Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Just a thought that occurred to me (ADwD) Jaqen H'Gar appearing in Oldtown indicates the Faceless Men and/or Braavos have something else entirely going on. Perhaps they are searching for a certain book or some relic? But what if it's not a "what" but a "who"? Perhaps the Faceless Men are searching for Samwell Tarly. He was at the wall when Jaqen allowed himself to be caught and taken to the wall (I assume he is more than capable of evading capture at his whim) but Sam is no longer there. Plus "Pate" seemed rather interested in Sam when he arrived. I don't really have any hard evidence to support this but I think it could be an interesting turn of events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I just finished A Feast for Crows and really liked it. I had been warned that it was utter garbage but I enjoyed just about everything other than Brienne's quest to do nothing and then die.

Since this book and the next book (spoiler about what AFfC and ADwD cover) don't share any characters from what GRRM's afterword in Crows says, do I have to wait until Book 6 to resume any of the story lines in Crows?

chellesandcheese
Jul 12, 2005

lifts cats over head posted:

Just a thought that occurred to me (ADwD) Jaqen H'Gar appearing in Oldtown indicates the Faceless Men and/or Braavos have something else entirely going on. Perhaps they are searching for a certain book or some relic? But what if it's not a "what" but a "who"? Perhaps the Faceless Men are searching for Samwell Tarly. He was at the wall when Jaqen allowed himself to be caught and taken to the wall (I assume he is more than capable of evading capture at his whim) but Sam is no longer there. Plus "Pate" seemed rather interested in Sam when he arrived. I don't really have any hard evidence to support this but I think it could be an interesting turn of events.

The general consensus that I've seen is that (ADWD) The faceless men are interested in a rare book on dragons. This is based on the theory that Euron gave them the dragon egg he claims to have thrown into the sea to pay for the murder of his brother. This explains why he was interested in getting a key that opens every door in the Citadel and why he'd show interest in Sam, since Sam has read the rare books at the Wall that are also about dragons.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I just finished A Feast for Crows and really liked it. I had been warned that it was utter garbage but I enjoyed just about everything other than Brienne's quest to do nothing and then die.

Since this book and the next book (spoiler about what AFfC and ADwD cover) don't share any characters from what GRRM's afterword in Crows says, do I have to wait until Book 6 to resume any of the story lines in Crows?

I'm not going to spoiler this because it's not really a spoiler. ADWD's timeline goes past AFfC, so some of the characters that are in AFfC will reappear in the last third of the book.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

AFFC Brienne's story is better on re-read when you realize it's not really about Brienne's destination, rather than it's about showing the after effects of the War of the 5 Kings. We also get to finally see what a misogynistic rear end in a top hat Randall Tarly is in the way he victim-blames and dispenses justice. We also learn the fate of several characters, get more Podrick Payne and find out what happened to the BwB after Beric finally died.

Post AFFC, ADWD characters (none named) Yes. There are some that do and do not appear in ADWD

lifts cats over head posted:

This makes no sense really only because AFFC Sam shows up at the end of AFFC and of course they may be interested in hearing stories about Dragons (which he heard 2nd, 3rd hand in Braavos) and the White Walkers. Marwyn leaves to consult Daenerys about her dragons. H'Gar may just want to pick Sam's brain since he just fell into H'Gar's presence and it can only benefit H'Gar if the FM are interested in dragonlore.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

chellesandcheese posted:

The general consensus that I've seen is that (ADWD) The faceless men are interested in a rare book on dragons. This is based on the theory that Euron gave them the dragon egg he claims to have thrown into the sea to pay for the murder of his brother. This explains why he was interested in getting a key that opens every door in the Citadel and why he'd show interest in Sam, since Sam has read the rare books at the Wall that are also about dragons.

I have heard that theory before but forgot about it. That makes a lot more sense than the Faceless Men seeking out Sam

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I'm still leaning towards the (AFFC/ADWD) theory that the faceless men want to learn how to kill dragons, not raise them, since we learn early on in one of Tyrion's ADWD chapters about the book A Death of Dragons which is only kept in the Citadel, and that the faceless men/bravosi were former slaves from Valyria and probably are not keen on having more Dragons running around. The raising a dragon theory works too, but seems less likely to me.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

GodFish posted:

I'm still leaning towards the (AFFC/ADWD) theory that the faceless men want to learn how to kill dragons, not raise them, since we learn early on in one of Tyrion's ADWD chapters about the book A Death of Dragons which is only kept in the Citadel, and that the faceless men/bravosi were former slaves from Valyria and probably are not keen on having more Dragons running around. The raising a dragon theory works too, but seems less likely to me.

