Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
Ramrod Hotshot, I enjoyed Citizen Kane more than you did but I'd say a large part of it's acclaim is down to how impressive it was at the time, both from a technical aspect and in how it tells its story. Anyway, go with Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, I was given it in this thread and I hope you enjoy it too.

Zogo gave me It's A Wonderful Life.

And it is for George Bailey after all! It's a good film and not as Christmassy as I was expecting, unsurprisingly a life affirming classic, it's a very well made, quite enjoyable film which thankfully doesn't feel it's 2hour+ runtime despite how familiar I was with the plot through it being constantly referenced in tv shows and films.

I think this is the first film I've seen with James Stewart in it and I don't know how much of it is him, or the character of George Bailey, but I found him quite grating and the only thing I didn't enjoy in the film. I was surprised that George Bailey comes across as such a jerk in the film, though a jerk that's done a lot of good things. I had went into the film expecting him to be some epitome of goodness but, despite his good deeds, he's extremely resentful that he didn't get to do the things he himself wanted and begrudges everything his whole life, he spents half the film drunk too, which was unexpected. Perhaps it's just me looking at the film in a certain way , or maybe James Stewart's performance just caught me off a little. I'm sure I'll watch it at Christmas when it's on tv like everybody else does now.

List of Shame:

1 - The Host - South Korean monster movie. teenage love triangle featuring a monster based on the novel by Stephenie Meyer? [this reference is now old and even crapper]

2 - Youth of the Beast - A Seijun Suzuki film that I know nothing about, which is possibly the best thing going in to a Seijun Suzuki film.

3 - Achilles and the Tortoise - final film of Kitano's 'surrealist autobiographical trilogy'...[Catching up with Kitano 2/4]

4 - What Richard Did - Only film by the brilliant Lenny Abrahamson that I haven't seen yet. [Irish Film Slot]

5 - Samurai Rebellion - Know nothing about this, but it's directed by Masaki Kobayashi, Director of Harakiri, which I loved.

6 - Bicycle Thieves - I attempted to watch this years back but the DVD had terrible subtitles. A true cinematic milestone I need to unshame.

7 - The Raid - Highly acclaimed recent action film, been meaning to catch this since it's release.

8 - Noah - Getting caught back up with Aronofsky. Heard conflicting reports about this...

9 - The Black Power Mixtape 1967-1975 - Not heard much about this, but a subject I find extremely interesting. [Documentary Slot]

10- The Babadook - new - Heard nothing but good things about this recent horror film. Seems interesting.

Shame No More: [40] [top five] Psycho | The Third Man | The Long Goodbye | Harakiri | The Silence of the Lambs | Pi | Jaws | Panic Room | Black Swan | Star Trek II | The Brothers Bloom | Hugo | Badlands | Shame | LA Confidential | The Right Stuff | The Evil Dead | Hanna | The Master | The Untouchables | Glengarry Glen Ross | The Seventh Seal | The Apartment | The Player | Ronin | The Grand Budapest Hotel | Glory to the Filmmaker! | Frank | Dreams | Paths of Glory | Assault on Precinct 13 | Haywire | Escape From New York | 13 Assassins | A Prophet | Stand By Me | Blackfish | Pumping Iron | The Thin Blue Line | It's A Wonderful Life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Chewy Bitems, random.org tells me you should go with What Richard Did.

While by no means as iconic as the original film, Back to the Future Part 2 is a fun and, at times, surprisingly dark followup regardless. Going in, I had been under the impression that the key setting of the film was the future Hill Valley, so I was surprised to see the second and third acts eschew that in favour of a distopian alternate timeline and a differing perspective on the first film's setting respectively. The latter act in particular does a good job of using the events of the first film without feeling like a retread or creating a slew of logistical issues. The character dynamic between Doc Brown and Marty is also played up a bit more here, which I appreciate. If there's one complaint I have, it's that the plot threads revolving around future Marty's family woes seems to exist mostly to get the ball rolling to Biff's storyline rather than having much of a payoff of their own, and as a result are pretty abruptly dropped once they've served their purpose. Aside from that though, I just found it to be an all-around solid sequel that successfully builds upon and remains faithful to the memorable setting and characters to the original.

My List:

1. Good Morning Vietnam - Continuing my Robin Williams film spree with one of the films that really put him on the map.

2. Full Metal Jacket - More Kubrick. I know some of iconic scenes of the first half at boot camp and basically nothing else.

3. Princess Mononoke - More Miyazaki, and from what I understand one of his more mature films. One of my friends added this to her top favourite movies after watching it a while back, but I don't actually know a whole lot about it myself.

4. Zodiac - More Fincher, and one of his best from what I understand.

5. The Godfather Part II - Commonly see this regarded as possibly the best film sequel of all time, which is definitely a feat considering the pedigree of the original.

6. A Hard Day's Night - I love The Beatles but have only seen Yellow Submarine as far as their films are concerned. This one in particular seems especially well regarded.

7. Requiem for a Dream - A fun-filled romp for the whole family!

8. Plan 9 From Outer Space - The B-movie to define all B-movies?

9. Star Wars Episode I - The Phantom Menace: Considering Episode VII is coming out and I already watched and enjoyed the original trilogy for this thread, I figure I should probably acquaint myself with the flipside as well. I know some of the more specific complaints (Jar Jar, midichlorians, child acting), but very little of the story proper.

10. Whiplash - One of my best friends considers this his favourite film of 2014, and J.K. Simmons generally hasn't steered me wrong in the past.

Deshamed (42): Monty Python's Life of Brian, My Neighbor Totoro, Alien, Back to the Future, Star Wars: A New Hope, Aliens, Hot Fuzz, Ghostbusters, The Fisher King, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, Good Will Hunting, Wayne's World, One Hour Photo, This is the End, Inglourious Basterds, Star Wars: Return of the Jedi, John Carpenter's The Thing, The Social Network, The Blair Witch Project, The Silence of the Lambs, Se7en, Fantasia, Kill Bill, The Iron Giant, Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, The Avengers, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Zombieland, Grave of the Fireflies, Kiki's Delivery Service, The Shawshank Redemption, Fight Club, 21 Jump Street, The Godfather, Jackie Brown, Citizen Kane, Pink Floyd - The Wall, Birdman, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, Back to the Future: Part II

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Trash Boat posted:

3. Princess Mononoke - More Miyazaki, and from what I understand one of his more mature films. One of my friends added this to her top favourite movies after watching it a while back, but I don't actually know a whole lot about it myself.

4. Zodiac - More Fincher, and one of his best from what I understand.

9. Star Wars Episode I - The Phantom Menace: Considering Episode VII is coming out and I already watched and enjoyed the original trilogy for this thread, I figure I should probably acquaint myself with the flipside as well. I know some of the more specific complaints (Jar Jar, midichlorians, child acting), but very little of the story proper.

Man, it was tough to choose between these three. But I think timing-wise, you should probably watch the prequels with enough time to spare before Episode VII comes out. Enjoy The Phantom Menace!

The Innocents
Safe to say this would be an ideal pairing to match alongside The Sound of Music. The governess in this case, played by Deborah Kerr, only has two children to deal with - but this castle of a house brings more character and dilemma itself that certainly evens out the field. It's beautifully shot and the sounds hitting you from all sides is a real treat. More often than not, I told myself I should to upgrade my old DVD to the new Criterion blu-ray. The two child actors went way above my expectations, which was crucial as much of the film is spent with Flora and Miles. If they were obnoxious or just wooden and inexperienced, there'd be a constant risk of being taken out of the moment. Thankfully, everything just works here. This is good old fashioned haunted house horror, without any cheap CGI to worry about. Seek this out.

LIST

Ali: Fear Eats the Soul (2014.06.29) **OLDEST** - This has had enough praise and appeared on enough lists that I feel I need to see it. I know nothing about it.

Only Angels Have Wings (2015.03.31) - highly respected film directed by Howard Hawks - a versatile yet overlooked director who I've barely scratched the surface of...

The Right Stuff (2015.04.28) - a 3hr film I've always heard great things about that I'll never get around to.. unless I'm forced in this thread!

Sabrina (2015.05.04) **NEW** - minor Wilder, or so I'm told, but it's a Wilder film I need to check off the list. Plus, I've never watched Audrey Hepburn on screen. Also.. Bogie.

Still Life (2015.03.08) - director Jia Zhangke has been a blind spot for so long now, and luckily I found this back when Blockbusters were still around. It's long overdue.

Syndromes and a Century (2015.03.08) - another director who is a blindspot, and I believe it was FitFortDanga who had praised this film long ago & stuck with me.

Tape (2014.10.13) - I shall continue my quest to finish the Linklater filmography.

That Obscure Object of Desire (2015.04.07) - this seems way too interesting and way too important to have not seen by now.

True Romance (2015.04.14) - I've been scoffed at too many times for not having watched this yet. It's about time.

The Wind Will Carry Us (2014.09.23) - more Kiarostami, please!

De-shamed: Aliens (4.5/5), The Bridge on the River Kwai (5/5), La Dolce Vita (4/5), The Hustler (5/5), Blue Velvet (4.5/5), Close-Up (4.5/5), The Lady Vanishes (4.5/5), Grave of the Fireflies (5/5), Close Encounters of the Third Kind (3.5/5), Oldboy (4.5/5), Gattaca (3.5/5), Children of Men (5/5), The Great Dictator (4.5/5), Diabolique (4.5/5), Aguirre, the Wrath of God (3.5/5), Rashomon (4.5/5), Singin' in the Rain (5/5), Le Samourai (5/5), Hiroshima, Mon Amour (5/5), Battleship Potemkin (4/5), Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (3.5/5), Network (5/5), Once Upon A Time In The West (5/5), Sleeper (2.5/5), Y Tu Mama Tambien (4.5/5), Lawrence of Arabia (3.5/5), Amadeus (4/5), E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (4.5/5), The Postman Always Rings Twice (3.5/5), Ben-Hur (4.5/5), Bug (4/5), All The President's Men (4.5/5), Through a Glass Darkly (4/5), The Leopard (2/5), The Aviator (4.5/5), Duck Soup (4/5), The Good The Bad & The Ugly (5/5), Werckmeister Harmonies (4/5), Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf (4.5/5), To Kill A Mockingbird (2.5/5), Brazil (2.5/5), M (5/5), The Sweet Hereafter (4/5), Princess Mononoke (5/5), High and Low (5/5), The Sting (5/5), The King of Comedy (4.5/5), Stand By Me (4.5/5), The Wages of Fear (4/5), Amores Perros (3.5/5), The Music Room (4/5), The Spirit of the Beehive (4/5), Cape Fear (3.5/5), The Passion of Joan of Arc (4/5), The Magnificent Ambersons (3/5), Tokyo Story (5/5), Quiz Show (3/5), Witness For The Prosecution (4/5), The Last Picture Show (4.5/5), Robocop (2.5/5), Grand Illusion (2.5/5), Ikiru (5/5), The Bride of Frankenstein (4/5), The Taste of Cherry (4/5), Eastern Promises (3.5/5), What Ever Happened To Baby Jane? (4/5), Le Doulos (4.5/5), Million Dollar Baby (3/5), Akira (5/5), Lone Star (3/5), Barry Lyndon (2.5/5), Dr. Strangelove (5/5), Leon the Professional (3/5), Arsenic and Old Lace (4/5), The Searchers (2/5), Playtime (4/5), Star Wars: Episode III (3.5/5), The Player (3.5/5), A Few Good Men (3.5/5), Murder on the Orient Express (3/5), The Deer Hunter (4.5/5), Amour (4.5/5), School of Rock (3.5/5), Holiday (5/5), Harakiri (4.5/5), Band of Outsiders (4/5), Charulata (4/5), The Life & Death of Colonel Blimp (2/5), Killer of Sheep (3.5/5), Ace in the Hole (5/5), Millennium Actress (5/5), Eraserhead (2/5), Jack Goes Boating (3.5/5), The Innocents (4.5/5), [Total:95]

