece? I'll go ask the dealer if I have to, but I thought someone here might know somewhere better than rockauto.

Is it this? http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B8_S4-Quattro-3.0T/ES443684/ You can probably find it cheaper elsewhere if you search for that part number.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Hansolio posted:

Is it this? http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B8_S4-Quattro-3.0T/ES443684/ You can probably find it cheaper elsewhere if you search for that part number.

Hell yes. Thanks!

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

I'm looking to purchase a 2002-2005 Audi allroad with around 60-90k miles. Is there anything I should know about those particular years, or beware of?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Karl Barks posted:

I'm looking to purchase a 2002-2005 Audi allroad with around 60-90k miles. Is there anything I should know about those particular years, or beware of?

Is this a serious question? How much do you like air suspension and how little do you like money?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bovril Delight posted:

Is this a serious question? How much do you like air suspension and how little do you like money?

Don't those come with the 2.7T as well?

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Bovril Delight posted:

I don't know much about them, which is why I was asking. I'm looking at higher end wagons that are around 10 years old. Sounds like I should be looking for an a4 quattro.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Karl Barks posted:

Aside from the air suspension and difficulty working on the engine, they are great cars. Sometimes the turbos fail, sometimes you need a clutch. Bushings wear out... normal car stuff.

That being said, google, Jesus Christ. The Allroad has such a poo poo reputation that your post comes off as a troll.

http://forums.quattroworld.com/allroad/msgs/14155.phtml
http://www.audiforums.com/forum/allroad-model-line-47/common-problems-112190/
http://www.audiforums.com/forum/allroad-model-line-47/new-guy-allroad-problem-long-151597/
http://www.audiforums.com/forum/allroad-model-line-47/allroad-suspension-acting-crazy-144199/
http://www.audiforums.com/forum/allroad-model-line-47/transmission-toast-35068/

I still want one

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

CountOfNowhere posted:

Aside from the air suspension and difficulty working on the engine, they are great cars. Sometimes the turbos fail, sometimes you need a clutch. Bushings wear out... normal car stuff.
As an ex-German tech, I suggest a HEALTHY repair budget. Probably around 5k a year. Allroads have *loads* of poo poo that goes wrong and is very expensive. Labor isn't the worst (tho its hefty), parts are expensive for Allroads due to specialized limited production stuff...

CountOfNowhere posted:

That being said, google, Jesus Christ. The Allroad has such a poo poo reputation that your post comes off as a troll.
Yep agreed.

CountOfNowhere posted:

I still want one
Also agreed, but when buying one, make sure to budget for repainting the bumpers and skirts. Allroads are sexy when painted, and fugly stock.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Heh, 5k a year in repair costs? Why not just buy a brand new Sportwagen at that point.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

veedubfreak posted:

Heh, 5k a year in repair costs? Why not just buy a brand new Sportwagen at that point.
I suppose it depends on the condition and maintenance, but Allroads have some very expensive things that fail. Maybe 3k a year is more realistic.

I'd say the big difference between a brand new one and used is likely 30k, so that's a pretty big reason to go used.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

To those of you who went with non-OEM head units, what did you do about finding a bezel that fits neatly around the standard double-din? Just eBay or is there a VW part number or? Thanks.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.
Cleaned my intake valves on my 2006 2.0t. It had never been done and has 165,000 km (~103,000 miles)

Before & after:

One of the injectors came out with the intake manifold so I called a local VW shop to see if I need to replace the seal. He said they basically never have to, and said it should work fine putting it back in with the manifold. I listened to him, put everything back together, and fuel is shooting out the bottom of my intake manifold :(

At this point I am so exhausted with the car, and don't have the tool to put the seal on anyway, that I'm just going to get someone else to do it.

Moral of the story is, if you're doing your valves, pre-emptively order the seal kits, and get the tool assuming you'll have to replace them.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Kashwashwa posted:

Cleaned my intake valves on my 2006 2.0t. It had never been done and has 165,000 km (~103,000 miles)

I'm so happy the PO of my car had this done at 130,000 kms. What kind of symptoms were you experiencing with the crud in the first photo?

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

8ender posted:

I'm so happy the PO of my car had this done at 130,000 kms. What kind of symptoms were you experiencing with the crud in the first photo?

The car ran rough and had misfire codes fairly frequently.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
I've always been in the habit of using the parking brake with my DSG/S-Tronic cars to avoid wear on the transmission's parking pawl, and to avoid that unsettling roll-back when I put it in P without the e-brake. However I came across this topic elsewhere and it was mentioned a few times to engage the e-brake before putting the car in P. I've always put the car in P with my foot still on the brake, then engaging the e-brake before taking my foot off the brake. The car never rolls back when I do it this way, which I've always assumed mean there was no stress on the transmission - does it really make a difference?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

mik posted:

...does it really make a difference?

No because if your foot is on the brake the car never rolls forward to put that force on the transmission pawl.

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

Has anyone ran into carbon buildup problems on the 3.0TFSI motor in the 2010+S4 and 2012+S5/A6 and some other cars?

I'm curious because my S4 2010 has almost 40K miles on it; and although I haven't noticed any power loss, I'm not sure if there's any preventative maintenance I could be or should be doing about it.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

There are lots of threads on the various Audi forums about carbon build up being a thing on the 3.0 TFSI. It's usually solved with walnut shell blasting.

A few people are running catch can setups and they say it helps. However, there doesn't seem to be any real silver bullet solution to the issue.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Mar 23, 2015

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Do you remember how we used to breathe and watch it
and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

I came here needing a pep talk about the TDI engines and reassurance that they end up paying for themselves.

My husband's set on certified pre-owned 2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI. It's a little more than I wanted us to spend on our second car. I'm keeping his "old" car for my own use.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Pixelated Dragon posted:

I came here needing a pep talk about the TDI engines and reassurance that they end up paying for themselves.

My husband's set on certified pre-owned 2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI. It's a little more than I wanted us to spend on our second car. I'm keeping his "old" car for my own use.

How many miles do you drive and how long do you plan on keeping it?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Pixelated Dragon posted:

Well the TDI does have a much better equipment list vs the gasser. But if you are trying to recoup the cost of the TDI through fuel costs, it all really depends on how much you drive. I'm barely putting 10k a year on my TDI, but then again, the TDI golf was cheaper than a GTI, and has better equipment than a base Golf. Not sure how much difference there is on a Wagen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Pixelated Dragon posted:

It depends on your mileage per year and, the two different MPG and cost figures. We need more info.

My parents have a 2012 TDI A3 and it's awesome. They also drive ~33k/yr and plan to keep the car till at least 200k, so the MPG difference makes up the base cost difference.

I can tell you that the TDI is pretty maintenance free, all things considered. Tbelt at 130k (folks are doing it at ~110k for good measure) will be $1100, everything else has been DIY. I'm a recently expired certified tech and own a VAGCOM and DSG flush tools though. I think they're at about $600 in parts cost to do 100% of the services since new, including two DSG flushes and 10 oil changes and everything else on the maintenance list.

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 23, 2015