Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

PhazonLink posted:

Hey final update/conclusion on my parents Jetta TDI problems. Insurance is paying for it and the dealership should be done fixing the car this week.

One last question. So will the car be fine in the future? One of the salesman at the dealer tried some song and dance about how they should trade in because this problem would lead to problems later on.

Seems like standard salesperson crap.

Ask yourself why he wants it as a trade. It'll be fine, they literally replace EVERYTHING in the fuel system on the new CR TDIs when the fuel pump lets go, or in this case accidental misefuel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

PhazonLink posted:

Hey final update/conclusion on my parents Jetta TDI problems. Insurance is paying for it and the dealership should be done fixing the car this week.

One last question. So will the car be fine in the future? One of the salesman at the dealer tried some song and dance about how they should trade in because this problem would lead to problems later on.

So this salesperson is telling them that he is going to willingly sell a car he knows will have problems later on? Sounds like a nice dealer.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've noticed a weird bug with my MK7. If the low fuel light is on it won't show radio station information on the radio itself or the display in the cluster - it says it is waiting for information from the audio system. It also makes the compass direction appear blank.

:psyduck:

smax
Nov 9, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Getting a misfire detected / Cylinder 1 misfire code at 160000km, and I replaced my plugs for the first time earlier this year. Thinking that leans towards a coil pack issue? Haven't ever replaced those on this vehicle (A4 2006 2.0T).

Also had a tire blowout -- how much truth is there to keeping all 4 tires matched to keep Quattro happy? Obviously one has to be replaced, but I figure I can do my front two + alignment all in one fell swoop.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

movax posted:

Getting a misfire detected / Cylinder 1 misfire code at 160000km, and I replaced my plugs for the first time earlier this year. Thinking that leans towards a coil pack issue? Haven't ever replaced those on this vehicle (A4 2006 2.0T).

Also had a tire blowout -- how much truth is there to keeping all 4 tires matched to keep Quattro happy? Obviously one has to be replaced, but I figure I can do my front two + alignment all in one fell swoop.

How old is your fuel filter? Is the code coming back after you clear it? Does the car stutter under heavy load situations?

If the center diff is anything like a Subaru it doesn't take much of a difference in diameter for it to cook itself. Tire rack shaves tires if you wanted to replace the one but if all are fairly worn you might want to do all 4.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

movax posted:

There might be a coil recall for your year. There was on mine and it's a 06' A3 with the same 2.0t. The PO had it done and got all coils replaced.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

BlackMK4 posted:

I've noticed a weird bug with my MK7. If the low fuel light is on it won't show radio station information on the radio itself or the display in the cluster - it says it is waiting for information from the audio system. It also makes the compass direction appear blank.

Man I'd love to hook a canbus sniffer to that and figure out what the gently caress is going on. That sounds like a software bug more than anything.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

How old is your fuel filter? Is the code coming back after you clear it? Does the car stutter under heavy load situations?

If the center diff is anything like a Subaru it doesn't take much of a difference in diameter for it to cook itself. Tire rack shaves tires if you wanted to replace the one but if all are fairly worn you might want to do all 4.

To my knowledge, never replaced yet (fuel filter). Code hasn't come back yet after I cleared it, but the car does stutter under heavy acceleration and the MIL will sometimes blink during it, logging a DTC (to test, I'll often accelerate as fast as I can to see if a DTC gets logged.)

So far my tires are fairly even worn minus the one that is now the spare and a completely different type, and the front-passenger tire which has excessive edge wear from poor alignment. Rears are in fine shape.

I'll check into the coil recall though, thanks.

e: also, my right headlight bulb has died again after a short 2 year lifespan -- are there any easy checks to make to the actual headlight harness to see what might be causing it? Bulbs are cheap enough that I can replace them instead of spending hours tracking down the root cause, but if it's something easy...

Also, Ross-Tech codes!
code:
2 Faults Found:
000768 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected 
               P0300 - 001 -  - Intermittent - MIL ON
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 10100001
                    Fault Priority: 0
                    Fault Frequency: 2
                    Reset counter: 255
                    Mileage: 164874 km
                    Time Indication: 0

Freeze Frame:
                    RPM: 4970 /min
                    Load: 100.0 %
                    Speed: 106.0 km/h
                    Temperature: 100.0°C
                    Temperature: 22.0°C
                    Absolute Pres.: 1000.0 mbar
                    Voltage: 13.589 V

000769 - Cylinder 1 
               P0301 - 001 - Misfire Detected - Intermittent - MIL ON
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 10100001
                    Fault Priority: 0
                    Fault Frequency: 2
                    Reset counter: 255
                    Mileage: 164874 km
                    Time Indication: 0

Freeze Frame:
                    RPM: 4970 /min
                    Load: 100.0 %
                    Speed: 106.0 km/h
                    Temperature: 100.0°C
                    Temperature: 22.0°C
                    Absolute Pres.: 1000.0 mbar
                    Voltage: 13.589 V

00979 - Lamp for Low Beam; Right (M31) 
            30-00 - Open or Short to Plus

1 Fault Found:
01572 - Alarm triggered by Door Contact Switch; Passenger Side 
            35-00 - -

1 Fault Found:
00858 - Connection; Radio Intermediate Frequency (IF) Output to Antenna Amplifier 
            29-10 - Short to Ground - Intermittent
01572 pisses me off because it's a reminder of the shitheads that broke into my car.

movax fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 17, 2015

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

BlackMK4 posted:

Do you have nav? On mine, when the fuel light comes on, it kindly asks me "Would you like to find a fuel station" but everything else works fine.

