Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Carbohydrates posted:

I've been making some little builds inspired by things I remember from my dad's garage when I was younger.

album

Got a couple more coming, but my last Bricklink order has been stuck in Thailand for a couple weeks now. Oh well!

They are loving amazing.

I'm gonna have to make some of these for my dad for his birthday, maybe a mini shed for him or something. He's got a load of woodworking equipment and stuff like the drill press and lathe would make him smile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

... Virtually anyone could throw those builds together ...

I presume you haven't actually looked at the set in detail. It looks to be a pretty solid interior build and there's probably some interesting technique involved to get some of the angles on that. Easily equivalent of any of the Modulars. It's a solid interior set design? I'd certainly consider buying it for that.

And yes, these are solid sales winners for Lego, so why the hell shouldn't they?

quote:

... just think it sucks that actual good Ideas winners get shut down in favor of these sets ...

A lot of Ideas sets that make it to the 10k will fail anyway because they completely miss the big guidelines. (For instance, in the review that had this approved, 1 involves Not Lego, 2 are basically the same, all 3 space ones wouldn't work well anyway as designed and compete with current products (And it's very likely, given that SpaceX stuff keeps failing, they aren't releasing a license), 2 are existing product lines. MAYBE the Fiat could have been in with a shot, but probably falls foul of existing line as well.)

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Carbohydrates posted:

FWIW I design 100% digitally. That is to say, every single car, mini modular, or other MOC I've ever posted in this thread was designed in Mecabricks, LDD, Stud.IO, or Ldraw first. It enables me to keep my costs down by not having a huge collection, and it makes iteration so much easier as I can make a thing, send my friend a screenshot, and he can give feedback as I go in for another round of edits.

There is a huge amount of shade in the community for people who build this way. I have been told plenty of times by people in my LUG or in the local Bricks & Minifigs store that the "correct" way to build involves being inspired by the pieces you have in front of you to create new things. At this point, I just don't even mention my process anymore because people get so lovely about it, saying that it's easier or less creative or "not a real MOC" or whatever. I don't need to be holding or playing with physical pieces to be inspired by them. I've been making poo poo out of LEGO for most of my life, and at this point, I have a pretty solid mental catalog of available pieces.

Also, because programs like Mecabricks update so fast, I can start working with and using brand new pieces before it's even possible to get them in my hands. My Grand Cherokee model uses 36840 in dark bluish gray to attach the rear bumper. This piece first came out in the Ninjago City Docks set in mid-2018, but it was leaked and available in Mecabricks before that. I didn't have to buy a brand new $250 set (or wait for Bricklink stores to start stocking them) to start playing around with this new piece, so that's nice.

Digital stuff for Lego is pretty great. I'd say the only disadvantage you have is that if you're predesigning digital for a physical build, you don't necessarily know how strong a joint is going to be. Apart from that though... it's always a good place to start if you've got the knack for it.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Yep, it's a known problem with brown (and I think dark red too). I'm not sure if it's the plastic or the pigment, but those colours are significantly more brittle than other colours.

Yup. This, by the way, is why precision parts like Mixel ball joints are only going to be grey. It's got better strength and tolerances.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
With this lockdown thing, I've had some time to get working on some models.

(Not quite finished) - The 'starlight pilgrim';

Album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/oleenanatiras/albums/72157713983930658

A cute little laser drone;

Album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/oleenanatiras/albums/72157713605956907

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

Those are both really great.

I would recommend 2 tiny changes on the first one though. Imo swap out the gray square plates behind the canopy for some wing parts that line up with it better or maybe just make them black so they don't stick out quite as much. I'd also probably make the round white vent printed tiles towards the front black, and either move that part where the gray ones are or get rid them.

That's a super slick looking shape for a ship though. i love it.

Cheers. I've done a little rework on the canopy to engine transition, and yeah, it does feel better (I also added a little whippy antenna in red and white for a shock of colour in the build.)

The triple-vent tiles on the side are gonna be a basis of a logo for printing custom stickers though; that bit might well change.

Olpainless fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Apr 23, 2020

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
I've finished this.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/oleenanatiras/albums/72157714023381401

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
I'm so glad I have a lightbox now (arrived earlier today...).

Finally took some proper photos of an old model that's been sat on the windowsill...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/oleenanatiras/albums/72157714090049426

'Uca' Heavy Industrial Mech - Oblique View

Lizard Combatant posted:

So for the hell of it I've started a minifig scale Enterprise (yes, I'm coping with isolation fine thanks for asking), honestly I'll probably stop after the bridge but it's fun to imagine.

