Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Let me just reassure you that yes, that is an absolute loving lie, and you can expect them to immediately begin pressuring you to work pretty much all day every day. Expect a call every morning you’re off, and your boss to want you to work late every time you’re supposed to get off in the afternoon/early evening.

It is absolutely VITAL, right now, that you stand your ground and politely but very firmly tell them, no, I will not do that, this is not what we agreed to and I am not interested.

Oh absolutely. Do not give a loving inch. They will try every single trick to get you to come in, and just because they're blatantly lying to you when they say "it's just for today" and trying to drag you in does not mean they won't be effective.

Everyone bitches about falling for "the oldest trick in the books" but if the trick is in the so-called books that means it still works. And Management has the ultimate trick: lying. To you, to themselves (they might even believe you could come in "just for today"), to customers, to you some more. The moment you give them any ground, no matter how loudly you state "I am doing this for today and only today" management will consider this the new standard and you are expected to meet it from that point on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Four people quit today, one before they even started their first day.

Now THAT is an over-achiever right there! Bravo to him!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Man I wish we got those at Amazon. You'd think we'd get something big mean and stabby to work on the boxes. Especially since HR really likes to call us Amazonians, as if we're a bunch of jungle warriors.

Instead we get these:

AMCARE was probably tired of us cutting our thumbs off. :v:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

The thing is they're actually good at what they do. The little bit on the end is great for splitting tape (even reinforced stuff) while the blade inside the hooked bit is razor sharp and is amazing at cutting straps or strings.

Though let's be honest: a car key could cut tape as well as that thing and a normal razor blade could cut the straps/strings.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Pentaghastly posted:

It makes me feel good to know that other shifts have also completely given up at my store.

Today I’m not caring, and thus far it’s been pretty great.

So what's causing this complete lack of fucks? Store shutting down or management being shocked that there is a breaking point that once you cross your employees tell you eat poo poo?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Worked handing out food samples for three years. Three years of being the Walmart Associate favorite person (here, have this entire burger I just cooked and am too lazy to cut up) but having to please every gormless shithead customer. It's FOOD SAMPLES how loving hard can it be to eat and nod as I say "if you like this, it's on aisle whatever"?

Never loving again. I worked a kitchen job and now work deep in the dusty bowels of an Amazon FC to avoid that poo poo.

I'll admit there was the occasional one was fun. A few of the ice cream ones on hot Texas days, and one of the days where I was showing off single serve coffee machines when they were knew was cool because I was the most popular dude in the store and everyone wanted just wanted free ice cream. Most of the others just dragged on and some outright sucked. Like the OTHER one I was supposed to show off another single-serve coffee machine and some Walmart associate nicked it thinking "Oh the sample people already did a show with this, they won't need this again."

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Welp, I just sat around while on the clock doing jack and poo poo for three hours at Amazon tonight because our facility just done broke.

12-1 AM: The flat sorter (sorts all the small outgoing packages, most of which are flat hence the name) is down. Turns out a package fell off the machine and nearly burst into flame from the friction before facilities could find it.
1:10-ish AM: The collector belt for the Ship sorter (takes shipments too big to fit on the flat sorter) breaks. This is a giant belt that collects all the work and tosses it onto the ship sorter so nothing can go to it until it's fixed. This is serious enough that in less than 5 minutes Management goes "Right, early second break while Facilities (hopefully) fixes this!"
2 AM: poo poo's still broke
3 AM: poo poo's still broke and managers have run out of stuff for us to do to even look like we're busy.
4:15 AM: Management finally gives in, throws up their hands and basically shouts "WHO WANTS TO GO HOME SO WE CAN STOP PAYING YOU FOR TONIGHT?"

This is gonna cause a massive backlog and headache that's gonna take a day or two to sort out but...I honestly don't care. My time off for tomorrow is already confirmed and locked into the computer, and the next three days are my normal weekend.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Yeah since the managers were bored I got one to explain what the gently caress has been going on and why our start of shift is such a mess.

Mainly it comes down to corporate management on high has decreed that orders will be packed and gone within 3.5 hours of being made by the customer instead of 4.5. So at the end of the day when everyone gets off work/school is the giant daily peak of business. Since there's an hour less of flex time it hits the end of day shift harder when they have the most attrition, and the beginning of night shift harder. Also day shift is so big that their end of day attrition of people going "I'm tired man" or "gently caress this, I'd rather be home than here" is nearly the size of our entire pack crew.

