Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
popejackson
Aug 21, 2013
BUMP

I could use some advice on how to make it through the MSA course 2,2,1+.

I'm in Unit 5 now and I seem to be regressing. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

popejackson
Aug 21, 2013
My main issue is I'm terrible at listening. I usually get anywhere from a C to B, but a lot of it is guessing, not ability. I'm worse than my grades indicate I'm pretty sure.

What would be a practical way to improve my listening?

popejackson
Aug 21, 2013
My classmates aren't bad people but goddamn can I not focus in class. There's just so much noise and disruption. Non-stop retarded questions and banter going on. Holy gently caress. Seriously thinking about asking to change sections. At least then I can have some peace and quiet before I rock out.

popejackson
Aug 21, 2013

Androies posted:

If you feel like something is seriously holding you back bring it up immediately because this is not the kind of place where you ignore it, because you'll fail out and those retards will go on to get 3/3/2s.

Edit: Also, gently caress Farsi and gently caress the Army.

Yeah...I'm also section leader and have been told privately by the teachers to keep my classroom in line on more than one occasion. I try to do it gently but it's not easy.

I wouldn't give a poo poo if it weren't affecting my ability to learn in class but it's become a problem. I hate going to class now. I may just have to start telling these guys to shut the gently caress up.

popejackson fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Aug 22, 2013

popejackson
Aug 21, 2013
I lost it today and snapped on one of my class mates. He really didn't deserve it, I just have a lot of stress. Thanks for the advice. Keep it coming.

popejackson
Aug 21, 2013

faddypaddy posted:

Okay sorry it took I while to respond but here are my two cents on the subject of listening and MSA.

First thing you need to do is after every day go to your teaching team leader and demand that he photocopies the scripts from that day's listening exercises and gives them to you. Then you sit down at night listen to every single one you didn't understand while reading the script. Also get the scripts for all the supplemental listening sections. You can find them on the share drive if you search from the top level for teacher. You will pull up a bunch of poo poo including the teacher's copy of the TTT's from first and second semester. Grab those two and listen while reading. This will help you tell what each word actually sounds like on the recordings and not what it sounds like in your head which is probably entirely different. Oh and starting Friday night till noon on Saturday don't touch Arabic. If you can PM me with your e mail I will send you some material for unit six that you need that they won't give you.

If it helps ease your mind any I was in the same boat. I struggled for the first semester, I was borderline up until unit six. What changed was I started doing the things I listed above. One more thing learn to use rapid rote really well. Make your own vocab list and go through them get your teacher to record words that don't have audio. Then test yourself on the list and when you are done make a list of what you got wrong then go through it again and again till you have a whole list completed then start on the next one.

Also and if the little poo poo's in your class can't shut up during class start putting it on paper and taking it to the MLI and your company chain of command. Don't be nice to them if they are loving poo poo up in class, because if they can't shut up and work for fifty minutes then they will just be poo poo soldiers when they leave DLI also.

Hey thanks for the tips. I don't have the PM function on my subscription. Can you send me the study material to [deleted]

popejackson fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 17, 2014

popejackson
Aug 21, 2013
I care more about the elimination of the battle buddy rule on post. But yeah, alcohol is a nice bonus.

popejackson
Aug 21, 2013
Anyone have tips on how to quickly improve on numbers drills? I have a test in 2 days and I really suck.

popejackson
Aug 21, 2013
Figured I should ask the Army folks in here: Anyone have information on submitting an airborne school packet as 35p? Like how long it takes to process and what the requirements are?

I graduate in July, pretty much I want to know is there any point in me trying to do this?

popejackson
Aug 21, 2013
Thanks for the advice. I am studying Arabic btw.

popejackson
Aug 21, 2013
For those who have taken the ICPT 301 and 302 in Arabic...do you feel these tests are an accurate predictor of performance on the DLPT? Some teacher told me in the past that the 301 is most similar to the DLPT, which I hope is true because I just got my grades today and they were decent.

popejackson
Aug 21, 2013

Buff Tannen posted:

I got b minuses on both listening and reading for 301 and 302 and got 2+/2+ on the Levantine DLPT. I thought 301 was harder than 302...but I felt lost on that MSA reading DLPT. Holy poo poo...when you're on passage 4 and second guessing your answers, its not a good start.

Are you in a dialect course? Our teachers all said the same thing about the ICPTs

I'm taking MSA.

For anyone who might know: is it true that Army linguists assigned to Fort Gordon don't deploy? If true that's a real bummer.

popejackson fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

popejackson
Aug 21, 2013
California University (of Pennsylvania?!) is offering a B.A. in Arabic through online classes. After DLI credits transfer over its 30 more credit hours (or $7500 bucks). For someone with a degree already it doesn't seem worth it. For those without one it's not a bad deal, especially if you can get tuition assistance.

• Locked thread