Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Leal posted:

At work we didn't get loads on Sundays. Well now that is being changed, which means now that we get a load 7 days a week each load will be smaller. Meaning I'll finish breaking the load earlier. Which means I'll have to step out on the floor and do work. The floor I thought I escaped getting this job. And now I'll be working more Sundays, with all the good catholics taking family trips with their bored as hell children who had to sit down and shut up for mass.

Fuuuuu :byodood:

To be clear, you're saying that you miss getting a huge load?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The Aardvark posted:

Back to School is starting and they cut hours.

School literally just let out like a week ago and the summer stock is mostly gone, what the gently caress retail america

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

Eliminating all coins below quarters is a change I could get behind :haw:

:same:

But not joking. Pennies at least need to die, immediately.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Maybe we can outlaw crime while we're talking about shoulda wouldas? Why hasn't anyone thought of that one? Maybe we can expand it to outlawing immoral behaviour, just in general?

This is the worst derail. Sorry that you have to touch money sometimes, please run for office so that the rest of Australia can enjoy your impassioned arguments.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

She calls the store when she's falling asleep at night.

You've buried the lede so deep in this one

Does she call just to let them know she's going to her deep slumber and cannot be awakened until the dawn?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

If this happened after discovering the wage theft and discussing action about it, there's no reason to think this wouldn't be retaliation, even if there's the fig leaf of insubordination. I guess it depends on the timeline.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Did he get a little off the top for good behavior?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Hiring your customers is usually going to end poorly too.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Pentaghastly posted:

Somebody nutted in the men's bathroom.

In the corner.

And put toilet paper over it.

At least they were polite enough to cover the mess :angel:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Pentaghastly posted:

We have a serial nutter on our hands.

Please keep us informed on every nutting

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Telephones posted:

I loving hate my retail job. At the end of my shift last night I was pulled into a room where three managers really let me have it. They brought up a big list of things that I'm doing wrong - a number of the things they want me to be doing are contradictory - and they're acting as is anything less than 100% maximal efficiency is me being an rear end in a top hat. Like if my stocking cart isn't 100% absolutely full every time, then I'm basically wasting their money - BUT I can't put the volumes of trash that accumulate in a little bin out of the way, it has to go back on top of the fully stocked cart which I'm supposed to be working from?? Like, these are produce boxes with lots of papers and plastics and separators in them, how am I supposed to keep the compost separate from the recycling separate from the trash like they want me to? gently caress! They said that my work has been in continual decline and that they were really excited to hire me but that I've just been a disappointment and they looked like they meant it, like I had really let them down and hurt their feelings. This is after I was literally lying completely on the ground to clean under their tables and shelves, after we got so much done literally everyone was walking around looking for poo poo to do.

In addition to this, one of these managers is constantly going on about how I'm so loving cute and tall and have such a nice face and trying to be super friendly but it makes me ultra-uncomfortable, especially since she seems to take it very personally every time my work is a step out of line. I know for a fact she is directly bad mouthing me to her superiors and exaggerating and occasionally straight up lying as a result of this.

I don't know, I just feel emotionally beat up by it. I think I do my job pretty well, I get all my work done. They just keep upping the standards, I feel like, giving me more and more responsibility, and don't tell me when I'm doing something wrong. Like, my other boss has been slapping me on the back and saying "GOOD JOB, TELEPHONES" every time I've seen him. I don't give 110%, but... so loving what?

I don't know, am I being a piece of poo poo? And did I gently caress up in not being better friends with my manager who wants to be friends with me? I felt like I was well within my rights to keep my relationship with her light and professional, but that seems to have come back around to bite me. This poo poo is infuriating, the job is mindless but I can't stop thinking about it.

They're just trying to guilt trip you into thinking that any bullshit they pull on you is your fault and that you're somehow deserving of it. Do never be friends with anyone who treats you this way.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The Lord Bude posted:

wait; are you telling me American banks have loving drive-thru like a Mcdonalds?

