Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline
I work CQ here :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

When I close my eyes, I see this thing, a sign, I see this name in bright blue neon lights with a purple outline

QingLaiXiguaba posted:

* An airman who dresses up as Indiana Jones every single day, without exception. Australian hat, a vest with way too many pockets, the whole nine yards.

I saw this kid the other day and yelled "WE NAMED THE DOG INDIANA" at him. I don't think he understood.

Do you live in the barracks across from Air Force? if so what the gently caress is that song you guys blast like three times a day every day? our whole drat squad is humming it on a daily basis now

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

GreenMeat posted:

For those currently in language training: Have there been any changes at DLI now that Sandusky's out and Pick is in as commandant?

No. Well the DFACs are now open for 1 hour instead of 90 minutes. He might have had a hand in that.

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

I start mandarin august 5th :ohdear:

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

GreenMeat posted:

So, who was the student that got clocked in the head with a beer bottle by that wannabe hippy?

http://www.truecrimereport.com/2010/07/tyler_tirado_moron_of_the_day.php

more on the story here. no names or branches though

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

end week 1 of mandarin

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

Crown and Anchor owns

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

I'm currently in Chinese. Help me succeed.

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

I've been in just shy of 5 months and could easily see swinging a 1-1 with the right teaching team. The poo poo is very difficult but if Ft. Bragg is anything like DLI by way of workload per-day you can pull it off.

2-2 loving forget about it. The difference from 1 to 2 is VERY substantial and 2-2 is considered passing for those of us in the 63 week course. And many have trouble even with that. Best of luck to you, post here when you start up class i'll dump all my knowledge on this thread.

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

iceslice posted:

Class started. Almost 2 weeks in. Covered pingying and moving on to grammar right now. Its pretty freaking hard, but enjoyable. I'm having a hard time keeping up with the sheer amount of memorization required. Pronunciation isn't too bad, but the complexity of each word/phrase kinda blows my mind.

After just listening to them speak ceaselessly for a few weeks tones and word memorization wont be a problem at all. 23 weeks in and I still write all my tests in Pinyin, it'll be one of your best friends next to this website...
http://www.mdbg.net/chindict/chindict.php

Grammar is another issue. After 5000 years of language the Chinese people put words pretty much wherever the gently caress they feel like. There is a basic structure you'll get used to, but get in to the habit of asking lots and lots of questions if you can say this v.s. that. You're going to hear words used in ways that dont make sense (like "dui", which means correct can also mean "towards" like "wo dui ta shuo" or I towards him spoke) but dont let it get to you, thats actually one of the things i really dig about this language.

Finally I guess just go over the vocab CONSTANTLY. at 23 weeks we're well over 1500 words and if you just plain forget a character (which you will) it can completely gently caress you over in reading a passage. There's a story that gets passed around here about four native speaking chinese professors with PHDs in their language trying to remember the character for "sneeze".

I'll post more on grammar in a bit. Im hungry.

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

Spockly posted:

So who's gunna give the Air Force a run for their money next time?
What do you say Army?
Hooah
What do you say Marines?
Hooray
What do you say Navy?
(Silence) followed by laughter

same poo poo happened last cup. Except ONE kid in the middle navy formation yelled out "YES SIR!"

And apparently some people were saluting the commander from the front row of the navy formation. like, the man says "what do you say, navy?" and a handful of kids did some half-assed salute from across the football field. Honestly guys, first the belts and now this

At least we took first again

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

oh god our good ole former red rope cant do pushups.

Id post more about chinese but im drunk as poo poo right now. got 2 tests tomorrow.

what I WILL say is dont be afraid of your teacher using words you thought you knew in a different way. "对" and "了" in particular brought me to my knees, but just give it time. chinese grammar has been around for 5000 years, and those people use words however the gently caress they feel like. you will learn this.

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

General Probe posted:

Well since you broke that seal here on SA. What the whole story on the great repay for those of us Air Force dudes that were at Goodfellow AFB from 2006 onwards. I'm hearing all sorts of crazy stories.

What ended up happening with a batch of us who graduated DLI last year was finance writing us up a debt letter for about $3000 while simultaneously paying us about $7000. End result is my paycheck has been about $4000 fat this month. :woop:

AF goons has the 314th burned to the ground yet?

