Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

BlackMK4 posted:

...where do I start?

Do not buy an automatic TDI. It will blow up and they get significantly worse mileage.

Is this still the case with the new ones with the DSG auto? I looked at a new Jetta TDI Sportwagen and really liked it. I have always been scared of VAG cars because of the electrical systems, but getting a brand new one with a warranty and their maintenance plan makes me feel a bit better about it. Is there anything with the newer generations that I should be concerned about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

veedubfreak posted:

New? You'll be fine. Some of the older DSGs had issues with the mechatronic unit making GBS threads the bed, but that has been sorted. Just be aware it requires a ~400 dollar maintenance every 40k. And don't plan on trying to tow with it.

Yea, brand new, either a 2013 or 2014 depending on what deal I can get them to give me. No plans of towing anything, I have friends and family with trucks if I need to do something like that. Whats the 40k mile maintenance for the transmission?

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Ah ok, thats not bad. Honestly I don't think I would even keep the car that long. I really don't put many miles on my cars(we have put less than 10k miles on the outback we have had for almost 2 years), and seeing as this would be the family car, I would probably trade it on something else in a few years.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

So this might be a better question for the diesel thread, but its a VW so I'll try here first.

I picked up my 2013 VW Jetta Sportswagen TDI at the end of October and it has been awesome so far. The one thing I have noticed is that occasionally(once every week or two) I notice that when I pull up to a stop light, the car seems to be searching for its idle(up and down maybe ~100 rpm) and shaking pretty bad, almost like an engine mount is shot. It acts the same in neutral or in drive, so its nothing with the transmission, and it doesn't ever feel like it has a bad engine mount any other time, so I am confident its not that. Is this just the EGR purge happening? The car gets mostly driven in lovely seattle traffic, so mostly stop and go and around the city. I mentioned it to the dealer when I stopped to grab my license plates, and their only guess was the EGR system, and since its so infrequent they are not going to be able to replicate it.

At this point I am really not to concerned since it has only happened a couple times, but I just want to be sure that it is not a ticking time bomb.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Bovril Delight posted:

Sounds like a regen cycle. Get that thing on the highway once in awhile.

You wanna know the sad thing? My daily commute is ~10 miles of highway each way, in rush hour. It takes me 30-45+, depending on traffic, minutes each way. If I leave work before traffic gets bad? 15 minutes. The joys of living in Seattle. On the plus side, I am still getting over 30mpg even in the horrid traffic, compared to the ~20mpg I would get in the old outback it replaced or my e30 for the same commute.

It is getting its first roadtrip this weekend though, heading down to portland for a little family getaway. Finally I will get to see how good of mileage I can get on open highways.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

veedubfreak posted:

As was already stated, it idles rough because it is trying to heat up the DPF. It does this by adding fuel to the exhaust cycle of the engine. If you feel it stumbling at a light or when stopped and idling, this means you have extra bonus horse power. So drive the piss out of it for the next few miles/minutes to let the DPF get up to temp and clear out all that soot. Another thing to be aware of is that sometimes when you turn the car off the fans will still be running. This means you interrupted a regen and need to give it an Italian tuneup the next time you drive it. If you interrupt the regen too many times in a row it can cause issues that require taking it to the dealer.

I have been slacking on giving the car italian tune ups. Thankfully I have only shut it off one time when the fans kept going, the other couple times it started doing behaving odd, it went away before I got to where I was going.

Either way, the car is at the dealer for the first time since it seems that someone put the steering wheel on slightly off and it has been slowly driving me crazy since I picked the car up. It drives dead straight with no pulling or anything, but the steering wheel is ~10 degrees off to the left and I couldn't take it anymore.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

blk posted:

A friend of mine might be moving overseas and leaving behind his 2012 Sportwagen TDI DSG. I'm considering buying it from him for my wife, it has about 24k mile on it now and 12k left on the warranty (he might not be moving for a few months so I don't know what the situation would be at that point). I don't know much about modern VWs - anything I should know about the drive train, electrics, or other issues? I've typically been scared off by VWs but might be willing to give this a shot.

(Please forgive the crosspost, trying to get as much info as I can from this and the TDI thread).

I have really liked my 2013 so far, but I have only had it a few months. I am also very scared by VAG cars, so the only reason I got one is because it is new and has a warranty. I have heard nothing but good things about them though, so I am not as concerned.

veedubfreak posted:

The new TDI is great, but God help you if you misfuel it.

