Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
With the recent popularity of Slung Blade's electric tractor conversion over in CC and Pipkin's old truck thread (where the antique landscaping equipment has stolen the show), I've started this thread to show off past, present, and future projects whatever you've got sitting around that doesn't fit the usual car/truck/motorcycle/scooter mold. (Watercraft, aircraft, and R/C vehicles have their own threads, too.) Restoring an antique tractor? Building a DIY 2-stroke margarita blender? Dropping an ACVW into an old Cushman Truckster? Post it here!

Here's what I'm up to:

'52 Ford 8N. This was my grandma's, and the wiring harness started falling apart. My dad rewired it for her; in the meantime, my uncle bought a 4WD Kubota to use, so Dad pushed the Ford back into the field behind his house.

20 years ago.

Uncle has since passed away and Dad has taken possession of the Kubota, so I got the Ford. Aside from the starter, generator, carb linkages and a couple valves, everything works freely. I plan to get it running, replace whatever absolutely needs replacing (like the left rear tire), convert it to 12V with a Delco 10SI alternator, replace all the hydraulic lines, mount the Oliver bucket loader and 3-point rear scraper blade, and be ready to move some serious snow.

Mid-70s Gravely 812. Original Kohler K341 wouldn't start; low compression. Scored an M18S off a Vermeer walk-behind trencher, and the correct transmission adapter from Dad (Gravely service tech for 25 years). I had to modify a Craftsman exhaust to fit around the Gravely transmission (a new exhaust from Gravely is ~$400). I'm currently scrounging up/modifying the last few little Gravely-specific parts to finish the installation, and then it gets loaded tires, tire chains, and a 48" Snowdozer blade.

'77 Gravely 5460. Got it for free with a broken con rod (Kohler K301). Took the crank, piston, and rod out out of the 812's K341, got the block bored, and 10hp becomes 12. Engine is fully rebuilt, ready to go back on...and a Honda GX670 24hp twin with a broken cam falls into my lap. Bolts right up to the Kohler adapter plate. The crank is at the machine shop getting the output end turned to the weird Gravely stepped profile, but it's a side job for my machinist buddy, so it might be a while. :( The red lever between the handlebars is a steering brake, which works like the cutting brakes on a dune buggy. The brake drums are drilled in a 4-lug pattern, so golf cart wheels bolt right on. I may go with 22x11.00 Maxxis Razrs on 10-inch wheels. :black101:

So what are YOU working on?

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 11, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
Just a selection of some of our tractors and projects

Farmall 400

Torque amplifier is nice

Up at the house for a carb rebuild

'70s Troy Bilt rototiller. As per the usual it started with some ether on the 5 year old gas in the tank to till a 20x10 patch of our garden this afternoon.

Currently non running Bready wheelhorse :(

1960ish (I can never remember) Farmall 706 with the 282 I6 diesel, a big comfy seat and power steering are a wonderful thing.

Kickass speedo/tach

Takes a lot of planning to get this started in the winter, when it's really cold it takes at least 4 hours with the block heater plugged in to get hot enough

High, low and neutral + four speeds

Farmall M gets used the second most, mostly with the hay bine

Our ongoing project tractor the Farmall H. The body panels are already painted and it runs beautifully so the only thing left is to paint the chassis.

And finally the 1949ish Ferguson TO20 that does 99% of the work around the farm and is by far the most fun to drive. See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIqKHfpdylQ

MonkeyNutZ fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 10, 2010

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Im currently restoring a 1950's Massey ferguson TE35- with the unusual 23C 4cyl diesel, not the Perkins 3 Cyls.

Will have to get photos later

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I love this thread already.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSAHdpA7fg0
I'm so sorry :(

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Video of Johnny Popper I took at a parade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xunFWvF4FrU

See, I do branch outside of International Harvester.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

trouser chili posted:

Video of Johnny Popper I took at a parade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xunFWvF4FrU

See, I do branch outside of International Harvester.

Only because it's a Deere will I let it slide.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

MonkeyNutZ posted:

'70s Troy Bilt rototiller. As per the usual it started with some ether on the 5 year old gas in the tank to till a 20x10 patch of our garden this afternoon.

:hfive:

InitialDave posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSAHdpA7fg0
I'm so sorry:(

Sony, blocked, copyright, etc.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

I don't own any, but I have piloted a Deere 9880 STS harvester:

..The one I drove had a corn head though. It was also a brand new machine, so I was at the helm of $300,000 of green steel. I'd driven plenty of tractors and older combines before, but this one was just awesome. Definitely was one of the more memorable AI moments in my life.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Bucephalus posted:

Sony, blocked, copyright, etc.
Really? Weird, it works fine for me, and it's normally here in the UK that they apply the copyright hammer.

Actually, that's a little bit satisfying.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Bucephalus posted:

:hfive:

How well do those tires work when you're tilling with it?

