Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cartoon Man posted:

I was thinking more like magical Yoga or Tai Chi. It shows up in Stormlight too.

Really? I hadn't spotted that. Where is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Xandu posted:

Is it just me or were the fight scenes involving Szeth weirdly mechanical compared to the rest of the book? Like I get that he wanted to introduce how the lashings worked, but none of those scenes really worked for me.

My brother refused to read past the Szeth scenes because he hated them so much.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So, from what I learned/overheard at the signing, apparently Sanderson's kids are now super into Sonic the Hedgehog. And are now watching all three of the shows.

So, I'm guessing the next magic system is going to be based off Speed. If the wizards go under 50 miles per hour, they explode. Because they gotta go fast.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kinetica posted:

He was somewhat forced into that position, he was determined to finish the series in the designated number of books and he had an enormous amount of threads to account for due to Jordan's feature creep. I think he did really well with what he had to work with since so much of it was already set in stone/preplanned.

When you've got thirty two thousand pages of accumulated notes to work from, you don't have nearly as much flexibility as you'd like.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Walh Hara posted:

I always thought the title (The) Book of Endless Words would fit a philosophical/absurdist/self-referencing/metaphysaical book more than a fantasy book, so I don't mind him not going with that.

His original plan was to name all of the novels after in-universe texts (hence calling the series the Stormlight 'Archive'). The book of endless words is, in universe, about a thousand pages long, and completely blank.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MildShow posted:

So if Book 2 is about Shallan, 3 is about Szeth, and 5 is about Dalinar, then who is Book 4 about?

About a thousand pages, I'd expect.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Walh Hara posted:

Actually, I believe Sanderson mentioned who'll be the main characters of all the books, but I can't find the quote anymore. I did find this, http://coppermind.net/wiki/The_Stormlight_Archive#cite_note-.3F612.237-0 , which claims the 4th book will be about the parshendi shardbearer we saw in book 1 (but fails to cite this convincingly).

It was on his twitter.

https://twitter.com/BrandSanderson/status/307201897314545664

He apparently said at a signing that just because he dedicates a book to a character doesn't mean it can't be an 'in memorium' dedication. He could just explain their backstory in flashbacks.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 1, 2013

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Seems like he just put up another 'livewriting' on youtube for Words of Radiance

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So, I was browsing the official forums and found an interesting tidbit.

Apparently Taravangian used the Old Magic, and his intelligence is randomized each day. Sometimes he's an idiot, sometimes he's a total mastermind. He apparently uses math puzzles to test his own intelligence each morning, and has his guards keep him away from any important decisions if it's one of his bad days.

Weeeeeeeeird.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Clockwork Gadget posted:

Ahhhhhh whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Technically Sanderson didn't so much 'reveal' as 'confirm'... which just goes to show how insightful and/or obsessive the fanbase can be.

IIRC, the clues used were that Demoux has the scar on his head from mistborn, and Galladon's gibberish sounds like stuff from Elantris.

The third guy is confirmed to be from the planet Yolen, which is not yet in print. I think it's Hoid's homeworld, as well?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

toanoradian posted:

This discount is not available for Amazon users in Australia :( The available kindle version is 11.64 here.

According to reddit, they're currently poking the UK/Ireland/Australia distributor.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

There's a reddit AMA with Sanderson coming up on the 15th. Does anyone have good questions about the series?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

PastaSky posted:

Where does this happen?

Two or three times in HoA. Talking to Spook for reals after he got unspiked, and I think inspiring TenSoon.

Long story short, he half-grabbed Preservation when Leras bought the farm, and was able to give a bit of advice to a few living characters before Vin took up the power entirely.

From Sanderson's reddit account, it seems like Kelsier was preventing Bad poo poo from happening by doing that.

quote:

No, Roshar does not have the same problem. There are some differences going on. (One reason being that the spren are far more extensive on Roshar, and provide something of a "release valve." The Seons and the Skaze on Sel are not numerous enough to fulfill a similar function. Though, of course, that's only one part of the puzzle. Raw power is dangerous.

