Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Wife is dead set on getting a 10-14 tdi jettasportwagen. What am I looking for as far maintenance is concerned? Tsb's? Recalls? I know the basic 30,60,90,120 but as far as diesel specific stuff i'm kinda in the dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Negromancer posted:

My 2013 has been great, granted we only have 15k miles on it. First auto car I've owned and I love how the DSG drives. I would recommend looking at the 2015's since at least in the pnw used ones are barely cheaper than a new one. That and I like the slight styling changes they made on the new ones.

We live in Washington, and I have already run into the tdi madness as far as pricing. We are looking at getting a one way plane ticket to get one out of cali as the hype isn't as insane down there. Whats your average mileage? I have been reading that the stated mileage is much lower than people are getting, is that true?

Kytrarewn posted:

Yeah, I was driving to an appointment the other day and got to drive alongside a Phaeton W12 for a few minutes (in my current piece of poo poo beat-to-hell Mazda). I will own one of those things some day,. It's one of the more interesting cars from the last 15 years from a collectibility perspective (Disclaimer: I am not an automobile collector, nor do I have any experience in managing investments. I just want to collect a Phaeton W12 for myself).

The timing chain replacement on the Phaeton is quoted as a 20 hour job. Crazy stuff

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

K new vw tdi chat, wife is still looking at a new tdi is the '16 really going to be that much better than the '15? Couple of dealers i have talked to seem ready to drop their pants on 15's prices since the 16 is slated to be better on paper. should i wait or pull the trigger on a 15?

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Headed to the dealership, wish me luck.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Regional markup on golf r in the pnw is 10k, sticker comes out to 49k. Lol

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Ya i was just strolling by the golf r, dick hannah vw. They are also trying to push 33k on a 15 sel tdi, i told em ill walk out and drive to auburn 8f they cant get it down to 26.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Didnt get my price exactly but got a free tint, and a free full detail once a year for the life of the car.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

So i got the 15 tdi last weekend and my question is this, it seems that tdi's actually have a pretty serious breakin regime (according to the tdi hive mind forums), is this something i need to be following or is it more of an undying urban legend? I really was enjoying my 47 mpg city, but with this break in driving i am down to a measly 30mpg city.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Pryor on Fire posted:

Well yes, but about 7 million people died last year directly from nitrate and sulfate air pollution, disabling the device that filters out nitrates is still pretty loving evil even if you can't tie a hard number of direct deaths to it.

Lol the sjw in this is amazing, go look at the levels of emissions these supposed nazi gas chamber cars are producing. Then go look at the level of emissions your lawn mowers, jet skis, dirt bikes, generators, all small gas motors are producing.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Pryor on Fire posted:

Well yeah your typical leaf blower/crotch rocket/generator/cessna exhaust is a loving nightmare that needs regulation too, but that's another thread.

KakerMix posted:

I know I regularly commute on my lawn mower, jet ski, dirt bike, generator and small gas motor,

you average jet ski from the 00's running for an hour is about the same as a car driving 10,000 miles.

via posted:

There are tens of thousands of these cars driving around LA, if not more. They were pretty much sold as smog-fighting cars, so if it turns out they're the exact opposite yes there are going to be a lot of pissed off owners. Also, the stated MPG on the late-model TDIs is just.. okay. So if the cars' city mileage dips firmly into the 20's after the fix, people who bought the car purely on MPG claims are going to feel outright scammed.

I will be excited when the class action settles in 5 years and i can get a 2020 for free right when my 2015 get out of warranty. Only problem is hoping nothing goes wrong so i never have to go to the dealer, they probably wont let you decline this update.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

fknlo posted:

All of my lawn care equipment is electric. I don't own any of those other things.

I'd love it if they offered a buy back. Right around the time the AWD Jetta wagon hits the lots.

That's what happened with the first version of the Civic Hybrid. Will be interesting.

VelociBacon posted:

Do you HAVE to get the fix that reduces your MPG?

you have the right to refuse normal recalls, but this is emissions poo poo and its a good way for the epa to grind its political axe. I am going to say no. Best bet will be to not go back to the dealer (however they might void warranties over it)

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

bizwank posted:

Here's the firm that filed it if you want to join: http://www.hbsslaw.com/newsroom/Hagens-Berman-Investigating-Volkswagen-Audi-for-Emissions-Cheating-Software-Polluting-Cars

In normal driving (ie. not in super-clean EPA test mode) they put out 10-40x the amount of NOx allowed by EPA standards. That is really bad stuff.