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

friendo55 I have seen none of the films on your list and have no strong feelings about any of them. But Linklater is kind of interesting, so Tape I guess?

Chewy Bitems assigned me Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. I've seen some of the later, mediocre films featuring the original crew of the Enterprise, and I've never seen the TOS, so it was good to finally see the original crew at top form. Kirk, Spock, and Bones were by far the best part of this movie. Everything else was pretty average. Khan was interesting aesthetically (I look a little like him so he might be my next Halloween costume!) but otherwise he was just a dumb bully bent on revenge. Superior intellect? How? I almost feel like I needed to see the original TV episode to fully understand his character. It's briefly mentioned he was a leader on Earth in the distant past but this is glossed over. Some more exposition on Khan would've been interesting.

Finally watching this movie makes the newest Star Trek movie even more baffling. They reused the same villain, but took away the only interesting thing about him (his look).

An average sci fi flick but for the three best characters. Good writing too. I'd still rather watch an episode of TNG, though. 3.5/5 (on a 0 to 4 scale, this was a 2.75...so to avoid too much uhh... granularity I'm going to use a new scale!)

New List of Shame:

1. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly (or any of the Dollars trilogy for that matter): I've just never been that interested in Westerns.

2. The Act of Killing: I remember being fascinated by the premise of this doc two years ago, but then I forgot to actually watch it.

3. The Adventures of Baron Munchausen: I've seen the very beginning and very end, but still need to see the middle 90% of this Gilliam classic.

4. Paths of Glory: Haven't seen any pre-Spartacus Kubrick.

5. Ran: This was recommended to me as Japanese Game of Thrones. Hell yeah.

6. La Estrategia del Caracol (The Strategy of the Snail): Colombia's most famous film that isn't about drugs or violence. I need to learn Colombian Spanish, so make me see it.

7. Das Boot: A missing classic that's been on my "to watch" list for some time.

8. El Topo: I'm not sure I like Alejandro Jodorowsky, but I'm definitely fascinated by him.

9. Fitzcarraldo: Aguirre, the Wrath of God, is awesome. Herzog and Kinski back on wild adventures in the Amazon? Let's go!

10. The Fog of War: I'm not sure why this is supposed to be such a great doc since I'm pretty sure it's just one old dude being interviewed for two hours, but I guess I should find out.

Unshamed: Evil Dead 1.5/4, Evil Dead 2 2.5/4, Hoop Dreams 3.5/4, The Prestige 3.5/4, Citizen Kane 3/4, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan 3.5/5

Ramrod Hotshot fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 5, 2015

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
Ramrod Hotshot, I'm picking for you again, and I'll pick another that this thread gave me, go with Paths of Glory.
(Just as a quick note, I don't watch Game of Thrones, but I'm not sure GOT is a quite the reference point for Ran? Ran is very good though and maybe I'm picking up the wrong elements on the similarities, just wanted to mention it rather than have a good film you eventually watch be affected by potentially going in expecting something different...)

Trash Boat (with a litte help from random.org) gave me What Richard Did.

The third film from Director Lenny Abrahamson, What Richard Did is about a teenager named Richard and what ultimately what defines him. He's the popular captain of his rugby team, good looking, from a well off close family, and an all around good guy. The film calmly observes as Richard hangs out with friends and family in various settings and meets and starts dating a girl. His own doubts that follow this inclusion into his apparently perfect life lead to a confrontations, and an unintentionally fatal altercation, that shatters this seeming perfection. The film is balanced beautifully, it's is under 90 minutes but is calm and considerate, with moments of stillness and reflection throughout, the film very much lets the viewer consider and think through the events, the dialogue, the characters' behaviour.

While the main character of Richard is set up as a very specific type (being resident in Dublin, it's a well known and real type too) of the D4 rugby playing posho but he's never a cliché and is quickly shown to be a decent person. Jack Reynor, who plays Richard, comes across as geniune and honest, with comparatively little dialogue in the film, and him being in every scene, his performance is engaging and telling. I can imagine that some people could be really left cold by the film, as it's clearly a character study and as such spends a large portion of the film showing the main character in his regular life, with the film's title being a constant statement and question in the viewer's mind (going in I was only vaguely aware of the pivotal moment that shapes the remainder of the film) as you're left to examine Richard as a person as the film shows the various facets of him and how he reacts and develops following his own actions.

The ending is apparently open ended, which I can, again, imagine would leave some people rather cold, with the preceding scene having him discussing handing himself in to the cops and the last scene showing him seemingly reverting to his old life but the film clearly points to how the event has effected Richard. The film opens with Richard with his close friends and one scene has him (apparently, the conversation is joined mid stream) describing his ideal future - successful and surrounded by his family and friends - and the film ends with Richard alone, leaving his friends, subtlely breaking a previously stated moral/chivalrous code, basically cast aside by his devestated loving father, and it closes with him alone, again reflecting. Whatever about Richard's background and life up to that point, it's that one brief event that has defined his life and who he is.

It's a really great film and I finished watching it only about a hour ago so it's perhaps too fresh, it's a film that I'm certain I'll continue to think better of the more time it spends in my mind. In the context of Lenny Abrahamson's films (and I dislike and extemely avoid comparing films when reviewing them), it's shares more similarities to his first two films, the very good Adam & Paul and the excellent Garage, than it does with his subsequent film, Frank, but all four films are great films and share a thoughtfulness and calmness and respect and care for it's characters and indeed viewer. While none of Abrahamson's films are particularly outlandish or overly artistic in a way that disconnects the viewer, Frank is certainly his most conventional film to date, largerly down to the presence of a Narrator, the presence of which would massively, utterly, change all three of his preceeding films. [/end huge meandering review (which doesn't even really tell you an awful lot about the events in the film either...)]

List-o of Shame-o:

1 - The Host - South Korean monster movie. teenage love triangle featuring a monster based on the novel by Stephenie Meyer? [this reference is now old and even crapper]

2 - Youth of the Beast - A Seijun Suzuki film that I know nothing about, which is possibly the best thing going in to a Seijun Suzuki film.

3 - Achilles and the Tortoise - final film of Kitano's 'surrealist autobiographical trilogy'...[Catching up with Kitano 2/4]

4 - Samurai Rebellion - Know nothing about this, but it's directed by Masaki Kobayashi, Director of Harakiri, which I loved.

5 - Bicycle Thieves - I attempted to watch this years back but the DVD had terrible subtitles. A true cinematic milestone I need to unshame.

6 - The Raid - Highly acclaimed recent action film, been meaning to catch this since it's release.

7 - Noah - Getting caught back up with Aronofsky. Heard conflicting reports about this...

8 - The Black Power Mixtape 1967-1975 - Not heard much about this, but a subject I find extremely interesting. [Documentary Slot]

9 - The Babadook - Heard nothing but good things about this recent horror film. Seems interesting.

10 - Calvary - new - Continuing with my Irish film slot so I see more films of my native land, John Michael McDonagh's follow up the the excellent The Guard, must see this. [Irish Film Slot]

Shame No More: [41] [top five] Psycho | The Third Man | The Long Goodbye | Harakiri | The Silence of the Lambs | Pi | Jaws | Panic Room | Black Swan | Star Trek II | The Brothers Bloom | Hugo | Badlands | Shame | LA Confidential | The Right Stuff | The Evil Dead | Hanna | The Master | The Untouchables | Glengarry Glen Ross | The Seventh Seal | The Apartment | The Player | Ronin | The Grand Budapest Hotel | Glory to the Filmmaker! | Frank | Dreams | Paths of Glory | Assault on Precinct 13 | Haywire | Escape From New York | 13 Assassins | A Prophet | Stand By Me | Blackfish | Pumping Iron | The Thin Blue Line | It's A Wonderful Life | What Richard Did

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Chewy Bitems posted:

5 - Bicycle Thieves - I attempted to watch this years back but the DVD had terrible subtitles. A true cinematic milestone I need to unshame.

Try this next.

A Hard Day's Night - The plot is kind of silly and loose so I didn't get into it that much. I wanted even more songs and less idle chatter. I was reminded of The Monkees TV series I watched when I was really young.

Many people strive their whole life for fame and never reach it. Watching this you get a taste of what having a cultish following feels like and what it entails.

The Beatles musical talent is on display and it's a reminder of how basic and simple so many of their songs were while still resonating in some magical way. The group is so prevalent they kind of feel like their own institution and writing a blurb about the movie feels kind of redundant.

PS I thought Ringo had some individual good scenes but the other three didn't stick out as much.

Also watched:

Jade - This felt like it was cut from the same cloth as some of the bigger 90s films: Basic Instinct, Se7en, The Silence of the Lambs.

However, it veers more into the realm of political sex scandals (another common theme of 90s films). It's harder to classify because of its unfortunate imbalance in how it covers its characters. Also, it's unfocused and feels like two or three TV crime shows tacked onto each other.

The last serious weakness was the rapid fire explosion of twists near the end. I'm sure a lot of viewers were left scratching their heads. It can be a tough line to balance. Reveal too much info and the film is predictable. Reveal all the info at the end in a giant flurry and it becomes a detraction.

