Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

^Sorry I have no idea.

Just put some stoptech street performance pads in the GTI. Have a track day on Sunday, looking forward to it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

New MAF did nothing for my lean condition issue.

Dumped the Big Pig off at Audi this morning. I'm nearly certain there is a vacuum leak caused by the tech last time they had my intake manifold off. I told them they need to get it fixed.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Called the dealer to get a quote on the 40k server for my 11 TDI. They quoted 420(heh) which includes oil change, fuel filter, pollen filter, oil filter and the standard "inspection". Should I just change my oil and filter this time around and save a few bucks since I'm planning on trading the car in as soon as I can get my hands on a 16 R? How much of a pain is it to do an oil change on the TDI? First 3 services were included with the free maintenance. Or would I be able to leverage having all my service done at the dealership where I"m buying the new car when I go to trade in?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

veedubfreak posted:

Called the dealer to get a quote on the 40k server for my 11 TDI. They quoted 420(heh) which includes oil change, fuel filter, pollen filter, oil filter and the standard "inspection". Should I just change my oil and filter this time around and save a few bucks since I'm planning on trading the car in as soon as I can get my hands on a 16 R? How much of a pain is it to do an oil change on the TDI? First 3 services were included with the free maintenance. Or would I be able to leverage having all my service done at the dealership where I"m buying the new car when I go to trade in?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CIbPPJN3Ic

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

Oil change is easy. If you don't have VCDS you'll need someone with it to do the fuel filter. If it's a DSG don't forget the 40k service. If it's not a DSG $420 is crazy high.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

fknlo posted:

$420 is crazy high.

I see what you did there.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Uthor posted:

I see what you did there.

I was going to put "no pun intended" but couldn't bring myself to do it. Seriously though, if it's not a DSG, $420 is way too much money.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Looks like you can't do the fuel filter change w/o a vag-com tool

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Ya, I don't have a vagcom, there's the problem. And no, I have a manual. I'm gonna scoot over to the local VAG tuning shop after work and have them look at it. They wouldn't quote me a price over the phone.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
won't quote regular service interval work over the phone? sounds like a lovely shop

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

BraveUlysses posted:

won't quote regular service interval work over the phone? sounds like a lovely shop

They did my tune on my 2004 and were pretty easy to work with. I kind of had the same question. I don't think they work on TDI's much. They guy said they usually like to do a full inspection first to see if there are any other issues that might need to be handled (90 bucks). I was like, eh.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
If you can, just do the oil and oil filter yourself and find a trusted mechanic off the map from tdiclub.com to do the fuel filter.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

fknlo posted:

If you can, just do the oil and oil filter yourself and find a trusted mechanic off the map from tdiclub.com to do the fuel filter.

Bah, keep forgetting about tdiclub.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Why do you need vcds to do the fuel filter? To run the fuel pump so the HPFP isnt run dry? My experience ends around the ALH era.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yup, air purge

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Oh right on, thanks.

e: Im in CT and have VCDS if there are any goons nearby that need it. Ill give you the goon discount of Ill do it for a 6 pack of something good or Scirocco parts.

shy boy from chess club fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 23, 2015

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

Mine was around 200. If you quote individual items you need instead of the 40k service it winds up being cheaper, at least for the local dealers here.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Bovril Delight posted:

Mine was around 200. If you quote individual items you need instead of the 40k service it winds up being cheaper, at least for the local dealers here.

I may just have them do the oil change and fuel filter change just so that it is logged when I go to trade the car in that everything has been done. I'm not paying 50 bucks in labor to switch out a pollen filter or have them "inspect" my car that is still tight as a drum.

Called a different dealer and 229 for oil/fuel/pollen filter change. not sure why it costs an extra 170 bucks to do the inspections on crap I know is working just fine.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 24, 2015

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

I may just have them do the oil change and fuel filter change just so that it is logged when I go to trade the car in that everything has been done. I'm not paying 50 bucks in labor to switch out a pollen filter or have them "inspect" my car that is still tight as a drum.

