Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greg Brock
Feb 28, 2008

Bet you weren't aware that tackling was part of old-school baseball. Stan Musial's grandson explains:

quote:

"My grandfather wasn't controversial, but what if Bob Gibson was on the mound,'' Schwarze said. "(Puig) never would have made third base, because Gibson would have run around the bases and tackled him."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2013/10/17/cardinals-growing-weary-of-dodgers-dont-care-for-antics/3005639/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Bob Gibson's transformation over the last few years from a hyper competitive rear end in a top hat with fantastic command who owned the inner part of the plate and threw at people to make a point into some kind of demi-godlike enforcer of Playing the Game the Right Way, especially among jerkoffs who weren't around to see any substantive part of his playing career like that dude, has been kind of funny to watch

I think this is the second or third time I've seen him namedropped as someone who would interrupt a play, sometimes even while the ball was live, to start a fistfight or brawl with an opposing player over perceived disrespect, which is just incredibly insulting to Gibson

Crion fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Oct 18, 2013

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Here, thread, have some spicy DFW flavor, courtesy of the esteemed Randy Galloway.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/10/17/5256637/randy-galloway-nolan-ryan-forced.html

If you don't know who he is, he's basically Nolan Ryan's mouthpiece. Now Nolan is out, so I guess Galloway thought it prudent to have a hilarious meltdown about it.

My personal favorite part:

Randy Galloway's Pants-making GBS threads Rage posted:

Fan backlash will be substantial, particularly from the rank-and-file, while the geek element of fandom will cheer on Daniels.

Manages to use derogatory language toward his supporters and throw unnecessary poo poo at THOSE loving STATS:argh: in one fell swoop. That takes some skill.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Some ESPN editor swung for the fences today:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The life of Bubbaprog sounds really sad:

quote:

This is the way things go in Burke-world. Hurtak, 36, who edits reports for nonprofits and is working on a book about venture philanthropy in Uganda, tries to remain calm.

“I’ve done a lot of personal growth this past year,” she said.

When she met Burke at a party about six years ago, he was 50 pounds lighter; a professor of communications and speech who lectured on media theory; and was working on his dissertation on feminist theory and poker, which he has not finished.

At the same time, he was posting screen captures and clips on the free-for-all Web site 4chan and on Twitter. His contributions attracted the attention of the Web site SportsGrid, where he worked for a time, and finally of Deadspin, which hired him about two years ago.

The more Burke works, the more Hurtak spends time by herself or with friends. She and Burke play shuffleboard together one night a week, and they take the 12th day of every month off — they got married on Dec. 12, 2012.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

quote:

To start his day, Burke organizes his desk. He then organizes the games he wants to watch on the various monitors. He makes sure his three Mason jars are filled with water so he will not have to leave the room on the account of thirst. He keeps track of Twitter feeds, Deadspin and breaking news on a monitor he has programmed so he can keep abreast of the many things he needs to keep abreast of.

Sadly the article doesn't go into detail on the defecation situation.

Yeah it really is pretty sad, it reads like he wished on the monkey's paw to be paid to watch sports all day.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Why use mason jars instead of a pitcher? :confused:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

leokitty posted:

Why use mason jars instead of a pitcher? :confused:

Because after you drink 2/3 of a pitcher, it doesn't really make any room to put it back.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
And the best part is how they're naturally rinsed out as part of the cycle, no need to clutter up the dishwasher.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Yeah I don't think that marriage is gonna last much longer.

St1cky
Aug 16, 2005

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Mike Alden, supergenius.
He watched Jaguars vs Rams for his job? That sounds like something Mike Rowe needs to do a show on.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

St1cky posted:

He watched Jaguars vs Rams for his job? That sounds like something Mike Rowe needs to do a show on.

I was listening to a fantasy football podcast (Fantasy Underground) and one of the guys on it mentioned he had to watch that game six times because he kept forgetting to look for things he wanted to look for.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
I have to watch a bunch of baseball for my job and around the middle of the season I started cursing the sport and all its component pieces. Watching baseball at the end of the regular season to see how cup of coffee guys were doing once rosters expanded took actual discipline. Do anything as a job and eventually it becomes actual work

That dude's nuts though

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Crion posted:

I have to watch a bunch of baseball for my job and around the middle of the season I started cursing the sport and all its component pieces. Watching baseball at the end of the regular season to see how cup of coffee guys were doing once rosters expanded took actual discipline. Do anything as a job and eventually it becomes actual work

That dude's nuts though

It's far beyond actual watching. At least you've got a column that can take some time to edit. Burke is watching every game, live and simultaneously, and is essentially trying to create instant .gifs before anyone else online. He is basically trying to gather every relevant sports image in the world, as it's happening.

It's almost mindboggling that someone could even think up and begin a task like that.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

AsInHowe posted:

It's far beyond actual watching. At least you've got a column that can take some time to edit. Burke is watching every game, live and simultaneously, and is essentially trying to create instant .gifs before anyone else online. He is basically trying to gather every relevant sports image in the world, as it's happening.

It's almost mindboggling that someone could even think up and begin a task like that.

