Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I'd probably give this a run again if I wasn't so loving lazy at learning things like dual boxing and pulling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r0rb
Oct 14, 2012
I made a SK to level up and play with my low tier Druid. These project Grinkles public adept bots are amazing, can just log one in and take down any adept I want for gear. Although I'll probably need another person for the adepts after Brancu.

Edit
Also does anyone have an enchanter buff bot I could use? All the other account info I have works except for the enc I used to buff with :(

r0rb fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 13, 2016

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008

Ketocon posted:

Boats and Hoes my fellow neckbeards.

The server has been recently "upgraded" to version 2.5 which means it now appears on the EQEmu server list. The server has also had a nice influx of people but unfortunately you know how SOD is...

This is where <Vintage> comes in. Vintage is going to be a guild for the low end crew that wants to raid without ringers. Basically what Goonsquad was when I re-made it about a year ago. If you didn't get a chance to hang out before and this sounds like something you would like to do then feel free to join!

PM me on the SOD forums as either Nebi or you can find me in game on Abuelito.

Have any changes been made to help people "catch up" as far as codecs? That's why I stopped playing. I'm not going to grind on a low population server where everyone two boxes because that's just not fun for me unless there's some sort of incentive, like an experience boost with codecs up to X amount. Even if it was just with the power ones that'd make me consider playing again.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

I hate yankees posted:

Have any changes been made to help people "catch up" as far as codecs? That's why I stopped playing. I'm not going to grind on a low population server where everyone two boxes because that's just not fun for me unless there's some sort of incentive, like an experience boost with codecs up to X amount. Even if it was just with the power ones that'd make me consider playing again.

Codexes of Power are gone. This is both good and bad. It allows you to do class books and other interesting books (which make up your "codex progress" without doing the codexes) and is pretty fantastic from that point. Any of the desire tome 2 books however are very pricey last I played which can make progress on your charm difficult.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Tome 2s kind of suck to get your hands on but yeah CoP is baked into tome bonus now which is kind of nice but also not. They buffed citadel (but Slaar did it soooooooooo) but it's still a pretty terrible time getting them. Expect to pay out the nose for the nicer stuff like Magic 2 (15k from guild, probably closer to 20k in auction), heal 2, etc.

Class 2s are also SLIGHTLY more common which is good if you're a bard or a class with 3 good class tomes and bad if your class 2s are still unfinished or they aren't too good.

Pinchy
Feb 15, 2004

Fishy deep sea businessman.
Anyone want to regroup for the 2.5 update? Looking for some leveling buddies for my friend and I.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

My brother made me reinstall Everquest to play with him on his dumb progression server so I figured I'd make another copy of the EQ folder and see how Shards was doing. What the gently caress is up with the UI changes??? I logged onto Cuwi and I had four hotkey bars even though I barely needed one, and I couldn't close any of them. Then I started looking at what I had in my inventory and I realized all the item windows couldn't parse what spells were on my clickies and just threw up error messages about it, and god knows I don't remember what any of them did either.

I mean, it kind of doesn't matter. Not a single person I know plays this game anymore unless Zaela's name still being on the GM list wasn't a mistake, and I'm bad at making new friends. But jeez, that UI was awful.

CuwiKhons fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 10, 2016

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Their update was kill. They don't even post patch notes anymore because how bad things were. Boats were completely broke, should be fixed now, etc. etc.

Batmasterson
Dec 7, 2010

Bang Bang Bang
Was the 2.5 update really that bad? I was looking to check it out considering how long they had been teasing the client upgrade.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

Batmasterson posted:

Was the 2.5 update really that bad? I was looking to check it out considering how long they had been teasing the client upgrade.

The update isn't that bad. It's that the update means they need to fix a lot of things that worked before 2.5.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Started playing this yesterday with two other goons. The three of us created two characters each. I made a Shadow Knight and Cleric. This reminds me a lot of classic EQ, but I also really like what Everquest Live is currently but would rather play on SoD since I have people to play with. :)

Stonewalljack
Oct 29, 2008
Regarding the UI: For the extra hot bars you can turn them off with the little 'EQ' button floating on your screen somewhere. You can also use it for other quick changes, though don't use the bandolier. Rumor is it eats weapons like on other emu servers. The spell descriptions were never that accurate anyway, you had to look them up on the wiki or spell parse. Now they just look uglier, not to mention the new item stat layout takes some getting used too. If you want a good SoD specific UI you can use out of the box, Meeil had posted one under the Player Assisted Development forum: https://shardsofdalaya.com/forum/threads/clickswap25-v6-for-sod-2-5.29992/

Rabbi
Nov 20, 2002

Anyone know what Wiz is up to now? He was working on that game that was supposed to be a perfect blend of UO and EQ, but I don't think it ever took off.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009

Rabbi posted:

Anyone know what Wiz is up to now? He was working on that game that was supposed to be a perfect blend of UO and EQ, but I don't think it ever took off.