It's one reason everyone should be thankful Kelsier was around on Scadrial.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 14, 2013

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The reddit AMA is up
http://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/1ced7z/iamstilla_novelist_named_brandon_sanderson_ama/

Some pretty cool info about mistborn. Apparently Hoid and Kelsier REALLY don't get along - and would murder each other if they met, probably. The Southern Continent uses technology-based allomancy instead of genetic-based, and that's part of making a FTL engine.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 18, 2013

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

senae posted:

The best part is when you reread book 1 page 1.

Works for mistborn too.
Sometimes, I worry that I’m not the hero everyone thinks I am

Wait a sec... the prologue for mistborn 1 uses the alloy of law numerals instead of the normal metal symbols. WTF.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

404GoonNotFound posted:

Preliminary date from B&N/Amazon and whatnot is early November.

But if you want a sneak preview, you can watch Sanderson write the first draft on youtube

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

werdnam posted:

Fair. I was referring more to the situation for both: each is a member of the downtrodden class, put into a forced labor camp, who -- surprise! -- has a secret magic power that emerges to save him.

Plotwise, there's a pretty significant difference in development especially since we don't ever see anything from Kelsier before he became a Mistborn

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm still pissed he ditched The Book of Endless Pages as the name, because it was perfect. It's too bad he didn't like the irony implied there, because the book is gonna be huge.

When I saw Brandon at a signing, he said he really liked "Book of Endless Pages", but his editors and publishers really didn't appreciate the irony.

Apparently it's a bad thing when everyone's first reaction is to laugh at your title.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

treeboy posted:

If I didn't know it's been time lapsed, based on his publishing schedule I'd think that's his actual typing speed.

He currently averages 2500 words a day, according to the AMA. Sometimes up to 3500.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Uhhhhhhhh... I just finished Way of Kings. Is it loving November yet?

Next book is 70% completed, I put a link to the 'watch Sanderson write' youtube channel a little upthread. There are some pretty big revelations about Stormlight II in them.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

404GoonNotFound posted:

Anything you feel comfortable putting in tags?

Ack, sorry, I thought the channel also had this other chapter reading (Second half is here), but somebody else put that on youtube. It's a Parshendi PoV, and gets rid of a lot of their mysteriousness.

The Rysn interlude (which was being livewritten) doesn't actually rock the boat as far as I can tell. Sorry again for messing up.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sherringford posted:

I felt pretty much the same way about Sanderson and the book. It took quite a bit of effort not to skip Shallan's bits because they were kind of...embarrassing to read if it makes sense. Picturing someone saying those lines was just an awkward scene in my mind. I think Sanderson did a good job with Wit though, if only because he was less witty and more just openly an rear end to everyone. I also felt really stupid because I was way, way too excited about that bit in the end. I felt like a little kid watching professional wrestling going "C'MON! GO BACK! GO BACK!" the entire time.

I'm not sure, but I kind of get the feeling that nobody else in universe finds Shallan as witty as she thinks she is. I think Jasnath basically says at one point 'you're trying to be witty, but you suck at it, stop it'.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

veekie posted:

What I think he was trying for was that those people just don't have much of a sense of humor/wit, but what actually happened was that Shallan(and Sanderson by extension) was really bad at being funny.

I dunno, most of Chapter 29 is Jasnah starting with "You often seem to say the first passably clever thing that enters your mind," then telling Shallan to try to think before just blurting out inappropriate and 'clever' comments.

That said I actually liked the lightsong segments in warbreaker, so I might not entirely be the best person to judge this.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Clockwork Gadget posted:

Well, look at it this way: by the time he gets around to writing anything heavily cosmere-crossing, he'll have written like 20 more books by then. Compare Sanderson now to Sanderson in Elantris. That was about 20 books ago. If anyone will be able to pull off something like that by then, it'll be Sanderson.

Yeah... there are some hints the 'mistborn in space' trilogy will start a lot of meeting up with other shardworlds, and that's scheduled for... let's see...