Edit: Here's the EPA report, these and other similar questions are answered in it: http://www3.epa.gov/otaq/cert/documents/vw-nov-caa-09-18-15.pdf

bennyfactor posted:

Here's probably why they did it— for diesels, the EU regs target low Oxides of Nitrogen and Carbon Monoxide production, and don't even care about non-methane organic compounds. The EPA average of Tier 2 (Bin 5) has a stark limit on NMOG, even lower than the limit for Euro V petrol engines; the EPA limits on the values Europe cares about are multiples higher.

You can see the data here but the units are incompatible; so I've converted the EPA rules to mg/km:

last page, 10- 40 times greater seems a bit extreme. Being that the EPA is a govt org. with a political agenda I would take everything they say with a ton of salt.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

fknlo posted:

Bastards wanting to improve the quality of the air and water. It's my right as an American to pollute as much as I want and eat/drink/breathe whatever pollutants I want :bahgawd:

I've been trying to keep up with the tread on TDIClub and it's full of complete loving nuts. I know a few of my hobbies(cars and fishing mainly) have a lot of hardcore republican freep types, but god drat.

e: I really want to know where these fuckers claiming 50+mpg live. Downhill with a tailwind both ways at 45mph kind of stuff?

i get average 45 mixed and 52 or 53 on the highway.

Lord of Garbagemen fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 21, 2015

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

At least the EPA is redirecting all that heat from dumping millions of gallons of arsenic, cadmium, lead and mercury into the Colorado river by hitting at VW.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

fknlo posted:

The thing that involved a private contractor loving up a mine that had been abandoned by a private company that just left all their waste there? I think that's been brought up at least once every couple of pages on the 100+ page thread on tdiclub.

Ya , I was just stating that it is fantastic timing for them. It was like front page news since it happened, and you effectively don't hear anyone even mentioning it now and the VW scandal has only been public for 3ish days.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

via posted:

Can someone who knows about poo poo confirm or deny this.

It's too soon to tell, the honda civic hybrid settled for brand new cars of the current year (settled in 2011), other ones were far less in value.

edit: Hyundai's looks like it was generally less than 1,000 per person. Also cant find any hard evidence about the Honda new car thing, just going from what I heard. It does look like there was a case that was overturned by an appeals court where a private citizen sued in small claims for the loss of mileage won, then Honda appealed and it was reversed. Reason was that manufacturers don't state mpg claims the EPA makes them.

Lord of Garbagemen fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 21, 2015

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

movax posted:

If I had one of the affected models right now, I'd dump the ECU software / calibrations for affected systems such that you could revert any 'mandatory' recall flashes and such. Who cares if they re-flash it if you just flash it back :getin:

Maybe a couple of other modules in-case there's some version checking at work.

Ya i am thinking that if the reflash becomes mandatory just refuse, void your warranty and then go get the dpf and egr deletes and a higher mileage tune.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Jealous Cow posted:

So when will this start driving down dealer prices? I assume at a minimum traffic will drop off due to the bad press and uncertainty.

Kinda want to replace my CX-5 with a Touraeg.

get one of the old v10 tdis, those things were so fun.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

Its unlikely that the EPA is going to punish consumers for VW's crimes, more than likely all that is going to happen is make VW pay a hefty fine and be required to offer consumers the option to have an emissions system fitted or ECU changes made. That and criminal charges.

The GT-R comparison is not to the same scale, its not individual imports being hunted down its several million vehicles that would have to be found and crushed. Its on a scale of nothing the EPA has ever done before, and is both financially and physically impossible.

Wasn't that Immigration and Customs that seized the skylines, i think some cases of homeland security also?

I agree though, EPA will likely do nothing to the consumer other than a mandatory reflash /fix/etc. If that's the case Malone tuning just got backlogged for like a year.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, its Customs bag usually for seizures of illegal imports, although I think it falls under EPA regs. Nope, its NHTSA.

Either way, Malone tuning is probably going to be making bank of this.

Seriously, if the NHTSA/Customs/EPA started saying 'Welp, turn in your vehicles to be crushed' VW would have to go bankrupt and the effects market wide would be catastrophic. In a country that bailed out GM, Chrysler, and other automakers, I sincerely doubt the EPA is going to be allowed to get that blood thirsty.

They were usually seized because of the crash test data and all that jazz, you can make a foreign car emissions compliant. Its just expensive. Ahh nvm see your edit.

fake edit: anyone here have the malone dpf and egr delete / with dsg tune and fuel tune? Is it really as good as literally every review says? Also, anyone know of a good custom tuner in the PNW?

