Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

Either VW manages to fix them (which will likely nerf economy or performance or both to the point where they are wholly undesirable) or they will be forced into a buyback program which will ultimately end in the car's destruction since they are essentially illegal imports.

The destruction part likely won't happen. I really doubt a buyback program will either. But yes, VW probably just screwed passenger diesel just as badly as Cadillac did in the 1980s.

:smith: At least I've got my TDI still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

They cannot be allowed to stay on the roads in their current condition, it would undermine every vehicle federalization import law we have and open the door wide open for any sort of gray market import. Every single vehicle has to either be fixed or removed from the road, period.

Its unlikely that the EPA is going to punish consumers for VW's crimes, more than likely all that is going to happen is make VW pay a hefty fine and be required to offer consumers the option to have an emissions system fitted or ECU changes made. That and criminal charges.

The GT-R comparison is not to the same scale, its not individual imports being hunted down its several million vehicles that would have to be found and crushed. Its on a scale of nothing the EPA has ever done before, and is both financially and physically impossible for them to execute the same action as cracking down on people violating the 25 year Import Law.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 23, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Wasn't that Immigration and Customs that seized the skylines, i think some cases of homeland security also?

I agree though, EPA will likely do nothing to the consumer other than a mandatory reflash /fix/etc. If that's the case Malone tuning just got backlogged for like a year.

Yeah, its Customs bag usually for seizures of illegal imports, although I think it falls under EPA regs. Nope, its NHTSA.

Either way, Malone tuning is probably going to be making bank of this.

Seriously, if the NHTSA/Customs/EPA started saying 'Welp, turn in your vehicles to be crushed' VW would have to go bankrupt and the effects market wide would be catastrophic. In a country that bailed out GM, Chrysler, and other automakers, I sincerely doubt the EPA is going to be allowed to get that blood thirsty.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 23, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

Well the EPA isn't the ones footing the bill for it and they have VW bent over a $39k per car barrel. I read 500k affected vehicles in the US.

Again, the EPA would not likely be willing to go to that level outside of fines for VW and mandatory offers of repairs/flashes.

I think, ironically, they would leave it up to VW on how to best deal with the issue of doing so as long as it meets the required year model emissions requirements, and I doubt VW is going to just destroy the vehicles and give people back the money.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 23, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

They were usually seized because of the crash test data and all that jazz, you can make a foreign car emissions compliant. Its just expensive. Ahh nvm see your edit.

At this point, I think the EPA is just going to expect VW to fix the issue and pay the fine. I doubt it'll go any further than that.

I mean, as if that fine isn't big enough. Not to mention the pending criminal charges.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

The question is CAN they fix it? That's the big lingering issue. The cars may very well be undrivable long term with fixes in place. It may very well be cheaper for VW to buyback rather than fix, especially the older ones that have depreciated like mad.

I do think people are being a bit dismissive and naive to think this is going to be a simple ECU flash that they can pay someone to revert and life will go on as normal.

They can fix it, because other manufacturers of bigger engines are capable of meeting the emissions standards. VW may offer a buyback, but I don't think it will still approach the scale of what you insinuated with GT-Rs and illegal imports

And yes, it likely can be resolved with a simple ECU flash that disables the mapping modification and EGR/DEF changes. That's not the issue at hand, the issue is that the cheat was ever an option to begin with, that's all.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

With a ground up design and urea injection. If it was a simple engineering matter to retrofit the current engine to be viable power plant in a consumer vehicle, they would have done it and not risked this in the first place. This went on for seven years. Any simple fix to improve the situation would have been explored by now.

A simple ECU flash is likely to cause massive changes in drivability and anything beyond that (urea retrofit) is going to be massively expensive and invasive. There's no easy escape for this.

They are still unlikely to simply scrap the vehicles.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

fknlo posted:

I think if they could fix it without having a noticeable effect on power/mileage/longevity of the engine they would have rolled something out a long time ago. My money is on them putting in the defeat to get the engines out on time and working on a fix to install at a later point. The fact that there was no fix at a later point is pretty telling.

I think the assumption being they got preoccupied with producing new vehicles and forgot about the need for the fix.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

go3 posted:

Yes they "forgot" about a costly fix that would leave them tied up in lawsuits for a decade

Liars/Cheaters tends to have a hard time following up/covering their tracks.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

It all depends on the costs involved. A buyback of this scale is not unprecedented. Toyota did it with Tacomas.