On the plus side, this means two things:
1) For the first time in nearly two years, my FC will actually start hiring for night crew. If you, or anyone else you know, lives in or near San Marcos TX and needs a job, Amazon will likely be hiring soon.
2) You, the customer, now have your dildos leave the FC within 3.5 hours of you hitting the buy button online to get your product to the distributor (FedEx, Postal Service, Amazon Last Mile) faster.

Still gently caress dayshift. They were leaving messes behind for months and management didn't care until this new system update came down and made everyone run around screaming in panic.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

poo poo like that is why I used to always get my boss's numbers. Half of them never realized it was a form of free caller ID. Nope, just gonna let this one ring...

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I always have the trouble with that. I say "right to work" then go "wait, no that's union busting...what was it again?" And it's 50/50 if I can remember "At Will Employment." Of course I think most At Will states are also Right To Work.

But yeah if you're At Will only give exactly the number of fucks it takes to get through the day. Your company doesn't even give you that many.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I was sure it was a massive minority that wasn't, but I wasn't expecting it to be only one state.

My statement stands though. Don't give a gently caress, management will use your caring to grind you down until you're nothing and then fire you because they burnt you up.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Yeah that poo poo is 110% correct. I work at one of the most productive facilities and we never get hit for rate because everyone hits it in our sleep here but it is totally something management will Fire Yo rear end over. Rate isn't actually that high but the Operations managers like to inflate it, or never tell us what our actual rate is just the "team goal" (which is where they start earning bonuses but we don't get poo poo since they took away our production bonuses in "return" for having a $15 minimum wage). Also as the article mentions TOT, Time Off Task. If you're logged into a rated process and your station is idle for more than 5 minutes. At 30 minutes the system tells your manager they need to do a "verbal warning" (i.e. talk to you), at an hour you get written up, at two hours the computer automatically fires you.

...Though to be fair, I'm trying to imagine a warehouse job that lets you sit on your rear end for 2 hours without getting in trouble.

I can really only talk about my department (Outbound packing) at my building but rate is mainly held over our heads as a "If you go fast we might offer time off and let you go home early" carrot. But other sites, especially new sites, can be utter clusterfucks full of untrained people and I can see that poo poo happening constantly. Scratch that, I know that rate-based firings happen constantly. Amazon wants its workers to keep its nose to the grindstone more or less all night.

As a side note, I've personally never really had issues with hitting a bathroom break screwing up my rate. But then again I avoid the super-heavy rate processes like the plague.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Doctor's orders: Can't lift over head, lift even with shoulder or push poo poo for more than 4 hours with right arm/shoulder
Me: I'm on 4 hrs shifts like others with similar doctors orders have been?
Safety: Eh, most likely
Senior Ops: OH HEY YOU'RE BIG AND TALL, WE'LL PUT YOU IN SINGLES LARGES WHERE YOU'RE TALLER THAN ANYTHING AND THE RATE IS LOW. THIS SATISFIES ALL YOUR WORKER ACCOMODATIONS. NORMAL 10 HOUR SHIFTS.
Me: Ugh...I'd be angrier if Singles Larges wasn't Ultra Babby Mode for me. I can see in the totes so I can avoid most of the ones with weighted blankets (which every Amazon Associate will tell you are made of PURE EVIL AND LEAD)
Safety: Oh and you're *technically* on worker's comp so you can't come in after break to heat your shoulder.
Junior Ops/Floor Manager: The system's being dumb because your transfer was half-assed, you're like a ghost in the system that makes everything freak out when we try to count you. And you're injured and healing. Wanna just go home early tonight and save both of us this headache?
Me: Yeah sure.

There's this new-ish system that management uses. Before it was all "Eh, we just need people here, here and here" and people would fill in, but now they have to virtually sign us in to give us a VIRTUAL location so the computer can BALANCE THE LOAD (it never works) and my transfer to Singles was so hosed up I might as well have been named [DROP_TABLE] and it would reset everything.