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

blugu64 posted:

I still think it doesn't matter, that series of VINs should be marked as void and unregisterable, seize crush etc.

Yes it sucks for the consumer, go sue VW.

lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

via posted:

As an owner of a 2014 TDI, I actually hope all the heat stays on VW so they freak out and cut me a check for a few grand. Right now they're not being defensive and are offering unqualified apologies (per advice of their PR firm, I'm sure). I think the quote was they were advised to avoid trying to "contextualize" the deception. That it would backfire. But if it were to come out that the "context" was every damned mfg evading emissions constraints in one way or another, then VW has some cover to gently caress the American owners.

Will be cool (albeit unlikely) if they cut a check for about 3500. The irony is that it would get spent to buy a dpf and egr deletes, and a ecm tune and dsg tune.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

fknlo posted:

Rich, old, white people like them. And freedom :911:

e: and I remember seeing something Edmunds did a while back where running a leaf blower for some certain amount of time was the equivalent of driving a Raptor like 3500 miles.

its an hour. I also posted before late 90s early 2000 jet skis/snowmobiles/4 wheelers run for an hour is the equivalent of a similar year civic for 10,000 miles.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Also i am willing to bet that making batteries, and then consequently what to do with them after they have been expended is pretty much on par with what a car makes for pollutants.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Batteries are mined, transported, use oil based products, and i think you cant recycle a battery once its dead its dead (if any engineers can confirm or deny that would be great).

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

I Am Not Spor posted:

^Don't they have until early October to figure this out?^

Jetta hybrid. 48 highway 42 city. I can't even get 42 highway in my tdi, but I drive 75 on my way home, and there's no way in hell I'm going to get 42 city.

that seems crazy low, i get 45 mpg mixed and 50+ highway.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Kramdar posted:

They should have the piss cap retrofitted into the seats. But then again, my wife's seats are heated.

holy poo poo :vince:

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Crescendo posted:

I tell you what though, this whole car-buying thing sucks. I'm so non-confrontational I just know I'm going to feel bad even bringing it up, like I'm going to hurt the guy's feelings. I'll do it, of course, but I'm going to feel lovely on the inside.

Don't feel bad when you knock 4k off the sticker. Hell i just bought a diesel, and since the scandal i have made their service department a living hell, i am getting the orange peely paint corrected under warranty, and I've got a ton of tiny little rattles that they are now attending to. They need all the good publicity they can get (even if it wasn't the dealers fault) so they are very accommodating.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

KakerMix posted:

It's a business that would gently caress you over as hard and as quick as it could. The least you can do is try to do the same. Leave your human feelings at the door, the guy selling you the car doesn't care, VW doesn't care and society isn't going to look down at you for playing hardball in the capitalist arena known as car buying.
That's how they get more money, appealing to good people to make it seem like the company is a human, it is not. You take them for all they are worth and they'll be glad of it because that's how capitalism works.

pretty much this. Wait till the end of the month, don't be afraid to walk away, If they stop negotiating price start getting other stuff. My 15 tdi sel w/ everything under the sun started at 33k we ended up at 27k, free tint, free full detail once a year (i will tell them only to do the interior though, don't ever let a dealership "detail" your exterior)

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

scuz posted:

Does anyone here use K&N "high performance" drop-in air filters? Is it really worth the bunch of money?

KN is hot garbage.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

I Am Not Spor posted:

Because I'm a twat.

:perfect:

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

They're not bad really, but they're really no better than a good paper filter, especially for the cost. They can also actively be bad for your MAF if you over oil it at cleaning time.

That said, the one advantage is their ability to be cleaned and reused. Figure over 150k miles, you will have changed a paper filter 5 times. A K&N will have saved you money.

I read a test on nasioc where the guy said it actually filters less than a basic paper filter. He also tested it on dynos for multiple cars and it lowered hp over factory.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

veedubfreak posted:

The TDIs in question were only rated for 40 mpg. TDIs haven't gotten mileage in the 50s since before they put the DPF on them.

i dunno mine break 50 on the freeway and its a 15.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

veedubfreak posted:

The 14s and 15s have the urea tank so they don't have to waste tons of fuel clearing the dpf. The mk6 was only rated at 40 hwy. The MK7 is rated at like 46.

Oh, I didn't know that what the urea was for. I just assumed the goat piss did something magical.

meatpimp posted:

Actual fuel mileage is not comparable to EPA rated fuel mileage.