I remember these from when I was a kid. You had the teller window attached to the bank, but there might also be several additional lanes. But, you're so far from the window, how could you possibly do your transactions?

Pneumatic
loving
Tubes

Having my parents let me put the bank slip into a container, putting the container into a tube, then watching it whiz away before whizzing back with a receipt or money or whatever was super neat to tiny me

:unsmith: memories

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Cowslips Warren posted:

For most of the US, is Black Friday even a thing when most places are loving open Thanksgiving?

The store might be open but the sale prices aren't there yet.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Zenithe posted:

Do not do this.

Toilets still work without power.

Do not clean up someone else's jizz for minimum wage.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Pentaghastly posted:

Is there some kind of rule about time a half? Because I worked 9 hours on new years day, but I only got paid for eight

Depends on your state. There's no federal law for hours in the day, just for hours in a week.

https://employment.findlaw.com/wages-and-benefits/state-minimum-wage-laws.html

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

MC Hawking posted:

Better than the mushroom farm tho dude, don't forget.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

therobit posted:

Star Man you should:
1) Move

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Star Man posted:

During my stint as an admin assistant at an indoor mushroom farm, I took an application that was mostly blank. All it had on it was the guy's name, phone number, the name of his last place of employment that was an oil field in Texas (but no number or address), no references, and just "hard worker" on it.

He forgot the most important part of Grandpa's advice, which is to barge into the managers office and not leave until he's employed or thrown out. Whoops.

He also forgot to flirt with you, leading to your eventual marriage

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Star Man posted:

It's my birthday and I should be allowed to drink on the job today.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

therobit posted:

Have you considered drinking on the job?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Preechr posted:

...the gently caress? You’re supposed to tip at a Sonic’s?

This is news to me. It's fast food, when have you ever tipped at a Wendy's?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Yawgmoth posted:

you could probably get a good number of republican votes on this platform

Only if the dog is large and brown though, like a chocolate lab or something.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

gamingCaffeinator posted:

I hate when people ask me for a recommendation and then bitch about it. Just had a lady who asked if I thought she'd need an extra shot in her cold brew, and I said no. poo poo's strong, you should be fine. She literally called in fifteen minutes later to bitch about how I told her it'd be fine but it wasn't, and also that her coffee wasn't full because we didn't have it sloshing out of the top of the lid. Obnoxious cow.

Take solace in the fact that this person would have called to complain no matter what you did, since that's their only joy in life.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The Lord Bude posted:

A bigger question is why there is going to be a line of toys for what is most definitely not a kids movie. There are going to be lots of pissed off idiot parents storming out of cinemas when that movie comes out

Yeah I had to explain to my kids that this was a grown up Pokémon movie and not a kids Pokémon movie sorry.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

SomeJazzyRat posted:

It's a film with a talking animal solving crimes. How is it not appropriate for young kids?

If it's the whole parent murder things, then I'll be sure to move it to the higher shelf full of 'Not for Kiddo' films like Harry Potter and Lion King.

Hmm, I didn't realize they aimed for PG, I assumed it would be PG-13 since they'd want adults and they're going live action with a slightly bleak outlook.

Perhaps they should go after all :unsmith:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Odonata posted:

A custimer calls the bakery...
"Do you make any white cakes?"
Yes, we make make either a vanilla or lemon white cake.
"Oh, you don't make chocolate cakes? That's too bad. I was hoping for a chocolate cake."
I must have misunderstood you the first time. Yes, we also make chocolate cake.
"What I really want is a chocolate cake with white frosting."
We can put white frosting on a chocolate cake. No problem.
"Oh. Well, I was hoping that the frosting could be pink."
We can put pink frosting on a chocolate cake.
"No! I want white frosting on the cake and I want it to be pink."
Pink... white frosting? Sure. Why not? I can follow the bouncing ball that is your train of thought
"Oh, and it needs to be peppermint. Can you make it with peppermint flavored white frosting?"
So you really want white pepermint frosting? Or do you want pink peppermint frosting?
"Yes."
Which one?
"I told you! I want a white cake, and it needs to be chocolate, and it needs to have pink frosting."