Edit: on the "Organic" poo poo my previous job was in a health-food kitchen and my eyes just glaze over on "gluten free" now. Like our stuff was okay, gluten free mini dessert pies (the crusts were made out of a mixture of macerated dates, crushed pecans and coconut flakes) and other creative stuff. Then the front of the store would sell vendor stuff and you'd see GLUTEN FREE WATER, GLUTEN FREE COCONUT YOGURT, GLUTEN FREE RICE CAKES, GLUTEN FREE ALMONDS.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 30, 2019

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Volmarias posted:

Dumb as it occasionally is, I have a little kid with celiac and having voluntary labeling with federal regulations backing them up is extremely helpful. Gluten gets into all kinds of weird product uses (soups! playdoh! candy! chips!) so being able to pick up processed food that's nominally totally unrelated to wheat which I can know is safe is pretty huge.

I thought it was weird that our shop was GLUTEN FREE...except for ONE ITEM. For the longest time we had "whole wheat pita chips." We ordered whole wheat pita bread from our supplier, cut them up into pieces, lay them out on a sheet pan, dust paprika over them and roast them for fifteen minutes. Add to a bag and sell at an absurd markup and you've got your health food.

Like...we're using the same oven for our gluten free brownies and anything else? No worries about cross contamination? Whatever you're paying me $10.50/hour to bake this poo poo that's sold to rich white people who totally have celiac because they got gas one time after eating a slice of wheat bread. Not paid enough to care.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Leal posted:

Well that was fun at work today.

This is a forklift, specifically the one I use at work.

This is a roll of shrink wrap. Someone put a pretty sizable roll of shrink wrap on top of the overhead guard. You may have noticed that there is some gaps in the overhead guard. When I drove out of the fridge the plastic curtains grabbed the shrink wrap roll and dragged it through one of the holes, hitting me in the head which made me panic and stop the forklift, taking my hand off the handle and resting it on the "dashboard". Well the shrink wrap then decided to land right side up onto the tip of my ring finger.

poo poo loving hurt

For a second I thought you were gonna say someone wrapped your forklift to the pallet. I've seen it with pallet jacks which is always funny.

One may ask how one fully wraps a pallet jack to a palleted load, it's easy. Amazon has automated wrapping machines. You place the pallet on the turntable, forget to remove the jack, hit start. Thankfully it's an easy fix, just not easy or fast enough to get away with without anyone else noticing. :v:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

"But it's plaaaaastic! How can that be heavy/dangerous?"

Slap enough of anything in one package and it becomes dangerous. Yeah whoever did that needs a good talking to (or beating)

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Leal posted:

Sadly I have come to learn that Sonic the Hedgehog as accompanied by Gangster's Paradise is in fact not a concussion induced hallucination.

And here I was thinking that entire incident would be the most distressing thing to happen to me today.

I just envy the fact that you had a short period of time where you were able to believe it was a hallucination. I realize this is not the thread for it but goddamn. Everything looks okay-ish, and workable, there are some interesting decisions here and there and the CGI model is not the best but it's okay. Then you get a chance to see what Sonic's mouth looks like when open and the gaping maw of horror can never be forgotten or forgiven.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Ritznit posted:

You can look forward to having to sell merch for that movie! :v:

The one time that Funko Pop dolls will be the superior merch. :v:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Your manager forgot you were taking the day off until the truck was there and by thin they'd already micromanaged everyone else into unnecessary nitpicking bullshit. So their options were "let it sit" "call you on your day off" or "admit they were wrong to an underling"

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

And if you do go in, you have set a precedent that they will expect you to respond to from that point onwards. Just accept that tomorrow's gonna suck and move on with your life.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Funktastic posted:

Y'know if you're going to steal money from the registers you should check to make sure there's no cameras above you and no one counts the money.

Like...in this day and age who doesn't know there WILL be cameras above and the money will be counted? Even in small family-run shops there will be cameras watching you.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Dear Back Half Crew at my Amazon FC, especially Days: I'M SO SORRY THAT I'M NOT SORRY FOR WHAT'S ABOUT TO HAPPEN TO YOU! Oh boy, the next three days are gonna be magical* and they're my days off. And management has to jump through so many hoops to change somene's shift/give them mandatory overtime at short notice that the best they can realistically do is offer me Voluntary Extra Time and I'm on medical accommodations for a pulled shoulder so I'm ineligible for those. I cannot be called in.

