Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Speaking of coolant, I'm probably stupid, but I'm having difficulty getting my coolant cap off so I can top up my coolant in my 2018 GTI.

It's got one of these caps instead of one of the ones that has a ridge that goes down the middle you can grip onto.

I'm having trouble getting a good enough grip on this thing, and I guess it's under pressure so it's a little like trying to take the lid off a pickle jar. I don't know if theres like some trick to this or I just need to manhandle it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

biglads posted:

Yesterday I bought a 2017 A8 with just under 40k miles on the clock.

What could possibly go wrong?

6 months to financial desolation, or maybe a year if I'm lucky.

EDIT - Picture

Sitting behind my wifes' A4 Cabrio.

Beautiful. Nice wheels. My wife's '11 is sitting on 18" A5 wheels right now for that sidewall. What engine is in that one?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Baxate posted:

Speaking of coolant, I'm probably stupid, but I'm having difficulty getting my coolant cap off so I can top up my coolant in my 2018 GTI.

It's got one of these caps instead of one of the ones that has a ridge that goes down the middle you can grip onto.

I'm having trouble getting a good enough grip on this thing, and I guess it's under pressure so it's a little like trying to take the lid off a pickle jar. I don't know if theres like some trick to this or I just need to manhandle it.

May have been vacuum filled but it still shouldn't be that difficult. Ask your dad/"real man" and be berated.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Suburban Dad posted:

May have been vacuum filled but it still shouldn't be that difficult. Ask your dad/"real man" and be berated.

Yeah the part I left out is I replaced the air intake so I replaced the coolant hose that goes up and over the OEM intake. And it’s a little low on coolant because I spilled some replacing the hose. So it very well may be vacuum filled. I took the return hose off the bottle to release some pressure, but I just can’t get the thing off

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Baxate posted:

I might be totally missing what you're saying but shouldn't you fill the coolant from the overflow tank (where my cursor is here)?:

e: Oh I see, that cap is on the tank. I thought that was the rad cap. Maybe take a rubber glove and try (like a dishwashing one).

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Yeah, I use an Ove Glove if i need a grip on stuff

No coolant light yet so far after today's top up. Will check levels tomorrow when it's light out.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

willroc7 posted:

Beautiful. Nice wheels. My wife's '11 is sitting on 18" A5 wheels right now for that sidewall. What engine is in that one?

The A4 has the 3.2 FSI, the A8 has the 3.0TDI, the A4 makes lovely noises but I'm not much of a fan of the CVT gearbox.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

I might be totally missing what you're saying but shouldn't you fill the coolant from the overflow tank (where my cursor is here)?:

e: Oh I see, that cap is on the tank. I thought that was the rad cap. Maybe take a rubber glove and try (like a dishwashing one).

Yeah, I went and took another crack at it with some gloves and still nothing. The problem is its really like trying to open a pickle jar, but even worse because the coolant bottle curves back up around the edge of the cap, so you can't get your whole hand on it. The only thing you can do is try to twist it open with just your finger tips, and the ridges aren't very deep and they're slightly rounded so your fingers just slide off them.

I'm probably gonna have to pay someone to do this, and I'm gonna have them put on the pre revision cap because this thing sucks. :negative:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Baxate posted:

Yeah, I went and took another crack at it with some gloves and still nothing. The problem is its really like trying to open a pickle jar, but even worse because the coolant bottle curves back up around the edge of the cap, so you can't get your whole hand on it. The only thing you can do is try to twist it open with just your finger tips, and the ridges aren't very deep and they're slightly rounded so your fingers just slide off them.

I'm probably gonna have to pay someone to do this, and I'm gonna have them put on the pre revision cap because this thing sucks. :negative:

Before you pay someone to remove a cap you should at least try a piece of wood dowel and a hammer and try to loosen it up that way.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

Baxate posted:

It looks like there are some holes on the sides of the lugs, maybe you can find some kind of small rod or something to run through there to get leverage. Or channel locks or some kind of pliers spread across to act as a ghetto spanner wrench.

If you end up replacing the cap, there is probably a nicer Audi or Porsche version that will fit if to consider as well.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Anyone know if other cargo covers for different VW models will fit in a SportWagen?

My cargo cover doesn’t retract anymore and just looking online they are nowhere to be found. When you do find the OEM one from VW it is a ridiculous $300-$500 which is insulting. Ebay, Amazon, no luck—but tons of other models out there. Any help on bow to repair or replace is appreciated.

Part Number:
5GM86787145W

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Deviant posted:

Yeah, I know it consumes a little, but I've had to top off twice in 3 days, so I figured I'd have them look at it. It was below Min this morning, i topped it up, and haven't driven it since then. Gonna head out in a minute, see where the level is at, and take it for a spin.

Just pop your hood and take a look down towards the under shield on the passenger's side. There is usually some pooling of coolant if the water pump / thermostat housing is starting to leak. Plus if you drive for awhile and park you should smell coolant in your engine bay.

dialhforhero posted:

Anyone know if other cargo covers for different VW models will fit in a SportWagen?

