Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keegles
Aug 24, 2013

bennyfactor posted:

Here's probably why they did it— for diesels, the EU regs target low Oxides of Nitrogen and Carbon Monoxide production, and don't even care about non-methane organic compounds. The EPA average of Tier 2 (Bin 5) has a stark limit on NMOG, even lower than the limit for Euro V petrol engines; the EPA limits on the values Europe cares about are multiples higher.

You can see the data here but the units are incompatible; so I've converted the EPA rules to mg/km:

Im an Audi tech, so ill let you guys know as much info as I can(without any blowback) as we get it internally brought up to speed on this.
09-15 covers the brand new body style a3 too which I find interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keegles
Aug 24, 2013

Mr. Apollo posted:

Question for you; I have a 2013 S4 and there's an annoying squeak coming from somewhere in the rear passenger area. It happens if the rear seats are up or down and usually only occurs when I hit a bump. Is this something that's a know issue or has a simple fix? My dealer is about a 40 minute drive away and I really don't want to waste a Saturday morning going out there only to be told ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ we don't know where it's coming from, sorry.

I have seen a couple tickets come through with a noise from the rear, however it's usually a rattle, and I think we were replacing struts.

My general rule of rattles is as long as it is very noticeable (as in if you were to tell it to a passenger, they would be able to pick up on it) or you can duplicate it on the service drive with a tech/advisor then you'll have a better chance of them not throwing up the "Could not duplicate, operating to manufacturers design".

keegles
Aug 24, 2013
I can almost guarantee that vw hasn't been activating the egr system, and it more or less forces readiness. My assumption on this is based off of the fact that pre common rail (08 and earlier) had issues with egr clogging up, then the newer common rail somehow hasn't.. Actually in the 5 years I've worked for vag, I've never seen an egr fault on a common rail.

However roommates work for bmw, and they have a number of diesels with blocked egr issues.

Egr does drop mpgs a tad, as well as power.

Also with it being a recall, nobody's forcing you to go in and have it flashed ;p

Good read
http://www.weatherimagery.com/blog/diesel-engine-egr-bad/

keegles fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 20, 2015