This is the thing I am really worried about when my girlfriend finally starts driving ours(driving anxiety issues that I am trying to get her past). I think I will go for the just dont fill it up if I am not around approach. She is very smart, but was kinda confused when I first filled it up and was asking why I was using the green pump.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

two_beer_bishes posted:

Good to know, thanks. We're looking at the TDI for either model, so engine choice isn't a factor.

The Jetta tdi sportwagen is actually a Golf in every other market. It is kinda funny to see a identical car to mine, except with canadian plates and a Golf badge on the back.

I don't know about your area, but in Seattle, used tdi's just do not exist except with super high mileage. I had 2 different dealers laugh at me when I mentioned finding a CPO tdi sportwagen. I was looking at used ones, and the price difference was not enough to justify the high mileage on every used one out there, so I ended up getting a new 2013 instead. I also managed to get on the 0% financing deal they had trying to get rid of the 2013 models, so that helped make that decision as well.

Just decided to poke at CL and see what is out there for used ones now. This is the cheapest one listed, a 2009 with 120k miles for $14k. Anything else that is a 2010 or newer is $18k+.

slurry_curry fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 9, 2014

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Never looked at what other similar cars would end up costing to insure, mainly since I knew I wanted a wagon. Granted my new insurance premiums were a bit of a shock, even tho I knew it was coming. For some reason going from a '91 BMW 318i with just the basics to a 2013 JSW with comprehensive/collision/gap insurance raised my rates a bit.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

BraveUlysses posted:

Bluetooth should work great. I use pandora and google music through BT audio on my TDI.

The one thing that I don't like about running music over BT from my phone is that I can not navigate playlists and everything from the head unit. Have you tried using the SD card slot on the headunit? I took the card from my phone and put it in using an adapter, but it couldn't read it. I guess I have to get out the owners manual and figure out how to set one up properly for it.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

BraveUlysses posted:

No, unfortunately it doesn't offer any control of playlists through the head unit when you're paired with BT and android, but I think it works with our newish ipod nano.

I have my girlfriends ipod plugged in via the cable in the center console, but of course that is all her music. When I am alone in the car I just stream music from my phone, but if I get sick of the playlist I am using its a bitch to get to my phone, unlock it and find something new while driving. Doesn't help that you can be pulled over in washington if a cop sees you with a phone in your hand. It used to only be a secondary offense(ie they had to stop you for something else and then they could add using your phone while driving onto the tickets), but now its a primary offense.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

lightpole posted:

Driving is a low effort activity but it still requires attention. Your brain cant do two things such as hold a conversation and drive at the same time very well which is why hands free is so dumb. I am really starting to hate all the extra MMI poo poo coming in cars now since a long drive on an empty road or sitting in traffic starts causing me to lose focus and dink around with whatever nav/music/random crap is up.

Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with the law and hate it when people gently caress around with their nav or what have you while driving. This is the first car I have had with BT and fancy stuff like that, so I will answer a call every now and then while driving(which is rare since I rarely call anyone), but thats only because I can control everything I need to from the steering wheel and the speaker phone works very well. I tend to just leave my phones music player on random and just change to the next track, since I can do that from the steering wheel.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

I am pretty impressed with it and everyone I have talked to said they can hear me just fine and were surprised when I told them it was from in my car. I have no problem hearing anyone on the other end too. Granted this is the first car that I have ever had anything like this in, so my expectations were pretty drat low to start with.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

veedubfreak posted:

Just don't touch the oil until 10k, if you didn't pick that up out of the quote.

Is that really the best thing to do? I am just about to hit 5k miles on mine, and last time I had to take it to the dealer(license plate lights were falling out) the put on the little form that the next time to bring the car in was at 5k miles. The dealer gave me a "free" oil change when I bought the car, that can be used for the 40k mile change(3yr/30k mile free service). Is there any other reason I would need to bring my car in at 5k? Initially I was going to have them change the oil at 5k just because modern cars scare me and I don't trust the oil to last like they say it will, but the more I hear about it the more I think I will just wait till 10k.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

veedubfreak posted:

If anything a modern car should scare you less. Modern engines have such tight tolerances there's very little you can do to gently caress it up other than overheating it or running it out of oil. Break ins made sense with it was Jimbob putting a motor back together in his back yard. I have never and probably will never do any of the silly voodoo people claim needs to be done. I was given one rule from the dealership, don't floor it in 6th.

Step 1: drive sane until the car is warmed up
Step 2: beat the ever loving piss out of the car every now and then.
Step 3: if it starts idling high and bucking a bit, drive it even harder because it wants to get the DPF hot to burn out the gunk.