(AFFC/ADWD) Having a dragon would perhaps help when it comes to killing dragons, though. The fm having a dragon gives them perhaps a counter to Dany or anyone else who has dragons.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
Hi guys, I read the 5 books and wanted to come here and discuss some conspiracies/theories, but this thread is supposed to be spoiler-free (although there are lots of hidden posts and such). Is there any thread specifically to talk about ASOIAF without worrying about spoiling anything, or should I just use the hidden format?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Cable posted:

Hi guys, I read the 5 books and wanted to come here and discuss some conspiracies/theories, but this thread is supposed to be spoiler-free (although there are lots of hidden posts and such). Is there any thread specifically to talk about ASOIAF without worrying about spoiling anything, or should I just use the hidden format?

This thread might not always stay on topic all the time, but it is a place to talk about the books without having to spoiler anything.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Ironically, the TVIV spoiler thread for Game of Thrones is probably the best place on the forums for book discussion at the moment.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Yeah, you may as well come into the Bad Thread.

I really gave up on the whole point of this one, as the read-along and the OP ended over 2 years ago, and most of it is now simply black bars.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Cable posted:

The TVIV spoiler thread is the best for it. Ignore the Bad Thread.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Vigilance posted:

(AFFC/ADWD) Having a dragon would perhaps help when it comes to killing dragons, though. The fm having a dragon gives them perhaps a counter to Dany or anyone else who has dragons.

Oh, indeed:

captain platypus
Aug 30, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Alhazred posted:

Oh, indeed:

The Kindly Man casting revealed!

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Fog Tripper posted:

Are you really spoilering stuff from that early on?

Re-re-read update:

Pre-Stoneheart (AKA, bitchface Stark) meets with Walder Frey and agrees to have Robb marry one of his daughters.

Cat is like the Kevin Bacon of really lovely results. Everything lovely is less than 7 degrees from the fool. Most are 1 degree.

"Bitchface Stark"? Oh that's nice. It's Robb that was the idiot. Cat did what she had to do for Robb to cross the river. What else could they have done? If Cat didn't agree to Frey's terms Robb would have been stuck on the wrong side of the river.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

stratdax posted:

"Bitchface Stark"? Oh that's nice. It's Robb that was the idiot. Cat did what she had to do for Robb to cross the river. What else could they have done? If Cat didn't agree to Frey's terms Robb would have been stuck on the wrong side of the river.

Forget it, he's Fog Tripper. There's really no point in arguing with him if you're seeking to change his mind on this.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

whowhatwhere posted:

Forget it, he's Fog Tripper. There's really no point in arguing with him if you're seeking to change his mind on this.

lol, I remember how in some GoT thread he was arguing with me that Joffrey had married Sansa.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.

stratdax posted:

They are both idiots. The RW probably would never have happened if they both hadn't been trying to one up the other with stupidity.
C: I captured Tyrion and then brought him to my crazy sister who let him go.
R: Well I went and eloped.
C: Fine then ill just free Jamie Lannister, easily the most valuable Lannister hostage short of Tywin.
R: Then I'm going to kennel Grey Wind so I can chill with all the peeps he growls at.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
I feel like you can write something like that for every single person in the series to prove they're idiots though...

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

whalestory posted:

I feel like you can write something like that for every single person in the series to prove they're idiots though...

GURM doesn't have a positive view of people in his fantasy fanfic epic based on his ideas of actual history? :eyepop:

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

regulargonzalez posted:

lol, I remember how in some GoT thread he was arguing with me that Joffrey had married Sansa.

[citation needed]

Not saying it didn't happen, I have no recollection of it.

Carry on with the Cat apologizing though. It's pretty awesome.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Everyone related to the Stark bloodline is affected with severe mental issues if they are past or just reaching puberty. Even Sansa did her part for the family by tipping off Cersei because she didn't want to be sent away from her abusive boyfriend.

This includes the Karstarks and people that marry into the Stark family (Cat).

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

Even Sansa did her part for the family by tipping off Cersei because she didn't want to be sent away from her abusive boyfriend.

That was Ned's fault too. Why he would tell any of his plans to his daughters, especially one who was proven to have enough stars in her eyes to blind her, is beyond me. You can't really blame a 13(?) year old girl for anything, she has no idea what's going on. Especially when Ned tells her just enough for her to ruin his plans, but not enough to know why she should keep it a secret.

Blind Melon posted:

They are both idiots. The RW probably would never have happened if they both hadn't been trying to one up the other with stupidity.

Well sure they're both idiots. Everyone's an idiot. Littlefinger is the only one in any of the books to have his poo poo together. But the Red Wedding specifically happened because of Robb's idiocy, not Cat's agreement to the terms. If Robb upheld his end of the deal, all would have been well.

