Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

I mean, McCourt is partially to blame, as he had fired his head of security during the 2010 season, and had not hired a new one for the 2011 season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

ElwoodCuse posted:

Seriously, I guess I just don't "get" baseball because I've always thought the DH/No DH split was really stupid

I'm pretty sure that just about everyone agrees that it's really stupid. The problem is that everyone's split about 50/50 on whether to solve that by going All DH or No DH, so it just keeps going. Also by now there are probably dumb grognards who think that leagues with different rules is some special baseball magic and would cry if you standardized them, but grognards ruin everything anyway.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

haljordan posted:

From Dan Shaughnessy's article on how much of an ayehole Frank McCourt is:

McCourt might be a horrible owner, but is there any real proof that ANYTHING he did/did not do lead to the Bryan Stow incident? Unless there's footage of him fleeing the scene wielding a steel pipe, seems like a useless thing to include in the article.

There wasn't enough security at the games, lighting was poor, no one stepped in to stop drunks from getting out of hand. The Dodgers were even planning a series of half-off beer games when the Stow thing happened.

All of this is because of underinvestment in team operations and lack of management attention. And that's McCourt's responsibility. Plus he had no chief of security, good lord.

The LAPD ended up saying 'gently caress you' to McCourt and taking over security themselves.

You can't say any of this would've stopped the Stow thing, but there's no question McCourt is an rear end.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Mornacale posted:

I'm pretty sure that just about everyone agrees that it's really stupid. The problem is that everyone's split about 50/50 on whether to solve that by going All DH or No DH, so it just keeps going. Also by now there are probably dumb grognards who think that leagues with different rules is some special baseball magic and would cry if you standardized them, but grognards ruin everything anyway.

I am one of these grognards! It's part of what makes baseball unique, like different field dimensions.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

toadee posted:

Also Manny wasn't a quitter, the whole thing is retarded, Dan Shaughnessy is a loving jackass and it angers me so loving much that every casual fan you work with or meet in a bar around here buys into his curse of the bambino/Manny's a quitter/Nomah didn't dirt dawg it like Jeter bullshit.

Show me one person who wouldn't want Manny in his prime on their team, "baggage" and all, and I'll show you a moron (Hint: its Dan Shaughnessy).

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Seriously, I guess I just don't "get" baseball because I've always thought the DH/No DH split was really stupid

I was already a baseball fan for life before I even learned what a designated hitter was. I grew up a baseball fan, and that's how things were. It's kind of strange, but it's not that big a deal.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.
The whole NCAA mess at Carolina has resulted in many truly terrible columns. Retards attempting to play judge, jury, and executioner? Check. Insipid moralizing? Check. Misrepresentation of the facts? Check. Ridiculous hyperbole? We got that poo poo in spades. Ignoring the nuances and complexities of the case? Check.

Look, I understand that I'm somewhat sensitive to the particular brand of bullshit. That said, I don't necessarily need to agree with a sportswriter's thesis to appreciate the fact that they've written a well-conceived piece. This isn't one of them. Here's one from some redneck in Elizabeth City, known colloquially as Elizabeth lovely.

quote:

RALEIGH — In a court of law, prosecutors would have little trouble convicting North Carolina football coach Butch Davis.

After the release of the NCAA’s 42-page report detailing nine major violations against Davis and the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill football program, attention focused mainly on former assistant coach/chief recruiter/sports agent runner John Blake.

The attention is warranted. It’s pretty unprecedented for a college coach, responsible for supposed amateur athletes, to be on the payroll of both a university and a professional sports agent.

But far more damaging to the reputations of Davis and the university are allegations regarding tutor Jennifer Wiley, whom the head football coach once personally employed.

The NCAA report alleges that Wiley paid off $1,789 in parking tickets for one UNC football player, bought a $150 airline ticket for a player and provided 142 free hours of tutoring to nine football players.

Wiley appears to have provided these impermissible perks while in Davis’ personal employ tutoring his son. The help came after she was let go by the university’s sanctioned tutoring program. Oh, and she did all this after receiving a letter from the school telling her not to provide any further academic assistance to student-athletes.

Davis and the university, meanwhile, have refused to provide any information about how much he paid the tutor. Wiley has lawyered up, refusing to talk to NCAA investigators about any of it.

They apparently still have something to hide. Or, maybe talking about where a college student gets nearly $1,800 to pay off another student’s debt is just too embarrassing.

The details laid out in the NCAA report regarding Wiley’s help to football players is the kind of circumstantial evidence that criminal prosecutors love. It paints a picture not easily undone.

The NCAA, of course, is not a court of law. No one has accused Davis or his tutor of breaking any laws. Rules intended to keep collegiate sports fair are at issue.

What Davis has done is tarnish both the athletic and academic reputation of the state’s flagship university.

So far, though, the only harkening sound from over on the hill is equivocation. Or, is it just plain silence?

