Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
My wife is looking at a Golf to replace her civic. A while ago we were looking at possibly replacing my E30 with a WRX and found a dealer through nasioc that gave awesome prices simply because of their sales volume. I haven't had time today yet to look through vwvortex for anything similar, but does anyone here know of anything? Location doesn't matter aside from being in the US.

edit: Looks like VW of Langhorne, PA has decent deals through TDIclub

two_beer_bishes fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I posted earlier about looking at a new Golf and I hadn't spent much time looking at VW's website. My wife and I were looking around last night and I was surprised to see the Jetta so much cheaper than the Golf.

This is probably a dumb question, but is there any reason not to consider a Jetta over a Golf? We're looking primarily at used cars, 2012-2013 with 5k-15k miles on it for right around $18k-20k. Going to spend some time at a dealer in the next day or two to drive both of them, but any insight would be appreciated!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

veedubfreak posted:

The jetta -is- cheaper than the golf. The interior is gm style hard plastic, the base model has drum brakes and trailing arm suspension in the rear. There are a lot of cost cutting items in a base model Jetta. Where on the Golf, even the base model has 4 wheel disks, fully independant rear suspension and the upgraded interior. The base model jetta is the old rear end 2.slow with 115hp, where the base golf is 170hp. The base model jetta is super super stripped. Apples to apples, you need to get into at least a jetta SE, and then prices are real close.

Good to know, thanks. We're looking at the TDI for either model, so engine choice isn't a factor.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Found a CPO 2012 Golf TDI with 22k miles for $19k. Trying to get them to come down on price a tiny bit before picking it up!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
What's the deal with the HPFP issues on the VW common rail diesels (mk6 Golfs specifically)? Is that something that I can just replace with a new part when I buy the car and call it a day?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

Nobody really KNOWS the cause, or if they do they aren't talking (VW/bosch). Because of that you cannot be sure that a new fuel pump won't also be affected.

Ok, that's what I understood as well. I saw that someone there makes a filter kit for both sides of the pump that sells for around $400. Seems like cheap insurance when compared to the repair costs! It also sounds like people are getting vw to foot the bill even when the car has over 100,000 miles but of course there's no guarantee that they'll continue to do so. I really want a golf tdi and I'm trying to not let this dissuade me.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Is there any way to find out what size rotors my rear brakes have? 2011 Golf TDI. Apparently they come in two sizes, 272mm and 260mm. I didn't see any markings on the caliper itself but it has Bosch pads (I guess the difference is Lucas or Bosch for rotor sizes). I know I could just pull a wheel off and measure the rotor but that isn't easily done right now.

I looked at Rockauto and they have pictures of reman Lucas and Bosch calipers and my car appears to match the Bosch system but I'd like to know for sure before I start ordering parts!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Thanks for looking. I think I'll just get some at autozone so I can easily return them if they're wrong, then I'll know for next time too. Or maybe I'll just play in the snow and take a wheel off.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Thanks! The confusion was which size the rear rotors are since most sites I was looking at (neither of those) showed both rear sizes. I just confirmed that they are indeed Bosch and with a length of wire (the most accurate method), I measured 11in which is just over 272mm so that's what I'll go with!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Anyone have experience with the VW erWin site? I'm thinking about grabbing a 24hr subscription and printing everything for my mk6 Golf

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Styles Bitchley posted:

Send it to me so i can turn off the annoying horn honk when you lock with remote.

gently caress. Me too

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
My wife hates the side mirrors on our '11 Golf. I drive it primarily and have the mirrors set up just right (which took forever to do), but eventually this will become her car. She thinks the issue is that the mirrors don't sit flush with the side of the car, that they stick out too far (her civic has flush mirrors that she doesn't have any problems with). ECS tuning has blind spot mirrors that seem to do the trick and I'm sure are much cheaper than any other option, but does anyone know if there are any aftermarket mirrors that sit flush with the side of the car?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

Midwest. Is there something to check preemptively? It sounds like the official fix doesn't work.
Sounds like there's not much to be done???

