Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I sort of halfway remember DLI coming up in another thread at some point. I don't have search so I can't find it. Pretty sure someone in there mentioned there was a LARPing group there and a few openly furry people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

redkillroy posted:

Could there be a possibility that half of DLI is just real life trolls.. baiting the hell out of anyone who'll bite?

If so, It's worth it.

Possible? Sure. It's also possible 4chan is the same thing and not just the pack of gibbering retards they appear to be.

In fact the population is a lot of the same people.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
That was a fun page and a half. Now can we get pack to picking on furries and LARPers at DLI?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
For reasons known only to the more sadistic of the elder gods a lot of people who fail out of DLI end up in my MOS, which means everyone gets to spend a year in AIT with these rejects from 'sperg haven. I don't know how you linguists put up with these people.

Bear in mind I'm talking about an MOS that will regularly make jokes in binary, with the subject matter being the 7 layer OSI model in networking protocol while diagnosing errors in active directory databases. Yes we're that drat nerdy. The people that come out of DLI make even *US* go 'drat dude, you're loving weird' and try feverishly to go somewhere where they are not.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

GreenMeat posted:

Well, I'm giving it my best shot. The new SecDef is all about language and cultural expertise, and the concept that a brigade of prevention is worth a corps of cure will hopefully take root. The idea of multifunction brigade combat teams involved in partner-building enterprises is a bold step in the right direction. Now I just have to keep pounding on the force design fuckers until they realize where linguists (not just 35Ps, but also 09Ls) belong in order to be fully effective.

I want inside the heads of these people. Seriously, I want to know what kind of Lovecraftian mental state allows them to do anything at all other than look at a Farsi linguist in Korea and say 'this is just loving dumb, who is responsible for this and why isn't it fixed yesterday'? Help me out here what is there in the world that can possibly over ride common sense that strongly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

GreenMeat posted:

Not sure if there are currently any Farsi linguists in Korea, but there are plenty of Korean linguists in Iraq/Afghanistan. And Chinese, and Russian, and Spanish...etc. It's all about warm bodies. My MOS is way understrength, so it's hard enough to fill slots period, let alone w/ the right linguist. That's why so many of us are now expert 35Ns and crappy linguists.

When the IROCs come on line, they'll be an ideal place to put 35Ps, lining up their languages w/ the IROC's regional focus. At that echelon they'll still be available to be task organized by div HQ down to the BCT level if they need boots-on-the-ground linguists for LLVI or something, but we can make sure the right linguist fills the slot for whatever mission the unit's slated rather than the raffle system we've got going now.

You apparently work with the guys who are making the decisions to put Korean linguists in Afghhanistan. What are their minds like? I'm curious exactly how they manage to convince themselves it's anything remotely close to a good idea.

• Locked thread