So even though the film surprised me in that Matt was the killer rather than Trina the last ten minutes felt like a case study in ham-handedness.

Anyone that likes car chases should appreciate this particularly reckless one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Cp_-nl5jEs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8yY16GX9t0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWI8ugmXnwM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XClRjF_xBj8

Procrastination (175 completed):

#156 Land Tax AKA Lagaan: Once Upon a Time in India - The Wrath of (Aamir) Khan continues on the IMDb top 250. 10/13/14

#170 The Bandit - Another newcomer to the IMDb top 250. 1/16/15

#177 Oklahoma! - Put the gun to my head. 4/14/15

#178 A Wednesday - The quest to complete the IMDb 250 never ends. 4/14/15

new #180 Red River - On a lot of lists. 5/5/15

new #181 The Dead Zone - Sounds interesting but I keep putting it off. 5/5/15

James Bond versus Godzilla:

Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Picture (7/37 completed)

2011 Jack and Jill - Adam Sandler and Al Pacino = star power. 2/25/15

2008 The Love Guru - Mike Myers converts to Hinduism. 3/13/15

2007 I Know Who Killed Me - I've never seen a Lindsay Lohan movie. 3/13/15

2006 Basic Instinct 2 - I saw the first one many years ago. 3/20/15

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
zogo have you seen the last seduction? its a much better movie also starring linda fiorentino. i just love it so much i have to pimp the movie every chance i get.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Slaapaav posted:

zogo have you seen the last seduction? its a much better movie also starring linda fiorentino. i just love it so much i have to pimp the movie every chance i get.

No, I haven't but I'll add it to my burgeoning movies-to-watch list.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
The saga of Linda Fiorentino

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
its just such a great movie that came out the year before jade and nobody i talk to about it has ever seen it. its one of the most underated movies of all time imho, mostly because people dont know about it.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Slaapaav posted:

its just such a great movie that came out the year before jade and nobody i talk to about it has ever seen it. its one of the most underated movies of all time imho, mostly because people dont know about it.

I'll echo the love for The Last Seduction. It reminds me a lot of another underseen & underrated 90s movie, State of Grace, which had trouble getting released on home video after Orion went bankrupt. It was also forgotten thanks to another little gangster movie from 1990, Goodfellas.

Zogo posted:

new #180 Red River - On a lot of lists. 5/5/15

I haven't watched a single movie from your list, so I chose the one I recognized most as shameful.... (I do like the idea of completing the worst films, though) ... enjoy Red River!

Tape
A small, and I mean very small little indie film from Richard Linklater - based off a one-act play that Ethan Hawke brought to the director in 2000. It almost hit a little too close to home as I've got a friend just like Ethan Hakwe's Vince, who hasn't changed much since high school, does plenty of hard drugs, and is absolutely unpredictable in doing just about anything to get a reaction out of you. It was also a fun meta story of two friends reuniting after being close friends through school, as Hawke & Robert Sean Leonard (Jon) hadn't acted together since 1993's Dead Poets Society. Uma Thurman is also good here as the old love interest Amy. Hawke is playing something a bit different than usual, which is always fun, and the three actors play off each other well. Being set solely in a tiny Lansing, Michigan hotel room, every bit of acting had to be so spot on. It reminded me a lot of Glengarry Glen Ross or Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf in that regard.

LIST

Ali: Fear Eats the Soul (2014.06.29) **OLDEST** - This has had enough praise and appeared on enough lists that I feel I need to see it. I know nothing about it.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2015.05.07) **NEW** - a blind-purchase that I'll keep putting off otherwise; Fincher's film only seems to get more of a backlash as time moves on.

Only Angels Have Wings (2015.03.31) - highly respected film directed by Howard Hawks - a versatile yet overlooked director who I've barely scratched the surface of...

The Right Stuff (2015.04.28) - a 3hr film I've always heard great things about that I'll never get around to.. unless I'm forced in this thread!

Sabrina (2015.05.04) - minor Wilder, or so I'm told, but it's a Wilder film I need to check off the list. Plus, I've never watched Audrey Hepburn on screen. Also.. Bogie.

Still Life (2015.03.08) - director Jia Zhangke has been a blind spot for so long now, and luckily I found this back when Blockbusters were still around. It's long overdue.

Syndromes and a Century (2015.03.08) - another director who is a blindspot, and I believe it was FitFortDanga who had praised this film long ago & stuck with me.

That Obscure Object of Desire (2015.04.07) - this seems way too interesting and way too important to have not seen by now.

True Romance (2015.04.14) - I've been scoffed at too many times for not having watched this yet. It's about time.

The Wind Will Carry Us (2014.09.23) - more Kiarostami, please!

De-shamed: Aliens (4.5/5), The Bridge on the River Kwai (5/5), La Dolce Vita (4/5), The Hustler (5/5), Blue Velvet (4.5/5), Close-Up (4.5/5), The Lady Vanishes (4.5/5), Grave of the Fireflies (5/5), Close Encounters of the Third Kind (3.5/5), Oldboy (4.5/5), Gattaca (3.5/5), Children of Men (5/5), The Great Dictator (4.5/5), Diabolique (4.5/5), Aguirre, the Wrath of God (3.5/5), Rashomon (4.5/5), Singin' in the Rain (5/5), Le Samourai (5/5), Hiroshima, Mon Amour (5/5), Battleship Potemkin (4/5), Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (3.5/5), Network (5/5), Once Upon A Time In The West (5/5), Sleeper (2.5/5), Y Tu Mama Tambien (4.5/5), Lawrence of Arabia (3.5/5), Amadeus (4/5), E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (4.5/5), The Postman Always Rings Twice (3.5/5), Ben-Hur (4.5/5), Bug (4/5), All The President's Men (4.5/5), Through a Glass Darkly (4/5), The Leopard (2/5), The Aviator (4.5/5), Duck Soup (4/5), The Good The Bad & The Ugly (5/5), Werckmeister Harmonies (4/5), Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf (4.5/5), To Kill A Mockingbird (2.5/5), Brazil (2.5/5), M (5/5), The Sweet Hereafter (4/5), Princess Mononoke (5/5), High and Low (5/5), The Sting (5/5), The King of Comedy (4.5/5), Stand By Me (4.5/5), The Wages of Fear (4/5), Amores Perros (3.5/5), The Music Room (4/5), The Spirit of the Beehive (4/5), Cape Fear (3.5/5), The Passion of Joan of Arc (4/5), The Magnificent Ambersons (3/5), Tokyo Story (5/5), Quiz Show (3/5), Witness For The Prosecution (4/5), The Last Picture Show (4.5/5), Robocop (2.5/5), Grand Illusion (2.5/5), Ikiru (5/5), The Bride of Frankenstein (4/5), The Taste of Cherry (4/5), Eastern Promises (3.5/5), What Ever Happened To Baby Jane? (4/5), Le Doulos (4.5/5), Million Dollar Baby (3/5), Akira (5/5), Lone Star (3/5), Barry Lyndon (2.5/5), Dr. Strangelove (5/5), Leon the Professional (3/5), Arsenic and Old Lace (4/5), The Searchers (2/5), Playtime (4/5), Star Wars: Episode III (3.5/5), The Player (3.5/5), A Few Good Men (3.5/5), Murder on the Orient Express (3/5), The Deer Hunter (4.5/5), Amour (4.5/5), School of Rock (3.5/5), Holiday (5/5), Harakiri (4.5/5), Band of Outsiders (4/5), Charulata (4/5), The Life & Death of Colonel Blimp (2/5), Killer of Sheep (3.5/5), Ace in the Hole (5/5), Millennium Actress (5/5), Eraserhead (2/5), Jack Goes Boating (3.5/5), The Innocents (4.5/5), Tape (3.5/5), [Total:96]

friendo55 fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 9, 2015

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

friendo55, guess I'm picking for you again. Go ahead and clear out Ali: Fear Eats the Soul from your queue.

Chewy Bitems assigned me Paths of Glory. Great movie, probably my favorite pre-1960 movie I've ever seen, although that's saying very little. I love Kubrick's straightforward but engaging writing and directing style, and he shows it here in his early career too. Given the minimal budget of this movie and the time it was made, I thought the scenes from the front were exceptionally well done. It made me wish there were more great films set during World War I. All the characters were engaging, from the villianous generals to Kirk Douglas's Colonel Dax. According to wikipedia, the film was an influence on The Wire, in that it shows how real people can be victims of bureaucratic institutions. I'm sure the film was groundbreaking that sense.

The only thing that was slightly off-putting was the fact that all of the actors were Americans playing Frenchmen, which just seemed unnatural anytime a reference to France was made. This reminded me a little of the mediocre Tom Cruise film Valkyrie. But eventually I just got used to it. And since this was an American production after all, I'm not sure what would've worked better, either.

4.5/5

New List of Shame:

1. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly (or any of the Dollars trilogy for that matter): I've just never been that interested in Westerns.

2. The Act of Killing: I remember being fascinated by the premise of this doc two years ago, but then I forgot to actually watch it.

3. The Adventures of Baron Munchausen: I've seen the very beginning and very end, but still need to see the middle 90% of this Gilliam classic.

4. Highlander: It's a Scottish-themed fantasy film naturally starring Sean Connery....as a Spaniard? I'm confused, but intrigued.

6. La Estrategia del Caracol (The Strategy of the Snail): Colombia's most famous film that isn't about drugs or violence. I need to learn Colombian Spanish, so make me see it.

8. El Topo: I'm not sure I like Alejandro Jodorowsky, but I'm definitely fascinated by him.

9. Fitzcarraldo: Aguirre, the Wrath of God, is awesome. Herzog and Kinski back on wild adventures in the Amazon? Let's go!

10. The Fog of War: I'm not sure why this is supposed to be such a great doc since I'm pretty sure it's just one old dude being interviewed for two hours, but I guess I should find out.

Unshamed: Evil Dead 1.5/4, Evil Dead 2 2.5/4, Hoop Dreams 3.5/4, The Prestige 3.5/4, Citizen Kane 3/4, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan 3.5/5, Paths of Glory 4.5/5

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
If you're not interested in Westerns can I be controversial and pick Once Upon A Time in the West for you to watch? It's my favourite of his films and the least conventional western. If that's too much of a liberty make it Munchausen.