He got hired onto Paradox Interactive, after making mods for Crusader Kings II I believe.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Is SOD loving dead or what? Forums are about as dead as I've ever seen them since 2008, no update in 2 months despite the game being apparently hosed.

I love SOD, but this feels like the end.

I still have that itch though, I wish there was a p99 analogue with a leveling speed/difficulty equivalent to SOD or slightly faster.

I spent an hour and a half during accounting lecture watching a classmate play p99 and it gave me the bug fierce, but not enough to crush my nuts in the vice that is velious era eq.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
There hasn't really been anyone at the wheel that seems like they give a poo poo in a long time. Stuff gets done very slowly if you bugfix it and yell at someone who can actually do something about it but content is basically a drop of water from the faucet every few months or so.

Most new content has been 6 mans that are finally at the point where they work but they're like T11+ and the real nice loot off them is a bitch and a half to get.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I should probably log on, buy my 500K charm (actually need 20k or so to do so) and then never log on again, maybe giving people my monk/cleric account info and guestlocking them.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

I think it takes a special kind of neurosis to be so enamored with EverQuest that you seek out a custom server, fall in love with it, have both the wherewithal to use and impliment antiquated coding as well as the time to donate to do so, and lastly mesh cohesively with the other developers in a non-toxic way.

Those are quite a few conditions that haven't been met for some time. Game's gonna die basically.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I saw someone buying a SoD character on an EQ RMT forum recently. I figured it must be alive if someone would pay money for an emulated server no one plays

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
With how incestuous the end game community tends to be I would be shocked if it wasn't banned in a week.

Or swiped back.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So what killed SoD? Is it just general bugginess? I recently came back just to fool around and to say hi to a few peeps in game months before 2.5 was hitting, and when it hit my UI was completely broken (it was custom custom), and I just couldn't be arsed to fix it again, gently caress you 2.5.

That's my story at least, then there was the SoD front page, I sometimes checked, with its terrible sounding patch notes, like fixed groups not working, pets can now attack again, etc. then those updates just stopped, either they're embarrassed or games dead.

Make Shards Great Again, roll back 2.5.

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 14, 2016

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Im_Special posted:

Make Shards Great Again, roll back blazewind gloves.
... Or Horok, I ain't picky.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Im_Special posted:

So what killed SoD? Is it just general bugginess? I recently came back just to fool around and to say hi to a few peeps in game months before 2.5 was hitting, and when it hit my UI was completely broken (it was custom custom), and I just couldn't be arsed to fix it again, gently caress you 2.5.

That's my story at least, then there was the SoD front page, I sometimes checked, with its terrible sounding patch notes, like fixed groups not working, pets can now attack again, etc. then those updates just stopped, either they're embarrassed or games dead.

Make Shards Great Again, roll back 2.5.

Basically Taryth assumed he had a ton of time to code and push 2.5. Then 2.5 came around and other opportunities came about and welp here we are.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Shards of Dalaya: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4c78PZRsHs

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Xeras posted:

Basically Taryth assumed he had a ton of time to code and push 2.5. Then 2.5 came around and other opportunities came about and welp here we are.

other offers aka masturbating in the closet using a bucket of his old cum as lube.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

MF_James posted:

other offers aka masturbating in the closet using a bucket of his old cum as lube.

what the gently caress

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I logged on for the first time in years, and of course Goon Squad is completely empty. I think it was like 30 people online in total. Sad. :(

Stonewalljack
Oct 29, 2008
Taryth started a post about a possible SoD sequel: https://shardsofdalaya.com/forum/threads/sequel-to-sod-input-requested.30263/

Rabbi
Nov 20, 2002

I'd come back for a reboot in a heart beat :swoon: https://shardsofdalaya.com/fomelo/fomelo.php?char=wurlabit

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

I think there would be a reasonable amount of goon interest in a Shards sequel

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
The original being too much of a mess to bother I take it?

I'd join if they could do without monsters running freely through walls and seemingly every trash mob in the game past a certain point having the ability to summon.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Mercury_Storm posted:

The original being too much of a mess to bother I take it?

The conversion to 2.5 might be a bigger project than just starting fresh, honestly. And the person who was converting it is the same person who is positing a sequel.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

wipe it clean

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Agreed, scrub it and start over.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
It'd be nice to salvage the wreck but I'm not holding my breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

His timeline is like a year(s) out from the sounds of it. Which would be worth it if it's a Marza quality game.

• Locked thread