Called a different dealer and 229 for oil/fuel/pollen filter change. not sure why it costs an extra 170 bucks to do the inspections on crap I know is working just fine.

They'll do the "inspections" as a courtesy anyways.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Anyone have a wiring diagram for a MKV GTI? Or can tell me where the other end of the MAF harness terminates so I can hook up a multimeter and see if I have a break in any of the wires?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Unplug the MAF with the car running. If the idle changes, your wires are intact.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3298776&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=158#post444065899

I have a MAF code. The system is reading an open signal as if there were no MAF (from what I understand). Unplugging it would have no change as the car isn't using the MAF to run at the moment. The sensor is good (replaced with a known good one). The PCV is good. Up next is seeing if the harness is okay.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Alabamarama posted:

Apologies if this has been covered before, but I am interested to know what it would be like living with a 95 audi s6 avant.

I have done a little research, and while plenty of people are quick to say "yeah they are reasonably reliable" or "good luck ever finding a replacement front bumper cover," I cannot seem to find any information on how much of a pain it is to actually own one.

Does the urs6 suffer from your typical VAG "oh god why would anyone design a car that way?!" issues? Do I need tiny hands to work on anything/everything under the hood? If I want to replace the shift boot do I have to start by removing the trim panels in the trunk?

I am not scared about getting elbow-deep in 20v turbo audi, but it would be really nice to get some extra input before I go and do something financially stupid.

And yes, I have tools, jack stands, steady income, an empty garage bay, and a second vehicle.

My urs6 is my daily driver and has been for over two years now. Mostly it's pretty ok to work on, the engine bay is roomy, and everything is laid out reasonably well. S-car specific parts can be a bother to get, as you mentioned, but regular stuff isn't bad at all. The Quattro world forums are a wealth of information,read through their FAQ to get an idea of what to expect. Overall the car has been as reliable as one can expect a 20 year old luxury car to be, mostly neglected maintenance items. The seats are some of the most comfortable I've had, the ride is good, and it's quick enough for me (for now)

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I don't know what they did, but the car feels brand new after the service. I think it was probably the 40k mile old fuel filter.

Oh wait, I just remembered, there was apparently a computer update. I think that may be why it has a bit more pep. Wondering if it got rid of the 1800rpm stutter that it has had forever that most TDI owners hate.

"Improved ECM software calibration to stabilize O2 sensor MAF diagnosis and to improve drivability. O2 sensor diagnosis too sensitive and contamination of the O2 sensor causing MIL ON with DTCs P0136, P0139, P2271, P00D5, P013B and or P320C. MAF sensor, detection at low battery voltage too sensitive causing MIL ON with faults P0101 and/or P0102. DO NOT replace MAF sensor for the faults described here."

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 29, 2015

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I got a notice for that update but haven't done it yet.

Also, isnt the fuel filter a every 20k item?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Uthor posted:

Anyone have a wiring diagram for a MKV GTI? Or can tell me where the other end of the MAF harness terminates so I can hook up a multimeter and see if I have a break in any of the wires?

It apparently disappears under the rain cover under the hood somewhere.
I've had the same code for a few years now I gave up on trying to chase it down.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Thumposaurus posted:

It apparently disappears under the rain cover under the hood somewhere.
I've had the same code for a few years now I gave up on trying to chase it down.

That's where the ECU is located on my A3 so likely it terminates at the ECU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

BraveUlysses posted:

I got a notice for that update but haven't done it yet.

Also, isnt the fuel filter a every 20k item?

Possibly, but the car had free maintenance for the first 30k so I didn't really bother to look. Go get the ECU update, car drives completely different now. There is no longer a stumble at 1800rpms.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Does VAG still put the fuel filter in a stupid spot like in the B5's (above the tank)? That was such a pain in the rear end.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Timmy Cruise posted:

Does VAG still put the fuel filter in a stupid spot like in the B5's (above the tank)? That was such a pain in the rear end.