Nothing you can do about the HPFP, when it goes it goes with no warning. The intercooler icing you can check up on by taking the lower hose off and draining it once in a while. We picked up our 2011 Golf TDI in February and I checked for water on the 1st of each month for the first 4 months and there was only a tiny bit the first time I checked and no noticeable amount since then so I don't check nearly as often now.

VW has been paying for the HPFP repairs in the US even for cars well out of warranty. It's not an official policy but the vast majority of people have been getting taken care of.

two_beer_bishes fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 29, 2014

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

movax posted:

Cool - ordered the OEM kit to save some bucks as well. I'll see if someone at work has a power bleeder I can borrow -- dumb rear end question, but can I replace the rotors/pads without doing anything to the fluid, and bleed it later? Or is it a all at once process?

You can do rotors/pads without touching the fluid.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Does anyone know what is takes to get a mk6 TDI to regen? Like what speed/engine load/etc?

edit: how bad is it for the car when regens are regularly interrupted?

two_beer_bishes fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Oct 24, 2014

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Jesus christ seriously? I've been running that poo poo in my mk6 golf for the last month

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Haven't seen this mentioned yet, but I got a letter in the mail from VW today for my mk6 Golf TDI saying they have extended the warranty on the HPFP to 10 years or 120,000 miles!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Wife is dead set on getting a 10-14 tdi jettasportwagen. What am I looking for as far maintenance is concerned? Tsb's? Recalls? I know the basic 30,60,90,120 but as far as diesel specific stuff i'm kinda in the dark.

The fuel pump is really the killer on the CR TDI engines as it tends to take out the entire fuel system with it when it grenades. But as mentioned VW just extended the warranty on the HPFP so I wouldn't let that stop you.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Withnail posted:

I just bought a sportwagen tdi today and turned down the extended warranty. Although I can still buy it. Should I reconsider?

I would say it depends who the warranty is through and what it covers. Generally third party warranties aren't worth it.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

veedubfreak posted:

As an owner of an MK7 R, who paid for the 7 warranty, 292 hp is going to be more than enough for me until the warranty is out :)

How do you like the 4MOTION system? Can you tell it's FWD and only kicks in the rear wheels when necessary? I want my next car to be RWD again but my wife is pushing for FWD but readily agreed on AWD, and she wants something sporty as poo poo so the R is looking like the front contender!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

veedubfreak posted:

The haldex-5 which is what mine has is nearly invisible. If you're paying attention you can some times feel it disengage the rear for fuel savings, but when you need the power, it's all there. I run either in comfort mode, or individual which is comfort mode with sport engaged. Running full race mode will make your kidneys bleed, and I really don't like how heavy the steering gets. What was I talking about? Oh ya, the awd.. Haldex 5 is there when you want it and takes a smoke break when you don't need it. Also, it takes roughly a 6000 rpm launch with the manual to not lag out on the launch. Keep the car at 3500+ rpms and it is a rocket. Lose boost, and just find the next Denny's to drown your shame in.

Thanks, just what a wanted to hear! I sent this to my wife and she responded with "I want a rocket!" so that settles it!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
We just bought our 2011 Golf tdi last February so I'm pretty bummed about this and the impending drop in value. I love driving the car; it handles great, rides great, loads of torque, and the great fuel economy is a bonus. I have no intention of bringing the car to a dealer for this recall since I don't see how it won't ruin it. I'll only have it done if my state requires it in order to renew the registration.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

fknlo posted:

Not everyone can be without their car for however long it takes them to gently caress with it because you have to send them the ECU. Or at least you did when I asked the local Malone dealer a couple of years ago.

I was under the impression that if you have a local Malone dealer they can do it on the spot. Is that not the case?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

fknlo posted:

The ECU update they released in December was supposed to be a fix for the issue. It obviously didn't work. If it were fixable in a fashion that didn't completely gently caress with mileage or longevity of emissions components it would have been done by now.

Like I said, it's been a couple years, but my local Malone dealer said no.

Oh gotcha, I'll have to look into it when I move out of NY (goddamn inspections).

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

schmagekie posted:

I really need to do this to my 2012 Golf TDI... Hold off until the EPA/VW figures this out?

