Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Does age of synthetic oil matter at all? At this rate I won't hit 20K miles and need a second oil change for about five years, pretty low mileage driver. Should I bump up the interval?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

2.5L Golf engine is making an odd loud rattling noise at 25K. Mechanic says it seems to be coming from the front of the engine bay, removed belt and can still hear it but doesn't see anything obviously wrong. Gets much louder with engine speed. They called VW America and apparently were told "no idea".

Seems to run fine otherwise. Anyone seen something like that before?

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 23, 2014

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

CountOfNowhere posted:

Volkswagen is loving terrible at timing chains. Looks like there is an issue with the 2.5...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5721530-FYI-2005.5-2007-Timing-Chain-Issues

Yep, this is the problem. Fellow MK6 2.5L owners be on the lookout for rattling noises coming from the engine, apparently this is not uncommon.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

I remember that one, it was for vehicles up to 2007 so I think you're out of luck. You can double check here: http://www.vw.com/en/owners/parts-and-accessories/protection/recalls-campaigns.html

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

I meant the recall only covers vehicles up to the 2007 model year, as far as I know there's not really a time limit on recalls.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Yeah your posture is probably hosed if you're contorted somehow into always resting your head on the headrest. It's more to keep your head from flying around as much in an accident.

Here's a good video that shows just how much your head can thrash around during a wreck, you can get really screwed up by this in even a relatively minor crash:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZVrnd9V7sk

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

When I bought my Golf the dealer almost didn't give me a manual. Said they ran out and I had to dig my heels in and threaten to walk out before they finally relented and scrounged one up. How on earth they go missing or don't come one per car is beyond me, but apparently that's a thing.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

It's VW the rule has been don't buy the first year of a new generation for like 40 years now come on people.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

The fact that this thread is 90% "here's some problem with my VW/Audi, what is it how can I fix it cheaply" and "thinking about buying a VW/Audi X, what should I look out for" and the inevitable long list of expensive issues/maintenance that always gets posted has soured me on ever buying a VAG car again. Ah well we'll always have the good old days, it was fun while it lasted you crazy german fucks.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Holy poo poo that's one of the most dirtbag moves any corporation much less auto company has pulled in recent years. loving VW.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Yeah I mean it's kind of funny but it's also kind of like holy poo poo this should result in felony charges and people going to prison level depths of evil right here. That will never happen of course but still.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

scuz posted:

GM not telling anyone about the faulty ignition switches or whatever certainly trumps this considering people loving died.

Well yes, but about 7 million people died last year directly from nitrate and sulfate air pollution, disabling the device that filters out nitrates is still pretty loving evil even if you can't tie a hard number of direct deaths to it.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Well yeah your typical leaf blower/crotch rocket/generator/cessna exhaust is a loving nightmare that needs regulation too, but that's another thread.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

I already had someone ask me if on the street if I was mad that my old VW was going to be harder to sell now, then I explained to them that it wasn't a TDI so it wasn't part of that news and then they looked really confused and after awhile I deduced that they didn't know what a diesel engine is and then I explained how there are diesel engines and gasoline engines and how those are different things and how only the diesels in certain years are affected and they didn't really seem to follow along that well then they ended the conversation with "yeah I'm never buying one of those dirty VWs! You should sell that clunker while you still can!"

I'd imagine this is going to be an ongoing issue for the brand for many many years to come.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

You really want to avoid Eurozone companies for the most part right now if you're investing, regardless of whether or not VW is "cheap" (also it's not).

This story just keeps getting more and more bizarre, apparently the board has already decided to fire the CEO and he'll be gone shortly.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Also someone tried to guesstimate at how many people the excess emissions has killed and came up with with a range of 5-25 deaths for cars driven in Southern California over the past five years:

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2015/09/wtf-volkswgen

https://www.motherjones.com/files/vw_nox_deaths.xls

Very unscientific and speculative of course.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Yeah you folks young enough to not remember living in a big city in 70s/80s are going to have a hard time appreciating how awful it was and how much better life is with a somewhat effective EPA. You couldn't even go jogging outside in Denver if it wasn't a windy day, people would collapse and pass out from the smog and ozone, it was loving awful.

I have a friend with a 2013 Golf TDI that has lawyered up and is demanding they buy it back from him at full price, so far the dealership hasn't flat out said "no" they are just saying "we're waiting on VW America, hang on".