Obviously I'd love to use custom printed pieces but I've tried to go with only what's available in studio and to make it as "legal" as possible (actually build-able and without stacking same size plates on top of each other), so here's my WIP so far of the bridge of the Enteprise (no bloody "A", "B", "C", or "D"... well technically the refit, as seen in Wrath of Khan)

I get this wont be most / many people's thing so sorry for the scroll fest.

This is pretty awesome, keep at it!

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
Carbohydrates - I see that shock absorber that can be in tension hiding there, and that's a genuinely clever solution if it works how I think it will. Nice.

I've nearly finished my SHIPtember project so I'll be flooding the thread with that shortly.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
My SHIPtember build is basically done, though I need to get ready to set up for proper glamour shots because this photo isn't great, it needs a proper lightbox and camera setup:

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
Globe is cool. I want one.

Not sure where it's gonna fit now because I've got this monster taking up room...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/oleenanatiras/albums/72157716103266837

SHIPtember 2020 - Hecate Heavy Fighter-Bomber

(Full set of photos in the album link.)

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Anias posted:

Going to need a video of you making pew pew noises, swooping it around, and cheesy bomb sounds.

(It’s great. I love the reversed arches)

I'll try but it's pretty heavy :v

Gonna pew pew no matter what though

Brawnfire posted:

I had a robocop toy that also did the same sounds

This is super loving cool

Thankyou!

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Can you stick normal Lego hair on them or do you just have an army of bald minidolls?

They're literally standard hair so yes.

Ineptitude posted:

And those matte soft hair pieces are COMPLETE AND UTTER GARBAGE! Argh!

I don't know where you're buying from because they are standard hair!

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

I’ve determined that 75% of making a Lego build look good in a photo is white background + lighting.

Yeah, decent photos make it.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
Well, the SHIPtember 2020 poster is out, and got to give hats off to noblebun for actually putting together this insane thing - a lot of builds this year!

(https://www.flickr.com/photos/noblebun/50503802093/in/feed-137034362-1603093325-1-72157716525318793)

The one that got Best Minifig scale looks very familiar to me... :v

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
Me and my wife spent our honeymoon in Rome, so the colosseum is actually pretty much a must-buy for both of us.

(My next SHIPTember project is also likely to be tan as a primary colour, so having a bunch more styles of bricks in production for that makes me happy)

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
Finally finished this very Ad-mech inspired walker, apart from designing and ordering some stickers:

Although, first world problems, my light box isn't big enough for this to fit in. Oops.

Carbohydrates posted:

I think I'm done working on this for right now. 2001 Mercury Cougar in dark green, a Speed Champions build of my partner's car when we first met.

Ha, that's awesome!

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

fappenmeister posted:

This is great. More mech pics please? What about the figure to the left of the photo?
Cheers!
As for the build in the back, that's an old build that is overdue a rework.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/oleenanatiras/r6D2zm

Chris Knight posted:

I crossed the steams. Total protonic reversal.

Good luck with your pile!

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
Stickers arrived today, and I've got a new oversized lightbox, so...

'Chevalier - Questant' Mech Destroyer - Cover

The ad-mech inspired build is done!

Full album and detail shots available at https://www.flickr.com/photos/oleenanatiras/albums/72157718398440661.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
Bubble wrap is a good choice as well. You can roll up wadges to provide padding for unusually-shaped models and then wrap the whole thing. It's solid.

Edit: And thanks for all the feedback and comments on the mech, everyone. Much appreciated.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

deoju posted:

The triangle tiles are pretty new and still uncommon. But the yellow one is really the problem. There has been only 1 set released with it and that set contained only one of them. Currently 4 lots (16 pieces total) of them are for sale on bricklink, compared to 2,931 lots of the 1 x 1 tile. :(

This is what Bricks and Pieces is made for. You can get obscene amounts of them.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
Hoverbike time!

https://flic.kr/p/2kRDnq5

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

That came out really good. Nice shaping all around.

Cheers!

It's got a base now.

Hoverbike WIP 2 by Andrew Spencer, on Flickr

Next job is to dig around for a better minifig outfit, and see if I can't get some stickering work done ready for the lightbox. Probably gonna refine the stand as well, I kinda of want to try and build up the wave/spray on the sticking-out blue parts.

Edit: Put together a (kinda provisional) glamour shot:

'Culverin' HX Sports Hoverbike by Andrew Spencer, on Flickr

Olpainless fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 8, 2021

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Carbohydrates posted:

We talkin' wish list parts now?

Like a super miniaturized version of this / the bottom 40% of this.

I want actual pythagorean triple wedges plates, slope bricks, etc. (Apart from the one ancient one which I think Nick Trotta owns the entire world's stock of at this point)

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Nth Doctor posted:

What part is this?

It's this.

