Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I just started my first re-read last week, so I'll play along in the discussion as we start talking about chapters. These books really are great when you re-read them. I'm catching a whole lot more stuff that I didn't get the first time around.

EDIT EDIT: Alright, the spoilers are gone now.

Day Man fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 19, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Just got to read about the Eyrie (sp?) again this morning. That castle is so cool. Are there any pictures of it that GRRM had made for any of the fated calendars or anything?

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Zombie Lincoln posted:

Yes, yes, and yes.

There is also a nice picture from within the sky cells, but it's mildly spoilery.

Cool. Thanks! Do you have a link to the picture from within the sky cells so I can see it? I wonder if we'll ever find out how they built the drat thing.

Yeah, I agree with Crisco about the prologue. It hooked me, too. I agree that the story gets much much better after you get into the book, but the unexpectedness of how the prologue plays out interested me.

edit: Is the door without a balcony that they "make people fly" from in the picture? I don't see it.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Tyrion is the best character, right from the start. :colbert:

I agree. I hated Sansa the first read-through, but on this one, I'm not hating her as much. The naivety makes her actions more forgivable than I thought the first time around.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Welcome, new readers!

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Marchegiana posted:

The third book is probably the best and fastest paced of what he's written so far. If you decide to read it, you'll find that a lot of the reason the second book was so slow is because a lot of it is setup for the huge explosion of action in the third book. I think a lot of the vitriol in the other thread is because after the third book things slow down a whole bunch in Feast for Crows, and of course further books will never come out so we'll never get to see the resolution of all the plot hooks the third book ended on.

Yeah, this, pretty much. The third one is definitely the best one, with the most action and evolution of the story. Then the fourth one slows down again.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Has no meaning posted:

Quick question for the experts: I just checked out a copy of book one today; as a casual fan of fantasy novels, exactly how great is the chance that I'll turn into an obsessive fanboy stuck waiting for book five by the time I'm done with the series?

Pretty high, I'd say. I had never read fantasy novels before when I started these, and now I'm completely hooked.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

zacd posted:

So I just finished the tourney in GoT. Who do you feel is the most talented fighter/warrior at this point? Gregor seems pretty loving scary, with all of the stories/rumors of him killing his family and burning the Hound's face. The Knight of Flowers also seems right up there, mainly because he's smart. Selmy didn't participate in the tourney but Ned said he's pretty dope.

I think Gregor is pretty badass, but just uses brutality and natural strength more than fighting ability. The knight of flowers probably has the most ability as a fighter.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Actually, I'm gonna have to say that the best fighter in the land is probably Syrio.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Vanadium posted:

They do not need to prove anything, they just need to convince Robert.

This. Going back through the records and showing that every single Lannister/Baratheon pair has elicited dark haired children, along with the fact that all of Roberts bastards are dark haired, and Robert's hatred of Cersei would be enough. The king is the only court of law that matters, and he would be convinced.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

I posit that Syrio is the best.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Zombie Lincoln posted:

Oh, I suppose so. What sort of person would tease you with a series but leave it incomplete?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Haraksha posted:

I'm really excited because Dance is almost finished and we'll be able to see where his character goes from there.

Edit: I guess this is getting kinda spoilerish so we should stop, but I'm just so pumped for Dance to finally be out later this year.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

not gonna happen

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Half of the characters aren't in AFFC because the book was split in half. That's a big part of why the experienced people are pissed about the newest book taking so long.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Yeah, definitely don't go to the bad thread until you've completely finished everything that has been written in the series. Besides, it has all been switched to praise of GRRM recently, so you don't even get to go complain that the series isn't dead.

• Locked thread