Sunday is Mother's Day (hug yo momma, call her, get her a gift, etc.), I'll give you three guesses what that does to Amazon's volume (especially giftwrap) and the first two don't count. So when I go in Sunday night it's gonna be busy. But that's Sunday, it's gonna be ramping up before then. So here's the deal: Texas (and much of the Great Plains) have been having a bit of rain and thunder. How is an Amazon shipdock like a public swimming pool? Both shut down for 30 minutes when they hear thunder. So last couple of nights have already been kinda heavy as we covered for what day shift simply could not get out of the building.

The forecast for the next three days? RAIN AND THUNDER!

*Magic may actually involve panic and fire and screaming

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Toraen posted:

We already have the panic/fire/screaming at my fc (in inbound). We WERE at a mere 70k backlog a week ago, and then a train dropped off enough to put us over 1 million in backlog. That was all in one night. This has made our problem solve areas nightmares because vendors apparently refuse to properly barcode their stuff ever. We finally rolled out the chargeback ticket app for dealing with that but it'll probably be a couple months before we see the impact in reduced problem solve.

Next week I am on the problem solve kaizen (buzzword for 'improvement project') so RIP my shift I guess. Maybe the kaizen will make it less poo poo to label many thousands of items per night. Getting a desk back for the dock PS area would be a good start.

Wait is your FC at a railyard? That sounds awesome/terrifying. Also...1 million backlog is some nightmare stuff, I can see why you were in the magic fire and screaming mood. :stonk: My FC hasn't done a million of anything in a day since Peak 2017. By Peak 2018 enough other Amazon facilities had come online in Texas that Peak 2018 was just a handful of nights of overtime.

Anyways, keep on trucking. Unless you're the one inbound PS who wraps the ASIN barcodes around the round items like an rear end in a top hat. I swear there's one at every FC wrapping the barcode around vitamin pill bottles so scanners can't read them. And yeah vendors are the worst. I wanna stab whatever jackass at Apple who decided that all the Mac peripherals have to have the smallest barcodes possible, and make them a grey-on-white that our scanners have a hard time reading.

Edit:

That would be a version of The Purge I'd be up for seeing. Some Wal-Mart associate just taking a chain from Automotive and going to town on some entitled boomer.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 9, 2019

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Toraen posted:

No we're not at a railyard, but apparently a train brought over a mess of trailers which were then all driven to our yard at once. This was heard through the rumor mill so it could be inaccurate. We're obviously not doing that 1 million in a single day like peaks of years past (shift goal last night was 190k), but yeah that number came as a huge shock since we were really on top of the backlog right up until that night.

I hate the Mac peripherals too, especially because they are technically valid barcodes so we can't chargeback for them. We're not even supposed to print labels to make them easier to scan, since it's seen as a waste of time (to be fair to that, we don't have time for them - downstream just gonna have to deal). The ones I fix are mostly from FBA sellers who didn't follow the instructions for X-stickering their items (though we get unscannable/wrapped-around/non-linked/no barcodes too).

Hah, fair enough. I'm in outbound so I get the fun of dealing with all that poo poo you ain't got the time to fix. And when a stower doesn't break down a masterpack and I suddenly have an entire case of food bars sitting on my desk. Or trying to get the lovely rear end barcode on the side of a heavy as gently caress brown box case of protein shake (you know the ones) that our scanners can barely loving pick up. Or, yanno, just a plastic bag around a ball of fish hooks that someone in inbound was an entirely reasonable thing to stow in the network.

Not joking about that last one. Buddy of mine packing got one and went "what the gently caress!?" when he grabbed it and it pricked him through his gloves because it was basically a ziplock bag filled with fish hooks until they started poking out. He took it to the manager, manager was not happy. The next day he went from "not happy" to "about to choke a bitch" when he was covering for an inductor on a bathroom break and he got one himself.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Elmnt80 posted:

Lol, what cheap rear end chinese bargain bullshit is that? Besides the sucky parts you just described, all of those hook tips are going to be dulled or the points rolled so they are useless anyways. Makes me glad I buy owner bulk hooks from my local shop. :classiclol:

Well the hooks on the outside are gonna be dull, you have to realize this was a fist sized ball of fish hook barely contained by what was basically a ziplock bag. There was plenty of sharpness inside.