I'm used to seeing ag tires on pretty much all equipment like that.

Also, you guys with wheelhorse style walking tractors, what kind of implements do you use?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Slung Blade posted:

How well do those tires work when you're tilling with it?

I'm used to seeing ag tires on pretty much all equipment like that.

I've only used it once, but they must work okay, they've been on there for ~40 years :)

Slung Blade posted:

Also, you guys with wheelhorse style walking tractors, what kind of implements do you use?

Besides the 5460, I also have a Gravely L with a 30" rotary mower, grader blade, and a rotary cultivator that I co-own with my dad. I can also run:
40" rotary mower
50" rotary mower
reel mower (single or 3-gang)
flail mower
sickle bar
rotary plow
circular saw
chainsaw
welder
generator
brush chipper
compost shredder
dewatering pump
2-stage snowblower
trencher
stump grinder
slip scoop
dump cart
etc. etc. etc.

If you're not at all familiar with Gravely tractors, check into them sometime. Running examples from the '50s-'70s can be had for a couple hundred bucks.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I was mostly asking what you guys actually used them for, I know they're capable of many different tasks.

I actually thought about one of these:
http://www.freepowersys.com/

A "sun horse" same idea as the wheel horse, just electric.

And expensive.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Slung Blade posted:

I was mostly asking what you guys actually used them for, I know they're capable of many different tasks.

Ah, gotcha. Mostly tilling, but Dad was using the rotary cultivator so I borrowed Grandma's Troy-Bilt.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

Going through the Opel pictures folder I stumbled on two videos from last year of the Farmall H and chucked them on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNmsTQuYSbg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5-UtyqDq1g

City17
Dec 3, 2006

I would actually like to restore an old tractor someday, when I have a decent sized chunk of land to use it on. I know they are just mechanical beasts, but they seem so foreign and a complete mystery.

Serious question, are they difficult to learn to to work on?

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

Easier then a car for the most part, everything is bigger, simpler and farther apart.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

On pretty much all of them (especially the ones from the 40s and 50s) pretty well everything is supposed to be user-serviceable.

They're fun to work on too, from what I've seen (though I've never done engine work).

Why wait until you have the land? They're not too much for one in decent shape, they don't take up any more space than a beetle (depending on what model you get, of course) and they're a great motivator to go out and find the land you want.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Tractors are for the most part pretty drat easy to work on, but some jobs can be horrible. One of the worse jobs is clutch replacement. For most old units this means you have to complete an operation known as "splitting a tractor".

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Wheres the love for Allis Chalmers? I learned to drive on a C, we now have a B and a D-17. We have a Massey Ferguson problem around here too, a TO-65 diesel and a TO-20. We had a T0-25 until someone left straight water in the cooling system over a winter.

trouser chili posted:

Tractors are for the most part pretty drat easy to work on, but some jobs can be horrible. One of the worse jobs is clutch replacement. For most old units this means you have to complete an operation known as "splitting a tractor".
I have seen this done many a time out in the greenhouse, on everything mentioned above.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

trouser chili posted:

Can't be worse than a FWD econobox clutch replacement.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

EightBit posted:

Can't be worse than a FWD econobox clutch replacement.

Well, imagine if you will the clutch replacement on a traditional front-engine, RWD vehicle. But instead of dropping the transmission, you had to split the whole car in half. This is what happens in tractors because very often the engine/transmission are stressed members. The engine and transmission and transfer case ARE the chassis.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

trouser chili posted:

Well, imagine if you will the clutch replacement on a traditional front-engine, RWD vehicle. But instead of dropping the transmission, you had to split the whole car in half. This is what happens in tractors because very often the engine/transmission are stressed members. The engine and transmission and transfer case ARE the chassis.
Pretty much this.

Click here for the full 1958x1468 image.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Just get one where the frame bolts to the differential / transmission like on mine.

That way you only have to take out the engine. On the plus side, the wiring harness is usually like 3 wires.

Fpenguin
Jul 7, 2006
75% potassium nitrate, 15% charcoal, 10% sulfur
my mothers Massey Ferguson, not really a project but i do get a call whenever something needs to be fixed/figured out. it makes a wonderful jack

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Fpenguin posted:

not really a project

Edited the OP. Post away!

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
I've got two pictures for this thread right now. Unfortunately they were iphone pictures, that then got uploaded to FB, and pulled back off again. So quality is poo poo. I work as a service writer at a local implement dealer. Expect more 'horrible mechanical failure' type pictures of mowing equipment and the occasional ancient bit that has no reason to still be functional.

Today you get:

GERMANY! gently caress yeah! Coming again to cut the motherfucking trees down!

Click here for the full 720x540 image.

And this guy's saw. 30+ years old and still runs like a champ.

Chain brake? Chain catch? That's what your leg is for. What the gently caress is plastic?!