Not quite. Toyota's buyback was 'conditional' depending upon the amount of rust present on the frame. It was 'their option' whether or not they bought back the vehicle, repaired it, replaced it, or simply warranted it:

quote:

Should a customer's vehicle experience this condition, they will be requested to present it to any Toyota dealer for inspection. Upon confirmation of rust perforation, Toyota will, at its option, repair or repurchase the vehicle. If it is determined that no rust perforation is present, the extended warranty will be in effect for 15 years from original sale.

It also was not mandatory, this was a proactive move by Toyota. No recall was involved.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 23, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

blugu64 posted:

I still think it doesn't matter, that series of VINs should be marked as void and unregisterable, seize crush etc.

Yes it sucks for the consumer, go sue VW.

veedubfreak posted:

How about we go crush all the lovely trucks and SUVs that get to basically ignore emissions because they're body on frame. A CR TDI is still cleaner than 99% of the giant trucks and suvs people drive around daily. Just ban diesels in the US unless it's going in a big rig at this point, the amount of emissions bullshit you have to do to the engine to make it "clean" basically makes it not worth doing. There's a reason that basically only 1 company in the US even offers small diesels anymore.

Pretty much what he said. Even with the cheat and the emissions issues, its still probably one of the cleanest, most fuel efficient cars in the US right now.

The sad part is all the SUVs that are currently dominating the market that couldn't even begin to touch the combined emissions/fuel efficiency of the TDIs, yet they get a pass.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

Moot point. The idea is that the prospect of buying back hundreds of thousands of vehicles is an option that's been explored by an automaker and found to be viable which means it's certainly not off the table for VW.

No, its not a moot point as one would be a recall, the other was not. Two different scenarios.

bull3964 posted:

Again, not one has offered another viable course of action if VW admits "Guys, if we do this flash your valves with be completely caked over in carbon after 10k miles and the engine will basically become undrivable."

The EPA is not going to go "well, ya tried your best, here's a fine and you can leave the cars alone." The emissions must be mitigated for them to be roadworthy and they are only going to attempt to mitigate them if the end result doesn't make the vehicle a drastically different product.

The flash wouldn't cause that, at worse, it would cause the EGR to have clogging issues (yes, they still had an EGR even with the cheat.)

The EPA is still unlikely to demand a universal buyback and seizure, they will probably leave that between the consumer and VW, only demanding that VW MUST take steps to mitigate/correct the cheat and offer a buyback at the owners discretion.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

You are missing the point entirely. Recall has nothing to do with this. The question is whether or not a carmaker is capble of removing a large number of their vehicles from service due to a flaw.

If an advanced EGR inspect/replace schedule would have prevent this from coming up, they would have done so.

The EPA is simply going to demand that every vehicle still on the road is mitigated within a specific timeframe or taken off the road. It's up to VW to determine what that course of action will be. However, that course of action will have fallout. If it decreases fuel economy, VW is going to be hit with a class action suit, have to re-certify fuel economy, and likely fined by the Department of Commerce for selling a fraudulent product. If it decreases performance, they are still going to be hit with a class action lawsuit and likely be investigated and fined by the commerce department. If it decreases reliability, then they are looking at increased maintenance costs over the life of the vehicle. If they push vehicle buyback, they still have the EPA penalties to deal with, but they don't have to deal with the Department of Commerce investigation as the specifications of the vehicle didn't change after the sale. A class action suit will likely lose a lot of it's bite as well as a buyback would likely go above and beyond damages that would have otherwise been rewarded.

This is all just on the federal level though. States get to weigh in on this as well. CA may decided that TDI's can't be registered in the state regardless of mitigation. It's within their rights to do so. Attorney Generals of several states are already starting investigations that could have wide range of consequences.

This is a huge, gigantic, massive deal. It goes far beyond a recall and a fix.

Watch this not happen to this scale. You live in corporate America. Not the EPA's America.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

go3 posted:

Theyre absolutely gonna hammer the poo poo out of a foreign company

I suspect VW would more likely withdraw from the US market. Which means closing the plants they just recently built in places like Chattanooga.