Said manager also had a doubletake moment one day where he caught someone had stuffed a giant hook into an envelope and he saw it going down the line. Like basically a billhook: not sharp but it sat with the curve and point up in the air. I mean, yes, the computer told them to put it in a JM9 envelope. No it obviously should not have gone in it since the hook had ripped out of the envelope before it even reached the shipping label printer.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Finally, Mother's Day is loving over! In addition to the additional sales (and thunderstorms shutting down Shipdock) which were all sorts of fun for Back Half, today was THE DAY which meant that no one was there. Day shift had over 50% attrition as people left early to spend time with their family (don't blame them) and nights had hardly anyone come in because, again, they were spending time with their family (again don't blame them).

So with an excess of work and not enough people every loving path in Outbound was slammed at work. Starting at 7:30 and all the way until nearly midnight every item was a C.P.T. (Critical Pack Time. In short: this package's truck is leaving IN THE HOUR).

Also Rage II is apparently coming out today or tomorrow or something because I kept getting the collectors editions. Those things are huge because they have a talking fish bust of a character in them. I eventually started to hold them up and go "WAAAAGE! PAAACKER WAAGE!" in a high pitched voice when I got one. I'm not sure if they sent me home early more because I'm still on medical accommodations or because they thought I was losing it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I think I've finally decided on the worst thing that Amazon ships/sells. It's not the floor tiling, or drinks, or break pads. It's the fish hooks. We had another run-in with fish hooks on the pack floor. This time he got it actually stuck in his hand after it went right through his glove. Thing about Amazon is that the business as a hole is squeamish about blood: it's a contaminant and if you're bleeding you're basically supposed to stay in spot and scream for help until someone helps lead you away to the medical office as you hold the wound shut.

Guy gets down to AMCARE, medical worker there takes one look and goes "Well, it's a minor cut alright. It's bleeding so you can't work on it. And it's on the palm of your hand which means I can't slap a bandaid on it because it will just fall right off. You're gonna have to go get stitches."

So what does management do? Guy carpools to work so he doesn't have his own ride, and while they need outside medical help (AMCARE's good for sprains or stabilizing you while the paramedics arrive, nothing in between) they don't want to spend the $800 or however much an ambulance will cost the building for a loving cut that's gonna take 3 stitches at most. Even Amazon kinda balks at that cost when it's not necessary.

So they hire an Uber. Yes, Amazon loving Ubered a worker to the ER room which is basically on the other side of the highway. Of course we're night shift so by the time he's all patched up the the Uber driver has hosed off to get some sleep, so how does Amazon get him back to work? They tell another worker "Hey, we'll basically give you a free hour off to go pick him up. Go stop by Wataburger or something if you want, just be back here within an hour."

Also tonight I discovered the new dumbest item I have packed and shipped. Truly the fact that someone made that and is supposedly making money off of it while I pack that poo poo in a box to be delivered to someone's doorstep is the surest sign that shame is not a virtue in today's modern economy, but a hindrance. Think of all the stupid, half-assed ideas we could all be making bank off of if we could sell vastly marked up water and still sleep soundly at night.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

My worst smell stories are fairly mild. Didn't have any real scent/stink related issues working as a food sample guy at Wal-Mart, nor in the kitchen. Amazon with the weird poo poo we pack? Yeah had a couple.

Worst Stink was this stupid little pig doll. Farts are a huge thing: coloring books, story books, fart/poo based toys and games for the kids, farting unicorn dolls and cotton candy called unicorn farts the whole deal. Got a farting pig. It's sitting in a plastic box with a poo poo-eating (or I guess just making GBS threads) grin on its face and the belly is sticking out through a "try me" hole. Thinking it will just make a rude noise I squeeze it. No noise? Squeeze it a few more times. Nothing? Eh, I'll pack it. Halfway through shoving it into the box the scent hits me and I realize the stupid thing's a stink bomb in a doll. I just start coughing as my eyes burn, and the entire wall, the packers on adjacent walls and the rebinner through the wall all start gagging and asking what it was the thing was so pungent and vile.

Worst smell: Working Black Friday 2017 I get a shipment with vanilla extract in it. Only the tiny little extract bottle is in a bigger box that doesn't fit the package I'm supposed to make. So I take the vanilla extract bottle out of the box, set it aside...and promptly knock it off my desk where it falls on the concrete floor and shatters. The entire area now smelled of sheet cake for the rest of the 12 hour shift which left me exhausted and hungry on top of everything else that night.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

That poo poo sounds so Amazon. I really have no thoughts on it other than that. I'd have to see/play them myself to really have an opinion. Though at the same time I feel I'd be in the "play once, never play again" group since in most paths I end up in I'm considered a great worker since I always hit rate...but there are some people out there who are in a league of their own.