I finally got around to watching Act of Killing a week ago and found it to be everything it was promised to be: brutal, dark and fascinatingly light-hearted. I'm currently reading Blink, the Malcolm Gladwell book about initial reactions and he talks a lot about experiments where people's words are filtered out and they are judged on the tone of their voice. Doing that to this movie - or turning off the subtitles - would make you think it was a quirky documentary about some guys who grew up loving gangster movies getting together to swede their own all these years later. They are so calm and confident in the way that they discuss the genocide they were responsible for, the façade doesn't just cover their crimes it compensates it into a matter of personal, everyday pride. It's fascinating how easy it is to forget for a few seconds what they are talking about and get swept up in the simple joy of their discussions.

When the wall comes down at the end it is all the more cathartic for the camouflage that came prior. Can't wait to see the next one.

Bastards - I am severely lacking in Claire Denis experience and need to rectify this.

Sin Nombre - After loving his work on True Detective, Jane Eyre and looking forward to Beast I figure I owe Fukanaga this flashback.

Enter the Void - Gasper Noe, as in, no, please don't choose this one.

Klute - I think I watched every other movie mentioned in Easy Riders, Raging Bulls but this one eluded me. Maybe because I've always confused it with Zelig, though I don't know why.

The Lovers on the Bridge - So far Carax is batting 10/10 for me, but he has a lot of movies left for me to see.

The Newton Boys - Linklater directing that cast, how is this not a classic? It must be really bad not to have any defenders around.

Images - I guess I better watch Altman's other weird movie now.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I know Friedpundit watched Newton Boys recently and seemed to enjoy it.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Viginti, the only film on your list I've seen is Klute, which I don't remember that well but give it a go.

Play Time is like a horror movie where the monster is architecture. Surprisingly stressful for a comedy. It's got such an unique style of filmmaking, and I was reading how Tati really felt the star was the set. It really is true and I can't think of any film like it I've seen where the scenery so consistently outshines the cast (not that the cast isn't fantastic, god imagine the amount of blocking that had to be done to get this film made). Terry Jones did a DVD introduction for it and you can tell it had a big influence on Terry Gilliam as well.

My List:

Damnation (1988) - I've never seen a Béla Tarr film. I know Werckmeister Harmonies is the favorite, but something about this one is calling me. (Added 12/21/2013)

Fort Apache (1948) - The first in John Ford's Cavalry trilogy. (Added 1/2/2014)

A Streetcar Named Desire (1951) - The only Elia Kazan movie I've seen is On the Waterfront, which I watched for this thread. And the only Tennessee Williams I've seen is Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. So I owe both of them a deeper look. (Added 8/4/2014)

Napoleon (1927) - An old silent on Napoleon? How long could it possibly be? Oh... OH! Oh no. (Added 10/8/2014)
TSPDT Top 1000
The Mirror (1975) - Another Tarkovsky. I don't know if I can handle one again so soon, although this is a much more manageable length. (Added 2/3/2015)
Academy Award for Best Picture
The Hurt Locker (2009) - I think Zero Dark Thirty might be one of the greatest films of the 21st century thus far, so I feel like I'll enjoy Bigelow's other Iraq movie. (Added 2/15/2015)
Jonathan Rosenbaum's Essential Films
The Avenging Conscience (1914) - Griffith's last film before The Birth of a Nation. (Added 2/15/2015)
TSPDT 21st Century
Yi Yi (2000) - This consistently ranks high on lists but nobody ever seems to talk about it and I have no idea what it's about. (Added 2/24/2015)
My Criticker Remembered Films
An Angel At My Table (1990) - I loved The Piano when I saw it for a film class but haven't watched any other Campion films since. (Added 3/19/2015)
Procrastination
Heart of Glass (1976) - The last film from my Werner Herzog DVD sets I've yet to watch. Which is odd because it sounds great with that hypnosis element. (Added 5/10/2015)

Watched: Harold and Maude; The Third Man; Inland Empire; Godzilla; Big Trouble In Little China; Y Tu Mamá También; Marathon Man; Hunger; A Woman Is A Woman; Black Narcissus; A Hard Day's Night; Scarface; Le Doulos; On The Waterfront; Rocky; 3 Women; Airplane!; Duck Soup; Clash of the Titans; Singin' In The Rain; The Cow; Straw Dogs; Stop Making Sense; Bad Timing; Once Upon A Time In America; Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade; Robocop; Shane; WALL·E; The 36th Chamber Of Shaolin; The Man Who Fell To Earth; Mr. Smith Goes To Washington; Divorce Italian Style; Some Like It Hot; To Kill A Mockingbird; An American Werewolf In London; Buffalo '66; Lawrence Of Arabia; Manhattan; Cul-De-Sac; The Birth of a Nation; Braveheart; Sex, Lies, and Videotape; Malcolm X; Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai; The Passion of Joan of Arc; The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King; Le Samouraï; The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance; Marat/Sade; His Girl Friday; A Woman Under the Influence; Close Encounters of the Third Kind; Rio Bravo; Triumph of the Will; Titanic; Strike; The General; Jules et Jim; Tokyo Story; Once Upon A Time In Anatolia; L'Âge d'Or; Stroszek; Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky; Faust; Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom; Frankenstein; Rebel Without a Cause; Gone with the Wind; Barry Lyndon; The Grapes of Wrath; Midnight Cowboy; My Darling Clementine; Hoop Dreams; Close-Up; Begotten; The Goddess; The Apartment; Hell's Angels; All About Eve; Night and Fog; Grey Gardens; Zardoz; King Boxer - Five Fingers of Death; The Lady Eve; Akira; The Beaver Trilogy; Day of Wrath; Andrei Rublev; Showgirls; Chelsea Girls; Band of Outsiders; In the Mood for Love; Black Jesus; Play Time (TOTAL: 95)

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

TrixRabbi, go with Heart of Glass. I haven't seen it, but I'm curious as a Herzog fan.

Viginti assigned me Once Upon a Time in the West. Well, now I've seen the movie that Quentin Tarantino has been trying to make his entire career. Much about this movie reminded me of Tarantino, especially the cold violence, use of music, and use of ambient noise to increase tension. But the final showdown especially was basically shot-for-shot rema--uh, I mean, "paid homage to"- in Kill Bill. All of the characters were extremely well acted and written. Also notable is this is the first movie I've ever seen featuring Charles Bronson. Wow, what a cool motherfucker. For some reason I thought he was a dumb musclebound action star, basically 60's Schwarzenegger, but not the case at all. He perfectly played the grinning rouge that knows he's always a step or two ahead of his opponent, and he did it with an extremely sparing use of dialogue.

The long shots worked great in the dusty desertscape, but some of them were a bit too long for me. The almost three hour runtime probably could've been trimmed a tad.

4.5/5

New List of Shame (actually the same as last time since I was picked for off-list):

1. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly: I've just never been that interested in Westerns.

4. Highlander: It's a Scottish-themed fantasy film naturally starring Sean Connery....as a Spaniard? I'm confused, but intrigued.

Unshamed: Evil Dead 1.5/4, Evil Dead 2 2.5/4, Hoop Dreams 3.5/4, The Prestige 3.5/4, Citizen Kane 3/4, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan 3.5/5, Paths of Glory 4.5/5, Once Upon a Time in the West 4.5/5

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
Ramrod Hotshot, me picking for you again... go with Highlander. Looking forward to seeing what you think of this.

Zogo's selection for me was The Bicycle Thieves.

Which was great. And honestly, surprisingly touching and affecting. I knew of the film's acclaim and yet was not expecting such an emotional film, though that's totally down to me. The film is quick and straightforward, the story of a man who's livelihood is likely doomed when his bicycle is stolen, the film brilliantly shows the joy and despair of the main character upon getting a job and almost instantly has it taken from him. The film is really rather beautiful and devastating in a very real way. Understandably an absolute classic, whenever I go to watch an old highly regarded film there's always a certain amount of trepidation that it's reputation is based on something such as it being groundbreaking decades ago which is obviously largely lost on a modern day fresh viewing but The Bicycle Theives' rightful status is based on emotion and a genuine, human story that still is, and always will be, relevant and important.

List of Shame (oldest-newest)

4 - Samurai Rebellion - Know nothing about this, but it's directed by Masaki Kobayashi, Director of Harakiri, which I loved.

5 - The Raid - Highly acclaimed recent action film, been meaning to catch this since it's release.

6 - Noah - Getting caught back up with Aronofsky. Heard conflicting reports about this...

7 - The Black Power Mixtape 1967-1975 - Not heard much about this, but a subject I find extremely interesting. [Documentary Slot]

8 - The Babadook - Heard nothing but good things about this recent horror film. Seems interesting.

9 - Calvary - Writer/Director John Michael McDonagh's follow up the the excellent The Guard, must see this. [Irish Film Slot]

10- Once Upon A Time In The West - new - Just heard this was real good recently...

Shame No More: [42] [top five] Psycho | The Third Man | The Long Goodbye | Harakiri | The Silence of the Lambs | Pi | Jaws | Panic Room | Black Swan | Star Trek II | The Brothers Bloom | Hugo | Badlands | Shame | LA Confidential | The Right Stuff | The Evil Dead | Hanna | The Master | The Untouchables | Glengarry Glen Ross | The Seventh Seal | The Apartment | The Player | Ronin | The Grand Budapest Hotel | Glory to the Filmmaker! | Frank | Dreams | Paths of Glory | Assault on Precinct 13 | Haywire | Escape From New York | 13 Assassins | A Prophet | Stand By Me | Blackfish | Pumping Iron | The Thin Blue Line | It's A Wonderful Life | What Richard Did | The Bicycle Theives

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
chewy bitems im picking Youth of the beast for you because seijun suzuki made some crazy stuff that everyone should see.

Dmitri Russkie gave me Ben hur to see.

Ben hur lasts over 3 hours but it doesnt really drag until you get to the parts after the chariot race were there is a bit too much uneven melodrama for my sake, the leper stuff is really poorly done with the motivations of the characters suddenly becoming really hard to understand and the hammy dialogue gets turned up to 11. But before that you have a pretty awesome movie in the sense that everything is well done and nothing really feels out of place. heston has a beautiful body which you get to see almost all the time :fap: while watching him chew scenery like a loving champion. also the chariot race is completely insane and worth seeing the movie alone for. I really liked how they made a jesus movie where jesus is not the main character, really well done imho.