My 2004 GLI with the 1.8t got 7500m oil changes and never burned a lick of oil.

Yea, I get all of that. The being scared part is because I have never gone over 5k miles on a oil change(well at least not on a car that I wasn't actively trying to kill), and before my JSW the newest car I had ever owned was a '91.

I guess my real question is, is there any reason to not change the oil at 5k miles except that its unnecessary? I should probably hold onto my free oil change till the 40k mile one comes along, though I am not sure if I will even still have the car by that point.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

siliciferous posted:

Did the service schedules for the MY'91 and prior cars you owned demand synthetic oil?

I have only run synthetic in 2 of my previous cars( both aw11 mr2's with 20v motor swaps) and I still changed the oil around every 5k miles just because it felt right. Neither demanded synth, but they were running it when I bought them so I just kept with it.

Motronic posted:

That sounds a whole lot like something who's only source will be a VWVortex poster in his early 20s that thinks he's a mechanic because he put a bigger turbo on his shitbox.

Yea, that does sound kinda suspect. I can understand it being a waste, but its hard to believe it will have any negative effects on the engine.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Shifty Pony posted:

I saw some people talking about a similar setup. Maybe an intermediate version of the radio?

I'm really just considering selling it and giving the buyer the option of me installing one of the OEM radios on ebay or taking $300 cash and they can decide to put in their own. How much would a single owner '10 Jetta TDI with 43k miles go for?

Depends on where you live, but around here(seattle), they seem to get listed around $15k with even higher mileage on them. The resale was one of the reasons that I ended up getting my JSW tdi. CPO ones just don't exist in this area and 2 year old ones seem to go for $20k, even with 30k miles on them.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

actionjackson posted:

I like using the SD card for audio, though I wish there was a way to scan through tracks faster as I listen to a lot of mixes.

I have been meaning to pickup another SD card for my car. I tried putting in the one from my android phone thats loaded with music, but the car couldn't read it. Do you have to use a specific format?

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

borkencode posted:

I have a 2012 Passat TDI that had the check engine light came on, checked at autozone for the error code: P0203. It says "Injector circuit open- cylinder 3"

Is this likely to be a crazy $1000+ repair? I've read that injectors are pricey. Also can anyone recommend a good Chicago/ south suburbs repair shop?

Is the car not under warranty anymore? I would just take it to the vw dealer.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

trouser chili posted:

So uh, seems a bit early but my 2014 TDI is acting up. Perhaps it was funky fuel or something, but I had an incident of misfiring after a hot restart. After starting the engine, I attempted to pull away in first, and that's when it happened. Strong vibrations from the engine and it sounded like it was firing on just two cylinders. I pushed the clutch back in and came off the accelerator. The engine returned to idle and then drove normally. This was at 9,100 miles. I'm now at 10,000. The misfire incident happened last Saturday. Yeah, I've been doing some driving.

Anyway the car goes into the shop on Wednesday anyway since it's due an oil change. Thinking maybe the fuel filter is clogging? I dunno, it's picked up a bunch of diesel knock too, but I kinda figured that was due to the rings setting in and raising compression.

Please keep us updated on anything that comes from this. I am at about 8,500 miles on my '13, so I am very curious if there is something I should be watching for.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

veedubfreak posted:

As to you folks having TDI troubles, are you sure you're not just running into a regen cycle? The first few regen cycles make the car idle like absolute poo poo and do weird things, but they eventually stop (or you get used to it). I'm coming up on 33k on my '11 and haven't had any issues other than the drat hiccup at 1900 rpms which seems to be a common issue with the ecu mapping on the TDI.

The regen cycle freaked me out the first couple times that it happened, but I am used to that now. Pretty sure trouser chili is aware of them as well. Sadly my girlfriend does not appreciate me giving the car an italian tune up when I notice it....

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

agarjogger posted:

Should I buy a new Passat TDI SE? Or a motherfucking Prius.