That so many who have nurtured and protected that reputation for so many years — Bill Friday, C.D. Spangler, Paul Hardin, Erskine Bowles — haven’t publicly called for Davis’ head is the saddest part of the whole sorry episode.

The NCAA report makes clear that the scandal marks the most significant wrongdoing in a collegiate sports program in North Carolina since a basketball point-shaving scandal enveloped UNC-Chapel Hill and N.C. State University during the early 1960s.

Yet those with significant influence in the university system sit on their hands.

Apparently those who worship at the alter of the almighty collegiate sports dollar exercise the real power within the UNC system.

Nothing else explains why this man still has his job.

brb, setting my degree on fire in the yard

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

swizz posted:

The whole NCAA mess at Carolina has resulted in many truly terrible columns. Retards attempting to play judge, jury, and executioner? Check. Insipid moralizing? Check. Misrepresentation of the facts? Check. Ridiculous hyperbole? We got that poo poo in spades. Ignoring the nuances and complexities of the case? Check.

Look, I understand that I'm somewhat sensitive to the particular brand of bullshit. That said, I don't necessarily need to agree with a sportswriter's thesis to appreciate the fact that they've written a well-conceived piece. This isn't one of them. Here's one from some redneck in Elizabeth City, known colloquially as Elizabeth lovely.

Is this from a blog or something? Or did that actually make it through an editor?

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.
That's literally a published column from one of the marquee sportswriters for The Daily Advance in Elizabeth City, NC.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Seeing Dan Shaughnessy's face beside a column entry is like the green light that lets me know to skip that story due to a lack of logic or non-Boston content.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
The DH is a totally worthless position but at the same time it's far more exciting than watching pitchers strike out 4 times a game.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

swizz posted:

quote:

So far, though, the only harkening sound from over on the hill is equivocation. Or, is it just plain silence?

Should the Stieg quote ever need to be replaced, I'd vote for this.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I don't know if it's some weird publicity grab or what, but Ashton Kutcher is an adviser for SB Nation now

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Bigass Moth posted:

The DH is a totally worthless position but at the same time it's far more exciting than watching pitchers strike out 4 times a game.

But pitcher hits are the best kind of hits and totally make up for the other 90% of ABs.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Grozz Nuy posted:

But pitcher hits are the best kind of hits and totally make up for the other 90% of ABs.

And that's why Zambrano is the best pitcher in the world.

Finally got our first :stare: out of Grantland: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6708682/the-math-problem

You can't underestimate intangibles, everyone!

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

What's really shocking is that comes from Jonah Lehrer, who has written two really enjoyable books and is an awesome regular contributor to Radiolab. I'm just going to pretend he didn't write it :smith:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't entirely disagree with that, I've seen a few people be like "They should just get rid of baseball managers :smug:" without taking into account that the "makes sure the locker room doesn't dissolve into chaos" and "makes sure everyone actually practices" part of managing can be pretty goddamn important

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The article has some ok points, but Tom Ziller has a pretty good take-down here.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

morestuff posted:

The article has some ok points, but Tom Ziller has a pretty good take-down here.

Colin Wyers piece is pretty good too

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Grozz Nuy posted:

agreed that nothing owns more than seeing a pitcher launch a dinger to improve his batting average to .059

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

swizz posted:

That's literally a published column from one of the marquee sportswriters for The Daily Advance in Elizabeth City, NC.

As someone who grew up in a household that received the Daily Advance every day I can say with some authority that they don't have a marquee anything.

But yes, that is a pretty terrible article.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I don't entirely disagree with that, I've seen a few people be like "They should just get rid of baseball managers :smug:" without taking into account that the "makes sure the locker room doesn't dissolve into chaos" and "makes sure everyone actually practices" part of managing can be pretty goddamn important

That's kind of a strawman, the thing I seriously hear advocated is that the tactical decision-making process should be removed from the manager. I haven't heard anyone seriously argue against abolishing the manager as a clubhouse manager.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

The Wise Teen posted:

As someone who grew up in a household that received the Daily Advance every day I can say with some authority that they don't have a marquee anything.

But yes, that is a pretty terrible article.

My bad if you're from E City. There are worse places down east, that is for drat sure. It was inevitable that I'd post an article about our scandal, there have definitely been a lot of them over the past year.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
You know what makes a great piece of writing? When you give a run down of your own best tweets from the day.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

AlleyViper posted:

You know what makes a great piece of writing? When you give a run down of your own best tweets from the day.

This person

looked at this tweet

@CaminoTribe Orlando Cabrera's HR off J.J. Putz shows again why you don't bring closer into a non-save. I get reasoning, but the mentality is different.

and decided it was so brilliant that he had to make sure it reached every nook and cranny of his audience

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

swizz posted:

My bad if you're from E City. There are worse places down east, that is for drat sure. It was inevitable that I'd post an article about our scandal, there have definitely been a lot of them over the past year.