Anyway the movie is a fun and super straight forward on rails type deal but its still a really good watch because almost everything just works

MY LIST:
gone with the wind
Bicycle Thieves
Tokyo story
400 Blows
Schindler's List
Notorious
High and Low

im gonna add spartacus because gently caress YEAH SWORD AND SANDAL EPICS

stuff ive seen:
ben hur
ikiru
7th seal

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Slaapaav, keep going with old classic epics, and see Gone with the Wind. I haven't seen it either, and I wonder if it's as good as its reputation is, seen with fresh eyes, 75 years later.

Chewy Bitems assigned me Highlander. It's been a long time since I've seen a movie that was so radically different from my expectations. Before seeing it, I knew the following three things about Highlander: 1) Sean Connery, 2) Scotland, 3) Some kind of epic sci-fi/fantasy business with swords and lightning. So I was imagining something like a Scotland-themed Masters of the Universe, starring Sean Connery. Instead, Sean Connery had a bit part where he was dressed as a pimp. The main character is hideously miscast and has an accent and laugh just like Tommy Wiseau from the Room (seriously! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4Uyfjvsx6M). The movie itself is a total mess that's like a combination of Braveheart and Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, with a sprinkling of Ghostbusters. It falls firmly within the subgenre of "Weird poo poo in New York" movies that were popular between about 1975 - 1995 (see Ghostbusters, Escape from New York, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, etc) but is the worst of these by far. Still, it was at times more endearing in its badness than annoying, and there's plenty of unintentionally funny moments to provide entertainment.

2/5

New List of Shame:

1. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly: I've just never been that interested in Westerns.

4. Zero Dark Thirty: Amerrrrca! Ferk yearrhh!

Unshamed: Evil Dead 1.5/4, Evil Dead 2 2.5/4, Hoop Dreams 3.5/4, The Prestige 3.5/4, Citizen Kane 3/4, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan 3.5/5, Paths of Glory 4.5/5, Once Upon a Time in the West 4.5/5, Highlander 2/5

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
Ramrod Hotshot, if I'd posted a couple of seconds earlier I wouldn't be picking another one for you, sorry! hopefully you like my next pick more than the last... ok, go with Ran as I'd personally consider it the best of the few films I've seen on your list (Munchausen, Ran, Good Bad & Ugly).

Slaapaav correctly stated that everyone should see more Seijun Suzuki stuff and gave me Youth of the Beast.

I still don't know why it has that title, but I do know that it is a superb film. My interest in this film came from it being directed by Seijun Suzuki and it did not disappoint, a technicolour 60s gangster film starring Jo Shishido (him with the surgically enhanced hamster cheeks) as a cool stranger who shows up causing trouble for a local yakuza outfit (he's introduced fighting a thug, then wiping his bloodied shoes on the thug's shirt). The plot unravels in pieces throughout the film and it moves non-stop, it's a really fast watch and it's left me again craving more early Suzuki films as his films are delightfully fun to watch and often visually gorgeous to view. It's great fun.

List of Shame:

2 - Achilles and the Tortoise - final film of Kitano's 'surrealist autobiographical trilogy'...[Catching up with Kitano 2/4]

3 - Samurai Rebellion - Know nothing about this, but it's directed by Masaki Kobayashi, Director of Harakiri, which I loved.

4 - The Raid - Highly acclaimed recent action film, been meaning to catch this since it's release.

5 - Noah - Getting caught back up with Aronofsky. Heard conflicting reports about this...

6 - The Black Power Mixtape 1967-1975 - Not heard much about this, but a subject I find extremely interesting. [Documentary Slot]

7 - The Babadook - Heard nothing but good things about this recent horror film. Seems interesting.

8 - Calvary - Writer/Director John Michael McDonagh's follow up the the excellent The Guard, must see this. [Irish Film Slot]

9 - Once Upon A Time In The West -Got some good reviews in the thread, highest unseen film on imdb top 250 for me.

10- Silence - new - Long intrigued by this film,, now I need to catch it before the Scorsese version comes out next year...

Shame No More: [43] [top five] Psycho | The Third Man | The Long Goodbye | Harakiri | The Silence of the Lambs | Pi | Jaws | Panic Room | Black Swan | Star Trek II | The Brothers Bloom | Hugo | Badlands | Shame | LA Confidential | The Right Stuff | The Evil Dead | Hanna | The Master | The Untouchables | Glengarry Glen Ross | The Seventh Seal | The Apartment | The Player | Ronin | The Grand Budapest Hotel | Glory to the Filmmaker! | Frank | Dreams | Paths of Glory | Assault on Precinct 13 | Haywire | Escape From New York | 13 Assassins | A Prophet | Stand By Me | Blackfish | Pumping Iron | The Thin Blue Line | It's A Wonderful Life | What Richard Did | The Bicycle Theives | Youth of the Beast

Chewy Bitems fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 14, 2015

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
chewy bitems go watch Once Upon A Time In The West, i really want to hear someones personal opinion on this movie

gone with the wind is wierd as hell.. in the first 2 hours you just laugh wtf is wrong with this stuck up dumb bitch, why did they decide to make a 4 hour long movie where she is the main character?? but then in the second half you realise that she was actually someone completely different, a really interesting character and there is still 90 minutes of run time left to tell more story while you also get to rethink all the stuff in the first half that you had the wrong idea about. scarlett is the greatest movie character of all time, hollywood being able to portray such a wild female character in 1939 just blows my mind its so far ahead of its time. this would seem cutting edge if it was released today imho. I did not expect this at all. great movie that i would be willing to watch again in a few years.

MY LIST:

Bicycle Thieves
Tokyo story
400 Blows
Schindler's List
Notorious
High and Low
Spartacus

il add Inception which is the best ranked movie on imdb that i havent seen

unshamed: ben hur, 2001, Ikiru, 7th seal, gone with the wind

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Slaapaav, watch Bicycle Thieves.

Heart of Glass is one of Herzog's most beautiful works in terms of the visuals. The first 7 minutes, when Herzog is playing with the images of nature, may be unparalleled within his filmography. He sets the feeling of a trance perfectly. The shot of the fog flowing over the mountains like a river may be one of the most beautiful in all of world cinema. The film often looks like a painting, especially the candlelit scenes in dark bars. The story is tough to follow, but I don't think that matters because it's not attempting to be coherent. It's attempting to capture a trance-like feeling, which it succeeds at.

My List:

Damnation (1988) - I've never seen a Béla Tarr film. I know Werckmeister Harmonies is the favorite, but something about this one is calling me. (Added 12/21/2013)

Fort Apache (1948) - The first in John Ford's Cavalry trilogy. (Added 1/2/2014)

A Streetcar Named Desire (1951) - The only Elia Kazan movie I've seen is On the Waterfront, which I watched for this thread. And the only Tennessee Williams I've seen is Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. So I owe both of them a deeper look. (Added 8/4/2014)

Napoleon (1927) - An old silent on Napoleon? How long could it possibly be? Oh... OH! Oh no. (Added 10/8/2014)
TSPDT Top 1000
The Mirror (1975) - Another Tarkovsky. I don't know if I can handle one again so soon, although this is a much more manageable length. (Added 2/3/2015)
Academy Award for Best Picture
The Hurt Locker (2009) - I think Zero Dark Thirty might be one of the greatest films of the 21st century thus far, so I feel like I'll enjoy Bigelow's other Iraq movie. (Added 2/15/2015)
Jonathan Rosenbaum's Essential Films
The Avenging Conscience (1914) - Griffith's last film before The Birth of a Nation. (Added 2/15/2015)
TSPDT 21st Century
Yi Yi (2000) - This consistently ranks high on lists but nobody ever seems to talk about it and I have no idea what it's about. (Added 2/24/2015)
My Criticker Remembered Films
An Angel At My Table (1990) - I loved The Piano when I saw it for a film class but haven't watched any other Campion films since. (Added 3/19/2015)
Procrastination
Predator (1987) - Just passed me by. I've seen AvP and Predators, but never the original. I've been watching the Fast & Furious movies so I could go for some more action. (Added 5/15/2015)

Watched: Harold and Maude; The Third Man; Inland Empire; Godzilla; Big Trouble In Little China; Y Tu Mamá También; Marathon Man; Hunger; A Woman Is A Woman; Black Narcissus; A Hard Day's Night; Scarface; Le Doulos; On The Waterfront; Rocky; 3 Women; Airplane!; Duck Soup; Clash of the Titans; Singin' In The Rain; The Cow; Straw Dogs; Stop Making Sense; Bad Timing; Once Upon A Time In America; Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade; Robocop; Shane; WALL·E; The 36th Chamber Of Shaolin; The Man Who Fell To Earth; Mr. Smith Goes To Washington; Divorce Italian Style; Some Like It Hot; To Kill A Mockingbird; An American Werewolf In London; Buffalo '66; Lawrence Of Arabia; Manhattan; Cul-De-Sac; The Birth of a Nation; Braveheart; Sex, Lies, and Videotape; Malcolm X; Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai; The Passion of Joan of Arc; The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King; Le Samouraï; The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance; Marat/Sade; His Girl Friday; A Woman Under the Influence; Close Encounters of the Third Kind; Rio Bravo; Triumph of the Will; Titanic; Strike; The General; Jules et Jim; Tokyo Story; Once Upon A Time In Anatolia; L'Âge d'Or; Stroszek; Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky; Faust; Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom; Frankenstein; Rebel Without a Cause; Gone with the Wind; Barry Lyndon; The Grapes of Wrath; Midnight Cowboy; My Darling Clementine; Hoop Dreams; Close-Up; Begotten; The Goddess; The Apartment; Hell's Angels; All About Eve; Night and Fog; Grey Gardens; Zardoz; King Boxer - Five Fingers of Death; The Lady Eve; Akira; The Beaver Trilogy; Day of Wrath; Andrei Rublev; Showgirls; Chelsea Girls; Band of Outsiders; In the Mood for Love; Black Jesus; Play Time; Heart of Glass (TOTAL: 96)

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Trix, I've heard good things about The Mirror and it's been a few months since your last Tarkovsky.

El Cid was pretty good. Beautifully shot, great score by Miklós Rózsa, good performances, one of those epic movies that they don't make anymore. Also the last scene is pretty :black101:

1. The Man with the Golden Arm - Sinatra is said to be incredible here.

2. An American In Paris - Let's try another musical :v: Gershwin though.

3. Casino - Yes, the Scorsese movie. I've seen a few clips but never the whole thing.

4. Scarface The Pacino version.

5. The Guns of Navarone One of those classic WW2 movies with a cavalcade of stars.

6. Duel Always heard this Spielberg movie was good.

7. The Agony and the Ecstasy Recommended by a friend when I asked about movies on artists; this one is about Michelangelo.

