Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
When I was shopping around for my current orders I toyed with the idea of going to DLI to learn Chinese instead of getting my masters at NPS. At the time I thought it was a fantastic idea, and convinced a buddy of mine there to do the same. Eventually I wised up and chose the masters degree route.

Between my friend's stories, and this thread, I know I made the right decision.

*Wears civilian clothes 4 days a week.*

*Doesn't have to deal with E4 and below.*

*Is growing a beard right now during the summer break.*

*Is awesome.*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

AlternateNu posted:

Nope....they're pretty open about it, actually. We have running jokes with the instructors about kicking the crap out of or stealing stuff from the French students. And, whenever we're successful in such endeavors, we declare we have "found our Belgium!". Though, early on some were making "Studieren Macht Frei" jokes, including an idea of making a huge sign and posting it above the "TO LARKIN" sign down the wooden walkway to the school but those didn't last very long.

All of this rules by the way.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Sarkazm posted:

Its got that sort of 'Campus' feel to it as well as a slew of WoW/D&D players. A pretty heavy problem with drinking and Spice as well. It also has a rather high rate of A-School sweetheart-tardation with all the drama/pregnancy/cheating that comes with it.

I wasn't aware there was an A-School there. Is it some bubblehead rate?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Sarkazm posted:

STG's (Surface Sonar Techs) and MN's (Minemen).

Huh, well I'll be. Is the MN one a recent move with the closing of Ingleside?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Sarkazm posted:

Yup. MN's showed up right after the New Year. They're doing their damndest to catch up with the STG's as far as NJP damage though.

Hahaha.

You know, I don't think I've actually ever met an MN. We don't really run in the same circles.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

AlternateNu posted:

Though......the trade of with having an all male ship of 90 guys is....well, you get all the crap with having an all male ship of 90 guys. I evoke the surface fleet version of Rule 34 in regards to that.

I thought having an all male ship was great. I say "all male" to mean no enlisted women since there were a few female O's. Either way though I didn't have to deal with all of the stupid drama that having the opposite sex crammed together for 7+ months causes. It was nice.

You know after the whole "throwing out the three female officers for sleeping with enlisted guys" thing.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

AlternateNu posted:

Nah, dude. All male is ALL MALE with a wardroom made up of 8 guys. I mean....one of our "induction requirements" was having our lone SAR swimmer trick you to look at his dick.

Hell, our 1stLT on more than one occasion would just waltz into the Admin Office (if it could be called one), and just whip his dick out while shootin' the poo poo with our YN.

Oh, and it definitely made the Shellback Ceremony a little more....uhh...interesting.

Look, all I'm going to say is if you haven't seen the DDRT snake then you don't have a real SWO pin.

Also, I'm still a wog... :ssh:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I think I'm standing by Indiana Jones guy at Pete's Coffee right now.

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 7, 2010

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

What is the "murder lodge"?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Milkhaver1984 posted:

It's the Travel Lodge motel on Munras ave. So named because of its proximity to the base and inexorable fate as the hookup palace between sweaty enlisted men and their fat, willing bar-fly floozies.

Thank you. I am never going to be able to not think of this when I drive by that place now.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

StabbyRipStabStab posted:

Not to be a dick, but why do we even have Spanish at DLI?

More then just CT types go to DLI. For example, FAO's roll through there to learn the language of the various not-America places they're going.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

grover posted:

Also, you did it wrong. The correct goon challenge is "Are there stairs in your house?" and the proper response is "I am protected." Do they not teach this anymore??

It's these drat boot goons! Been on the forums since breakfast and don't know poo poo. Back when I reged

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Milkhaver1984 posted:

Can we go back to talking about the spergers on post?

I'm pretty sure they've been posting in this thread for the last few pages.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Do any of you know where I could find a list of the language skills across the military? Like what percentages speak which languages?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Hey, is there a uniform store on DLI, and if so does it happen to sell Navy stuff? I'm tired of the uniform store on NPS being lovely and need to get some stuff before I transfer and actually have to wear a uniform again.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Where is it on base? I'm not very familiar with the layout.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Nevermind, I found it. Also, holy poo poo, I didn't know the PX had an anime store. Fuckin LOL.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

TheUnhorse posted:

Hahaha how is that even shocking? What are you at NPS for?

Systems Engineering.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

GreenMeat posted:

the folks in Monterey/Pacific Grove hate the military.

I don't think this true at all. I mean the Greenpeace clipboard jockeys at the farmers' market would give me dirty looks if I had fresh hair cut, or was in uniform, but everyone else there was nothing but polite and friendly. I loved Monterey.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I always laughed when I saw anyone marching around up there. I remember I did a double take the first time I drove by a group of like 6 airmen all marching off to class. What the gently caress is the point?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

faddypaddy posted:

The grading scales are a little retarded from time to time (DLI is the only place I have ever seen consider 87% a B-.)

My high school actually used this standard back in the day, though I think they have since changed it.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

gently caress I miss the food in Monterey! Never ate at Compagno's, but I've heard noting but good things. It's a small wonder I didn't gain weight when I was there. For real though, if you're not taking advantage of all the ethnic restaurants and festivals in town then you are missing out.

Is that lady who sold soul food at the Alvarado Farmer's Market still there? I think I want to go back and marry her.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

tengohemroidz posted:

Yeah didn't see the soul food stand/lady on Alvarado this week..

This is a sad day.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

LaLa was the poo poo. I loved that place. The sushi pace that was in that mall was pretty good too. They had some crazy sake deals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Professor Bling posted:

This. Also, Yama Sushi was the poo poo even if I usually ordered their teriyaki poo poo because I'm evil and hate sushi.

Yeah that was the name. Also you missed out because they had some great speciality rolls.

• Locked thread