Fog Tripper posted:

Carry on with the Cat apologizing though. It's pretty awesome.

Don't you mean "Bitchface"?

stratdax fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Aug 6, 2013

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

stratdax posted:

That was Ned's fault too. Why he would tell any of his plans to his daughters, especially one who was proven to have enough stars in her eyes to blind her, is beyond me. You can't really blame a 13(?) year old girl for anything, she has no idea what's going on. Especially when Ned tells her just enough for her to ruin his plans, but not enough to know why she should keep it a secret.

That was one of the American Tolkien's hardest punches to the gut at that point.

I'm having a difficult time thinking of something that horrible so early in the series.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

syscall girl posted:

That was one of the American Tolkien's hardest punches to the gut at that point.

I'm having a difficult time thinking of something that horrible so early in the series.

Lady's death.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Finished season 2 on HBO, now onto read Storm of Swords.

Also these are awesome, definitely getting the "Summer is Coming" one

http://www.bustedtees.com/gameofthrones

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

I can't exactly afford it right now but I really want that KingSlayer shirt.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I was following Zombie Lincoln's old read-along and after Clash of Kings there was just pages and pages of black bars up to page 40. Was there never a ASOS readthrough?

And is this the right thread to comment on ACOK and season 2 of the show? :ohdear: (I've almost finished both) Currently super bummed out by how much better Jon Snow's "defection" was in the book. Rather than just "Jon gets lost, gets captured, finds out every other ranger except Quorin got killed searching for him", they actually went through this tense and harrowing campaign, being picked off by the wildlings. :smith:

A little sad that the Ramsay Snow/Reek plot twist wasn't in the show, although I genuinely didn't understand it at first and had to look it up. Same happened with Roose Bolton taking Harrenhal. Although Ser Rodrik's different death in the show was one of the best scenes, and they really improved the handling of Yoren.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

VagueRant posted:

I was following Zombie Lincoln's old read-along and after Clash of Kings there was just pages and pages of black bars up to page 40. Was there never a ASOS readthrough?

I have brought that up in the past in that thread. I really cannot comprehend the point of it, 2 years after the "read along" kind of died (ie: Zombie Lincoln went AWOL)

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Yeah it's a bit odd, but I think it's useful to keep this thread around as a place for people on their first read-throughs to ask questions. At the moment it's basically ask in the non-spoiler TV/IV thread, or chance your arm at visiting the TVIV or TBB spoiler threads, and hope that there isn't a bunch of people on that page casually discussing how Snape kills Dumbledore or whatever.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I hope this is the right place to ask.

Anyway, I just finished Clash of Kings and liked it a lot, specially Jon and Arya parts are way more interesting then in the TV show
One thing though, that I just cant get over: why on earth Arya wont reveal herself to Bolton??? I watched the show, I know about what Bolton will do, I know he is a traitor and a psycho.

But Arya didnt. For all she knows, Bolton is her brother bannerman, he is a northman, fighting the Lannisters, her enemies. She has no way of knowing that he will eventually be a traitor. As a matter of fact, she as access to his meetings and even letters, and all reasons to believe he is on her brothers side.

I can understand why she grew very suspicious of everyone by that point, and might be a little suspicious of Bolton anyway. But weighting her options, reveling herself "Hey, Im Arya Stark, take me to my family", to a man she has all reasons to believe to be loyal to her brother, is still a much safer route than killing a guard of his and fleeing to the woods without even a loving plan.

Is one thing to not trust Bolton and be wary to reveal her secret. But to go on and become his enemy and a fugitive of her brother's very own army instead of risking revealing herself to people that are supposed to be her allies, bannerman of her family?? That doest makes any sense.

This is one of the thing that makes a lot more sense in the TV show, when she is fleeing from the Lannisters.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 21, 2013

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
Considering what Roose.did with "Arya" she totally made the right decision.

The real reason was that she was terrified, didn't know who she could trust, had seen too much hosed up poo poo, and that Roose is s creepy dude. He unnerves basically everyone he meets. Arya being afraid of him isn't really far fetched.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Blind Melon posted:

Considering what Roose.did with "Arya" she totally made the right decision.

The real reason was that she was terrified, didn't know who she could trust, had seen too much hosed up poo poo, and that Roose is s creepy dude. He unnerves basically everyone he meets. Arya being afraid of him isn't really far fetched.

Arya being afraid of him is not far fetched.

What is far fetched is that she decided to kill a guard from his (a northman) and flee to cross a war zone alone with a not-too-bright teenager and an useless fat kid, knowing that now she would have to avoid not only the enemy (Lannister) army, but also her own brother's army, an army that would now be hunting her for the creepy scary dude, and if they catch her, she is as good as dead since now nobody is going to believe even if she reveals herself.