I had a Passat loaner car, and hated the interior compared to my tdi JSW. It was also a gas version, which I hated even more. But I would def take a passat tdi over a prius any day.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

There are very few 4 door cars that will be comfortable for 4 largish adult passengers. That being said, I would probably go for the passat. the back seat on my JSW is fine, but when I have my seat where I want it(I am ~6'1") there is not much space left behind it. My short friends are fine, but anyone normal sized would be uncomfortable. Honestly I never even looked at the passat since I wanted a wagon, so I do not know how it compares besides its bigger.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Throatwarbler posted:

The Jetta and Passat both have by far the most rear seat legroom in their segments.

http://www.cars.com/go/compare/trimCompare.jsp?acodes=USC40VWC041I0,USC40BMC081A0,USC40VWC033D0,USC40FOC122A0

The Jetta has almost as much as a 7 series BMW and the Passat has more.

drat, I had no idea they had that much rear legroom. Had to add a Jetta Sportswagen to the compare, and apparently the wagon looses a couple inches of rear legroom over the sedan(38.1 vs 35.5), and somehow the wagon is a couples inches shorter overall as well(182.2 vs 179.4). Probably because the wagon isn't actually a Jetta but a golf instead. I still have no idea why they decided it should be a Jetta in the US and a Golf everywhere else, including Canada.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

trouser chili posted:

I bought a 2014 Sportwagen TDI just over a year ago. I think the pano sunroof is neat but I didn't buy it and still wouldn't buy it today. The pano are known to sometimes spontaneously shatter. If I were buying today I think I'd wait for the 2015 models to show up.

Yea, I only ended up with the sunroof on my 2013 because it was the right color and it was on the lot, so they gave it to me for $500 instead of $1600. Haven't had any trouble with mine yet, thankfully.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Is there a way to stop the radio from turning the volume down when you start driving? My 2013 JSW tdi drives me crazy since you start the car, the radio comes one at a set volume. Then you pull away and it drops the volume down a bunch. Not a huge deal, turn the volume back up even higher now so I can hear over the road/car noise etc. Then I park the car, forgot to turn the volume down and walk away. Get back to my car and I am greeted to the radio blasting. Doesn't help that I normally stream music from my phone, which is quieter than the SD card I have in the stereo as well.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

BraveUlysses posted:

I think we have the same car and mine does the opposite, the volume goes up with speed and down again when you slow down but I'm not sure I've seen how to change the settings.

See, now that is the behavior I would expect. 2013 JSW without navigation? If our cars do the opposite but are the same year/model/etc I will be extra confused. Hopefully I can find some sort of option to change it without needing access to vagcom.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

BraveUlysses posted:

oh, no I do have navigation and sunroof on my car (shouldn't have gotten them though).

Ah, I have a sunroof as well, but that was only cause they had it on the lot and sold it to me for the same price as one without the sunroof. Didn't want the nav since VW electronics scare me and I did not trust the proxy keys. I will be rather disappointed if they got the volume poo poo backwards on the 2 different head units.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Wife is dead set on getting a 10-14 tdi jettasportwagen. What am I looking for as far maintenance is concerned? Tsb's? Recalls? I know the basic 30,60,90,120 but as far as diesel specific stuff i'm kinda in the dark.

My 2013 has been great, granted we only have 15k miles on it. First auto car I've owned and I love how the DSG drives. I would recommend looking at the 2015's since at least in the pnw used ones are barely cheaper than a new one. That and I like the slight styling changes they made on the new ones.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

We live in Washington, and I have already run into the tdi madness as far as pricing. We are looking at getting a one way plane ticket to get one out of cali as the hype isn't as insane down there. Whats your average mileage? I have been reading that the stated mileage is much lower than people are getting, is that true?

I live in Seattle and spend probably 95% of my time driving in Seattle traffic and average mid 30's(I honestly don't pay that much attention to my mileage) but I do tend to drive it pretty hard and leave the transmission in sport mode most of the time since the engine breaking is great in traffic and I prefer the throttle feel. on road trips I have seen close to 50mpg. I really don't drive that much, picked up the car on Halloween 2013 with 42 miles on it and I have yet to hit 16k miles.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

KakerMix posted:

The Sportwagens without question look better to me but I haven't seen a new R in person yet. In pictures I don't think they look as good as the MK6s but I might be biased :v:
Depending on what the Focus RS ends up being like I might jump ship but if VW did bring the R Wagon over I'd get that without question.

I feel bad every time I drive by a new golf sportwagen in my 2013 jetta sportwagen because they look so much better. I am tempted to trade mine in on one, but I am still holding out hope they will bring out a tdi 4motion wagon. That I could justify trading in my car for, but at this point I can't do it for a better looking body.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

ppyy posted:

This is the exact plan I hatched last night. The year-end event looks like pretty good terms...