I want to give actual numbers to say how crazy some people are but the one thing they remind us of is we're not supposed to actually state our rates and SA doesn't feel anonymous enough for me to do that. Big Brother Peccy Is Watching. :tinfoil: Yes the rates do exist and honestly it's like any other job: if management wants to fire you you're fired. They're just another tool in the toolbox for them to use or ignore.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

My question for Amazon is, with the rumor of their self-driving delivery cars...how the gently caress do you insure the customer only takes their box and not every single one in the truck?

Simple: you promise the moon and then put a few office interns on it just so you look like you're doing something as their office generates promotional material and then do jack poo poo because the idea of self driving vehicles with modern technology is laughable.

Amazon knows what automation can and can't do because the entire company is based around it. Amazon engineers intimately familiar with the frustrations of just getting a robot arm to stack the company's standardized yellow plastic item totes in a controlled environment. A self driving car on a road full of humans? Yeah not happening.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I think they're supposed to be advertising flyers and it's kind of a detriment if the potential customer can't read them.

Anyways, my mini rant:
My mom at least once a week when I worked 60 hour weeks on the regular: "Haven't you thought about getting another, better job?"
Me: "Yeah, with what time? And how many kitchen jobs you got hanging around making $11/hour WITH insurance?"

My mom every other time she catches me coming in during the night after getting VTO'd from Amazon: "Are you hurt? Oh, you just went home early? Haven't you thought about getting another, better job with more hours?"
Me: [takes a moment to swallow my rage at her boomer incomprehension because she is my mother and I love her] "You got another job lined up for me that pays better than $15.60/hour with Amazon's absolutely bonkers insurance?"

Like I know she wants me get the boomer fantasy of "well paying office job" but where exactly are those? I came home early tonight because it's a paid holiday at Amazon. Which means 1.5x pay, which means everyone and their dog is in and no one wants to leave. I wanted to stay the entire night but so did everyone else and we had light work. I left because I realized I was at the point that if I got asked if I wanted VTO one more loving time from one more manager I'd chuck a box at their head and I'd like to still have a job tomorrow. As poo poo as a job at Amazon is, I've worked so many worse ones. And besides, Amazon still gives me a free 8 hours of holiday pay just for being scheduled to work on a Federal holiday even if I don't show up so I'm not exactly hurting for wages.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Star Man posted:

I'd like to know where in Wyoming I can find a job that pays $24k per year. I have no idea what the gently caress even pays that much or more around here that isn't trucking, oil, or teaching.

Probably something that destroys your body.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Someone in the USPol thread posted an article a few weeks back (don't ask me to find it, that thread can grow 20 pages in a day) that if minimum raise had kept up with Wall Street bonuses it would be $33/hour today.

I live in Texas and boy howdy I'm glad to get $15.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Zeth posted:

You only get that twice a year? We have it quarterly. It's not long but drat if I couldn't get at least SOMETHING done in that time.

We've been getting a set of safety videos, freshly made by our in-house safety people (and not entirely cringeworthy, I am surprised) with help from our ASL interpreters (our site hires a decent amount of deaf people). I mean I'm on the clock, so it's their time so if they want to tell us to stand down for 30 minutes before our first break once a week so we effectively get an hour long break. You can tell I've been paying attention from the fact that I now know the warning signs of power tools and not catch hypothermia or heat exhaustion in the facility without the proper training and permissions.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Pentaghastly posted:

We had a freak thunderstorm an hour ago and I had to yell over the sound of hail pounding on our building to get customers in the hallway.

Dumb motherfuckers just standing right against our big rear end windows watching as our patio furniture slides around outside, recording with their phones. No self-preservation instinct whatsoever.

I feel it comes down to "has this person ever been in actual severe weather." If they haven't there's this huge disconnect where they go "But...but...the glass will protect me! I'm inside therefore I'm safe!"