Yeah that guy's on another tier

The sort of tier that should be in therapy

It will make for some interesting and depressing divorce law reading for law students, I'm sure

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Crion posted:

Yeah that guy's on another tier

The sort of tier that should be in therapy

It will make for some interesting and depressing divorce law reading for law students, I'm sure

I found his rationalization that "Well, I'm at home all the time for my wife" to be particularly depressing.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

It does seem very silly, and the idea of "scooping" gifs is just so... Bizarre. Like, I get they're fun, but making them isn't really an art (unless we're talking stuff like LSUfreek) and becoming obsessed with capturing it all is just depressing.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Declan MacManus posted:

It does seem very silly, and the idea of "scooping" gifs is just so... Bizarre. Like, I get they're fun, but making them isn't really an art (unless we're talking stuff like LSUfreek) and becoming obsessed with capturing it all is just depressing.

There's a reason so many sites are doing them now, though. They're popular and get a lot of pageviews.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

morestuff posted:

There's a reason so many sites are doing them now, though. They're popular and get a lot of pageviews.

drat this GIF arms race. drat this GIF war.

A division of labor would probably be more reasonable.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I don't know what Gawker is paying the guy but it cannot possibly be worth doing that all day long every day.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

MourningView posted:

I don't know what Gawker is paying the guy but it cannot possibly be worth doing that all day long every day.

it's probably pennies on the dollar of what he should be making.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
What's really amazing is that Gawker hasn't found someone to do exactly what Burke does all day for half his salary.

poo poo on Gawker all you want, they retain their talent better than any other journalism outlet going. [Tommy Craggs/Grantland joke goes here.]

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

What's really amazing is that Gawker hasn't found someone to do exactly what Burke does all day for half his salary.

poo poo on Gawker all you want, they retain their talent better than any other journalism outlet going. [Tommy Craggs/Grantland joke goes here.]

Gawker-style poo poo doesn't exactly open you up to a world of offers

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Neat oral history of the '89 quake during the A's-Giants series. Enjoyable. http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9859539/the-1989-world-series-earthquake-oral-history

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I have no idea where the hell to post this, but this Albert Burneko guy that posts occasionally on deadspin about beer/food? Is an idiot, and should quit writing stuff.

Not saying Deadspin is some place of journalistic integrity, but they sometimes don't exactly hire the best people.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
are you mad about him making fun of your state's gross spaghetti chili?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I was gonna get mad at him for saying Iowa's state dish was a corndog but upon review that actually sounds about right. He way underrated it though, corndogs are one of the most perfect foodstuffs ever created and frying ridiculous things that should not be fried is a wonderful and delicious tradition.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

South Carolina got off light; shrimp and grits is legitimately incredible, but they could have easily gone with boiled peanuts or mustard-based barbecue.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Groucho Marxist posted:

are you mad about him making fun of your state's gross spaghetti chili?

"Cincinnati" is pretty much Kentucky, so no. Kind of like insulting the Cincinnati Bengals. (I'm a Browns fan)

Was more offended at his pie ranking, and his beer ranking as well.

Pecan Pies are amazing.

midwat
May 6, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

I have no idea where the hell to post this, but this Albert Burneko guy that posts occasionally on deadspin about beer/food? Is an idiot, and should quit writing stuff.

Not saying Deadspin is some place of journalistic integrity, but they sometimes don't exactly hire the best people.

I find him kinda funny v:shobon:v

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MourningBoo posted:

I was gonna get mad at him for saying Iowa's state dish was a corndog but upon review that actually sounds about right. He way underrated it though, corndogs are one of the most perfect foodstuffs ever created and frying ridiculous things that should not be fried is a wonderful and delicious tradition.

It's a well known fact that most foodstuffs are improved by putting them on a stick.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

FuzzySkinner posted:

He occasionally takes the piss out of Internet foodies, who I find among the most insufferable pricks on the planet, so he's cool in my book.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

I'm glad that burgoo got the nod for Kentucky. Fantastic stuff.

(food chat all up in here, this is surprising)

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

It is strange that he goes for the Cowboy cookie which I have literally never heard of , and skips the Denver omelette.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Chicago deep dish pizza is tomato stew in a bread bowl :mad:. Tasty, though. He should give Detroit-style pizza a try.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Congrats goons, you somehow got foodchat into the loving sports journalism thread

Marvin_Gardens
May 25, 2005

Nevada has no state food; also has no good prospects.

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

how scripted is espn first take?

e: i always figured they're just told to sensationalize their dumb opinions but i then i read some things that were like, "you're an idiot if you can't tell first take is massively scripted." :ohdear:

Peta fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 30, 2013

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Deadspin linked to this after the Red Sox won.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/02/24/hard-get-excited-about-these-red-sox/GQ5hTjgKOg6MI3gxDOJQWJ/story.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

Peta posted:

how scripted is espn first take?

e: i always figured they're just told to sensationalize their dumb opinions but i then i read some things that were like, "you're an idiot if you can't tell first take is massively scripted." :ohdear:

Kinda depends on your definition of scripted. They're not making up their opinions on the spot, they definitely know what they'er going to say and they know each others retorts, as with most sports talk shows. Skip Bayless is the loving Alfred Borden of sports talk though because he's almost never out of character to the point where you wonder if he actually believes the poo poo he's saying.

we should tell his daughter he's an idiot