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

I dunno the awful build quality on Teslas often leads to them being in the shop as often as any ICE car. My friend's Tesla has gone six rounds on a leaky sunroof now, been replaced twice, keeps happening. I mean theoretically the engines last forever but in reality poo poo breaks.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

We all get that you have a severe hatred of lawyers from whatever event happened in your life but this is kind of a good reason to sue. It's ok and even good people do it with cases this favorable.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

RIP diesel, your bullshit marketing claims of AMAZING LOW END TORQUE will not be missed.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

You can spin the wheels shifting the ancient 2.5L too and guess what they accelerate faster than the TDI. There is no amazing torque, it's horseshit.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Wellllll current speculation is that all EA 189 engine cars from 2009-2015 will be bought back by VW

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/29/business/international/volkswagen-says-a-diesel-fix-may-not-be-possible-for-some-cars.html?ref=business

Not exactly sure how the buyback program will end up getting implemented though.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

So what are those TDIs worth nowadays? How much did they depreciate from new and how quickly, are we talking Nissan Leaf levels of falling off a cliff?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

So 13k is your best guess for what year and how many miles exactly? Trying to get an idea of total depreciation from MSRP for different TDIs, just for curiosity's sake.

Are the TDIs selling for less than their equivalent old 2.5L versions? Because that would be hilarious if so.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 24, 2016

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

I love the fatalistic attitude whenever people talk about corporations, they are too big and will never change, they have a million lawyers on retainer and it's a waste of time to sue them, you can't do anything, there is no way to get an exception to this corporate policy it's ironclad and will never change. You're being silly for criticizing that company, stop being stupid and take your money elsewhere. There's nothing you can do, even the class action is worthless and only lawyers get paid just give up and take it whatever the company wants they will get it's inevitable, no point in trying.

I'm so happy I never adopted any of this thinking or these terrible wrong beliefs, can't imagine how much farther behind I'd be in my life if I actually believed any of that nonsense.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

The other benefit of unredeemed money on gift cards is you can choose to recognize that revenue practically whenever the gently caress you want, so it becomes yet another tool for companies to lower their tax liability. Such a great invention the gift card, I wonder how many yachts that cheap little piece of plastic has made real.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

How on earth have you been hit 5 times over the lifespan of one car? I've still never been in an accident over decades of driving, that just seems crazy to me. I can't be THAT much better at anticipating idiots running red lights and staying out of blind spots than you, right? Do you just live in drunksville, USA or something?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

You must live in Capitol Hill, only place with that many shithead drivers I think.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

My mechanic buddy jokes about how that DSG fluid must last forever because 90% of his customers aren't willing to pay for that 40k service

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

I don't understand how the buyback program works, have those details not been leaked yet? Are they just buying back for retail on all the 2.0L engines or is it more complicated than that?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

That seems like a pretty palatable solution for VW owners then. Are you TDI owners happy with that?

I'm guessing TDIs end up in latin america/africa like all undesirable but functional used cars seem to.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Volkswagen Accessories sales@newvwparts.com posted:

May the 4th be with you - Save an additional $4 off your order

ughhhhh no make it stop

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Jesus christ it's not "easy" to end up underwater on a car loan unless you're financially illiterate. Stop buying the stupid loving extended warranties, put more money down, and stop with the 60 months and trade in bullshit.

Also you need a new car every 10 years, not every 2.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

How big of a fire extinguisher do you need to actually be useful in an automotive emergency though? I'm guessing those monster energy drink sized ones that I see lots of wrx tunerz crowdz types have would be near useless in any fire beyond two matches.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Geez that sounds regressive as gently caress.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

The quickest way to turn sour on a TDI is to drive one. "Low end torque" my loving rear end, feels almost as slow as a Prius compared to the GTI or even the base golf.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

quote:

Sales in the month of the October plummeted 18.46% over the same period last year and is down 13.09% for the year.

The most glaring figure in the latest numbers include a 31% fall in the sales of its Tiguan compact crossover that is competing in a segment that's seeing strong growth.

In addition, VW's bread-and-butter Jetta and Passat sedans saw sales slip 5.6% and 23.2%, respectively, last month.

Even the introduction of the hot-selling Alltrack wagon couldn't prevent sales of the company's award-winning Golf family from falling 10%.

More concerning is the fact that these sales figures come amid heavy incentive spending from Volkswagen resulting in generous discounts and attractive lease deals.

This is worse than even the most pessimistic analysts were expecting.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

I can tell you one thing with absolute, 100% certainty: nobody gives a poo poo what anyone else drives on here.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

How many times does this have to be repeated until it sinks in? The diesels drive noticeably slower than their equivalent gas counterparts. The "low end torque" or "better performance" of the "turbo" diesel is complete marketing bullshit. Even with cheating on emissions, it's noticeably slower than the gasoline version. Just drive them this isn't really that complicated.

If the TDIs were actually superior they would have survived. They're not, it's people parroting corporate advertising bullshit. I get how you want it to be true especially if you're personally invested in something big like a car, but they're just loving slower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

You can just say no. You don't have to agree to things you don't want. This includes goods and services, as well as physical situations and people and jobs and really everything else in life.