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Since I don't technically work in retail (just retail adjacent at Amazon) I feel I should share a couple of my stories about when I worked handing food samples at Wal-Mart. I was a food sample minion event specialist for Crossmark for three years which had its up and down. As a part-time job getting paid $10.25/hour basically handing free cookies to people and directing them to where they can get more is an easy as gently caress job. Fit well with my schedule as a part-time student and let me start paying off my loans while I was still studying. Of course it was a contract-work gig and I didn't really have a boss on-site. In fact I saw my supervisor maybe once every month or two since their area of responsibility was basically east New Mexico and west Texas. In Lubbock I had 4 stores I bounced between, with my usual store where I was friends with everyone, some older ones...and the one with a lady I like to call "Thumb Manager."

Thumb Manager was...well smiling blonde zone manager a Wal-Mart with no soul or cheer behind said smile and eyes. I'm sure you can imagine her from that description. Now technically she's not my boss, none of the Wal-Mart staff are, but it's their store and I'm a guest so I'm gonna try to avoid making waves. She's the ZM for grocery and it's her house so when she comes up to me and informs me that I'm not allowed to serve Associates on the floor I'm all "Okay, whatever. Your house, your rules." It was a bit strange considering everywhere else I went I and every other "event specialist" made a habit of giving the associates as much as they wanted because a) they work at Wal-Mart and we know it sucks and b) it makes them a lot more likely to make our job easier because they want us on the floor. It's when she immediately snaps an item off my cart and gives me the smuggest loving grin that shits get real. I nod, smile and then proceed to quietly declare war on her.

She gets me a second time at a later event, but the third time I run into her I saw her coming and cut her off, blocking her hand with mine. "I'm sorry ma'am, I have been informed that I am not allowed to serve Associates at this store."

*Sputter*

"Sorry Ma'am, I don't set the rules. And no, you are not my boss. I do not work for you or anyone else here. I work for a company that works for your company. These decisions are made above my paygrade."

Thus started her trying to steal samples from my cart or try to find a way to boss me around every time she saw me working. Now I'm not the only Crossmark person there, the company does (well did, I haven't really kept tabs on them) a lot of work managing advertisements and such in the store. So I'd see other Crossmark people in all the stores I worked in. A couple commented that when they'd see me in the other locations I was chill, often reading between customers. At that site I was hyper vigilant.

Then a bit later I broke my foot and couldn't work for a while so I don't see her, she doesn't see me. When I can work my manager is all "Hey, just try to do at least half a shift if you can. Also use the company card to buy a chair in addition to your food. No I don't expect you to loving stand." While technically he was sending me back a bit early to get HR off his back, he was setting me up with the easiest jobs he could, and always scheduling another event at the store so I'd have help.

A couple events later I get one at that store. And sure enough here comes Thumb Manager. She sees me sitting down behind my cart and whatever else she knows, she's very sure that I should be standing behind my cart. So she marches up and asks me why I'm sitting and not standing. Yadda-yadda-yadda. Normally I was polite but firm to her. That day I was on Hydrocodine but still hurting enough to be mostly sober through it, so I am taking none of her usual bullshit. I just gave her the dirtiest look and threw down the gauntlet. By which I mean the giant plastic splint I had my leg in since I was no longer in a cast. It comes out from behind the cart with a giant thud and stops her mid-rant as I just stared at her. Watching her just swallow the foot she had shoved into her mouth and walk off was delicious.

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Also, I got yelled at by a 60ish woman today because she wanted light ice ("eight or nine cubes") in her drink and didn't get it. I walked away from the window to get it fixed, and she's hollering at me through the window about how "this is unacceptable" and "that's not light ice". I handed her the new drink, and she just kept ranting after I said "yes ma'am, thank you, have a nice day" and she began to drive off. Jesus Sharon, do you have nothing else going on in your life?

At that age, she might very well not. I noticed my oldest customers were the ones who were most likely to just take any chance they had to talk on and on and on and on. The worst one was a lady I mentally called "Granny Hippy." All sorts of new age crystals and junk on her body, and a wooden necklace that was basically three-wolf-moon in necklace form. I had her at my cart twice and I swear she just kept going on and on about her family until she had talked to me more than some of my regulars. She just did not stop and I couldn't get a word in edgewise until some other customers basically came in, and even then she didn't give up the chase easily. Second time was the same thing but my savior was Loss Preventing coming by and pretending to be a customer.

Third time Loss Prevention warned me and I went "I'm going on break."

"What?"