My cargo cover doesn’t retract anymore and just looking online they are nowhere to be found. When you do find the OEM one from VW it is a ridiculous $300-$500 which is insulting. Ebay, Amazon, no luck—but tons of other models out there. Any help on bow to repair or replace is appreciated.

Part Number:
5GM86787145W

Why doesn't it retract?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I have no idea. It just wont. I pulled it all the way out to see if I could get it to spring back and no joy. Tried to maneuver it back in by manually rolling the roller and no joy.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Etrips posted:

Just pop your hood and take a look down towards the under shield on the passenger's side. There is usually some pooling of coolant if the water pump / thermostat housing is starting to leak. Plus if you drive for awhile and park you should smell coolant in your engine bay.

Haven't seen any of that, and it got me to and from lunch today without incident, so I might be okay. Got one more trip in a bit that's a fairly good distance, so I'll see what happens.

I've been monitoring the coolant temp via obdeleven too and nothing looks out of line

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I'm having trouble finding wiring diagrams and repair procedures for my '06 Passat 3.6. It seems like they may be floating around in some secret handshake way. Does anyone have any links to US/English versions? I found a comprehensive site, but it's all in Russian and more of a pain to figure out than it's worth.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

meatpimp posted:

I'm having trouble finding wiring diagrams and repair procedures for my '06 Passat 3.6. It seems like they may be floating around in some secret handshake way. Does anyone have any links to US/English versions? I found a comprehensive site, but it's all in Russian and more of a pain to figure out than it's worth.

Option 1) You can pay for a day and just download all the manuals/schematics directly from VW: https://erwin.vw.com/erwin/showOrderFlatrate.do
Option 2) The Russian website that has a load of pdf diagrams are mostly in English. It will state (eng.) at the end of the file. https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fvwts.ru%2Fpage09_b6.html

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Etrips posted:

Option 1) You can pay for a day and just download all the manuals/schematics directly from VW: https://erwin.vw.com/erwin/showOrderFlatrate.do
Option 2) The Russian website that has a load of pdf diagrams are mostly in English. It will state (eng.) at the end of the file. https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fvwts.ru%2Fpage09_b6.html

Perfect, thanks!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

There's this site, too, although it's organized as a website so it's not always super convenient:
https://workshop-manuals.com/volkswagen/passat/v6-3.6l_(blv)/

wasey
Apr 6, 2009
I'm looking at 2013 SportWagens and have a question about the early maintenance records, or lack thereof. There are two wagons I'm looking at, both at ~40,000 miles, both with the TDI fix. One's CarFax record shows every 10k maintenance service done and one doesn't have any maintenance records at all. The one with the maintenance records is about $1,500 more than the one without any records (out the door price of the one with records is shy of $15k, dealer won't budge on pricing). Is it absolutely paramount that the 10k service was done this early on? My previous cars have been tanks from the 90s where the scheduled maintenance was a suggestion rather than something to really pay attention to. Thanks!

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

wasey posted:

I'm looking at 2013 SportWagens and have a question about the early maintenance records, or lack thereof. There are two wagons I'm looking at, both at ~40,000 miles, both with the TDI fix. One's CarFax record shows every 10k maintenance service done and one doesn't have any maintenance records at all. The one with the maintenance records is about $1,500 more than the one without any records (out the door price of the one with records is shy of $15k, dealer won't budge on pricing). Is it absolutely paramount that the 10k service was done this early on? My previous cars have been tanks from the 90s where the scheduled maintenance was a suggestion rather than something to really pay attention to. Thanks!

If one's offered with a CPO warranty, I'd pick that one just for the peace of mind. As long as it's obvious the oil was changed a couple times in those 40k miles and the tires it's rocking are less than 5 years old, I feel like you should be OK to go with the one with no maintenance records. Little stuff like air filters and brake pads and just not writing them down are negligible compared to 40k miles of nothing being done at all. And that should be obvious if it wasn't. You might wanna factor in getting the brakes bled, the system can absorb a bunch of moisture after 7 years if it's never been done.

wasey
Apr 6, 2009

NoWake posted:

If one's offered with a CPO warranty, I'd pick that one just for the peace of mind. As long as it's obvious the oil was changed a couple times in those 40k miles and the tires it's rocking are less than 5 years old, I feel like you should be OK to go with the one with no maintenance records. Little stuff like air filters and brake pads and just not writing them down are negligible compared to 40k miles of nothing being done at all. And that should be obvious if it wasn't. You might wanna factor in getting the brakes bled, the system can absorb a bunch of moisture after 7 years if it's never been done.

I should note that neither one is a CPO. The CPO cars are all listing between 13-16k before any taxes/fees which seems a little steep (I'm in the Pacific NW)

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
$15k is pretty steep to buy as-is, at least for my pocket. I'd counter them throwing one in if they want to make the sale. No benefit to buying off them compared to someone off the street who also wouldn't offer you a warranty... besides the available financing.