Same boat, I'm waiting so I can bring my car in and get it on the "compliant" list then I'll send the ecu off to malone and get it fixed.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Went to the dealer today to activate the goodwill giftcards for my golf. It was pretty painless but pretty entertaining. The manager told me that the demand for these cars is going up like crazy and the values will follow shortly. I told him I don't believe any of that and he says "yeah I know it's hard to believe" :lol:

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
What's the consensus on the GTI with the performance package? Is the 10hp and upgraded differential worth it?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I might swing by and check it out then, thanks!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Is there anywhere that shows pre-dieselgate values for the affected cars?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Pryor on Fire posted:

That seems like a pretty palatable solution for VW owners then. Are you TDI owners happy with that?

I'm guessing TDIs end up in latin america/africa like all undesirable but functional used cars seem to.

I'm not sure, but if it's pre scandal + $5k I'll probably take it since that would mean they paid us about a grand to drive for 3 years. But then I have to replace it and it's the perfect car for my wife's 100 mile per day commute. We'll probably get a 2013+ Accord if that's what it comes to.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Settlement details! I'm still hoping that something comes out about incentives to get a new VW since my wife has been eyeing the new GTI, but even so the proposed amounts cover our purchase price and sales tax!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I've been reading about people finding new GTIs for 5-6k off MSRP, mostly in the south but I don't have any other specifics. Does anyone have any advice for someone willing to travel out of state for a new car?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

fknlo posted:

My friend just got 6k off a GTI, so yeah it's definitely happening.

What area are you in?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

fknlo posted:

Kansas City. It's not just here either. There have been some threads on VWVortex about it too.

Thanks, I keep forgetting that vortex exists, I'll poke around there this afternoon.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

I Am Not Spor posted:

Can someone tell me where the starter is on a 2009 Jetta TDI? I went to start my car today and it slowly turns over once or twice, and then just starts clicking a lot. I would like to spend $0 on this before the buyback, but that looks like it might not happen.

Check the battery first

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

TWBalls posted:

My apologies if this has already been asked (I'm slowly making my way through the thread), but I'm wondering what this is/does:

I ask, because I took my car in for service and the guy mentioned that my air filter needed to be changed. I wasn't about to fork out the ridiculous amount they wanted (seriously, it was around $70.) when I can just pick up the part at O'Reilly for ~$20.

Anyway, when I was replacing the air filter, I noticed the cover on that part was a bit loose. I looked inside and it looks like there should be a filter in there (I don't know for sure). I've been trying to search to see what that is and if it should have a filter or not to no avail. That's when I remembered this thread existed.

Additionally, when I got out of the car today after driving in to work, I noticed that I didn't hear the normal sound of the cooling fans. I can check the fuse when I go back out to my car, but if there's an actual issue, I'd like to take it to a good mechanic to check on it. Anyone know of a good/reliable mechanic either in the Oakland, CA or San Ramon, CA areas? Thanks!

The circles bit is part of the intake, but I can't remember if that section goes to or from the intercooler. The black section just above and to the right of that is where your air filter is.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

TWBalls posted:

Yeah, they used to stay on for a few minutes after turning off the engine. I imagine that driving 32 miles at 75-80MPH with some hills (580E/W) would be plenty to get the engine hot enough that the fans should run. I'll see if I can drive around town with the windows down to hear if they kick on while driving.

I have a PLX Kiwi bluetooth OBDII adapter, so I can try connecting it and see if I can capture information from the Torque app. I didn't see anything in the app about fans, but there appears to be a number of plugins for it. Maybe one of those can give me some information.

The fans staying on may have been because you turned the engine off during one of those awesome TDI regen cycles. Take a look at the EGTs and if they're below 1000F, you fans won't stay on (400F is more likely at idle). If you're pushing 1200F+, you're in the middle of a regen and the fans will stay on for a little bit.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
The dealerships are going to have VW people assigned to handling the incoming cars. The dealer I bought my GTI from yesterday said that they're expecting 1500 cars (according to what owners selected on the website) to be dropped off at their lot and VW is only sending 3 people to take care of it.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I had a normal household size one (2 liter bottle size) that put out an engine fire in my e30. I wouldn't go smaller than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Any recommendations for a front license plate tow hook mount for a mk7 GTI?