8. Cape Fear The 1962 version with Peck and Mitchum.

9. The Fallen Idol So the director and the writer of "The Third Man" went and did another thing together.

10. NEW The Night of the Hunter for my film noir fix.

AFI meter: 70
IMDB 250 meter: 152
Oscar winners: 48

Movies watched: City Lights, Some Like It Hot, Annie Hall, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Dollars Trilogy, Bottle Rocket, Bonnie and Clyde, To Kill a Mockingbird, All About Eve, Breakfast at Tiffany's, The French Connection, To Catch a Thief, Infernal Affairs, The Aviator, The Best Years of Our Lives, Midnight Cowboy, The General, Once Upon a Time in the West, The Philadelphia Story, The Lion in Winter, The Duellists, Ben-Hur, Seven Samurai, Rocky, Kill Bill, 8 1/2, La Strada, Kundun, The Exorcist, Dog Day Afternoon, Anatomy of a Murder, Amarcord, Inframan, A Place in the Sun, Assault on Precinct 13, The Wicker Man, Spartacus, Death Proof, Days of Heaven, The Ladykillers (2014), Birdman, Intolerable Cruelty, The Conformist, Shane, A Man For All Seasons, El Cid

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

a pilot on fire is not fit to fly

monster on a stick posted:

3. Casino - Yes, the Scorsese movie. I've seen a few clips but never the whole thing.

I'm picking this at random as I have nothing to say about anything of these choices. Sorry.

-

The Thing - I was supposed to watch this around Halloween. But I watched a week before Memorial Day instead. Close enough.

I respect this movie. The special effects are amazing. Kurt Russell was drat good. The dogs were cute until the flesh vines started ripping out of them.

But I didn't really get into it. I expected more psychological horror, which might be a failure of my expectations more than anything else.

The one scene that got to me was the defibrillator CHOMP scene. That got me to sit up in my chair and bring my knees to my face like a baby for a sec.

Otherwise, it didn't feel too special, outside of the fantastic effects. Amazing work but...eh, I'll probably never feel the need to rewatch it. Not a bad way to spend the two hours though.

I suspect Carpenter's style doesn't always resonate with me. They Live does; The Thing didn't.

-

SHAMELIST: (in order of longest time on this list)

Rain Man - I just finished a book on memory and it discussed the inspiration for this movie. Seems a good justification to finally see it.

Mad Max - How does this stack up compared to the well-known classic Warriors of the Wasteland?

All Quiet on the Western Front (the old one) - Blame Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast on me wanted to watching something about The Great War.

The Breakfast Club - Is this a feel good movie? I don't know.

On Her Majesty's Secret Service - Next in the Watch-All-The-Bond-aThon.

Rambo First Blood - Contra is a fun game.

This is Spinal Tap - I still don't know what this movie actually is.

De-shamed (66): Raiders of the Lost Arc; Alien; Blade Runner; The Godfather; Casablanca; Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom; The Godfather Part II; Die Hard; Grave of the Fireflies; Aliens; A Fistful of Dollars; One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest; Network; Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade; Schindler's List; Superman; Dr. No; Rear Window; Young Frankenstein; Jaws; Akira; The Shining; American Psycho; Metropolis; The Graduate; The Birds; Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure; WALL·E; American History X; The Third Man; Blue Velvet; Seven Samurai; Notorious; Lawrence of Arabia; La Dolce Vita; The Jerk; Videodrome; Deliverance; Ed Wood; Mulholland Drive; From Russia With Love; Rebel Without A Cause; Senna; Groundhog Day; The Terminator; Who Framed Roger Rabbit; Goodfellas; Terminator 2: Judgment Day; Wreck-It Ralph; The Goonies; Some Like It Hot; Rashomon; The Rocky Horror Picture Show; Highlander; Thunderball; Rocky; Robocop; Full Metal Jacket; Touch of Evil; Planet of the Apes; You Only Live Twice; The Sound of Music; Halloween; The Princess Bride; Donnie Darko; The Thing

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Space Cob, there need to be more World War I movies. See what you think of All Quiet.

My favorite movie picker Chewy Bitems assigned me Ran. It's really good in about every way. This is a very visual movie and I'm a sucker for aesthetics. I liked the way the old man looked more and more zombie-like over time. The uniforms, flags, and colors of the various factions were also impressive, and I'm not surprised the costume designer won an academy award. The number of men and horses in the battle scenes might be an all-time record in the pre-CGI era, certainly surpassing Braveheart.

I also enjoyed the Game of Thrones-like political scheming, particularly Lady Kaeda's antics. One scene where she walks toward Jiro I believe was an inspiration for Tarantino for Uma Thurman's character in Kill Bill. And her sudden beheading at the end was definitely an inspiration for that movie.

The end was very sudden though, and for an almost three hour long epic I felt like it needed a little extra time for an epilogue. There's a lot of characters and I wasn't sure who took the First Castle in the final battle. I don't think it was Saburo's patron, who I also forget the name of. Anyway, none of this is really wrapped up much. Great movie though.

4.5/5

New List of Shame:

5. The Fog of War: I'm not sure why this is supposed to be such a great doc since I'm pretty sure it's just one old dude being interviewed for two hours, but I guess I should find out.

Unshamed: Evil Dead 1.5/4, Evil Dead 2 2.5/4, Hoop Dreams 3.5/4, The Prestige 3.5/4, Citizen Kane 3/4, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan 3.5/5, Paths of Glory 4.5/5, Once Upon a Time in the West 4.5/5, Highlander 2/5, Ran4.5/5

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Ramrod, watch The Act of Killing, which is a one-of-a-kind film

I was given Stanley Kubrick's Lolita. I was expecting more on the side of later Kubrick, but Lolita is definitely more in Kubrick's Dr. Strangelove vein. It's a darkly comic, disturbing film with a nice veneer. The basic premise of the film is set up very early on, and the rest of the film is exploring Humbert and Lolita's relationship with each other, and Humbert's descent. Humbert is a fascinating man, and watching him gradually become more vile and controlling is exciting. The film is also very well made. The editing doesn't make it feel like a 2.5 hour movie, and the cinematography, as expected from Kubrick, is gorgeous.

My list (sorted by time on my list, with longest at the top):

1) Once Upon A Time In The West - I need to see more westerns, I loved the Man With No Name trilogy, and I've had the DVD sitting around forever. I have no excuses.

2) Badlands - Gotta finish going back through Malick's filmography

3) Suspiria - Been exploring some of the classics of horror recently, and I've never watched an Argento

4) The Manchurian Candidate - What if Frank Sinatra had been in Die Hard?

5) Sunset Boulevard - About time I gave Billy Wilder a close-up

NEW 6) The Last Temptation of Christ - Scorsese died for our sins

Unshamed: Royal Tenenbaums, 8 1/2, Crimes & Misdemeanors, Pan's Labyrinth, Schindler's List, The Holy Mountain, Boogie Nights, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, The Exorcist, Days of Heaven, Inland Empire, The Hidden Fortress, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Naked Lunch, The Seventh Seal, Manhunter, Lolita

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
X-Ray, you should watch The Last Temptation of Christ, it's an excellent film. Just Peter Gabriel's score is worth it.

I watched Casino and it was good - a clear spiritual sequel to Goodfellas, maybe Scorsese's best. De Niro was great (as he usually was when Scorsese was directing), some great cinematography by the great Robert Richardson. It was good, maybe the narration went over the top at some points, and the film was a bit long clocking in at three hours. Apparently it went through a number of script revisions, I'd have to imagine the early ones would have been getting close to four hours. Anyway, good movie, not my favorite Scorsese but still a great movie. And with that, I'm adding another unwatched Scorsese to the list, next one back.

1. The Man with the Golden Arm - Sinatra is said to be incredible here.

2. An American In Paris - Let's try another musical :v: Gershwin though.

3. Scarface The Pacino version.

4. The Guns of Navarone One of those classic WW2 movies with a cavalcade of stars.

5. Duel Always heard this Spielberg movie was good.

6. The Agony and the Ecstasy Recommended by a friend when I asked about movies on artists; this one is about Michelangelo.

7. Cape Fear The 1962 version with Peck and Mitchum.

8. The Fallen Idol So the director and the writer of "The Third Man" went and did another thing together.

9. The Night of the Hunter for my film noir fix.

10. NEW The Age of Innocence A Scorsese I haven't seen, and... well, I guess it has Daniel Day-Lewis?

AFI meter: 70
IMDB 250 meter: 152
Oscar winners: 48

Movies watched: City Lights, Some Like It Hot, Annie Hall, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Dollars Trilogy, Bottle Rocket, Bonnie and Clyde, To Kill a Mockingbird, All About Eve, Breakfast at Tiffany's, The French Connection, To Catch a Thief, Infernal Affairs, The Aviator, The Best Years of Our Lives, Midnight Cowboy, The General, Once Upon a Time in the West, The Philadelphia Story, The Lion in Winter, The Duellists, Ben-Hur, Seven Samurai, Rocky, Kill Bill, 8 1/2, La Strada, Kundun, The Exorcist, Dog Day Afternoon, Anatomy of a Murder, Amarcord, Inframan, A Place in the Sun, Assault on Precinct 13, The Wicker Man, Spartacus, Death Proof, Days of Heaven, The Ladykillers (2014), Birdman, Intolerable Cruelty, The Conformist, Shane, A Man For All Seasons, El Cid, Casino

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

monster on a stick posted:

6. The Agony and the Ecstasy Recommended by a friend when I asked about movies on artists; this one is about Michelangelo.

I've amazingly not seen anything on your list, so I'll pick out of a hat.

After another long wait, I finally saw Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. When recommended, it was pointed out the chemistry between Newman and Redford. I must say that the chemistry between those two was basically the highlight of the movie and drove it into "good" territory. Other than that, I was not all that pleased with the film. The pacing seemed really off for a lot of it, and it frankly had a lot of uneventful moments between the famed set pieces. In spite of these accusations, it was overall entertaining, and it proves a point on how great acting can carry what might've been a subpar movie. The set pieces were really good too, and I can see why they've been paid homage/mocked in the years since. The last scene is just fun.