I know that, that why it is almost impossible to win a case against a car manufacturer for loss of mileage, the manufacturer doesn't say the car can get X mileage the EPA does.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

BlackMK4 posted:

Well, in interest of not flagging a TD1 code on my 2000mi GTI I've ordered a JB1 and a eBay downpipe. Should be good for 300whp / 350ftlb and $500 total. Later on will be the Golf-R (IS38) turbo swap when they have drop-in tunes for them. Supposed to be >400hp.

My friend , have you heard the good word of Borg Warner? http://www.full-race.com/ may borg warners light shine over you.

edit: they dont make kits for audi/vw, this is awkward.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

BlackMK4 posted:

Stock GTI/Golf-R turbos are Borg Warners. :) Pretty much the newest tech, too.
I work a mile or two from Full Race.

e: gently caress, they are IHIs

ya they are ihi's, and ihi is utter trash ( from my subaru experience)

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

EngineerSean posted:

Which cocksuckers, the criminals or the ambulance chasers? I don't have tv but I'm going to sue, the case is gonna be a pretty easy win.

Actually it wont be, but good luck. The US legal system/ the way the epa works basically means the manufacturers are basically in the clear as far as customer liability. Im just gonna take my ~1k check for increased fuel costs and consider it a moral victory.

Lord of Garbagemen fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 24, 2015

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Pryor on Fire posted:

We all get that you have a severe hatred of lawyers from whatever event happened in your life but this is kind of a good reason to sue. It's ok and even good people do it with cases this favorable.

Its really not a good case to sue , here are your arguments:
Mileage: this has already been proven to either give you a small settlement or be denied by courts as the EPA sets mileage , the manufacturer does nothing.
Resale: lol good luck finding proof or evidence that a judge doesn't immediatly throw out, these are cars not the stock exchange
"Green": see resale
Performance: again even if the only reason you bought the car was for performance go ahead and try and prove that this diesels specific performance was your sole reason for buying the car.
They lied to me: and? Damages?

i bought a 2015 tdi (one week before they announced this whole thing), id love to get the cash to get a dpf and egr delete. But after looking into actual cases against manufacters, vdub and the other senior vw guys in this thread were right you will get a free oil change, a vw t shirt, and a .35 cent check from your class action lawsuit.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

The whole thing depends upon the fix Volkswagen enacts. If Volkswagen is able to bring cars to emissions standards without sacrificing much economy/power there really isn't much lawsuit potential.

The lawsuits that would be most likely to be successful are for false advertising and defrauding customers due to the whole "clean diesel" campaign. You cannot legally advertise something that isn't true or is based on deception/fraud. However, if the fix brings things into compliance this angle goes away. Theoretically though this is grounds for a buy back for the fair market value of the car.

Lost resale does have precedent though and is a real monetary damage that can be sued for. It's similar to if you're involved in an accident and your car is not worth the same as it previously was - that money can be recovered. It's pretty easy for someone to gather data on what the cars were selling for before and after an event and create a difference. It's not going to be a whole new car or anything, but it could be a couple thousand.

The loss in power is a possible avenue - but on it's own might not be enough for a lawsuit. You did buy a product advertised at a certain level and if the fix is not minimal, there could be a legal case for that but it would be hard to put a monetary value on this one.

Loss in economy is a possible lawsuit as well but it would be minimal. It's extremely easy to prove - take the rating before and after the fix and there's the monetary damage - but if it only ends up being a 2-3mpg difference it'll be a few hundred dollars at best. 2mpg difference is ~$75/year in costs - most MPG settlements are based on 5 years, so $375 would be the average refund on this one. Obviously if the hit ends up being much higher there is potential for a higher refund here.

I'm incredibly interested in this whole story and I'm really interested to see what the end result is.

Again in order to win a common law actual fraud suit you have to prove 5 things,
Material mistatement
Scienter
Reasonable reliability
Intent to rely
Damages

The 3 you would have trouble proving is the last three. (Constructive fraud , just swap scienter with reckless disregard)

Under UCC, you would have to prove that being "green" was a catalyst to purchasing this car. Now the transaction is over 500$ so it has to be in writing, which means the sales contract is your highest form of evidence. Per the parole evidence rule, anything not in that written contract is inadmissible as evidence or holds no weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

:colbert: Nope. The VNT equipped CRD TDIs had awesome low end torque. Like, right off the line crazy good low end torque

CommieGIR posted:

I love my small diesels. :colbert:

Can confirm 15' tdi has a ton of torque low end, ok mid range, and what feels like nothing over 4k rpms.