Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I'm always seeing horror stories from Air Force people about life at DLI, but I was wondering, how does that compare to what it's like for a Marine going through there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

How many of you were involved in the barracks gangbang the other night?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Three Marines got caught going family-style on a sailor, from what I've heard.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

It was definitely 3 male marines and a female sailor. The NJPs went down for the marines today. It sounded kind of like they took turns rather than all going at once. They were also drunk, and the sailor said it was all consensual after she sobered up.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

And here I had just thought it was because of the battle buddy policy.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Underage drinking, drinking in the barracks, sex in the barracks, conduct that would bring dishonor on a servicemember, etc

For the NJP itself they had two witnesses from each platoon to cut down on false rumors.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I don't even think anybody mentioned the whole thing where we're considered careerists and everybody else are still trainees.

Fraternization isn't exactly the biggest concern in this sort of situation.

There was a lot of speculation about whether or not their MCMAP belts would actually get taken, but a week or two back they finally were given the word to start wearing web belts with their cammies.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

So the rumor mill around the detachment is that the internet contract is being extended to something like September, which seems odd, because the new provider's contract was supposed to start in June...

As long as the internet stays on.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Pyrosquirrel posted:

Personally I was too busy watching movies and waiting for a riot that was never going to happen. On the plus side I did learn how to properly beat people with a baton.

I was kind of jealous of the people that got to do riot training. I missed out on the search and rescue stuff because my language class started like two days before the end of the SAR course was going to finish.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Have fun with a cat 4 language. I know I am. :smith:

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

HellishWhiskers posted:

What's your poison?

MSA. I've got the 101 next week. The prep for this test has not been a good time.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Marines aren't really given the drop into an easier language option. My first roommate here got an LoA drop earlier this year, and he's still going to end up doing almost the exact same crap in the fleet, just without a language he has to maintain proficiency in.

There's also a guy who got dropped from the Asian schoolhouse a while back who got reclassed to MP. I guess he came out ahead though because he's about to pick up corporal, which isn't something any DLI grads will be doing any time soon.

At least I didn't get Pashto.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Yeah, I've already started cross-studying with a Levantine that started class at the same time as me, when we can.

I'm fully aware of how pointless MSA is compared to pretty much any dialect, but at least I'll have a retarded amount of college credits when I'm done here.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

How does taking the OPI work in the fleet? I've been told it's not something that ever really happens. Or are you saying to try to OPI in Yemeni while I'm here? Right now they're having us sep the week we graduate, I'm hoping they'll go back to having graduates spend a bit in holding platoon so I can try to study dialects more or maybe enjoy this town that NCOs keep saying is so great.

I'm in ME1, I'm pretty good friends with some MSAs in ME2 so I could probably get the Yemeni stuff through them if they're still handing those things out.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

That's basically all one of my teachers does for 7th hour, so I'm not sure what you mean there.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I've been here long enough at this point that I've known people who are graduating now well enough to think of them as friends, and I don't know any PFCs in any of the other platoons.

And I'm just taking my 201 next week.

There are some days when I love how much time I have here, and others when I hate it.

Also I took a unit test while hungover for the first time last week, and greatly improved my listening score from my last unit test. I don't know why it took me so long to try this.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Well that's reassuring

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Analogical posted:

On the brightside you're about six months from BAH'd freedom. The AF and Navy barracks at GA/MD frequently overfill so you can move out even if you're not an E5.

Except Internet Wizard. Your barracks are always empty. I think gunny just moved out last week

:gibs:
I'm putting in my dream sheet pretty soon. I'm assuming Lejeune is the least awful of my choices?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

My only other likely option, really, is support in like Georgia.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I graduate a month before my two-year mark.

edit: is this 3/3 thing going to be for all linguists drawing FLP pay or just cryptos working with strategic? Any idea when this will go into effect? Can you say at all?

Internet Wizard fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 6, 2015

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

You're gonna be here for a while so pace yourself. Don't let the language get ahead of you. Don't, under any circumstances, let personal stuff from back home distract you. It sucks, but there will be times when you'll have to ignore your family to some degree.

If you go to the Duck (it's the Bear and the Bull now but nobody calls it that) watch your drink, and don't get picked up by a cougar.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Yeah, Indian Summer got blacklisted by all of the commands for underage drinking and drugs about a month ago.

I hadn't been there in like 8 months or something like that because yeah, that was pretty much where underage Marines or the boots that didn't know about better places went.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I don't think I've seen a single foreign uniform, so unless they're in civvies I don't think they're around much.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

This is the first I'm hearing of this, which is actually kind of disconcerting since they claim that missing persons posters were circulated around the base and such.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

The only complaints that I heard are stuff you'll be able to get out of by virtue of not being junior enlisted.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

If just going to DLI doesn't get you put on some watchlists as a precautionary measure somebody should get on that.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Does the Bear and the Bull still have all of the old Mucky Duck signs up inside of it, or did they finally finish changing the interior stuff to match the new name?

The one and only time I blacked out in Monterey was after drinking there. Good times.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Gordon is better than Huachuca.

That's like when I tell people 29 Palms is better than Goodfellow.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

You're AF? I think they're the only people that don't actively hate their time in TX. The Army isn't allowed to drink, and the Marine detachment is an absolute nightmare of a unit. Like they warn us about how awful it is when we leave Monterey.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Enjoy living in a building that isn't condemned.

You can go to the arts and crafts building and make a mug for like $20 that will let you drink at the EC for super cheap.

The main gym is really nice, better than the PFC. Other than the no outside lifting space, kinda missed that. I never used the smaller one.

The chow hall lets you take food out which is convenient. They were doing renovations on one of the two chowhalls, which was inconvenient. No idea what the status of it is now but I doubt they're back to having two open. The quality of the food is better than at DLI, hands down.

There's a private gun range just outside of town that's really nice if you like shooting and have a way to keep a gun in the area. There's an on-base armory but they're kind of a pain to deal with from what I've heard.

The base library is nice. There's a language library with books and movies in all sorts of languages that's in a separate building by the SCIFs.

You can do MCMAP with the Marines 11ish to 13ish most days if you want to, you guys are authorized to wear any belt you earn with your cammies. Tan belt sucks and is boring, and most of grey is the same, but it gets pretty fun, and punching and throwing people is a good way to blow off steam during the day. The green belt I'm wearing right now was given to me by an AF LT who ended up earning his black belt while there. I think you guys have to get some risk waivers signed by your chain of command, though.

Seriously though get out of San Angelo as often as possible. There's not much to recommend about that place.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Driving from Goodfellow to 29 ended up getting me something like $1000 so I'd definitely recommend it if you don't mind driving.

Just be warned, West Texas is an empty wasteland. You ever seen No Country For Old Men? That's West Texas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Ask TMO, they should be able to give you a pamphlet or something if they don't have scales there. I know Goodfellow does for when you get there. You could just do your loaded weight in TX, then unload your car, and do your unloaded weight.

• Locked thread