I also saw Rain Man since my last list (a few days ago in fact). This is yet another movie carried by two really strong characters with a pretty solid chemistry between them. The highlight of the film is Tom Cruise doing a fine job of showing character growth (something I thought he did even better in Born on the Fourth of July), and really carrying the film overall. Hoffman is outstanding, and I thought they did a good job of having him be the same person throughout. I felt they could've screwed this up a lot, and instead they did a good job of using him as a vehicle to grow Cruise. Other than that, I don't have too much bad to say without getting nit-picky. I'm not sure I'd call it great, but it's a good film nonetheless. I must say I enjoyed it.

New List:

1. High Noon - Keeping a western theme going at this spot. I have a feeling I'll enjoy this.

2. Three Colors: White - Continuing the trilogy.

3. The Searchers - I've not seen all that much from Mr. Wayne in my lifetime. I know this is universally considered his best.

4. The Hustler - I know it's supposed to be good!

5. Modern Times - Only imdb top 50 movie I haven't seen.

6. Her - I have nothing from the 2010s on here, and I've never seen a Spike Jonze film. Let's try it out.

7. Ran - Kurosawa hasn't been on this list in a while. I would definitely like to look into his work more.

Best Picture Bonanza (49/88)

8. The Sound of Music - I've heard the hills are alive.

9. Million Dollar Baby - The most recent best picture I haven't seen.

10. Kramer vs. Kramer - I know Meryl Streep and Dustin Hoffman are both very good at acting. I don't know much other than the poster and the title pretty much insinuating this is going to be about a marriage gone wrong (maybe a court case).

Watched Count 111: Chinatown, 12 Angry Men, Gone With the Wind, Casablanca, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, The Godfather Part I, The Godfather Part II, Goodfellas, Do the Right Thing, A Clockwork Orange, Wall-E, Citizen Kane, Aliens, The Shawshank Redemption, Back to the Future, Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, Dr. Strangelove, Raging Bull, Rear Window, The Green Mile, Braveheart, Apocalypse Now, Seven Samurai, The Great Escape, City of God, Vertigo, Blue Velvet, Ratatouille, All Quiet on the Western Front, Mulholland Dr., Sunset Blvd., Bridge on the River Kwai, Memento, Unforgiven, The Usual Suspects, Network, The Social Network, Psycho, Black Swan, The Professional (Leon), Duck Soup, Up, The Silence of the Lambs, The Hurt Locker, Animal Crackers, American Beauty, The Princess Bride, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, The Great Dictator, The King's Speech, American History X, Taxi Driver, The Philadelphia Story, Cars, Dial M for Murder, Amélie, Spirited Away, North by Northwest, Paths of Glory, Some Like it Hot, On the Waterfront, Platoon, Annie Hall, Patton, Harvey, Nikita, Yojimbo, How to Train Your Dragon, To Kill a Mockingbird, This is Spinal Tap, Fargo, Sin City, Wayne's World, A Streetcar Named Desire, Barton Fink, Slumdog Millionaire, No Country for Old Men, Rashomon, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Wild Strawberries, Rebecca, Dog Day Afternoon, The Departed, The Graduate, V for Vendetta, My Neighbor Totoro, E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial, City Lights, Life is Beautiful, Stand by Me, The Artist, Howl's Moving Castle, Good Will Hunting, Planet of the Apes, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, 12 Years a Slave, The Intouchables, The Grapes of Wrath, Ben-Hur, Three Colors: Blue, Grave of the Fireflies, Argo, Oldboy, Bicycle Thieves, Wings, Kiki's Delivery Service, Sunrise, Lawrence of Arabia, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Rain Man

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

marioinblack posted:

2. Three Colors: White - Continuing the trilogy.

Try this next.

Red River - It's a direct, fast-paced no-nonsense story. John Wayne plays the crazy character known as "Thomas Dunston" who tries to forge a living on beef. Don't get in this guys way or you'll be shot dead without hesitation. Many Indians, Mexicans and other random people find this out along the way.

The cast encounters many hardships as they make the 1,000 mile cattle run to try and make money off their huge stock of animals.

I liked it more as it drew closer to its conclusion because it's been some time since I've been clueless as to how a film would end.

Red River took some time to come so I watched three others as well:

Jack and Jill - Holy :lol: After I watched this I had to ponder in awe for a few minutes how SHAMELESS the advertising was in this thing. Every plot point had at least a couple of huge brands attached. It could've been titled Eat at Dunkin' Donuts, date on eHarmony, watch the NBA, go on a Royal Caribbean cruise..oh man..how many more ads can we fit in the title?

The relentless advertising was reminiscent of Mac and Me (which infamously turned E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial into a giant McDonald's and Coca-Cola ad).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPgRnFg8ZTU

I suppose on some level it could be taken as a complete mockery of a lot of film formulas but it's obviously a movie for little kids so I don't think they were going for that exactly.

Sandler's zany humor misfires on all levels. It's a reject SNL skit stretched to ninety minutes and there's so many token cameos it's like it was created just to get people some acting credits. Were the writers and actors all on highgrade marijuana?

I could eviscerate this "thing" more but I don't want to bother.

I Know Who Killed Me - Films with numerous shortcomings are a reminder of how miraculous it is when one comes together with perfect balance and perfect flow. I Know Who Killed Me is not one of those times.

I won't go into the full plot as it's too convoluted to explain without typing a page but rest assured the experiment to mix The Parent Trap with Saw did not go very well. It's a classic case of style over substance that wasn't wholly terrible except for not having much to say. There are also 2-3 detrimental segments that seem like they were shot by an assistant director who decided to troll the rest of the production.

I did like the red vs. blue dichotomy between Aubrey Fleming and Dakota Moss. Lindsay Lohan exudes sex appeal like very few of her contemporaries.

Shortcomings:

-Overedited with grindhouse jumps.
-Simultaneously bland and gross.
-Grisly finger amputations, frozen hand torture.
-A dull villain.

A Wednesday - If you've seen the first four films in the Die Hard series you've seen most of this movie. Basically a disgruntled terrorist takes over a city by planting bombs all over the place so that four al-Qaeda and Lashkar-e-Taiba terrorists will be released. If not, the bombing will commence.

The police negotiate with the guy but also go around town beating up a lot of people linked to the terrorist mastermind. There's also a duped news reporter who gets roped into the affair.

All of it was pretty standard good guys vs. bad guys junk but then a funny and cynical twist occurred. The actual terrorist leader blows up three of the terrorists while they're sitting on a bench (thinking they're free) and he turns out to be a mild-mannered concerned citizen. He's a practitioner of vigilantism who then coerces the police into gunning down the other terrorist.

The ending segment was something you don't see too often anymore. If you've seen Death Wish and Dirty Harry just imagine if Paul Kersey and Harry Callahan teamed up in a film.

Harry Callahan: Good job blowing up those terrorists.
Paul Kersey: Thank you.
Harry Callahan: We should do this again.
Paul Kersey: Good idea.

Procrastination (177 completed):

#156 Land Tax AKA Lagaan: Once Upon a Time in India - The Wrath of (Aamir) Khan continues on the IMDb top 250. 10/13/14

#181 The Dead Zone - Sounds interesting but I keep putting it off. 5/5/15

new #182 Bronson - Something about an insane prisoner. 5/25/15

Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Picture (9/37 completed)

new 2004 Catwoman - Superhero movies are all the rage. 5/25/15

new 2003 Gigli - No one seems to like this one. 5/25/15

new 2002 Swept Away - Madonna gets stuck on an island. 5/25/15

Zogo fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 26, 2015

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Zogo posted:

Jack and Jill
I could eviscerate this "thing" more but I don't want to bother.

You should watch and review it in podcast form once a week for a year.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Zogo, watch Gigli. I wonder if it's really as bad as it's made out to be or if it's just the result of a vindictive Hollywood press machine.

X Ray Pecs gave me The Act of Killing. Not the best thing to watch before bed. I had weird dreams all night. Great documentary though. There are so many moments that just make you think, "How are these people real?", from the gangster running for congress who talks about extortion like it's part of the job description; to the paramilitary organization that continues to celebrate mass murder; to the TV show hostess who congratulates these thugs, without any sense of irony, on finding "more humane" ways to kill communists. The primary subject of the documentary, Anwar Congo, reminded me a bit like Bob Durst from The Jinx, in that he's an unrepentant old man who finally collapses under the weight of his own guilt by the end of the doc (if you thought Durst's burps were gross, wait until you hear Congo's guilty noises!).

Still, at two hours and forty minutes, it still feels like there's a lot left unsaid. A little more biographic information on the gangsters would have been useful, as would a little more historical context on Communism in Indonesia. Also, unfortunately there are barely any sympathetic characters in the entire documentary, so if this is the closest look you've had at Indonesian culture, (as it is for me) you might come to the conclusion that it's a country of fascist, murderous thugs, which I doubt is true.

4.5/5

New List of Shame:

2. Fitzcarraldo: Aguirre, the Wrath of God, is awesome. Herzog and Kinski back on wild adventures in the Amazon? Let's go!

5. The Fog of War: I'm not sure why this is supposed to be such a great doc since I'm pretty sure it's just one old dude being interviewed for two hours, but I guess I should find out.

Unshamed: Evil Dead 1.5/4, Evil Dead 2 2.5/4, Hoop Dreams 3.5/4, The Prestige 3.5/4, Citizen Kane 3/4, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan 3.5/5, Paths of Glory 4.5/5, Once Upon a Time in the West 4.5/5, Highlander 2/5, Ran4.5/5, The Act of Killing 4.5/5

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Try to watch one of the longer cuts if possible.

Gigli - This was a deranged merging of Rain Man and Get Shorty.

It was extremely offbeat and atonal and I think that's where most of the derision comes from. Also, the two or three suspenseful moments are wedged in between these hard tonal shifts so that they're completely neutered and leave the viewer indifferent.

The best way I can describe Larry Gigli (Ben Affleck) would be a comparison with Al Bundy the TV character. This guy is a blockhead in all facets of life. He spends so much of the film berating and debating a kid with an intellectual disability (who he has kidnapped to use as a bargaining chip) of some sort. It's something I've never seen before and it reaches perverse levels of humor when this kid frequently outwits him.

One of the highlights is Gigli reading to Brian (who has an obsession with Baywatch) to get him to fall asleep. Of course Gigli is a complete moron and has no books in his house so he reads labels off of products like toilet paper rolls and stuff out of his refrigerator.

Later on Ricki (Jennifer Lopez) shows up because Gigli is such a screwup. They have a few long and gross debates on sex before they reach a dilemma over whether or not they should start dismembering their mentally challenged hostage. That's one of the strengths of the film. It keeps showing viewers new things.