"What part of 'Eat the rest of my samples and I am going on loving break before she sees me' do you not understand!?"

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

ijii posted:

Pretty sad when we have to come up with ideas to separate ourselves from chatty loners. A while back at one particular store it was kind of bad. When one of us got stuck with one of the several chatty regulars, another employee would get on the intercom "xxxx, you have a phone call on line 2." or "xxxx, please come to the manager's office", or "xxxx, we need a service 82". I really hated when they'd call us and chat, WTF lady, please leave us alone.

There's just this weird progression of emotions as you run into them for the first time. It starts with shock and relief that you found a friendly customer. They almost always start being pleasant, often with a compliment on your service even. Then confusion as they start going on and on about their family relatives or some other random subject. Finally a dawning horror that you're gonna be here five, ten, fifteen minutes if you can't find a way to escape because you can't really tell them off because you're at work. Your job relies on being polite to customers, at least once that are nice to you.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Sankis posted:

You did. Welcome.

Edit: hope you liked high school

When I was a kid I was told highschool was something that everyone would really forget and be in the past.

As an adult I now know that's true, but not because highschool politics ends and people grow up. In reality every job is like going to a brand new highschool where you have to learn the new rules and cliques. It's just that no one cares about what you did 5-10 years ago.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Had an area manager loving lose an Associate at Amazon this week. Just...sometimes you wonder if intelligence is actively a detriment to getting promoted.

Me and another Singles packer, [M], were labor shared to RSP (Robotic Storage Pen, the storage area full of shelving units carried around by robots) delivering empty totes. Basically take cart loads of empty totes from the pack area (AFE/Multipack departments have a fancy-schmancy conveyor belt that takes them to a machine on the first floor that auto-stacks them, the Singles lines don't have that and we rely on muscle power to move them) and store them in the Pick areas to load into the Pickers' stations.

After a bit I notice [M] is standing about and I tease her about standing around on the job. Nope, turned out she hurt herself, just a strained wrist but enough to want to go down to AMCARE (Amazon Medical Care, our on-site nurse's office where they check you out and see if you need a bandaid, some heat/ice or to get rushed to the ER) and get it checked out. She's standing at the stairs fuming because she told the Pick Manager "Oh hey, I'm hurt, I need to go to AMCARE", because just to make sure we're not loving around policy is we need to be walked down with a manager. Manager said "Okay!" and then...apparently walked away, the wrong direction? I'm not exactly clear on what happened. [M] is pissed and confused, but doesn't want to leave the spot just in case the manager comes back.

About 30 feet away is the area's control center and the assistant manager standing there having a furious IM conversation with someone in the building. It turns out the manager walked herself down to AMCARE expecting [M] to head down and meet her there. She's got her laptop open and is furiously texting messages like "Where's [Other name that starts with M]" While the assistant manager's going "Who the hell is that?"

I lean over and ask "Hey man where's your manger?"
"On the first floor, why?"
"Uh, [M] over here was waiting on her to take her down to AMCARE?"
"Oh you have got to be kidding me..."

Later on said manager saw I was lagging a bit since I'm not used to pushing carts all night. Nice and helpful and all only she's this tiny little lady who's like 4'6" and the carts when fully loaded are like 4'5". I was kinda glad she only helped me with one cart because I was fairly certain that she couldn't see and was only able to get through that crowded area by following me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Cory Parsnipson posted:

Man this reads like a passage out of some YA dystopian fiction. We are already in the future, and it loving sucks.

She was more clueless than a jackass. When she got back from losing an associate she actively tried to help just...it was in the worst way ever since it involved pushing a cart that she had to stand on her toes to see over/past.

But yeah, working at Amazon is basically working in a security state cyberpunk dystopia at times. To keep us from stealing there are cameras all over the place (mostly the entrances and the dock doors), the cameras on the front entrance are linked to facial recognition computers to make sure that someone else isn't using your badge to scan in/out. Oh, and we have to walk through metal detectors on the way out. It's not really a big deal since the security types are chill and there are more detectors side-by-side than most major international airports put at their entrances so it's quick. You quickly grow numb to it but every now and then it just hits you that as a kid we were promised all of this but also really cool cybernetic augmentations and poo poo...and all we got is "Big Brother Peccy Is Watching You."

(Peccy/Peculiar Guy being the Amazon FC mascot)