Do it, picked my '13 up during the same event and got 0% financing, which made me feel much better about buying a new car. Also got one with a sunroof for no extra cause it was the right color and they wanted it off their lot instead of binging in another car without a sunroof for me.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

I completely agree about the DSG. It has its downsides, but is also the best auto I have ever driven. It really comes down to what conditions you will be driving in most of the time. Mine is mostly used for commuting in a city with terrible traffic, so the DSG made the most sense. At times I kinda wish I got the 6spd, but then I spend 45 minutes in stop and go traffic and I love the DSG.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

HatfulOfHollow posted:

How does a buyback generally work if that's what happens? Do they just give bluebook value? I bought my 2013 TDI with the intention of driving it for 5 or 6 years after it was paid off. I only owe 10k on it right now because I've been making large payments so I want to understand how screwed I'm going to be.

same for me, except I owe ~$16k still. I wasn't in any hurry to pay it off since we got the 0% financing deal from VW Credit.

BraveUlysses posted:

It wasn't easy, it required years of deceit and manipulation by engineers at the test facilities to keep up the charade.

I'm irritated because my vehicle lost 5-6k in equity in the past few months because of these dumb fucks. I never would have bought the TDI if I had known this was going to happen.

The reflash that VW put out last year to try to address this issue with increased regen cycles is also annoying as gently caress, now that I'm driving the car more during the winter.

but hey don't stop apologizing

I am mostly annoyed by this since right before the news broke, I was thinking about swapping my TDI out for an electric car, since we moved and I work from home, so I normally only drive maybe 10-15 miles a day. Now we are stuck with the car, and might take a hit if they do a buyback. One of the main reasons I bought the loving thing is because of the resale value. Before all this bullshit, I would have been able to get close to $25k for mine used, since its a 2013 with ~19k miles. Hell at this point I would take a e-golf, but for some reason they won't sell me one since I live in Washington.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

BraveUlysses posted:

well, dont worry too much, the buyback would need to account for the value of the car before they hosed up the resale prices.

Yea, as long as they take that into account I should be fine. Is it bad that I want an i3 for an around town car? They look stupid, but seem to be the best electric for the price, and you can lease them super cheap.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I believe most insurance companies charge extra if you want replacement coverage instead of actual cash value. I know I have actual cash value coverage.

Its normally called Gap insurance, at least from the side of having a loan against the car. It makes sure that they will pay off what you owe and not pay what the car is worth. I was just about to cancel my gap insurance when the scandal hit, then the values tanked and I figured I should leave it.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

lightpole posted:

Do what my dad did and lease an e Golf. He got a huge green tax credit and then beat them down on the price so he's pretty much got a free car for the next 3 years.

I thought about that option, but for some stupid reason they won't sell me an egolf despite living in Seattle, were everyone has an electric car or hybrid. If the buyback actually goes through, I will probably get rid of my TDI and lease an i3.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

lightpole posted:

I think they are a little hard to find. They had to ship it from Fresno to SF for him.

He's really happy with it though and drives it under almost the exact same conditions you would. He says he can push the charge to about 100 miles if he tries.

I'm sure they are hard to find, but they also only sell them in certain states:

vw.com posted:

Sorry, the e-Golf will be available only at participating dealers in California, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington, DC.

I really don't get why they won't sell them in Washington. I swear at least half the newer cars on the road are electric or hybrid. Model S's are so common I've stopped even noticing them. Granted a all electric vw kinda terrifies me, but it's one of the only electric cars that just looks like a car.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I did see something about VW having like 3 months to arrange drop off at a local dealer once you sign on the dotted line.

I guess I will fill out the paperwork, buy a new car and park my VW on the street until they contact me.

My question is, when do you get the pay out? I just want to know a time frame so I can find/buy a new car before I have to turn in my TDI, as it is our primary car and my wife would get sick of having to take my miata everywhere. I could buy something new before hand, but I would rather not have 2 car payments at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

qutius posted:

What is everyone looking at getting for a replacement if you're taking the buyback? Thinking of either a truck or a wagon of some sort myself.

I am actually thinking a i3 if they still are offering the lease* deal(24 month, $191/month, $5k down) when the buyback actually happens. If not, definitely some sort of wagon. Top of the list currently is a Mercedes E class wagon(3rd row seats!) or a Volvo v60. A TSX wagon would be nice, but they are hard to find.

*I know leases are terrible, but it's cheap enough that it would work for me and since in 2 years I will most likely need a larger family car. And I really like driving the i3, I rarely drive more than ~20 miles in a day so it makes sense for my current lifestyle. And I do not want to own an electric bmw outside of a warranty.