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

I have two of these:

Sadly, they haven't been made in over 20 years.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Carbohydrates posted:

My brain is going to explode if I keep trying to read comments about the Everyone Is Awesome set (not on Brothers Brick ofc, but elsewhere). I'm used to, like, a certain level of discourse on particular political topics, and the poo poo getting flung around in comment sections is so remedial I don't even know where to begin. "How can you claim to be tolerant if you don't tolerate bigotry?" I can't believe I'm seeing that idea being brought up unironically. I'm going to have an aneurysm if I read this poo poo for even a second longer.

edit: On the plus side, I just learned that Brickset has (and uses) hellbans, and is busting 'em out for people posting the most hateful poo poo.

I'm honestly glad to see just about every major Lego fansite is cracking down on the chud fuckery at least.

The second June rolls on I'm ordering 2 of these. (One for the office, one for parts.)

Also, I've finally had the stickers arrive to finish another build off:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/oleenanatiras/albums/72157719232938648

'

KAZAKIRI - VV' Space Interceptor

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Prophet of Nixon posted:

That is infinitely rad! I want to swoop it around!

It is actually solid enough to swoosh and can detach from the base pretty easily... So yes, it has had swooshing!

Carbohydrates posted:

Oh I saw this on flickr this morning! It owns. Great attention to detail just all over it, but I especially love the inverted cockpit and how it's set into the bodywork around it.

desiiiiiign streeeeeam at 7 CST (in 30 mins) let's have a Real Chill Time

Cheers! And might have to catch up on the stream later in the day.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
So I finished off another mech today. Going for a smaller one, to go with my previous admech-inspired design.

'Escuyer' Combat Drone - Front/Profile

Full album at: 'Escuyer' Combat Drone

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
Printed keys are confirmed.

It's a nice set and full of wonderful sand green.

Including the new Porsche curves.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
Titanic is ludicrous. And it seems lego are definitely targeting adult collectors as a priority now...

But, speaking of ships...

SHIPtember is about done and just got mine finished. Doing the proper photography tomorrow though.

Pew pew.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
Finished the photoshoot.

SHIPTember 2021 - Apocalypse-Class Battleship 'Apostolus divinae gloriae' - Glamour Shot

Full album:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/oleenanatiras/albums/72157719941505936

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
Vics are fun.

Generally you'll be looking at a lot of hinge stuff to get the colour blocking right on the prongs.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

Man, I love when something comes together perfectly after some frustration. Spent like 2 hours this evening fumbling around trying to make the mandibles (? for lack of a better term. I'll call them that because that's what people always call the pointy things on the Millenium Falcon) work on Vic Viper, then realized I was over complicating the poo poo out of it and then all of a sudden they went together like clockwork in 15 minutes. Also totally redesigned the front end of the fuselage and figured out how I am going to reinforce the whole build in the back of my head. Over the course of an hour it went from a MOC I was thinking about throwing into the bin into something I think will be easily the best MOC I have ever made and the best Lego version of the ship ( the actual ship, not the sub genre of moc building. too much competition there lol) around. It put me in a good mood.

I'm totally annoyed that I am basically out of White tiles now though lol. I guess it's time to Bricklink and play the waiting game.

I can't wait to see the result.

(I'm ordering ready for noVVember to build a triglavian inspired Vic because I'm insane)

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
I keep making spaceships, send help.

This one is (once again) EVE-inspired, based off Triglavian designs.

Really fun to work off the different angles, and just really, really wanted an excuse to use that orb in something, and this just fit the bill.

'Strzyga' Interceptor

https://flickr.com/photos/oleenanatiras/albums/72177720297803946

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Meaty Ore posted:

I wish I were skilled enough to make dope-rear end poo poo ship like that.

Carbohydrates posted:

I have zero motivation to stop you from making dope-rear end poo poo like this.

Brawnfire posted:

Very sick!

Cheers!
And honestly, sometimes the best move is to just start mashing bricks together with a rough image in your mind. It's fun!

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Carbohydrates posted:

Another seed part build. This time, the seed was the brick separator, which I have never used in a model before.

That's incredible.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Carbohydrates posted:

Another seed part build. This time, the seed was the brick separator, which I have never used in a model before.

Congratulations on your Brothers Brick feature!

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Zwille posted:

Oh my another sweet set

At some point they should make the whole decor for the lifestyle shots Lego :v:

I don't buy many sets for the set's sake nowadays, but this is utterly exceptional.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
Never not starfighter.

'Kitsune' Long-Range Fighter

Full gallery at https://www.flickr.com/photos/oleenanatiras/albums/72177720299567406

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Carbohydrates posted:

Speed Champions words time. Not a response to any specific person, but some general info on the theme as I understand it.