On Mk 5 and 6 golfs, it's tucked under the body right by the rear passenger side wheel. Out of the way, but not too bad to get to (just have to be careful not to get a face full of gas).

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
The B6 Passat is even better, its integrated into the top of the fuel tank. It has a retaining ring that is a bitch and a half to get installed correctly, and its super easy to gently caress up the gasket that makes the seal. Ask me how I know!

At least my VW dealer is cool and hooked me up the next day, and installed it for the cost of the flange since I had tons of dealer points to use.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Passat_B6-FWD-2.0T/ES345247/

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
On the 2.0TDI its right next to the washer bottle filler near the left passenger headlight.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
Is the VW EOS (2011+) actually a decent car or is it a money sink like I hear it is all over the internet? They seem to depreciate like a ton of bricks as well.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
On Audi 90/80/4000/etc. its on a rail under the car, easy to get to.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I am about to go to my grandma's house to see if I can get the fuel door open on her 2000 Audi A4 1.8T. I assume there is some kind of manual release in the trunk?

SeldomSeen
Apr 26, 2003

True Story...

I've got a 2000 passat wagon, and I some how managed to break off the attachment point for the hatch lift support. Does any body know how to reattach it to the car? I figured I would just have to take the trim off and bolt it back on, but there is no way to access it.

Pictures to try and make this clearer:

Hole I need to attach mount to
http://seldomseencd.smugmug.com/Other/Random-Stuff/i-3QqK7DV/0/M/20150503_133937-M.jpg

What I need to attach
http://seldomseencd.smugmug.com/Other/Random-Stuff/i-MK2JZ3c/0/M/20150503_134000-M.jpg

Reverse of the pillar
http://seldomseencd.smugmug.com/Other/Random-Stuff/i-XNPQ3LV/0/M/20150503_134008-M.jpg

Unfortunely, the hole shown on the back of the pillar does not give access.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I am about to go to my grandma's house to see if I can get the fuel door open on her 2000 Audi A4 1.8T. I assume there is some kind of manual release in the trunk?

Might be a bit late, but there should be a little lever-off button on each side to allow access to the bolt that holds in the rear lights, on the fuel-tank side, underneath the button there should also be little red thing to pull on to release the filler door, but you might need to fish it out a bit.

andreashammer
Jul 31, 2013
Hi, folks.

I was wondering if any of you have succesfully installed an aux-adapter on a RCD 300 radio (I have ha Golf V, 2006).

I bought this adapter, connected it to the radio from the back and pressed CD twice, which supposedly was it, but it didn't work. I'm wondering if the problem is that the CD changer input which the aux-adapter is connected to is not activated? Can it be activated using VCDS? And if so, how (I've never used it before)?

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Got a 2002 GTi 1.8t with 110k miles, manual transmission.

I'm starting to get a nasty grinding sound when putting my car into gear while the clutch is engaged. Specifically, when in highish RPM's going from 2nd to 3rd. One time I it was accompanied by a wonderful burning smell.
It's also somewhat less smooth putting it into first from a stop and will make an audible "ka-chunk".

I did some minimal searching and I think it could either be my synchros, my hydraulic fluid for the clutch (not engaging all the way) or something worse.
Would something as simple as Pennzoil Synchromesh work?
And where would I check my hydraulic fluid levels? If that's turns out to be the issue would it be an easy fix (topping it off) or would I need to bleed my system?

Or maybe I just have no idea what I'm talking about...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Could be any number of things. Worn shift balls on shifter arm, stretched cables, old fluid, failing syncros, bad clutch.

Start with the easy stuff that should be done like change the gearbox oil. See if your clutch is slipping at all or is stiff to press down. Next make sure your cables are adjusted and that the ball connectors aren't worn.

I've always found the 02J transmissions to be finicky and want to grind and crunch on fast shifts from 2-3.