Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

It was a $500 CAD job for my 07 GTI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
BTW if you have a PZEV model you can check and see if the thermostat is covered under the 15 year / 150,000mile warranty. It is on other makes.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Anyone changed the diff oil on a mk7 with PP? There’s nothing in the manual about it but I’m reading online it’s a 30k service item, which makes sense around that time.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10161299-0001.pdf

Literally Lewis Hamilton fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 16, 2019

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
havent had to do mine yet but i'll probably do it in about 6 months when i hit 30k. i think i'll do DSG service at that time too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW6b5myTgvI

https://www.shopdap.com/vaq-performance-pack-diff-service-kit.html

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Anyone changed the diff oil on a mk7 with PP? There’s nothing in the manual about it but I’m reading online it’s a 30k service item, which makes sense around that time.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

I asked about wagons a couple weeks ago and ended up buying one. Hopefully this wasn’t a mistake the only other vw I’ve ever driven was air cooled.

FancyMike posted:

New (used) ride. I bought a brown diesel wagon with a manual. rip to the old Mazda6 wagon on the right.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I'm still contemplating the Golf Sportwagen if I can make a Buick Regal TourX happen. Grats dude!

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

FancyMike posted:

I asked about wagons a couple weeks ago and ended up buying one. Hopefully this wasn’t a mistake the only other vw I’ve ever driven was air cooled.

We picked up a 2014 awhile back, it's been great so far, minus a missing fuse box diagram, as we needed to replace a fuse to use the 12v at some point.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Red_Fred posted:

Does anyone have any experience with a 2014 era S3? Looks pretty good on paper but I’m interested in the following:

* How reliable are they? Any major known issues?
* How decent is the Quattro system? I know it’s not the “good one”.
* What options are best? I would want Bluetooth audio streaming and reversing camera at least.
* Are they dead boring to drive? I’d be coming from a 2011 BMW 135i which is pretty fun.

No one has any experiences with an S3?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Well it's an Audi, so very probably less than average reliability. The A3, on which the S3 is based has a reliability index of 139, where 100 is average. This is according to reliabilityindex.co.uk.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Red_Fred posted:

No one has any experiences with an S3?

Sorry must have missed this. I have a 2015 s3 that I bought 1 year used, since then I've put about 40k miles on it. I've had no real maintenance issues, only thing requiring service outside of routine stuff was a cylinder misfire tied back to a wonky plug and coil. I might just be getting lucky. It's my first AWD car so I can't easily compare them, but I think the quattro does a good job. Helps get started in slick situations and if you're turning does excellent work keeping it in pretty mild understeer. If you're looking to drift it's probably not the car for you. I'd say it's pretty fun - though there's a big difference in performance feel depending on how you manage the turbo.

Mine doesn't have the backup camera but does have Bluetooth. I use it every day for music and phone and it's good though nothing standout. Doesn't compare of course with apple/android car.

My biggest gripe is the default transmission map is a little annoying. In normal Drive it shifts up super early and the throttle goes 0-100 almost unexpectedly past a certain pedal position. The sport mode has a lot better and more linear feel, but sometimes holds gears way too long even under reasonably soft acceleration. Like, keeping it in 2nd until almost 40 mph when leaving a light and driving normally. So either way it's best to manage with paddle shifters a bit.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Love my 2015 TDI SportWagen.

Even better after the sunroof was fixed :haw:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

All the dealers swear the diff fluid on a PP GTI is lifetime :rolleyes: but it’s done now

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10161299-0001.pdf

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
did you DIY or pay to have it done? how much did it cost?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

I had a local shop do it, I don’t have the invoice handy but I think it was about $100

wasey
Apr 6, 2009
I'm looking at a 2012 A3 TDI with 42k on the odometer. Should I look out for anything in particular? I test drove a Golf Sportwagen TDI a few weeks ago to familiarize myself with the diesel engine but I've never owned one

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

wasey posted:

I'm looking at a 2012 A3 TDI with 42k on the odometer. Should I look out for anything in particular? I test drove a Golf Sportwagen TDI a few weeks ago to familiarize myself with the diesel engine but I've never owned one

Are you primarily doing Highway or City driving? This is key to if a TDI will be right for you.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

If you're primarily doing highway driving but its mainly sitting in stop & go, that pretty much counts the same as city driving right?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Yes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

flightless greeb posted:

If you're primarily doing highway driving but its mainly sitting in stop & go, that pretty much counts the same as city driving right?

Basically, but if you can get decent stretches of 55-65, thats good enough.

I drive my TDI 3.0 in Atlanta's 285 traffic and still get decent mileage, but you need at least occasional high speed highway runs to see the mileage benefits and to properly cycle the Diesel Particulate Filter.

wasey
Apr 6, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Are you primarily doing Highway or City driving? This is key to if a TDI will be right for you.

Lots of highway driving right now. I'm putting close to 300 miles per week on my commute and that is 95% highway

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

BraveUlysses posted:

This is super easy to do, just a little annoying since the diff fluid needs to be within a certain temperature range so you'll need OBDeleven or VCDS to read the temperature.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Can confirm if you are doing highway driving the TDI just own in mileage. If you use it like my family does you will enjoy it. Easily 600 miles per tank.

That is: 40 mile commute including return and all but 3 miles are highway and almost no traffic.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

wasey posted:

Lots of highway driving right now. I'm putting close to 300 miles per week on my commute and that is 95% highway

Then TDI lyfe is the lyfe for you.