The ones retiring are not the "current run" - well, in the sense that they are currently still being produced, sure - but they are not the latest, or most current, 2022 models. They are the 2021 models, the second year of 8-wide production.

How cars get chosen:

In the early days of Speed Champions, the decision of what car(s) would be made into a set was largely in the hands of the manufacturers. In older interviews, LEGO stated that almost all the specific deals came from manufacturers approaching them with specific cars that they wanted made into sets. Typically, this was done with cross marketing in mind, so of course modern cars received far more focus because those are the ones the makes were pushing. In recent years, the Speed Champions team has far more autonomy. I'm not sure at exactly which point this transition happened, but in the 8-wide era, LEGO has much more frequently been able to choose specific cars that they wish to build in LEGO - ones that they think would translate particularly well. So why did LEGO bother making a Koenigsegg Jesko? Was it due to pressure from Koenigsegg? No, it's because they saw that distinctive rear wing situation and thought it would look great in LEGO, so they set up the license and built the car.

That said, auto manufacturers still have influence. IIRC LEGO simply wished to build the new Ford Bronco, but influence from Ford is why it ended up as the R variant specifically. Keeping this in mind, a manufacturer has essentially no reason to promote a defunct brand. To date, we have yet to see a car from a brand / line that does not exist anymore, such as Pontiac, Plymouth, Oldsmobile, or AMC. There's nothing stopping this from happening in the future, though, if LEGO wishes to pursue this and creates a convincing enough argument for doing so. I wouldn't hold my breath, though.

Who is this theme for:

The very intent behind the theme has changed over the years, too. When the theme debuted, it was in the 6-wide scale at least partially so that the cars could be dropped into minifig scale City layouts - this according to information from a Flickr post by LEGO designer Adam Grabowski. Over time, the focus changed to prioritize making accurate models of cars - models, moreso than toys. At that point, with scale compatibility no longer being important to the designers, moving to 8-wide made all the sense in the world. This transition happened around the same time as the introduction / push of 18+, and so another design ethos rose: these cars should have a build experience akin to a tiny Creator Expert set (according to a NewE interview with designer Christopher Stamp). They could be as complex and intricate as the designers wanted. With this new focus on the rise, the consideration of playability (like, as a playset) continued to recede. Side builds such as trophy stands, starting gates, and tool carts became less and less frequent, disappearing entirely in 2021.

Two packs have another specific purpose: cross-generational appeal. The idea is, a 2-pack will ideally consist of a car that's more appealing to a younger person, and a car that's more appealing to an older person, with the hope that it leads to parents building along with their children. Often, this takes the form of newer car / older car, but it doesn't always play out that way. This logic also kind of falls off when both cars in a 2-pack are newer, such as the 2021 Lambo set or the 2022 Mercedes set, so perhaps the intention behind 2-packs is changing, too. If that's the case, I do wonder what they're now trying to achieve, beyond "these two cars are from the same brand, so may as well throw 'em in a set together."

Other changes over time:

Speed Champions has introduced a lot of new pieces to the LEGO library. We have the theme to thank for various complex wheel arches, wheels and covers, tires, curved wedge slopes, chassis pieces, windscreens, axles, and more. Lately, the theme has taken a look at various specific areas of focus on a per-year basis. In 2020, the focus was on introducing the 8-wide scale with the introduction of new windscreens, axles, and a chassis. In 2021, the focus was on wheels, with the introduction of dual molded low profile wheels, which can fit 2 x 2 round elements within them, allowing for printed wheel covers and more general compatibility with the system. In 2022, the focus was on headlights and taillights: every single 2022 set has lights that are either printed or brick built, so sticker-adverse fans can still have complete-looking cars. Very interested to see what else changes for the 2023 sets. My best guess would be a continued shift away from stickers in general, like they did for headlights, to (hopefully) the point where stickers would be entirely optional on builds - in other words, all critical detailing would be brick-built or printed. This is an area they have stated that they have received, uh, a ton of feedback about.

I can only wholeheartedly agree with this post, especially the last bit about the piece library. It (and cars in general, to be honest) been the jumping off point for basically every good piece in the past few years. They're also great sets for piece-per-money value, especially fun detail bits.

They're one of the few things I'll build before taking apart and putting to the parts bins, just for the build experience and learning techniques.

HootTheOwl posted:

:same:
I thought it was a Tau thing before I clicked.
Still very dope. I'm a sucker for scifi space ships.

The orange/yellow/white really does scream Tau, doesn't it? I'd be interested in doing a build or two based on them sometime.

Skios posted:

Definitely very cool, and I love the colouring. I did think it was the head of a mech at first though. I love the use of the helicopter canopy.

The Bloop posted:

I mean it could still be...

Cheers!

Olpainless fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 6, 2022