As far as tires, I'm pretty sure you at worst want to replace both sides, I think with the way Haldex works you can have the fronts and rears a little farther than fulltime AWD systems. But brand new tires on one axle and worn to hell on the other axle could be problematic. I'm just crossing my fingers that I never lose a tire. I've only ever had 1 tire that couldn't be repaired and no blowouts in 20 years of driving.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 17, 2015

movax
Aug 30, 2008

veedubfreak posted:

Do you have nav? On mine, when the fuel light comes on, it kindly asks me "Would you like to find a fuel station" but everything else works fine.

As far as tires, I'm pretty sure you at worst want to replace both sides, I think with the way Haldex works you can have the fronts and rears a little farther than fulltime AWD systems. But brand new tires on one axle and worn to hell on the other axle could be problematic. I'm just crossing my fingers that I never lose a tire. I've only ever had 1 tire that couldn't be repaired and no blowouts in 20 years of driving.

I'm not Haldex since I'm a B7 A4, but most people are saying if the fronts/rears are within 3% of each other diameter-wise, it should be OK ("should"). I'll see how much tread I've got left on the other tires before making a decision on it, I guess -- for now I'll drive slower and only when necessary. At least the weather's good.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I think it was tire rack that actually offered a service to shave down new tires to your specifications for AWD systems

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
VAG is recalling half a million cars due to cheating diesel emissions.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/19/b...89&ref=cta&_r=1

2009-2015 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, A3
2014,2015 Passat

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Wow, that's quite the fuckup. In WA state diesel passenger vehicles don't even need to get emissions tested, I thought I was done with all that mess :argh:

What will "full emissions control" being on all the time do to efficiency/performance?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Holy poo poo that's one of the most dirtbag moves any corporation much less auto company has pulled in recent years. loving VW.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I think it's funny personally.

My new car doesn't require emissions until 2023, explain that.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Yeah I mean it's kind of funny but it's also kind of like holy poo poo this should result in felony charges and people going to prison level depths of evil right here. That will never happen of course but still.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Pryor on Fire posted:

Holy poo poo that's one of the most dirtbag moves any corporation much less auto company has pulled in recent years. loving VW.
GM not telling anyone about the faulty ignition switches or whatever certainly trumps this considering people loving died.

via
Dec 14, 2013
Recalled & fixed cars won't make the EPA mpg sticker numbers which they were sold on. Cars will lose value. Lawsuit.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

scuz posted:

GM not telling anyone about the faulty ignition switches or whatever certainly trumps this considering people loving died.

Well yes, but about 7 million people died last year directly from nitrate and sulfate air pollution, disabling the device that filters out nitrates is still pretty loving evil even if you can't tie a hard number of direct deaths to it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pryor on Fire posted:

Well yes, but about 7 million people died last year directly from nitrate and sulfate air pollution, disabling the device that filters out nitrates is still pretty loving evil even if you can't tie a hard number of direct deaths to it.

Yeah, I’d be shocked if half a million cars, each polluting 10–40× more, didn’t kill a few people. We’ll never know which ones precisely, but they’re out there.

If we’re talking about how dirtbag the move is, this was completely premeditated. GM’s issue at least start as a legitimate mistake, which was of course followed by criminal penny‐pinching and coverup.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Their stock is diving right now. And there's no way this doesn't hurt the brand across the board. People are going to be pissed. Already saw an article in the LA Times about people angry. They specifically bought these models because of their mileage and clean air claims.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
This craigslist posting made me forget about all of that.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Pryor on Fire posted:

Lol the sjw in this is amazing, go look at the levels of emissions these supposed nazi gas chamber cars are producing. Then go look at the level of emissions your lawn mowers, jet skis, dirt bikes, generators, all small gas motors are producing.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Lol the sjw in this is amazing, go look at the levels of emissions these supposed nazi gas chamber cars are producing. Then go look at the level of emissions your lawn mowers, jet skis, dirt bikes, generators, all small gas motors are producing.

The name fits

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Well yeah your typical leaf blower/crotch rocket/generator/cessna exhaust is a loving nightmare that needs regulation too, but that's another thread.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Pryor on Fire posted:

Well yeah your typical leaf blower/crotch rocket/generator/cessna exhaust is a loving nightmare that needs regulation too, but that's another thread.

