Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Crazy Ted posted:

Would 'fuckheads' work?

parolees?

so don't read comments etc but this is the most frustrating thing ever with stats: people conflate actually making descriptive statistics that better describe performance with increasing the levels of trivial minutiae, vis

quote:

There are too many stats already, with new ones seemingly added every day. "So and so is the career leader in three yard runs following a play action pass in the 3rd quarter of away games".

the hell that's not a new stat that's just adding more criteria to # of runs

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Let's talk more about Jeff Pearlman and how terrible he is at reporting. http://www.jeffpearlman.com/albert-pujols-and-the-treatment-of-people/

ALBERT PUJOLS IGNORES PEOPLE WHILE HE PREPARES TO BE THE BEST IN THE WORLD AT SOMETHING, A BLOO BLOO BLOO.

Gerald LAIRD signs for people!

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.

Deathlove posted:

Let's talk more about Jeff Pearlman and how terrible he is at reporting. http://www.jeffpearlman.com/albert-pujols-and-the-treatment-of-people/

ALBERT PUJOLS IGNORES PEOPLE WHILE HE PREPARES TO BE THE BEST IN THE WORLD AT SOMETHING, A BLOO BLOO BLOO.

quote:

“I want to love Albert,” says Deron, a Shiloh, Illinois native who also slept out. “But he makes it hard sometimes.”

That seems just a little bit unhealthy.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
I feel like this fits here

quote:

Now remember, going into Friday, March 4, I have only watched instructional sessions, drills, batting practice and five Cactus League exhibition games. Nevertheless, my Most Valuable Indians Player right now is outfielder Travis Buck. Don't get me wrong, Carlos Santana, Shin-Soo Choo, Fausto Carmona, Lonnie Chisenhall, Chris Perez and Carlos Carrasco all look good too. But Buck is my MVP. He already has some multi-hit games, a home run and he continues to impress in the outfield.

e: some more

quote:

General Manager Chris Antonetti: Pretty simple thought here...I like him. It is kind of hard to explain, but I just do. Not only is Antonetti smart, but he seems to just "get it". I like the fact that he shows his face and watches practice and he is just a good guy

ee: wait, wait, one more

quote:

Best bullpen in the American League: Again, I have only watched a week of instructional sessions, drills, bullpens, batting practice and five Cactus League exhibition games, but the Cleveland Indians bullpen is downright nasty. It is a solid unit that is definitely the strength of the club.

AlleyViper fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 4, 2011

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE

Deathlove posted:

I don't think this is an incorrect opinion to have. He is slightly unnerved that Pujols is, by all means, kind of a dick to the fans. I can understand. It is not difficult to acknowledge fans and be friendly.

Not excusing Pearlman from sucking in other regards I just don't think this one's bad.

BackInTheUSSR fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 4, 2011

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

AlleyViper posted:

What is the point of this article

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

What is the point of this article

Ten quick thoughts

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

AlleyViper posted:

Antonetti, the grittiest of all GMs.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

BackInTheUSSR posted:

I don't think this is an incorrect opinion to have. He is slightly unnerved that Pujols is, by all means, kind of a dick to the fans. I can understand. It is not difficult to acknowledge fans and be friendly.

Not excusing Pearlman from sucking in other regards I just don't think this one's bad.

I hate the "CHARITY DOESN'T MEAN HE'S A NICE GUY!!!" bits for implying that being nice to fans is more important than donating thousands of dollars to worthy causes.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone
I honestly don't see the players as having any obligation toward fans beyond basic courtesy like not spitting chew at them or calling them faglords. They're people doing jobs like anyone else and saying they "owe their paychecks to the fans" or whatever reeks of obnoxious entitlement issues. I dunno if there's more to it than being gruff and not signing autographs but if that's all it is then a bloo bloo bloo indeed

Maybe if children are getting :qq: about not getting autographs it's the fault of a society that unnecessarily idolizes sports figures and not the fault of a dude who likes to hit base balls.