For TDI sportwagens under 45k miles, I see 14 autotrader listings under $12k in a 200 mile radius of PDX

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

wasey posted:

I should note that neither one is a CPO. The CPO cars are all listing between 13-16k before any taxes/fees which seems a little steep (I'm in the Pacific NW)

Its steep, but people are paying it, VW realized the Dieselgate fixed TDIs are worth gold and are auctioning them faster than they can fix them.

If you look at them, get the VIN, and find out when they were fixed. VW and Audi are offering warranties from the date/mileage of the fix that covers pretty much the entire powertrain and exhaust system.

TDI CAVEAT: If you don't do a lot of highway miles, don't get a TDI. You really need to be doing good highway speeds/RPMs to clean out the DPF proper.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

wasey posted:

i had a 2013 sportwagen tdi and we sent it in with 40k for the buyback.

that model year included free 30k of service too, so it really should have been done (by the dealer). i never had to do anything other than put fuel, wiper blades and wiper fluid in it. tires were toast and the DSG was due for service at 40k.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

If you look at them, get the VIN, and find out when they were fixed. VW and Audi are offering warranties from the date/mileage of the fix that covers pretty much the entire powertrain and exhaust system.

To add to this, if they've been fixed, there will be a sticker on the inside of the hood with the dates that each procedure were completed. I picked up a 2011 TDI sportwagen back in August and according to the sticker, mine had the services done in June. Also, the additional paperwork regarding the new warranty had been inserted into the manual.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
What was the fix on them? Did they add urea to hit proper emissions?

wasey
Apr 6, 2009
Thanks everyone! I've been plugging the VINs into vwdieselinfo.com to check when the fix was done, for the couple I'm looking at the fix was applied within the last four months and within 100 miles of the current odometer. I'm doing a 90 mile roundtrip highway commute to work three days a week which is what made me start to look at TDIs in the first place. Good to know about the sticker inside the hood though, I can use that as a secondary check.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

https://i.imgur.com/TLpRBvJ.jpg

Here's what mine looks like. It's on the right side of the hood above the battery. I assume any of the TDI's that have had the fix would have them but I could be wrong.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
What kind of gas mileage do TDIs get on the highway anyway?

edit: looks like 30/40 for the 2019s not too bad.

Etrips fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 31, 2019

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Overall my ‘11 averages right at 35mpg, but probably about 25% of that is city driving.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

fknlo posted:

What was the fix on them? Did they add urea to hit proper emissions?

software only, i believe

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

software only, i believe

What? Why the hell didn't they sneakily roll out software updates instead of buying all the cars back? :psyduck:

It worked out really well for me as they gave me $19k for my 4 or 5 year old Golf with 90k miles on it, but I don't understand that at all.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Because in a weird twist the judicial system actually did the consumer a solid.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

dialhforhero posted:

Because in a weird twist the judicial system actually did the consumer a solid.

getting the EPA to go for the throat is one of the very few things obama actually did a good job on

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

software only, i believe

Also, they are also changing out the DPFs on some cars to cope with the increased cycles on them to meet the new software changes

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Say goodbye to your inCEL light...

https://twitter.com/labergee/status/1215309207966076928

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
That car fucks.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I posted this in general chat, but reposting here. Awesome site with tons of factory service manuals in downloadable pdf.

https://cardiagn.com/

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

Crossposting a question of mine from the A/T car buying thread:

I'm strongly considering getting into an Audi. I test drove an A4 amid some comparable brands/models and really enjoyed it. I spend a lot of time in the car on some fairly open highway and would like to enjoy it more.

In that vein, I found a used 2018 Audi S4 in Prestige Trim w/ Sport Package, Driver Assist, and a few other nice options with under 10k miles located about an hour away and listed for about $48,000, sold by a reputable looking import sales/service place. One owner, looks like a lease. Is this too good to be true?

Carfax shows the following service all at the dealership that sold it new:

11/13/2018
4,166 miles
Vehicle serviced
- Maintenance inspection completed
- 10,000 mile service performed
- Vehicle washed/detailed

05/16/2019
5,948 miles
Vehicle serviced
- Engine/powertrain computer/module replaced
- Four wheel alignment performed
- Seat(s) checked
- Drivability/performance checked

06/13/2019
6,381 miles
Vehicle serviced

Is this sequence of service visits potentially indicative of a problem? How should I proceed? I have no competence checking under the hood for myself. My alternative is probably just buying a new A4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

The ECU being replaced at 6k does seem a tad strange to me! I wouldn't buy that car or any used S4 without a thorough pre purchase inspection and even then things can still hide in the grass to bite your rear end.

I'm not aware of any common issues with the B9 platform, partly because it's still pretty new but I'd recommend cruising over to the Audizine forums to see what some of them might be.

Oh also if anyone is following my wagon quest from the BMW Thread or elsewhere, I ended up settling for the practical choice of the 2019 VW Golf Sportwagen, got an S 4Motion for a pretty good deal from my local dealer. Now I just need new wheels and tires and springs immediately to take some of the goofiness out of the ride height.