Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012

General Probe posted:

Well since you broke that seal here on SA. What the whole story on the great repay for those of us Air Force dudes that were at Goodfellow AFB from 2006 onwards. I'm hearing all sorts of crazy stories.

From what I was told, so grain of salt, 2006 was when they started throwing AF folk into the old marine barracks as opposed to the Angelo Inn for the duration of the training TDY. It's the AETC, whatever. They slapped a statement about member being pipeline status and having to be in the dorms onto the orders everyone got, life's good. Except the pipeline statement's right under a statement saying that the member is still TDY, only administratively subordinate to goodfellow, and are authorized TDY entitlements (This actually showed up twice on my orders, above and below the pipeline thing). BAS, BAH, per diem, the whole shebang due to an reference AFI statement. The MPE in Monterey is.. it is.

This admin snafu has caused an ongoing clusterfuck. It used to be that the pipeline statement took precedence. Once you got to your first duty station, SFPC would come a-knocking, asking for your BAS and per diem back. Now the pendulum has swung the other way, as a finance shop (someone said osan, but who knows) had a differing interpretation of everyone's orders and AFPC ate it up wholesale. They're even giving money to folk who are out. Total loving chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012
Was it the cat hobo? He was pretty sweet.

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012
Aaaannnnddd remember that it's the AETC. It sucks, but it ends, and no one give two fucks about it when it's over as long as you can do your job reasonably well while not being cock.

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012
You're also getting hit with maintenance fees and cleaning fees. What was your contract looking like, if you mind me asking?

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012
Guess who just had a RIP drop for one of the last Korean Intermediate Courses. Guess who goes on terminal leave in five days. The DOD has a cute sense of humor.

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012
That's common. Why?

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012
Are they going to be pushing you into French now, or was that just an email urban legend?

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012
Weird on the french side of the house. My unit was just tasked with three MSA non-vols for the frenchy style.

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012
This is based off 2006 experience, so take it with salt, but re-classing did happen. We did have two guys who rolled in not pass the DLTP, and one pass by dumb luck (he went sub-pro immediately after going to regular AF and ended up getting his AFSC pulled), so if you do want to do the job afterwards take it seriously. It will be cake for a bit and then the wall, etc. They did get post, though. The other 5 rollers passed, myself included. The average amongst us was 2+,2+ if that helps. Mind if I ask the lang?

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012

TheUnhorse posted:

I've heard air force is actually kicking people out for being subpro, can anyone confirm/deny? Army will be going that way shortly (early next year I hear), or at least forced reclass.

It can happen. They pull your skill rating, so you can't promote or PCS, and put you into a remedial status. But you have a good deal of time and classes until they actually give you the boot. I think it was something close to two years until the commander has to give a recommendation. Usually it's a keep them.

EDIT: And congrats of the Farsi! Eat the double FLPB for Dari!

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012

ryan_woody posted:

...Campagnos...
Also, you get to have an intense and mildly erotic hand shake with Bennett. It's right outside the Bolio gate for the POM, nestled in a neighborhood. Sammiches the size of your head and one shot diabetes cake.

Monterey wise, there's that breakfast place is next to The Duck Also, and a pretty good Thai place over near the post office. The curry's what you'll want to look for there. There was a chicken place called Bird on a Wire over across from The Duck, but I'm pretty sure it was closed in 2009. Over towards the convention center there's some persian/indian stuff. I liked Indian Summer, but it was more of an outdoor hookah place/bar. Fisherman's Wharf is near there, but it's a tourist trap, so I would suggest not even giving it the time of day. If you're looking for chains just because, there's some generic places (CPK and PF Changs, etc) at the Del Monty Center. It's also about as close to a mall as you'll get outside of Salinas. Cannery Row's there for you I guess... El Torino's is good Mexican?*

Seaside's close to NPS, and tends to be good and cheap. There's a Korean place there that's good who's name escapes me in English, and an good BBQ place by Cali standards. There's also a Black Bear Diner there if you're craving pancakes. Pacific Grove has a short ton of good places to eat and is usually pretty quiet, particularly on Lighthouse St. Pick a place at random there and you'll most likely be happy.

If you're willing to drive, Carmel's got Friar Tuck's where you can get a drat fine omelet and watch the owner amuse children/the retarded guy that comes in with a talking deer head. Pebble Beach's Restaurant's nice but wallet threatening. Marina's a bit closer, and has some good Korean places. Salinas has Steinbeck and gang violence.

*All of this is dated to mid 2008, at which time half of Alvarado St in Monterey was still burned down. There's probably a ton more places there.

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012
What they said. I had friends who came in as Korean, and were popped into Spanish a week before their class start dates due to spots being open. I'm honestly going to say it's about 75% open seats.

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012
Probably has to to with the millions that were jut shilled out in the 1N3/1A8 back pay spree.

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012
There was a coast guard pay chart that said $150/month for 2 combos, but it said it was effective as FY2012. And, well, coasties. Who knows.

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012
Scores only matter for selecting language, and class start dates tend to trump that even.

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012
I agree with it being absurd, but we wouldn't have been getting BAH there if we weren't TDY. And there is definitely more than 1000 folk owed the pay.. 1000 x 1000 is a million dude.

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012
I had a roommate who snuk off base on his 3rd week in Monterey to go to a magic tournament in town, only to be caught by one of the MLIs with the 311th who also happened to be there flipping cards at the same time. That was one of the better phase backs.

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012
Pretty much everything after the nation wide portion is awkward and sad.

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012
... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Dork Dicks!

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012
It'll look good on your initial performance report equivalent. Even if you don't get it now, you're still eligible as long as you're in the employ of the federal government somehow. So if you use your GI bill, and get a paid internship over the summer with whatever agency, you can get it. Same if you just end up going federal. At the end of the day, it's free except for the paperwork. Why not?

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012
Or DC, or anywhere, cause you're near a ton of poo poo.

Also, your job's going to be very unit and shop dependent. You could be doing 9-5 just tapping away at a computer, or swings doing overwatch, or panamas doing god knows what.

Hope you like traffic, though.

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012
There were a fair few floating through in '06-'08. I ran into a ton of Danes for some reason.

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012
And because of that, there's the whole strategic work side of the house. Military linguists are pretty cheap compared to the civilian equivalent (quality's also worse, but hey!), so any intell agency related to the DoD in a peripheral way is going to have a few sperges with bad haircuts floating about.

So that's why you get the massive amount of Korean/Chinese linguists floating about, they're cheap transcribers/collection operators who become even cheaper compared to their civil counterparts if they're on swings or mids. No one in their right mind's going to do a job that they could do in the middle of the day for the same amount of cash up front.

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012
The Chinese/Korean sides of the house goes a lot harder on the speaking side of the house compared to the basic course, even in the refreshers, let alone the intermediate and advanced courses according to the folk I knew who went through them.

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012
hey were saying 2+ 2+ in speeches back in 2002. So scary!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012
My buddies and I went to the land fill out near Ord and use their scales before we left, just unloaded one dude at a time. Also, you can get a junk yard taco at the scales, so there's that.

• Locked thread