The warm embrace of death can not come fast enough.

They want a chocolate cake with white frosting spread over it, and pink frosting piped around the edge.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Give less of a gently caress

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Try less harder

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

How Amazon automatically tracks and fires warehouse workers for ‘productivity’

quote:

Documents show how the company tracks and terminates workers

The documents also show a deeply automated tracking and termination process. “Amazon’s system tracks the rates of each individual associate’s productivity,” according to the letter, “and automatically generates any warnings or terminations regarding quality or productivity without input from supervisors.” (Amazon says supervisors are able to override the process.)

Critics see the system as a machine that only sees numbers, not people. “One of the things that we hear consistently from workers is that they are treated like robots in effect because they’re monitored and supervised by these automated systems,” Mitchell says. “They’re monitored and supervised by robots.”

Alkydere, please confirm/deny this breathless report

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Yeah but people are thinking CRISPR, not Mendel's peapods.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Dumb as it occasionally is, I have a little kid with celiac and having voluntary labeling with federal regulations backing them up is extremely helpful. Gluten gets into all kinds of weird product uses (soups! playdoh! candy! chips!) so being able to pick up processed food that's nominally totally unrelated to wheat which I can know is safe is pretty huge.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Pentaghastly posted:

Regardless, our SM is violating labor laws and I just snitched.

:allears:

quote:

And I’ve got more material to go in his file if HR needs it.

:magical:

Don't forget, HR exists to protect the company, not you. If you don't one shot this guy, they might back him up in retaliating against you.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Pentaghastly posted:

My plan since I have the day off is to call the partner resource line since and tell them my concerns. But I can also call the DOL and give them a tip. I might also add I haven’t been paid for any overtime even though I’m pretty drat sure I’ve been working ~43 hour weeks for the last month and even though I feel like I’m the only person who looks at my paystubs at my job I’m sure a lot of other people’s punches may have been altered.

I’ve written down everything with approximate dates of when they occurred, too. I am PREPARED

Oh man, systemic and provable wage theft is like, the one thing they will always have a raging legal for. Don't contact HR, contact the labor department for your state.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

It sounds like they were closer than they think since they were letting these people just hang around their store and enjoy the place like it was their own.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

I won't poo poo up the thread with long and mostly interesting unemployment comp stories .

:justpost:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Are you going to clone Boomers from the blood mosquitos sucked before they were caught in a grease trap?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Uhh where I work management can't get fired because we have durable contracts specifying the position, requirements and KSAs and all the employees are unionized and so can't be fired because they've got a CBA so you've gotta officially gently caress up* to get fired on either end.

Don't you work in a hospital as an anesthesiologist or something?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Thanks for that great and not at all obvious idea.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

MC Hawking posted:

Like it legitimately boggles my mind that we haven't seen blockbuster expose articles on Bezos using prison labor. That's the next step before full automation and I cannot believe that he hasn't gotten onto that grift in some aspects of his corporation.

That's the very last thing he needs, PR and labor wise. He's probably content to be considered one of the only book sources for prisons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Alkydere posted:

Simple: you promise the moon and then put a few office interns on it just so you look like you're doing something as their office generates promotional material and then do jack poo poo because the idea of self driving vehicles with modern technology is laughable.

Amazon knows what automation can and can't do because the entire company is based around it. Amazon engineers intimately familiar with the frustrations of just getting a robot arm to stack the company's standardized yellow plastic item totes in a controlled environment. A self driving car on a road full of humans? Yeah not happening.

Uh, you realize that this is a huge area of investment, with actual breakthroughs and actual self driving car pilots programs, and autonomous cars and trucks are like 5 years out at this point, right?