Not quite, but close to there. Wasn't sure if you were from out that way, since basically no one has ever heard of the Daily Advance. I have no love for Elizabeth City though, just trying to find some common ground since you seem like an alright dude despite our irreconcilable sports fandom.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE

Deathlove posted:

And that's why Zambrano is the best pitcher in the world.

Finally got our first :stare: out of Grantland: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6708682/the-math-problem

You can't underestimate intangibles, everyone!

I hate this. The car analogy is so flimsy and I am so tired of people trying to compare basketball to baseball in terms of sabermetrics.

This paragraph loving sucks:

quote:

If that little kid were around today, he'd be obsessed with sabermetrics. He'd almost certainly win his fantasy league, but he'd miss the point of the game. Sure, he wouldn't have squandered center field on Rowand, but he also wouldn't have started Barea or bet on the Mavs. His car would have way too much horsepower and lovely seats.

This is essentially a mature version of the "You nerds play with your numbers in the basemen while I'm outside, getting dirty, having fun."

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone
Yes, he would miss the point of the game. the correct way to like baseball is THIS way, not THAT way. If you like this thing instead of that thing, you're wrong and the terrorists win. Also it's impossible to like two things.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.
I've been reading through some more of Lehrer's articles and they're equally infuriating pop-psychology/neuropsych bullshit dressed up with lots of studies used to make really vague conclusions. A bunch of other writers on Twitter swore to me that this sabermetrics article of his was an outlier, but now I'm really not so sure. His whole shtick is on misapplying statistics (which have often been obtained in a questionable fashion) to policy or medicine, and now he writes a lovely article decrying the (supposed) misuse of statistics in sports?

gently caress him.

Double gently caress him for claiming that the very existence of advanced metrics somehow induces people to misuse them.

SporkOfTruth fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jun 29, 2011

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

This loving beauty from the Indianapolis Star:

Bob Kratvitz posted:

There were foreign players chosen late in the second round whose names are a series of clicking noises. It was as if NBA general managers were playing some sinister sort of Scrabble game, grabbing Chukwudiebere Maduabum and Targuy Ngombo instead of the likes of Ohio State’s David Lighty and Butler’s Matt Howard. Ater Majok! Triple word score!

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

SporkOfTruth posted:

I've been reading through some more of Lehrer's articles and they're equally infuriating pop-psychology/neuropsych bullshit dressed up with lots of studies used to make really vague conclusions. A bunch of other writers on Twitter swore to me that this sabermetrics article of his was an outlier, but now I'm really not so sure. His whole shtick is on misapplying statistics (which have often been obtained in a questionable fashion) to policy or medicine, and now he writes a lovely article decrying the (supposed) misuse of statistics in sports?

gently caress him.

Double gently caress him for claiming that the very existence of advanced metrics somehow induces people to misuse them.

His book "How We Decide" was pretty good IMO, but if you didn't like his articles I'm not sure how much it would appeal to you.

edit: Wyers can be really unnecessarily abrasive on Twitter, but his takedown of that lovely Lehrer article is not to be missed

stuart scott fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jun 29, 2011

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.

Crazy Ted posted:

Holy poo poo this is bad

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

Crazy Ted posted:

Haha this kind of blatant race-pandering is why people hate the NBA so much.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm laughing my rear end off at the concept of a "sinister Scrabble game"

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Haha this kind of blatant race-pandering is why people hate the NBA so much.

David Lightly is black.

Knowing that, I think he is going more with known and seen American college plyaers vs completely unknown foreign players.

But the clicking noises part is bad.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Weebly posted:

David Lightly is black.

Knowing that, I think he is going more with known and seen American college plyaers vs completely unknown foreign players.

But the clicking noises part is bad.

It doesn't matter that Lightly is black. It's still a vaguely racist comment. More ethnocentric or minutely xenophobic or something.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Back of the 2nd round picks are very important. There are non-guranteed contracts and d-league roster spots at stake here!

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

The Wise Teen posted:

Not quite, but close to there. Wasn't sure if you were from out that way, since basically no one has ever heard of the Daily Advance. I have no love for Elizabeth City though, just trying to find some common ground since you seem like an alright dude despite our irreconcilable sports fandom.

At least we have the Carolina Panthers to rally aro-hahaha (seriously though, win some games)

Although we're proud of the college sports tradition in this state, this is the second summer in a row that fans have been at each others' throats with more vitriol than usual and it's just not fun or even interesting. It's as if fans of every school in the region feel as if they have some sort of stake in the NCAA ordeal, which is silly, and there's been a complete loss of perspective. Honestly, I'm tempted to chalk it up to the media shitstorm that's fallen over the state. Can we please have an MLB team soon and give sports columnists around here something to write about during the summer

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Saw this on HBT, just gonna leave it here (click for article, but the headline's the best part)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Ugh don't give John Harper pageviews, traffic bumps are a good thing for him and the NYDN.