I'm more worried about what that is going to do.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VelociBacon posted:

I don't think you'll see anything nearly this dramatic. They've already scapegoated the CEO who probably had no idea this was even happening in his company and they'll pay a fine and move on. People will forget about this by and large.

I hope so. And you are more than likely correct, and like many companies before their fine won't even be 1/10th of max.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

go3 posted:

an EPA fine is the least of their worries

What, criminal proceedings? Someone will take the fall, sure. Recalls? Something will be figured out.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

go3 posted:

The United States is not going to let the EPA hand out a death blow to Volkswagen. It would be the worse thing for US/Germany relations since the Eighth Air Force came to town.

What there isn't a limit on is the damage VW just did to clean diesel specifically and its brand overall. If I was a dealer I'd seriously be looking at breach of contract on the part of VW and getting the gently caress out. In 10 years VW is going to wish the loss was only 18b.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is some sort of political sit down over this between Germany and the US.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VelociBacon posted:

I would be. It's not a political issue, Germany has not wronged anyone, it's a private automaker.

Volkswagen Group is the 11th largest company in Germany, and this hits the EU as well. It wouldn't surprise me.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cockmaster posted:

Some have speculated that because of VW, diesel passenger cars basically have no future in the US from here on out.

Though the mainstream auto industry starting to take electric cars seriously may also be a contributing factor.

Even with electric cars, diesel had a future. Probably not anymore, thanks VW.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

Some analysts are speculating that the extreme drop in stock price could make them a takeover target for Fiat since they've been looking for a partner. Doubt it will happen, but you never know after all the financial realities shake out.

Chrysler and VW under the same roof? What could go wrong?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

daslog posted:

Yes they did. I was thinking they will stop forever....

I really hope not :(

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
http://jalopnik.com/german-magazine-claims-the-bmw-x3-diesel-also-violates-1732767600?rev=1443099960162

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Nothing but moving LA is going to permanently solve LA's smog issues. That or electric cars all around.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

tijag posted:

The air quality in LA is so much better now than when I was in elementary school in the 80's. I suppose it's not clean country air, but considering there are a lot more cars now than there were then, and the air is a lot cleaner now than it was then, I'd say that CARB is doing pretty good.

:thejoke:

I was trying to be funny.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

via posted:

So what would happen if they road-tested every manufacturer's standard-bearing models for fidelity to stated emissions numbers? Cause no one's talking about doing that, just other VW models because of the admitted defeat device.

Nope. CARB, the EU, and the EPA have all said they plan to start testing everyone. So, if anyone else is doing it, we'll know soon enough.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
http://fourtitude.com/news/audi-rumors-renders-spy-photos/hackenberg-and-hatz-departures-being-reported-as-part-of-diesel-fiasco/

quote:

Executive damage at the Volkswagen Group isn’t over yet according to a report from the German publication Bild. Confirmation from Volkswagen has yet to be made, but the Bild report suggests Dr. Ulrich Hackenberg (Audi’s head of R&D) and Wolfgang Hatz (Porsche’s head of R&D) will also leave the company following a supervisory board meeting Friday (tomorrow).

Yesterday saw the resignation of Dr. Martin Winterkorn as CEO of the Volkswagen Group. That announcement came with communication from the company’s supervisory board suggesting no stone would be left unturned in the investigation into this matter.

If the Bild report is correct, Hackenberg and Hatz will also be added to the list of departures. Though currently at Audi and Porsche respectively, both worked under Winterkorn at Volkswagen during the time these engines were being developed. Volkswagen of America boss Michael Horn has also been mentioned as possibly leaving and this probably isn’t the end of this story when it comes to executives leaving the company over this matter.

If the Bild report is true, such a move will be hard felt at Audi. Hackenberg’s return to Ingolstadt as head of R&D two years ago has seen a reinvigoration of the brand, with new design direction and aggressive product development particularly (and ironically) in the direction of electric mobility.

Wolfgang Hatz was also instrumental at Audi over his long and storied career. During his term at Audi, he fostered the move to FSI for petrol engines and was a strong advocate for pushing the envelope technologically. At Porsche he is also largely the man attributed with that marque’s return to the top tier of sportscar racing with their LMP1 program.

We find it hard to believe that either of these hyper experienced engineers would have signed off on such an emissions dodge, but whether or not they knew about it may not matter in the end. Given all of the good and ground-breaking technology we’ve seen both men bring to the table for Audi over the years, we’re hoping they manage to pull through this.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
:shrug: Meh, my dad is panicking about his 2010 TDI.

