Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Count how many times GRRM uses the phrase "had the grace to blush". There's at least 3 :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Zombie Lincoln posted:

Yes, yes, and yes.

There is also a nice picture from within the sky cells, but it's mildly spoilery.

how is there a water fall at the top of a mountain?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Quakerman posted:

I imagine it's something like this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_Falls

That's on the edge of a plateau, not a mountain

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Roll Fizzlebeef posted:

God this thread makes me want to reread the series but I was trying to hold out for A Dance. Oh well, I should probably just reread them now or end up waiting until 2015. Votes for Tyrion and the Hound as my favorite characters.

haha I remember like 2 years ago I said "hey i will reread the series really slowly and when i'm done dance will be out!"

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
There are people who practice what is obviously magic. Therefore, the series has wizards! QED

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

redreader posted:

I thought we weren't supposed to talk about stuff beyond the first few chapters? why are we having this argument?

We're talking about the setting, and "low magic fantasy", whatever the hell that's supposed to mean, always comes up. So we're discussing it!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
What about the version IN THE DICTIONARY ENTRY FOR WIZARD!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Blind Rasputin posted:

I have just finished A Storm of Swords a week or so ago and I am very hesitant to continue the series. My main gripe is that the majority of the book felt a whole lot like filler. He just continously masturbates over describing feasts or what people look like riding their horses down a street. The multitude of dialogue that in the end turns out to be entirely useless is also...well...useless to the story.
The guy only advances the actual plots once every ten chapters, and there is so much more room for more action and battles and people just simply doing meaningful stuff instead of talking. I just feel like picking up the third book, which is even longer, may turn out to be a huge waste of time. I have to admit, I like the world he's created, it is amazing, and I do genuinly want to find out what happens to everyone. But is there any encouragement out there? Or good words? That can entice me to keep reading this series?

If you didn't like Storm of Swords then you will not enjoy the series. Its the best one.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Dendra posted:

Specific stuff:
Dany 1: The Dany/Viserys relationship

This is one of many things in the series that, in a vacuum, makes you feel ":ohdear: this is horrible, I feel bad for this person."

But when you add the internet, you find people who are jacking off while reading it.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

HedgeHodge posted:

So I just read the first forty pages or so of A Game of Thrones, and I'm enjoying the world and amount of detail GRRM fits into his writing, but as a newcomer to the series all of the namedropping, inter-family friendships/conflicts and other polity is difficult to visualize and organize this early on.

Is there some sort of crash course to ASoIF that's spoiler free that I can read to kind of wade into the water rather than being thrown in? Or will I be able to understand everything later if I just power through and put up with my confusion?

Nah, don't sweat it too much. I had a hard time keeping all the names straight the first time, but it was still awesome. If you like it, you'll read it again and soak alot more info.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Lots of things sparkle or shine without being wet hth.

Manhoods don't. :colbert:

Well, mine doesn't anyway

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Kneel Before Zog posted:

This is driving me nuts! I'm around the part in AGOT where old nan is telling stories to Bran. If Bran has woken up why the hell hasn't he told anyone that Jaime Lannister pushed him off the loving rampart yet!? I'm finding myself speed reading here anxiously awaiting Bran to remember and it's driving me bonkers.

He doesn't remember at the moment

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
A part of the story eventually winds up in the Free Cities. We're supposed to see more of the Free Cities in later books.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Okay just finished AGoT. How good is the next book as compared to the first?

Its better, and the book after is awesome possum. Did you like the first one? If not you probably won't like the rest.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Not gonna lie, A Storm of Swords will have you going :byodood: every single page. Its great.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Zombie Lincoln posted:

Final fix.

Pod and Hodor combine, forming the all powerful Podor

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Khatib posted:

So just use Mongolian or something?

How hard is it to invent a language? Pay a linguistics nerd a few hundred dollars and viola! new language!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Ryouga Inverse posted:

Well, now that you mention it, that does fit, but they didn't harp on the dead one and there was a lot of poo poo that happened in the first 100 pages.

It's obvious now that I know he dies but, for example, I'm only halfway through CoK but Arya and Sansa are still alive, and their wolves are dead. So there's no obvious correlation.

Unless I'm misremembering it. I don't remember it very well - did Ned end up cutting its head off with Ice? Because that's actually a pretty nice touch, if so.

Arya's wolf isn't dead, and the mother direwolf was found dead. It does seem obvious that Ned's days are numbered from foreshadowing (if you pick up on that kind of stuff, I never do the first time around :) ) but the time of death is still unexpected.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Needs more "VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV" and two miles of whitespace!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

DarkCrawler posted:

Now that the discussion has switched towards the Lannisters, I thought this would be a good time to discuss one fact about Tywin. I'm going to spoiler it because there are some SPOILERS ABOUT STORM OF SWORDS

He wants the war to end as soon as possible, and he knows the best way to do it. And he was right.

Well, its the fastest way to end the war with himself still in power :)

• Locked thread