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

tengohemroidz posted:

Everyone got recalled back to base Saturday and is on curfew until 0600 tomorrow and apparently their ropes are trying to stir them up with "Exodus is going to be cancelled."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUDntpV_HdQ

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

Oh sweet jesus does it end. Life here at Offutt is beautiful I wouldn't trade it for anything. 314th had the same poo poo happen when I went through; there was underage drinking that led to a squadron-wide curfew and blues every day for two weeks. Just tough it out and take solace in the fact that life as an Air Force linguist is almost universally cushy and it's likely this will be the "worst" part of your enlistment.

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

:rimshot:

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

TheUnhorse posted:

I've heard air force is actually kicking people out for being subpro, can anyone confirm/deny? Army will be going that way shortly (early next year I hear), or at least forced reclass.

If you are a flyer chances are good that you'll get switched over to X2 (special signals op). The job is pretty loving cool and we're always hurting for more. I don't know how gung-ho the commanders at DLI are about attrition but I wouldn't bet on getting the boot if you are a 1A8.

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

I'm in Monterey this week for some NPS stuff and I looking for some good places to eat. I got a pretty good reply from one of the guys in the Navy thread but I figured it'd be kind of silly not to ask in here as well.

Yama Sushi at the Del Monte Center. Best sushi I have ever had (including in Japan) and very moderately priced (about $10-$15 for two rolls). Also $1.99 sake bombs which amount to a premium sake shot in about 1/4th glass of Stella Artois. You can't do better.

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

Yeah I miss DLI sometimes. Was there from '10 to '11 and practically lived at the PX patio the whole time.

I couldn't do it again, not after flying. Plus my squadron has beer:30 every Friday so its almost like the patio crew, except its with my coworkers and command and the alcohol is free.

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

Androies posted:

Yeah, she's nervous about it, kind of pissed because of how hard it is and how long

:quagmire:

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

You probably won't get the type of answers you're looking for mostly because of :ssh: OPSEC :ssh:

As a 1A8 I can tell you this job owns. Translation seems like it would be the most mind-numbing part of the job, but in reality I find its the most rewarding. Few people see the work you produce and the ones that do will use it to enhance decisions made down the road.

Dirk Digglet fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 15, 2013

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

For those too lazy...

***BREAKING NEWS FROM TRADOC***(somewhat)
In light of all the recent attention sexual assault has gotten from Congress the Army has decided to put its foot down. Especially with the upcoming hearings on Tuesday. So to solve the problem of senior Officers and NCO’s not enforcing the rules already in the place by doing stuff like throwing out convictions etc. TRADOC has imposed new regulations to protect everyone. Of course these regulations will not apply to cadre or senior NCO’S or Officers because as we know from the news they are infallible beings.

Effectively 1 June 2013 for all Army IET and MOS-T soldiers in a training environment no alcohol is allowed to be consumed and there is a 2100 curfew every night. Also all passes whether previously approved or not are cancelled. We can’t have you raping people when you go home to see family you know.

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

The commander there at the 316th is a piece of poo poo as far as I'm concerned. During our inprocessing he deliberately lied about the NSA polygraph and said they would reveal if you lied about past drug use. Don't worry though! Just come clean now and we can work through it together! Lots of good airmen, my friend among them, fell for it and got kicked out.

You can argue "Well you shouldn't lie to get in" and you'd be right, but a commander should not tell a boldfaced lie with the intent to gently caress his airmen over.

In case you're curious, the polygraph asks if you have intentionally shoved model trains up your rear end, sold ice cream to small children, been hired to piss on people (wetwork), or if you support the ron paul revolution. Nothing else. Don't fall for that poo poo ever (even though I know none of you lied and what's on your security form is the truth).

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 28, 2013

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

hypnophant posted:

Ironic, because air force are about to be on lockdown again here

You can just pretend you are stationed at Kadena.

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

Half-price Wednesday was the only thing the duck had going for it and they axed it just before I left.

Also the dude playing guitar on the patio was cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk Digglet
Aug 17, 2009

ManMythLegend posted:

LaLa was the poo poo. I loved that place. The sushi pace that was in that mall was pretty good too. They had some crazy sake deals.

1 cent sake Thursdays. You read that correctly. Also $1.99 for basically half a glass of Stella w/ a shot of sake, and I'm pretty sure that poo poo was free if you bought Yama one. That motherfucker would go shot-for-shot and still make some of the best drat food.

• Locked thread