This isn't to say it's not nice to go the extra mile but it's unfair to say he's in a lower tier as a person or whatever just because he doesn't.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

A drat FOG posted:

I honestly don't see the players as having any obligation toward fans beyond basic courtesy like not spitting chew at them or calling them faglords. They're people doing jobs like anyone else and saying they "owe their paychecks to the fans" or whatever reeks of obnoxious entitlement issues. I dunno if there's more to it than being gruff and not signing autographs but if that's all it is then a bloo bloo bloo indeed

Maybe if children are getting :qq: about not getting autographs it's the fault of a society that unnecessarily idolizes sports figures and not the fault of a dude who likes to hit base balls.

This isn't to say it's not nice to go the extra mile but it's unfair to say he's in a lower tier as a person or whatever just because he doesn't.

I sometimes think about how annoying it would be to have to spend an hour after every game signing autographs and posing for pictures, I know I would eventually do whatever I could to get out of doing that poo poo.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I think that article was overblown, but I think there is an obligation to be polite and give fans the time of day. Yeah, you won't always have time to sign autographs, but ignoring fans is pretty weak.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Players refusing to sign is usually a marketing thing and has little to do with the player hating fans. Pujols has an exclusive auto deal with Upper Deck, and many memorabilia companies want to keep their players signing as little as possible to keep prices up. It sucks, but that's the way of the world, although a lot of guys get around it by signing side panel or in marker instead of pen. And some teams discourage fan interaction for various reasons.

There are exceptions even among star players. I'm not sure if Tom Glavine has ever turned down an autograph request, which Willie Randolph used to get pretty pissed about because he considered fans a distraction. But he's got the older ballplayer mentality and doesn't give a poo poo that his autograph is nearly worthless even though he's a 300 game winner and sure HOFer.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE

stuart scott irl posted:

I hate the "CHARITY DOESN'T MEAN HE'S A NICE GUY!!!" bits for implying that being nice to fans is more important than donating thousands of dollars to worthy causes.

I mean the real attack here by Pearlman if he's gonna go that route should have been "Pujols didn't give two fucks about charity till his daughter was born" but that's pretty much the case for everyone.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
The kid with Downs was the one he adopted, so I don't really think that goes against him.

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

jeffersonlives posted:

Players refusing to sign is usually a marketing thing and has little to do with the player hating fans. Pujols has an exclusive auto deal with Upper Deck, and many memorabilia companies want to keep their players signing as little as possible to keep prices up. It sucks, but that's the way of the world, although a lot of guys get around it by signing side panel or in marker instead of pen. And some teams discourage fan interaction for various reasons.

There are exceptions even among star players. I'm not sure if Tom Glavine has ever turned down an autograph request, which Willie Randolph used to get pretty pissed about because he considered fans a distraction. But he's got the older ballplayer mentality and doesn't give a poo poo that his autograph is nearly worthless even though he's a 300 game winner and sure HOFer.

This is true and it goes for all sports. The Islanders do at least 3-4 team signings a month all year long and use everyone multiple times, but in his two years here Tavares has never been apart of a team signing, only Steiner sports or immediately after his drafting, because of his various sponsorship deals and such (being that he is the only player anyone not an Isles fan would know).

Personally I really don't like the practice. But I'm also not the one making money off of it.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

AlleyViper posted:

Wrong

Wrong

Wrong

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

So remember that plan for TMZ to have an all-sports site? Well..

darrenrovell posted:

NY Post: TMZ's plans for a sports web site have "fizzled." Not enough dirt on players people are interested in (via @sbjsbd)

I guess when Deadspin also has the market cornered on athlete dirt that doesn't help.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I can't say I'm surprised. Remember ESPN's Page 3 and how quickly it vanished?

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Less than 12 hours after a 8.9 earthquake hits Japan, Bleacher Report strikes with a slideshow of natural disasters and sports. It's since been taken down and replaced with links to Red Cross, but still, it was linked from their front page, meaning somebody thought it was a good idea.

barkingclam fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 11, 2011

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Don't link to BR all they care about is pageviews.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Seriouspost where do Japan Base Ballers have spring training?

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Bigass Moth posted:

Seriouspost where do Japan Base Ballers have spring training?