Rithmatist is coming out in like two days
Steelheart comes out September, and it's the first in the (non-cosmere) trilogy, so three books there.
Words of Radiance (October/November)
Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell (Short Story in the Dangerous Women Anthology )- May 2014
Then the dialogue for Mistborn: Birthright... again in 2014
Alcatraz 5 sometime in 2014
Elantris II sometime in 2015
Shadows of Self (Alloy of Law Sequel) sometime around then.

Then there's Nightblood (warbreaker II) 8 more Stormlight Archive novels, the second mistborn trilogy (set between stormlight 5 and 6), and probably a reworking of some of the other Cosmere novel drafts like Silence Divine or Liar of Partinel... and there will obviously be noncosmere stuff interspersed in that...

So that's what, 23 books we can guarantee will come out before the crossovers start happening as part of the plot? I think the original plan was for 38 books total in the shard universe, but stuff like Alloy of Law and Emperor's Soul seem to be pretty organic and spontaneous, so I'm not sure they count.

But yeah Sanderson is like the Rock Lee of novel writing.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Well, another Words of Radiance Excerpt. Leaving this unspoilered for obvious reasons.

quote:

reddit

I heard that if he's away from a keyboard for more than fifteen minutes he develops a nervous tick where he starts tapping out rough drafts with his fingers in Morse code. He doesn't even know he's doing it.

quote:

. .- -.-. .... / - .. -- . / -.-- --- ..- / .- .-.. .-.. --- .-- / - .... .. ... --..-- / .- -- .- .-. .- -- / ... .- .. -.. --..-- / .. - / -.. .-. .. ...- . ... / .- / .-- . -.. --. . / -... . - .-- . . -. / .... .. -- / .- -. -.. / - .... . / - .... .-. --- -. . .-.-.- / .- -- .- .-. .- -- / - --- --- -.- / -.. .- .-.. .. -. .- .-. / -... -.-- / - .... . / .- .-. -- --..-- / ... - --- .--. .--. .. -. --. / .... .. -- / ..-. .-. --- -- / -.-. --- -. - .. -. ..- .. -. --. / ..-. --- .-. .-- .- .-. -.. .-.-.- / .-- . / .... .- ...- . / -... .. --. --. . .-. / .--. .-. --- -... .-.. . -- ... / - .... .- -. / -.-- --- ..- / .- -. -.. / ... .- -.. . .- ... --..-- / -- -.-- / ..-. .-. .. . -. -.. .-.-.- / -.-- . ... --..-- / .... . / -... . - .-. .- -.-- . -.. / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.- / -.-- . ... --..-- / .... . / .-.. .. -.- . .-.. -.-- / .-- .. .-.. .-.. / .- --. .- .. -. .-.-.- / -... ..- - / .-- . / -.-. .- -. / - / .- ..-. ..-. --- .-. -.. / - --- / .-.. . - / - .... . / - .-- --- / --- ..-. / -.-- --- ..- / --. --- / - --- / .-- .- .-. .-.-.- / - .... . / ...- --- .. -.. -... .-. .. -. --. . .-. ... / .- .-. . / -.-. --- -- .. -. --. .-.-.-

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 16, 2013

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

BananaNutkins posted:

It happens every time someone is emotionally trying to explain something. The fact that it occurs during what are supposed to be emotionally poignant moments every book is what made me notice it, and now I just cringe, waiting for it, and it's like having prior knowledge that someone is going to fart in the middle of a eulogy and you don't know when. You can't prepare for it, and so you really can't focus on the words because you're afraid you're going to laugh out loud.

So basically every emotional speech since Mistborn 1 has been ruined for me by waiting for the fart noise.

5x in Well of Ascension, 6x in Hero of ages, 7x in Way of Kings, but doesn't ever show up in Alloy of Law or Emperor's Soul.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

404GoonNotFound posted:

This would almost be better if I thought you'd searched by hand instead of CTRL+F'd.

On the plus side, it seems that the average 'don't you see' per page is declining.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Clockwork Gadget posted:

I was smiling like an idiot the entire time I read that prologue, but I literally cringed when I read that part.

Wait until you see the sister city.

Chic Jersey.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Haha now I don't even know what to do. I think I'm going to give WOK a shot, see how that goes, and if I find it too overwhelming I'll give Mistborn a shot.

Or you can try warbreaker for free.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Has anyone else read A House of Ashes? It's the freebie licensed novella given away with the mistborn RPG, and it's hilariously bad. I just finished it, and feel like I have to share the pain.

Apparently Crafty Games isn't giving it away for free anymore. Would putting up a couple pages from it count as :filez:?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

NinjaDebugger posted:

Be glad. The only thing worse than the fiction is the RPG. I'm honestly sad I preordered it.

I disagree, the RPG is way better than House of Ashes.

Here's a five-page chapter from it. It's... well, the combat only really makes sense with Benny Hill playing in the background. These Hazekillers make Team Rocket seem like Solid Snake.

I particularly like the fact that their master strategy is literally dragging the mistborn down with the weight of their dead.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 3, 2013

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Democratic Pirate posted:

I had the same problem with the drawings in WoK. Cool pictures, unreadable words.

Doesn't help that some of them are in an invented alphabet.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

quote:

Brandon Sanderson

Two scenes done so far today in the climax of Words of Radiance. A half dozen or so to go. Looking quite good for a finish today.

Well, that's good to hear.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Draynar posted:

Got Rithmatist to catch up on my Sanderson. Started at around 10 pm and finished around 5 am. I swear I need a support group when he has books out so i don't kill myself with non stop reading. (I'm scared or radiance that is big enough to actually kill me!)

Good news, Radiance is planned to be shorter than Way of Kings.

Bad? news: It's currently 1650 pages in draft form.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cetea posted:

I just like how he was actually thought he was doing the right thing for everyone. Those plaques that he left behind (the ones we got to read in the third book) really fleshed out his character for me. Just goes to show that everything is done with the best of intentions, and no one should really be called inherently evil for anything.

Then again, I have a tendency to root for so called 'evil' characters, as long as they aren't cardboard cutouts.

Well, there's a chapter from the Proto-Lord-Ruler's PoV in the Final Empire Prime excerpt. Proto-Vin is in chapter two.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

bowmore posted:

Yeah, The Lord Ruler isn't evil he is just mentally ill.

And a total rear end in a top hat with a superiority complex.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cetea posted:

That's exactly what I thought too. The two of them had such similar personalities, it's so easy to see their places swapped around if they were in each other's shoes. Oh and I've never heard of Final Empire Prime, I guess I have something to read now!

Unfortunately there are only two chapters of it up on the website, but I've heard if you email Brandon Sanderson or Peter Ahlstrom and ask politely they'll email you a copy of it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Fezz posted:

New words of radiance chapter

I believe this has been floating out there, but here's an official source for the Taravangian interlude chapter.

Looks like Brandon turned in the first draft. So it should be out sometime early next year.

Apparently they're haggling over the date in January atm.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

404GoonNotFound posted:

Not one particular card, but Brandon loves comparing story elements to Magic: The Gathering, such as pointing out that the Lord Ruler was using a two cards from different sets for an Infinite Life combo.

That sounds interesting. I heard that he statted out nightblood as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ethiser posted:

Well he mentioned that his people will collect the blade after his death and one of the only things he cannot do is give it up. We don't know if he received the blade as part of his punishment or he took the blade for some reason and was punished for it.
In the first draft he didn't have it, and he killed everyone with a normal sword. That was apparently way too gory and bloody for an intro, so he ended up with a bleed-free shardblade.

I suspect some retroactive continuity got added to make it party of Szeth's backstory, but adding something after the fact like that probably wouldn't result in a significant change... I'm guessing it's just a fairly normal shardblade, and isn't required as his punishment or provide his windrunning.