She took even bigger chances deciding to flee, which is reaaaly far fetched unless she knows Bolton is a traitor, and she as no reason to think that, and instead has every reason to believe he is loyal to the King in the North.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Arya's a dumb kid making dumb kid decisions.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I can't recall if Arya's inner monologue touches on this or not, but what reason would Roose have to believe her claim of being Arya Stark? Even if Roose has seen her before and has a great memory she looks like a street urchin by the time she's in his service.

And yes, Roose is terrifying. Not easy for anyone - especially a kid - to approach someone like that.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Elias_Maluco posted:

I hope this is the right place to ask.

Anyway, I just finished Clash of Kings and liked it a lot, specially Jon and Arya parts are way more interesting then in the TV show
One thing though, that I just cant get over: why on earth Arya wont reveal herself to Bolton??? I watched the show, I know about what Bolton will do, I know he is a traitor and a psycho.

But Arya didnt. For all she knows, Bolton is her brother bannerman, he is a northman, fighting the Lannisters, her enemies. She has no way of knowing that he will eventually be a traitor. As a matter of fact, she as access to his meetings and even letters, and all reasons to believe he is on her brothers side.

I can understand why she grew very suspicious of everyone by that point, and might be a little suspicious of Bolton anyway. But weighting her options, reveling herself "Hey, Im Arya Stark, take me to my family", to a man she has all reasons to believe to be loyal to her brother, is still a much safer route than killing a guard of his and fleeing to the woods without even a loving plan.

Is one thing to not trust Bolton and be wary to reveal her secret. But to go on and become his enemy and a fugitive of her brother's very own army instead of risking revealing herself to people that are supposed to be her allies, bannerman of her family?? That doest makes any sense.

This is one of the thing that makes a lot more sense in the TV show, when she is fleeing from the Lannisters.

Arya, despite her age, is intelligent and hyperaware of her surroundings. While she might not know the reasons politically, she knows the reasons to keep her mouth shut because of who she encounters. Arya knows only to trust those she knows personally.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006

Elias_Maluco posted:

What is far fetched is that she decided to kill a guard from his (a northman) and flee to cross a war zone alone with a not-too-bright teenager and an useless fat kid, knowing that now she would have to avoid not only the enemy (Lannister) army, but also her own brother's army, an army that would now be hunting her for the creepy scary dude, and if they catch her, she is as good as dead since now nobody is going to believe even if she reveals herself.

Right before she leaves she is present when the news about Robb's marriage is brought to Roose with the declaration that Robb has lost the war. Roose is not trustworthy, to the point that its essentially his defining trait, and Arya is a high value hostage. She has seen enough to know that if she does not get the hell out bad things will happen.

She is also soul bound to a feral dire wolf which can help to explain her viciousness. Nymeria helped her escape by killing her pursuers.

As an aside, I got the impression that it was Arya, through Nymeria, raising Stoneheart.

Blind Melon fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 22, 2013

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Ok, I guess it can partlially be understood as stupid decision by a child, giving her low age (I keep picturing her as the seemly 14 years old she is in the show, not the 10 years old child she actually is). And partially by the lack of thrust in Bolton (even though, in that very own scene Blind Melon mentioned, Roose argues in Robbs favor against the Freys, nothing on the way he talks or acts may lead her to think he inst loyal).

Still, the escape is huge risk and a bad plan(it only works because Nymeria pack kills the pursuers), it still a bit weird that she would choose this path instead of the most obvious one (tell the northsmen who she is so they take her to her family, like she had planned when she decided to help then free) unless she was somewhat sure Bolton was evil and unloyal, and she doenst even seems to think so.

They kinda fixed that in the show, where her escape makes perfect sense without we having to assume that she is either too smart (to see who Bolton really is way before he does anything), or too stupid (which maybe she is, considering the way she wasted Jaqen kills)

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 23, 2013

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I wouldn't trust Rooses defense of Rob, and he doesn't disagree when told that Rob needs to bend the knee, he only asks who will be the one to tell Rob that and dismisses the Freys. When she asks him if he is planning on taking her north he casually threatens to cut out her tongue for speaking up. There is no way someone as paranoid as Arya was at that point would trust Roose.

Plus a tree totally told her to do it. To clarify: prays to a heart tree, hears her father whispering from the tree, then hears wolves outside the gates, and then leaves. There's magic afoot.

Blind Melon fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Why do young, scared children make different decisions than I, as a hyper-intelligent and impeccably logical person, do in all aspects of my life at all times? Can anyone clarify?

• Locked thread