Despite all these shortcomings I've mentioned I did find this to be really funny overall. Comedy is a hard thing to pin down and this thing is bizarre and demented enough that it went into uncharted territory.

Procrastination (177 completed):

#181 The Dead Zone - Sounds interesting but I keep putting it off. 5/5/15

#182 Bronson - Something about an insane prisoner. 5/25/15

new #183 Irreversible - I meant to watch this a long while back. 5/26/15

Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Picture (10/37 completed)

2004 Catwoman - Superhero movies are all the rage. 5/25/15

2002 Swept Away - Madonna gets stuck on an island. 5/25/15

That'd be torture. Jack and Jill is definitely in my bottom 20 or so of this thread.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I haven't seen it (and I don't think I ever will unless my friend who loves when I'm miserable forces me to) but I can imagine. That podcast is great, though.

Holy poo poo, I was given Stalker in this thread so long ago, but I haven't managed to sit down and get to it yet :(

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

I haven't seen it (and I don't think I ever will unless my friend who loves when I'm miserable forces me to) but I can imagine. That podcast is great, though.

Holy poo poo, I was given Stalker in this thread so long ago, but I haven't managed to sit down and get to it yet :(

I keep dragging my feet on The Mirror. Tarkovsky is just so exhausting even though his films are always beautiful. Stalker is probably my favorite of his though from what I've seen and it's hard to say if it was worth killing the entire cast and crew over but if you're gonna die for a movie it may as well be that one.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

TrixRabbi posted:

I keep dragging my feet on The Mirror. Tarkovsky is just so exhausting even though his films are always beautiful. Stalker is probably my favorite of his though from what I've seen and it's hard to say if it was worth killing the entire cast and crew over but if you're gonna die for a movie it may as well be that one.

Well that's a hell of a way to sell a movie. I'll get on it.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Ah poo poo double post.

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
Zoo, watch The Dead Zone. Cocktail, watch Stalker. Trix, watch The Mirror.

I may have cheated by ordering three people to watch movies, but I earned the right too by watching a few list films over the past few days (It's a wonder how self-imposed homework like this becomes so tempting when you're trying to procrastinate from the real stuff). So Bastards, Amores Perros and The Newton Boys can come off alongside Klute (I also watched a few of the films that I would have added).

Newton was the only one that I really liked, that's an unfairly maligned film I think. It's basically just that group of guys hanging out while Linklater messes around with period camera techniques and scores. It's not a great film, but it's a lot of fun.
Perros was good until it kept going after the end of the first story, stalling the momentum abruptly as it reset things. I don't know if Innaritu lacked confidence in himself or is us as viewers but I feel like the film would have been better if told simultaneously rather than as separate chapters.
Bastards was non-sequiter suffering, a pretty simple and perhaps needlessly sadistic story told in an overly obscuring way. I'm still not sure what people see in Denis, but this film didn't help sell me on her as a great director despite a strong central performance and some staying imagery.
Klute was similar in that its story was actually kind of boring once you got to the end of it, but the unique perspective it took on the city and seedier residents within it was compelling in a way, especially given the era. Far more effective as a series of vignettes than as a mystery story or romance though.

Norte, The End of History - I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy tickets to his next film when it shows here and finally watching this seems like it will synch things.

Carlos, The Jakal - The full 6-hour version. I've heard good things and I love Assayas when he's on point, but have always been put off by the fact that this is basically a trilogy unto itself.

The Sacrifice - I need to add some titles and all this talk of Tarkovsky has tempted me into trying this one. What's the consensus on it?

Sin Nombre - After loving his work on True Detective, Jane Eyre and looking forward to Beast I figure I owe Fukanaga this flashback.

Enter the Void - Gasper Noe, as in, no, please don't choose this one.

The Lovers on the Bridge - So far Carax is batting 10/10 for me, but he has a lot of movies left for me to see.

Images - I guess I better watch Altman's other weird movie now.

Viginti fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 28, 2015

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Viginti, watch Images

Saw Whisper of the Heart. Very enjoyable and sweet film. It reminds me very much of Kiki's Delivery Service, in that there is no antagonist. Sometimes movies that just displays the ups and downs of life are the best. Also, having a daughter in junior high, as the protagonist is, made the story very relevant and interesting to me. Great animation and story.

My List:
Wall Street - Greed is good, I hear.

Avatar - I heard this is like Dances with Wolves.

Faust - Looking forward to another Murnau film.

True Grit - The original version. Been a while since a western was on my list.

A Day at the Races - More Marx Brothers madness, please.

The Cat Returns - Need to see some more Studio Ghibli. Sequel to Whisper of the Heart

Ran - Heard this is one of Kurosawa'a best, so I am really looking forward to seeing it.

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers - This is one of my grandmothers favorite movies. I haven't seen it yet.

House of Wax - I've never seen a Vincent Price picture (except for Edward Scissorhands)

The 39 Steps - More Hitchcock here.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, M, Duck Soup, The Princess and the Frog, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, Dracula, It's a Wonderful Life, Lawrence of Arabia, Ikiru, High and Low, Frankenstein, The Mummy, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, Kagemusha, Best In Show, Modern Times, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Red Beard, Monty Python's The Life of Brian, Cars, Cool Hand Luke, The Public Enemy, Time Bandits, Adaptation, The Producers, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Gone With The Wind, My Fair Lady, City Lights, A Christmas Carol(1951), Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, West Side Story, Caddyshack, My Neighbor Totoro, Throne of Blood, The Phantom of the Opera, Yellow Submarine, Little Caesar, The Third Man, The Godfather, Persepolis, The Godfather Part II, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, The Invisible Man, The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Bridge on the River Kwai, A Beautiful Mind, The Kid, Fiddler on the Roof, The Gold Rush, Metropolis, Rear Window, Enter the Dragon, Horse Feathers, The Great Dictator, Despicable Me, The Bad Sleep Well, The Wolf Man, Nosferatu, Patton, Howl's Moving Castle, The King and I, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Kiki's Delivery Service, The King's Speech, Grave of the Fireflies, Porco Rosso, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, The Graduate, Whisper of the Heart

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Dmitri Russkie watch The 39 Steps

X-Ray Pecs posted:

UltimoDragonQuest, I'm giving you Rashomon, which I remember as one of Kurosawa's best, but others will remember differently.
The film is shot incredibly well and the structure is interesting but no version of events is particularly exciting. It's nice that I'm not frustrated the truth never fully comes out but I'm not invested in anything. I guess it's interesting to have a film remind me I'm a passive observer. The trial conceit is a really great scam to get the characters to speak directly to the audience without making it look weird. The story can be confusing and mysterious but it's never forces. Characters have motivation to lie and aren't hiding facts only to serve the narrative. Kurosawa gets a lot of of basically 3 sets and the film never suffers from the "This is a stage play!" feeling I get from some films with limited sets and action. C

Castle In The Sky - Burned out on Miyazakis after watching 3 in row.
La Dolce Vita - It's long and I didn't love La Strada.
L'Age d'Or - I've skipped all the French Bunuels.
Nashville - Musicals should be cartoons with anthropomorphic animals.
Onibaba - That mask is creepy.
Wild Strawberries - I loved The Seventh Seal but never followed up on it.
Wings of Desire - This movie shares blame for that Goo Goo Dolls song.
The Tree of Life - Caught the first 15 minutes and never finished it.
The Killing - I haven't seen much Kubrick.
The Passion of Joan of Arc - I need to see more silent films that aren't from Germany.

Psycho A, Raging Bull C, Brazil D, Nosferatu. B, Leaving Las Vegas C, Rashomon C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewy Bitems
Dec 25, 2012

PIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!
UltimoDragonQuest, go with Onibaba, it's a long time sincs I watched it but I remember it being good.

Slaapaav gave me Once Upon A Time In The West.

One of the main things that put me off watching this film (and even adding it to my Shameful list) was it's length, it's reputation as being a slow film, and that it's a western. There's a few things in films that annoy me and a film being unncessarily long is one of them, pacing obviously even more down to the individual film, and I've just never veen particularly interested in the 'Old West' setting. Thankfully Once Upon A Time In The West is a great film and doesn't feel overly long, though it's very slow pacing early on did put me off a little until the plot started making more sense but by the end I was thoroughly enjoying the film.

It's an utter gorgeous film with a great soundtrack, though the over-dubbed dialogue being noticable for several characters can be a bit distracting but it's mostly fine and the main cast is fantastic. The only real problem that I have with the film is a single scene: Cheyenne's introductory scene where, by massive coincidence, 2 other main characters happen to be stopped at the same place. I know it's economical to have characters interact like this, and it's otherwise an excellent scene, but coincidence (particularly when it's so convenient) is something that always annoys me in a piece of fiction.

Once Upon A List of Shame:

2 - Achilles and the Tortoise - final film of Kitano's 'surrealist autobiographical trilogy'...[Catching up with Kitano 2/4]

3 - Samurai Rebellion - Know nothing about this, but it's directed by Masaki Kobayashi, Director of Harakiri, which I loved.

4 - The Raid - Highly acclaimed recent action film, been meaning to catch this since it's release.

5 - Noah - Getting caught back up with Aronofsky. Heard conflicting reports about this...

6 - The Black Power Mixtape 1967-1975 - Not heard much about this, but a subject I find extremely interesting. [Documentary Slot]

7 - The Babadook - Heard nothing but good things about this recent horror film. Seems interesting.

8 - Calvary - Writer/Director John Michael McDonagh's follow up the the excellent The Guard, must see this. [Irish Film Slot]

9 - Silence - Long intrigued by this film,, now I need to catch it before the Scorsese version comes out next year...

10-The Secret World of Arrietty - new - Missed this in the cinema and need to catch back up with Studio Ghibli's releases.

Shame No More: [44] [top five] Psycho | The Third Man | The Long Goodbye | Harakiri | The Silence of the Lambs | Pi | Jaws | Panic Room | Black Swan | Star Trek II | The Brothers Bloom | Hugo | Badlands | Shame | LA Confidential | The Right Stuff | The Evil Dead | Hanna | The Master | The Untouchables | Glengarry Glen Ross | The Seventh Seal | The Apartment | The Player | Ronin | The Grand Budapest Hotel | Glory to the Filmmaker! | Frank | Dreams | Paths of Glory | Assault on Precinct 13 | Haywire | Escape From New York | 13 Assassins | A Prophet | Stand By Me | Blackfish | Pumping Iron | The Thin Blue Line | It's A Wonderful Life | What Richard Did | The Bicycle Theives | Youth of the Beast | Once Upon A Time In The West