City17
Dec 3, 2006

Slung Blade posted:

Why wait until you have the land? They're not too much for one in decent shape, they don't take up any more space than a beetle (depending on what model you get, of course) and they're a great motivator to go out and find the land you want.

I already have about 2 acres that I take care of with a little Kubota garden tractor (mower), I just wish I had the room/need for something a little meatier.

Plus, I'm already up to my rear end and losing the battle to one project, I can't imagine facing my wife if I drug something else home.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Skyssx posted:

And this guy's saw. 30+ years old and still runs like a champ.

Chain brake? Chain catch? That's what your leg is for. What the gently caress is plastic?!

Tools really were more manly back in the day. They were designed to do work, not look pretty.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Landshark posted:

I already have about 2 acres that I take care of with a little Kubota garden tractor (mower), I just wish I had the room/need for something a little meatier.

Plus, I'm already up to my rear end and losing the battle to one project, I can't imagine facing my wife if I drug something else home.

I only have one acre! make a garden!

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

Landshark posted:

Just think how much faster you could do the lawn with a 3-point 56 inch mowing deck.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Kickass speedo/tach

Is it sad that it only took me 20 seconds to figure that whole thing out?

Fixed gearing is AWESOME. :)

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

Sponge! posted:

Is it sad that it only took me 20 seconds to figure that whole thing out?

Fixed gearing is AWESOME. :)

And holy poo poo, 5000 hours.

Mine doesn't go *anywhere* until it gets a new engine, but it has 4 speeds and two ranges. Then to go forward or backwards, you push or pull a big lever. Your speed will be the same in either direction.
VVVVVVVVVV

Skyssx fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 13, 2010

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

I've had it up to about 18mph on the road towing a hay wagon, the tires are "wet" (filled with Calcium chloride for weight) but not 100% full so they like to slosh a little bit which is a little unnerving at that speed in a 10,000lb tractor.

E: Can your lawn tractor go 7mph in reverse :smug:

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

MonkeyNutZ posted:

I've had it up to about 18mph on the road towing a hay wagon, the tires are "wet" (filled with Calcium chloride for weight) but not 100% full so they like to slosh a little bit which is a little unnerving at that speed in a 10,000lb tractor.

How does that work? I always thought they were filled with lead shot.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
CaCl is a salt that's dissolved in water at a specific ratio, then pumped into a tubed tire. As for the sloshing, it's because the tires are only filled to ~70% with fluid and topped off with air, lest they cease being truly pneumatic, losing all cushioning and flexibility.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

Unlike cars the more weight on a tractor the better, hence the 1,000lbs in wheel weights on out Farmall 400 and wet tires.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Unlike cars the more weight on a tractor the better, hence the 1,000lbs in wheel weights on out Farmall 400 and wet tires.

Which is another reason that light duty tractors can be electric, the fuel is all the ballast you need.

Need more traction? Increase your watt capacity.

Probably wouldn't work when you have to cultivate a million acres in a day, but it works pretty well for small farms. I think these flying beet guys have 60 acres:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJUtTvZQGpM

They don't work it all at once, as far as I know. They run a CSA and they stagger everything to get a nice even spread of produce.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Bucephalus posted:

CaCl is a salt that's dissolved in water at a specific ratio, then pumped into a tubed tire. As for the sloshing, it's because the tires are only filled to ~70% with fluid and topped off with air, lest they cease being truly pneumatic, losing all cushioning and flexibility.

Also a hell of a lot safer than a purely pneumatic tyre in that size- by the time you fill a tyre that big to 20-30psi, theres a HUGE amount of stored energy in there- fill it with water, and your only putting in a small SUV tyres worth of air and energy into it.

Im currently running around work on a little Kubota B1700 mowing- had to clean 1900hrs worth of dust out of the head lights tonight- bit hard to drive the 1.5kms back to the workshop purely by the light of the rotating orange beacon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Do little baby tractors count? I cut the grass every weekend for 12 summers on one of these beauties growing up:

1965 or so Pennsylvania Panzer T-75. Also taught me everything I know about towing a trailer. A 17' Boston Whaler on a full size road trailer looks pretty ridiculous behind a tractor with a 5' wheelbase, let me tell you. As far as I know, it's cut the grass at the same house every summer since it rolled off the truck brand new, although it's on it's fourth or fifth engine. Nowadays it even has such modern conveniences as electric push-button start and stop!

Obviously, this is just a GIS image, if anyone is interested I can try and snap some pictures of my own next time I'm by my parent's house.

This tractor is pretty much as dead-simple as it gets. The rear end is a cut-down Dodge rear end, with the original drum brakes, operated by an independent foot pedal on each side. This, of course, results in amazing donuts. Power is transmitted through a 3-speed belt drive for forward gears, and a direct-contact rubber drum for reverse. What's that? You want to change gears? Turn off the engine and move the belt over to another set of pulleys!

• Locked thread