Couple caveats: If you plan to change your own oil, ONLY USE THE RECOMMENDED OIL! It MUST be that oil if you have the DPF installed, because if you use anything else, the oil vapors being burned will clog up the DPF and you'll have to replace it.

Other than that, the engines are reliable, torquey, fun, and efficient as hell on the highway.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 26, 2019

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Etrips posted:

This is super easy to do, just a little annoying since the diff fluid needs to be within a certain temperature range so you'll need OBDeleven or VCDS to read the temperature.

Yeah this seemed like a pain and I don’t have the VCDS cable anymore.

Plus the shop cleaned my wheels seemingly by hand which is worth it’s weight in gold because I definitely didn’t want to do that

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I know this isn't an electric/mechanical issue but:

Anybody use those velcro trunk blocks they give you with new VWs? these things:

The fabric on the trunk liner is starting to fray and the blocks don't stick at all anymore. Anyone have any experience with this, or do I just need to replace the mat? I hate to spend $130 on a fancy trunk mat but the blocks are insanely useful for groceries and such.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I know this isn't an electric/mechanical issue but:

Anybody use those velcro trunk blocks they give you with new VWs? these things:

The fabric on the trunk liner is starting to fray and the blocks don't stick at all anymore. Anyone have any experience with this, or do I just need to replace the mat? I hate to spend $130 on a fancy trunk mat but the blocks are insanely useful for groceries and such.
Oh man, I definitely use those "CarGo" blocks all the time. I love 'em. I haven't had any fraying issues, but I wonder if you could get some Velcro tape at a hardware store and just tape over the frayed bits?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’ve had those in several cars and never once used them

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

betterinsodapop posted:

Oh man, I definitely use those "CarGo" blocks all the time. I love 'em. I haven't had any fraying issues, but I wonder if you could get some Velcro tape at a hardware store and just tape over the frayed bits?

It's basically the whole front half of the mat. It seems like the loops are broken and there's not much I can really do except use the blocks in the back half of the trunk :( I'm gonna try a fabric shaver but not too optimistic.

I’ve had those in several cars and never once used them

They're really incredibly useful if you've ever gotten home from the supermarket and half your bags have fallen over and scattered stuff throughout the trunk, for example.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i just used mine for the first time today and i'm a fan. kept my box of selzer cans from sliding around back there.

but i think you probably have to resurface the mat if they get too worn down

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Started my Passat rebuild project thread so I don’t clutter up this one: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3902350

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It's basically the whole front half of the mat. It seems like the loops are broken and there's not much I can really do except use the blocks in the back half of the trunk :( I'm gonna try a fabric shaver but not too optimistic.
Ah gotcha. That sucks. :(

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
I am looking at picking up a used 2015 Golf R, 49k miles, $26,000. Three previous owners.

The car I am looking at has aftermarket extensions for the paddle shifters installed, which makes me think the car may have been beat on. I don't see someone putting extensions on a daily driver. Am I being ridiculous here?

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

SchrodingersCat posted:

I am looking at picking up a used 2015 Golf R, 49k miles, $26,000. Three previous owners.

The car I am looking at has aftermarket extensions for the paddle shifters installed, which makes me think the car may have been beat on. I don't see someone putting extensions on a daily driver. Am I being ridiculous here?

I'd say not unreasonable that at least one owner was hard on it. Also that price feels a little high. I have a 2015 audi s3, same mileage, I'm the second owner, and I'd be surprised to get 26k. Obviously idk your local market though

E: is this a dealer or private sale?

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

A Man With A Plan posted:

I'd say not unreasonable that at least one owner was hard on it. Also that price feels a little high. I have a 2015 audi s3, same mileage, I'm the second owner, and I'd be surprised to get 26k. Obviously idk your local market though

E: is this a dealer or private sale?

It's a dealer, so I am expecting to haggle on both the price and trade in value. The lowest I've found an R for at
a dealership, within a 300 mile radius, is a 2015 for 25k with more miles and reported, unexplained "roof damage" on the carfax. I'm kind of in a black hole here in Michigan.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

SchrodingersCat posted:

The '13 R I picked up in 2015 was listed at 24k, had a few things going for it like a CPO warranty and only 1 previous owner to boot. Chicagoland.

Not sure of your market either, but I'd say it's worth it to keep your eyes open. The difference might pay for your plane ticket & gas back home.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

SchrodingersCat posted:

If they are the bad paddles that come with the GTI, the plastic ones, than I think just about everyone who cares replaces them. It was the first thing I did, and I am not hard on the car, it's just $20 to make it look and work 100 times better. I guess this is a good reminder to replace the stock ones if I ever try and sell it.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 4, 2019

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Rusty posted:

If they are the bad paddles that come with the GTI, the plastic ones, than I think just about everyone who cares replaces them. It was the first thing I did, and I am not hard on the car, it's just $20 to make it look and work 100 times better. I guess this is a good reminder to replace the stock ones if I ever try and sell it.

I looked at a picture of the engine bay and it looks like the airbox is stock, and I see no sign of a jb4. I would think anyone who modded it and bothered returning to stock before selling would have also removed the shifter extensions. Maybe I am overreacting a bit.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

3 prior owners for a 2015 just seems like a lot. Is it truly 3 or are some of them bank loans that were paid off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

3 prior owners for a 2015 just seems like a lot. Is it truly 3 or are some of them bank loans that were paid off?

The carfax shows it as being listed by dealers three times. I think I am going to hold off and find another one.