Most of them are in Miyazaki (Southern Japan) I think.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Fire Cafardo.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2011/03/13/phillies_and_sox_seem_to_match_up__in_trade_pieces/

Here's his lede:

quote:

So far, the Red Sox have held up their end of this Philadelphia-Boston dream World Series scenario, but the Phillies may be messing it up with injuries. But it’s early enough for them to recover, and the injuries have not played havoc with the Fearsome Foursome pitching rotation.

die die die die die

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Why is that a "dream World Series" scenario

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

leokitty posted:

Why is that a "dream World Series" scenario

FOUR ACES versus SIGNIFICANTLY LESS THAN FOUR ACES?

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
Man he's really buying into the MLB-created "Boston-Philadelphia rivalry!!!!" thing, isn't he?

chutwig
May 28, 2001

gardenald posted:

Man he's really buying into the MLB-created "Boston-Philadelphia rivalry!!!!" thing, isn't he?

I don't understand why MLB even wants to create this rivalry. Is it not adequate to play up Phillies-Mets or Phillies-Braves, which do actually exist? Phillies-Mets in particular should be more than enough material, and I can't think of any other cases where MLB is trying to set up interleague rivalries that don't already have reasons to exist (SF/Oakland, Cubs/White Sox).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

MLB is trying to set up the Red Sox with literally anyone because they don't have a natural NL rival. They're also trying Sox-Braves because of the whole "Boston Braves" thing which was relevant in like 1950.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

NL-AL rivalries are stupid and only really excite anyone when it's two teams whose fans are always yelling at each in the same city playing. Even if Boston and Philadelphia played in the WS it wouldn't suddenly become a RIVALRY.

I blame the New York teams all being really loving good for a long time for all of this

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
At this point I really wish they would just do away with interleague all together because it's getting really drat tired. Or, at the very least, spread it out every couple of years so it's still special.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Is there a rivalry between Philly/Boson in either Basketball or Hockey? "Hey, Bruins and Flyers hate each other, why can't the Red Sox and Phillies?!"

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

TUS posted:

Is there a rivalry between Philly/Boson in either Basketball or Hockey? "Hey, Bruins and Flyers hate each other, why can't the Red Sox and Phillies?!"

Sort of yes, and sort of yes.

The Eastern Conference Finals where the Sixers beat the Celtics at Boston to advance to the NBA Finals is where the "Beat L.A." chant came from. The thing is that neither team has been good at the same time for about the past 25 years.

The Flyers and Bruins play in the same conference but not the same division. They had the epic 3-0 comeback in the playoffs last year and there's sometimes bad blood. But each team has other teams in line to be hated far, far ahead of the other. After the Rangers, Penguins, Devils, Maple Leafs, Sabres, etc I don't have the energy to hate on a team the Flyers only see a couple of times a year and every 10 in the playoffs.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
e: gently caress

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

TUS posted:

Sort of. Both are in different divisions. But both have had big tough teams throughout the years and when good certainly had a natural "two good tough teams rivalry" thing. Plus last year either Boston choked to Philly after being down 3-0 in the series.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

leokitty posted:

Don't link to BR all they care about is pageviews.

We link to deadspin all the time here though and they're quite shameless about that

but yeah, BR is obviously way worse and that was so terribly stupid

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

At this point I really wish they would just do away with interleague all together because it's getting really drat tired. Or, at the very least, spread it out every couple of years so it's still special.

Interleague play was the worst thing to ever happen to baseball since the DH and banning of short pants.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Nah, interleague owns if you're a fan of an AL team, its like 14 free wins or something :v:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Deadspin is such a hard site to get a read of because for all the horrible poo poo they do they turn around and post heartwarming stuff like this and it makes you want to like them again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutwig
May 28, 2001

Crazy Ted posted:

Deadspin is such a hard site to get a read of because for all the horrible poo poo they do they turn around and post heartwarming stuff like this and it makes you want to like them again.

I'm really glad that the first comment is BUT WHAT ABOUT THE KID DOING THE BULLYING HE COULD HAVE BEEN KILLED. As somebody who had to deal with being bullied, that video was gloriously gratifying.