But mine is a 98 with a 2001 motor. So it doesn't affect me.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/09/25/us-volkswagen-emissions-idUSKCN0RP14U20150925

It has been confirmed that emissions tests were rigged on 2.8 million VW vehicle in Germany alone. So, US is going to be just a drop in a bucket, it's looking more and more like that 11 million number is more accurate.

Its been fun VW. Survived World War 2 only to be destroyed by your own hubris.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

8ender posted:

Then I buy a heavily discounted TDI to replace my wife's aging Corolla.

And then you chip it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

I Am Not Spor posted:

Malone goes public, IPO is in the billions, buys VW.

Circle of life.

Like I've said, Malone is going to be rolling in dough at the end of this, one way or the other.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

Well, I doubt there will be a global buyback. But the 500,000 US vehicles are much more likely, especially if they are trying to repair their reputation.

Flashing someone's Jetta into losing 10% of its power and 20% of its fuel economy and then cutting a nominal check for X amount of fuel probably isn't going to help them out on the hearts and minds front.

I doubt there will be a buyback. Considering they are facing fines in EU and US now, its not feasible.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Enforcement is still up to the states, and California is the only one really going that far. The EPA has a hard time getting states to even crack down on coal tunes for trucks, which are also illegal.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

fknlo posted:

I'd imagine a lot of places that don't do or care about emissions stuff don't do it because they assume everything is conforming to the standards set by the EPA. Vehicles known to not be conforming to those standards might get a little more scrutiny.

The EPA has been trying to get states to crack down in coal tunes without much luck. It doesn't help that the EPA has largely been defanged by the GOP in recent years.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Also i am willing to bet that making batteries, and then consequently what to do with them after they have been expended is pretty much on par with what a car makes for pollutants.

I loved that Top Gear episode where they discussed how all the parts for the Prius are sourced.

Cockmaster posted:

http://gizmodo.com/elon-musk-dieselgate-proves-its-time-to-go-electric-1733163688

Now Elon Musk is saying that this whole fiasco illustrates the need to move towards all electric transportation. The fact that VW would feel the need to pull a stunt like this, according to him, shows that there's not a whole lot more we can do to make internal combustion engines less bad for the environment.

I'm sure it must sound like a blatantly opportunistic sales pitch, but he does kind of have a point.

Diesel-Electric! C'mon!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

eeenmachine posted:

There are so many variables that pretty much every report ends up getting discredited by someone, but most analysis I've seen put 100% (dirtiest coal possible) coal powered EVs slightly ahead of even the most efficient ICEs emissions wise. When you factor in that power plant pollution usually happens far away from populations instead of in the streets and that most of the country is reducing coal and increasing renewables (a growing number of homeowners offset all their charging with rooftop solar) EVs only get cleaner over time. Also I don't think there is a single scenario where batteries are just chucked in a landfill at the end of their lives as car batteries. Most will be recycled or used for non-auto applications like residential or commercial energy storage.

Disclaimer: I'm a Tesla owner and stockholder but I've been a VW fanboy since I was a kid.

This is not to mention that if an engine is able to idle at a specific speed versus revving up and down to accelerate, it becomes more efficient.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

Not surprising, but Audi/Skoda admits to 3 million+ cheating vehicles: http://www.bbc.com/news/business-34377443

Let's be honest: Did they even have to announce? Everyone knows it at this point.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Most batteries are recyclable, its whether or not its profitable (or required) to do so.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Jealous Cow posted:

Or one hopes.

Agreed. Right now its still somewhat of a niche market, give it time...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Uthor posted:

Have EVs been on the market long enough to get a good look at how they perform on the used car market? Either cost wise or mechanically. There's plenty of people who can't or won't buy new cars and I'm curious how an EV will work in 10+ years.

That's part of the problem: While the Prius holds its resale value due to its gasoline motor backup, we're not really sure how well the used market for EVs is going to work, especially as the primary driver for used EVs may be battery replacements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

And that works fine for small numbers of cars. You'd need a solar array larger than most suburban planned communities and storage capable of peaking at half a gigawatt to match the energy transferring capability of just one truck stop along a busy interstate.

Somebody call nuclear? :smuggo: