Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
I don't know what it is but there is something about the stormlight series that makes the hair on the back of my neck stick out whenever I think about what could potentially happen going forward. It's really weird, I have some criticisms of the first book, but at the same time the world and potential just seem so cool that I can't help getting really excited for the next book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Has Sanderson said anything about doing annotations for the Stormlight series? I would would love to read the ones for Way of Kings but there is nothing on his website :(

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
I just read "The Emperors Soul" after reading "Steelheart".... And whilst I would not say I disliked "Steelheart", if feels really weak in comparison. I'm hoping that the with "Words of Radiance" Sanderson will continue to improve as an author. If you have not read TES you can read it in a couple of hours and it's a nice self contained story. Cool magic too :)

stramit
Dec 9, 2004

api call girl posted:

Prologue and chapters 1 and 2 of words of radiance are up on tor.com right now.

I can't do this to myself. I am forcing myself to wait it out so I can read the book in one disgusting binge.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004

HaitianDivorce posted:

I'm not looking for (I need to read more the first author I think of as subtle is George "Reek Reek it rhymes with Freak" Martin) but it almost feels like it's insulting my intelligence. I don't really need to be reminded who every character is every other page.

But if it gets better further in I can push on with that hope instead of just looking for opportunities to make fun of the characters. Thanks.

I always felt that the writing in Mistborn felt like it was in some weird middle ground between YA and Adult. Not quite one or the other. It has some of the problems of YA (everything being spelled out), but if you can look past that the structure, world, and overall story work quite well.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004

Democratic Pirate posted:

I just realized how many overpowered point of view characters Sanderson's ultimate cosmere endgame book is going to have.

Well if everyone is overpowered then no one is overpowered at least.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
I think it should have been left unexplained maybe the term 'lashing' could have been used here and there but none of the more dry stuff. It should have been left till the future (book 2) when Kaladin was learning about his powers and that. More mystery is good I think!

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Autopiloted onto the black bars :S yay I guess. I really don't know why he is so forthcoming with this kind of information... It's probably the worst thing he does.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004

senae posted:

As to Davids powers, I need to re-read the last few chapters, but it seemed to me that he was being given something related to the bridge under the water, not the water itself. Controlling steel, maybe? There's no reason to think the power is related to the fear, just the weakness

I got the same impression given that the boon was going to be thematically tragic. Steelslayer and enemy of Steelheart gets the power to control steel.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004

Cicero posted:

Yeah, he's also done a bunch of short stories and a couple novellas set in the same universe. All that in less than 2 years of release time.

Probably just a pseudonym that Sanderson is using so he can get more books published...

stramit
Dec 9, 2004

The Ninth Layer posted:

It's one of the reasons I am not more of a fan. If you didn't follow all the Q&A stuff Sanderson does you would never know that these worlds are interconnected at all. I hope that's something he corrects in the third Stormlight book.

With all the world hoppers, hoid, and more in depth explanation of the shards it seems like it's going to be more important.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
I just read 'Perfect State' and 'Sixth of the Dusk' on a flight.

I really liked the ideas in 'Perfect State', when you start to realise the world the characters live in, and how it is more a sci-fi story it gets a lot more interesting. I originally anticipated some god emperor fantasy story and was quite happy with what we got.

'Sixth of the Dusk' was also interesting. I'm curious who the aliens that came and visited are. And also how exactly the world fits into Cosmere at a larger scale. It's not his best short story but it was nice to see him tackle the ideas of colonisation and how it might later be applied to the world as a whole. Not his best short work,, but decent and readable.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004

Immortan posted:

I'm thinking about picking up the Stormlight Archive series and I just want to know if its too "light hearted" like Harry Potter or more "gritty" like Asofai? Looking for more of the latter, personally. TIA!

If I ranked them with Harry Potter being at 1 and asofai being 10, I think I would put storm light right in the middle at 5. It's no where near as gritty, but the story is more complex with deeper motivations for characters and a more interesting story structure (interleaved flashbacks that slowly reveal character backstory, as well as often being thematically suited to the current time events).

If you've read wot I'd say that would be a 6, maybe.

I don't mind my gritty fantasy, but sometimes I want something a bit lighter that feels like it's going somewhere. That's what storm light is to me.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004

blue squares posted:

So I'm almost halfway through Words of Radiance. At this point I feel like it could be half as long because most characters are spinning their wheels and making little progress, though at the same time I am enjoying it.

First half is getting everything in place for a really strong back half. I think it works really well for that book :)

stramit
Dec 9, 2004

NeruVolpi posted:

I love the mistborn series. Both of them. But I'm finding the second one kinda harder to read.

The mistery involved is pretty good, being an avid fan of the cosmere and the shards and all. But the novel by itself is getting boring and hard to read.

Anyone else had the same problem?

It was all right, but nothing super interesting. I powered through it so I could read 'Secret History' which is really loving good and all about the cosmere.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Having known rules and limits really stops the 'and a wizard did it' factor.

Having really well defined systems that not even the characters fully understand and discover as the series goes on also works really well. Take mistborn for example. Some of the revelations in the last book totally change how you see the first book. It's great.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004

mewse posted:

Someone in this thread recommended Robin Hobb after I had exhausted the Sanderson catalog. I finished reading her stuff now.. where do I go from here?

If you want a real good fantasy hit up 'The Lies of Locke Lamora'. It stands above the crowd in the genre.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Just finished a reread of stormlight 1/2 and edgedander. Gotta say they hold up well on a retread and lots of trivial seeming things are pretty important. I really liked lift in edgedancer, I like how she struggles with growing up and caring and what it means. Shallan is much better in book two than in book one and I really want to see what happens with her moving forward.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004

Pash posted:

Odium presumably shattered the shard. Odium at least thinks this means no one should be able to pick up the shard.

Unite them

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
It gets much worse before it gets better

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
In WoK when Shallan goes to shadesmar how does that work as she doesn't have access to transportation?

stramit
Dec 9, 2004

Taffer posted:

I'll probably read Elantris next. I'm well enough invested at this point that I'm certain I'll be reading every Cosmere book, and I can survive through some weaker writing to save the better books for later. Unless it's not particularly important in the wider picture?

I found Elantris a little dull apart from Hrathen. That character owns and makes the book worth it IMO.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
I'm just waiting for the moment that Dalinar summons the stormfather as a blade. I know that he says it's not going to happen and that he won't be a blade but given how sanderson goes there will be an epic moment where Dalinar is about to die and the stormfather will come to save him that way. Dalinar with a blade and plate full bondsmith radiant would send chills down my spine.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-long-awaited-wheel-of-time-tv-series-is-heading-to-1829463189

Hopefully they make it a really tight 4-5 season thing and cut the fat + adapt it where it makes sense. Good casting for matt too also please.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004

mewse posted:

They're really good but with oathbringer (book 3) it seems like he is starting to get bogged down by his own plot

e: $3 is a steal, these are huge books

Naa Oathbringer was the best of them so far (dalinar flashback was by far the best done and the most satisfying). The scope is expanding, but it's still in control and going no where near WOT terribleness.

quote:

If I enjoy WOT, but am currently actively hating reading the books in the middle, would I also enjoy these? I've never read Sanderson.
Sanderson is great at building a world, and a story that feels complete in that world. everything seems to fit together and foreshadowing is done in a great way that you don't often notice until a reread but is clearly there. The stories feel whole which I really like about his style. Some people don't like his style, and there are (easily) better writers out there, but I think his works end up being better than the sum of their parts.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004

Sab669 posted:

Oh, right, I did read Elantris. Sixth & Silence were both in AU (and I'd LOVE more from the Sixth of Dusk world). I guess I'll have to finally check out White Sands :)

white sands comic... not so good :(

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Chapter 1 of Stormlight 4 is in the latest Sanderson newsletter.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
I want more Rlain... I feel he’s been under-utilised so far and was hoping for a lot more from him in book 3.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
https://twitter.com/BrandSanderson/status/1282194268883316736

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
https://www.tor.com/2020/08/17/behold-the-cover-to-rhythm-of-war-the-fourth-book-in-brandon-sandersons-stormlight-archive/

stramit
Dec 9, 2004

eke out posted:

i definitely did not imagine that dude having anime silver hair lol

I think it's described as dark with silver streaks - but not 100% on that. wrong

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Saw 23 new posts... thought dawnshard was out ;(

stramit
Dec 9, 2004

Sab669 posted:

Wow. I absolutely love this.

I thought it was really good. [Stormlight spoiler up to Oathbringer] Shallan has murdered a lot more people than I remembered...

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
It's really great to read theories from someone reading the book for the first time. Whether you are right or wrong you'll have a great time with the rest of the book I think :)

stramit
Dec 9, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

So someone just tell me. Elend Venture - is he cool or does he suck?

You are letting your knowledge of fantasy tropes get in the way of your enjoyment. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

As Elend said Kelsier was dead. A corpse. OreSeur didn't eat Kelsier. He ate Kelsier's corpse. Not only that, it was all according to Kelsier's wishes.

Very very very late full mistborn series spoilers: lol that didn’t work out so well for him in retrospect

stramit
Dec 9, 2004

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Not a RoW prediction, just a wish:

Zahel/Vasher better let fuckin' loose. It would be a stretch for him to have a surprise automaton army lying around, but he's a goddamn mad scientist and I'll be disappointed if all he has to offer is swordsmanship and ad hoc awakenings. I am hopeful he eventually helps Navani figure out the tower. He also needs a reunion with Nightblood so he can teach Szeth the ultimate technique of THROW SWORD AT BAD GUY MOB AND WAIT FOR RESULTS.

Vasher sighed as he unsheathed his heavily invested katana

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
ROW / mistborn
i really want to know what kelsier and the ghostbloods end game is here. All we really know of where kelsier left off is that he saved the southern scadrial people and got pegged to a body. The ghostbloods seem almost too comically evil given what we have seen kelsier up to before. Is there some bigger plan in play? Is kelsier actually a little more evil now?

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
ROW:
Read an interesting theory that the last scene with Hoid and Odium actually worked out in Hoids favour - or as he had planned at least. The points where:
*Before he talks with odium he's talking about misdirection and how it's an art
*He sends his spren away right before the encounter so the spren is not at risk
*He knew he lost his breaths and likely would have reacted differently if it was a surprise.

The idea is that maybe he knew he would be vulnerable - even if not exactly how so the breaths he hid his memories in actually were implanted with false memories.

It even finished with hoid saying it went exactly as planned... who knows though what Brandon is playing with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stramit
Dec 9, 2004

eke out posted:

yeah i've seen a few people mention this as showing maybe it isn't Kelsier, if a thousands-of-years-old Herald calls him "old" -- but i think it's probably just a sign that Kalak knows "Thaidakar" is immortal and doesn't know how old he actually is, just older than any human should be

ROW/Mistborn
I think hoid refers to having met Thaidakar on other 'planets' (plural). Most evidence points to it being Kelsier - but the water is muddy enough that there is space for it not to be true