I know I regularly commute on my lawn mower, jet ski, dirt bike, generator and small gas motor,

via
Dec 14, 2013

soggybagel posted:

Their stock is diving right now. And there's no way this doesn't hurt the brand across the board. People are going to be pissed. Already saw an article in the LA Times about people angry. They specifically bought these models because of their mileage and clean air claims.

There are tens of thousands of these cars driving around LA, if not more. They were pretty much sold as smog-fighting cars, so if it turns out they're the exact opposite yes there are going to be a lot of pissed off owners. Also, the stated MPG on the late-model TDIs is just.. okay. So if the cars' city mileage dips firmly into the 20's after the fix, people who bought the car purely on MPG claims are going to feel outright scammed.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Pryor on Fire posted:

KakerMix posted:

I know I regularly commute on my lawn mower, jet ski, dirt bike, generator and small gas motor,

you average jet ski from the 00's running for an hour is about the same as a car driving 10,000 miles.

via posted:

There are tens of thousands of these cars driving around LA, if not more. They were pretty much sold as smog-fighting cars, so if it turns out they're the exact opposite yes there are going to be a lot of pissed off owners. Also, the stated MPG on the late-model TDIs is just.. okay. So if the cars' city mileage dips firmly into the 20's after the fix, people who bought the car purely on MPG claims are going to feel outright scammed.

I will be excited when the class action settles in 5 years and i can get a 2020 for free right when my 2015 get out of warranty. Only problem is hoping nothing goes wrong so i never have to go to the dealer, they probably wont let you decline this update.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

via posted:

When I'm walking to work I'd rather have these rigged VWs driving by then repeatedly getting blasted by idiot fuckheads using leaf blowers. I mean, if I had my druthers. :clint:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Do you HAVE to get the fix that reduces your MPG?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Then go look at the level of emissions your lawn mowers, jet skis, dirt bikes, generators, all small gas motors are producing.

All of my lawn care equipment is electric. I don't own any of those other things.

I'd love it if they offered a buy back. Right around the time the AWD Jetta wagon hits the lots.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

VelociBacon posted:

I am reporting you to the Air Quality Management Board. :phoneb::phoneline::phoneline::frogout:

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

fknlo posted:

All of my lawn care equipment is electric. I don't own any of those other things.

I'd love it if they offered a buy back. Right around the time the AWD Jetta wagon hits the lots.

That's what happened with the first version of the Civic Hybrid. Will be interesting.

VelociBacon posted:

you have the right to refuse normal recalls, but this is emissions poo poo and its a good way for the epa to grind its political axe. I am going to say no. Best bet will be to not go back to the dealer (however they might void warranties over it)

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I've got an appointment to drive an A3 e-tron next month and this news has upgraded that from "fun way to spend an hour" to "possible replacement for the TDI now that my 15 minute all-city commute is going to get even less efficient". I guess I shouldn't trust the mpg numbers on that model either though...

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

borkencode posted:

VAG is recalling half a million cars due to cheating diesel emissions.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/19/b...89&ref=cta&_r=1

2009-2015 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, A3
2014,2015 Passat

Here's probably why they did it— for diesels, the EU regs target low Oxides of Nitrogen and Carbon Monoxide production, and don't even care about non-methane organic compounds. The EPA average of Tier 2 (Bin 5) has a stark limit on NMOG, even lower than the limit for Euro V petrol engines; the EPA limits on the values Europe cares about are multiples higher.

You can see the data here but the units are incompatible; so I've converted the EPA rules to mg/km:

keegles
Aug 24, 2013

bennyfactor posted:

Here's probably why they did it— for diesels, the EU regs target low Oxides of Nitrogen and Carbon Monoxide production, and don't even care about non-methane organic compounds. The EPA average of Tier 2 (Bin 5) has a stark limit on NMOG, even lower than the limit for Euro V petrol engines; the EPA limits on the values Europe cares about are multiples higher.

You can see the data here but the units are incompatible; so I've converted the EPA rules to mg/km:

Im an Audi tech, so ill let you guys know as much info as I can(without any blowback) as we get it internally brought up to speed on this.
09-15 covers the brand new body style a3 too which I find interesting

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

keegles posted:

Im an Audi tech, so ill let you guys know as much info as I can(without any blowback) as we get it internally brought up to speed on this.
09-15 covers the brand new body style a3 too which I find interesting
Question for you; I have a 2013 S4 and there's an annoying squeak coming from somewhere in the rear passenger area. It happens if the rear seats are up or down and usually only occurs when I hit a bump. Is this something that's a know issue or has a simple fix? My dealer is about a 40 minute drive away and I really don't want to waste a Saturday morning going out there only to be told ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ we don't know where it's coming from, sorry.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

I am reporting you to the Air Quality Management Board. :phoneb::phoneline::phoneline::frogout:

Can't tell if you're kidding but for what it's worth it's all the assholes having 2+ kids that are going to ruin this planet. I was asking as a rhetorical question but FWIW I wouldn't bring my car in for it to become less fuel efficient when those vehicles are still way way way less harmful than a majority of the vehicles out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Pryor on Fire posted:

Another company caused fires with faulty ignition switches that they knew about....