Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I would enjoy someone who took that to the next logical extreme and got in a passionate argument with Skip Bayless where they counter Skip's attacks on LeBron by arguing that the NBA is a figment of his imagination or claim that Roger Goodell was secretly replaced by Sappamurat Niyazov, who faked his own death and fled from Turkmenistan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Jota posted:

Whenever anyone in real life says some dumb or outlandish poo poo, a bunch of people on the internet always start calling him a troll and act like they are in on the joke.

I think some of it is just an act. Skip seems savvy enough to know that he's going to have a lot more success spouting off completely idiotic viewpoints than if he was just another yes man who agreed with common sense. Those guys are a dime a dozen. That being said, he's truly a complete moron if he thought he could get away with lying about his basketball career in this day & age. It was super easy for that website to find a yearbook and expose what a liar he is.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
This is the guy that wrote a book on a football quarterback being gay (even though he isn't and wants to punch Skip if they meet face to face).

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Tae posted:

This is the guy that wrote a book on a football quarterback being gay (even though he isn't and wants to punch Skip if they meet face to face).

What was his logic on that? "I'm not saying Troy Aikman is gay and there's no proof to it...But Troy Aikman is gay."

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

DOOP posted:

Is there any proof whatsoever that Skip is a "professional troll" and the "professional troll" is not some half-baked rationalization to explain the fact that nobody can be that dumb?

I'm pretty sure that he's done an about-face on his opinions several times in order to stay opposed to whatever the popular/sensible view is. I would be shocked if ESPN doesn't explicitly employ him to argue in bad faith in order to drive ratings via outrage. As far as I'm concerned, Skip Bayless is yet another shameful example of the media manipulating their audience for profit, let alone ESPN specifically being garbage.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Mornacale posted:

I'm pretty sure that he's done an about-face on his opinions several times in order to stay opposed to whatever the popular/sensible view is. I would be shocked if ESPN doesn't explicitly employ him to argue in bad faith in order to drive ratings via outrage. As far as I'm concerned, Skip Bayless is yet another shameful example of the media manipulating their audience for profit, let alone ESPN specifically being garbage.

It's probably less devious than that; they're trying to milk as much air time out of two talking heads as they can, and both people agreeing on the majority of topics doesn't really make for compelling TV. They basically need a contrarian to make that format work.

I know it mostly works for PTI, but they're catering to different audiences with those shows.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

DOOP posted:

Is there any proof whatsoever that Skip is a "professional troll" and the "professional troll" is not some half-baked rationalization to explain the fact that nobody can be that dumb?

A lot of media people discovered that a good way to keep ratings up is to the say the stupidest contrarian poo poo possible.

It works really well for sports since there are a ton of idiot fans.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

DOOP posted:

No, none whatsoever

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

This is one of the biggest non-story stories I've seen in a while. It's on ESPN's front page right now.

quote:

Jim Irsay has his pick of quarterbacks Andrew Luck or Robert Griffin III with his Indianapolis Colts owning the NFL draft's No. 1 overall selection. He's also, however, using his Twitter account to try to play matchmaker for quarterback prospect Ryan Tannehill.

The Colts owner called Tannehill the "hidden gem" of the draft and suggested that if a team wants to select him, it will have to talk trade with the Minnesota Vikings, who own the No. 3 pick.

"Tannehill is a hidden gem in this draft, a quiet secret who was always sneaking up to #3..you want him,you better talk to Zigi The Biggie!," Irsay wrote Wednesday afternoon.

It goes on for another 1000 words.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

ESPN is finally mercy killing Page 2.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
Good, now I can don't have to renew https://www.firelynnhoppes.com

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

I know Page 2 hasn't been funny or relevant for about 7 years, but this is still kinda sad. End of an era.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Benne posted:

I know Page 2 hasn't been funny or relevant for about 7 years, but this is still kinda sad. End of an era.

a lovely era

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party
Every time I see Skip I can't help but think how good drat awesome and opposite his brother is and it makes me sigh.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

calcio posted:

Every time I see Skip I can't help but think how good drat awesome and opposite his brother is and it makes me sigh.

he's kind of an insufferable jerk in his own way but is at least legitimately talented.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Re-branded Page 2, "The Playbook": http://espn.go.com/espn/playbook/index

I really hate the way ESPN does blog layouts/etc.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
The Pulitzer Prizes were awarded today, and one of the nominations was a series of articles in the NY Times on Derek Boogaard.

Warning: quite long and very sad.

Part 1 Part 2 Part 3

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Instead of posting ESPN's garbage drug panic article about marijuana use in college football, I will just post Craggs' excellent rebuttal

http://deadspin.com/5903106/dope-scandal-why-is-espns-drugs+in+college+football-story-so-stupid?tag=scary-scary-drugs

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7829016/boston-red-sox-swoon-product-sustained-mlb-success

noted alarmist Howard Bryant clearly understands sample size. even if the basic point of the article is true - teams inevitably rebuild - it's a kneejerk piece coming off the heels of what he thinks is an absolutely soul-crushing, team-destroying defeat to Mike Napoli

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
Don't know if this was posted earlier in this thread, but this was one of the best pieces Sports Illustrated did:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1155946/index.htm

A reflection on Harvey Haddix's perfect 12 innings in Milwaukee in 1959 and on Haddix himself. Beautiful piece by Albert Chen.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

BackInTheUSSR posted:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7829016/boston-red-sox-swoon-product-sustained-mlb-success

noted alarmist Howard Bryant clearly understands sample size. even if the basic point of the article is true - teams inevitably rebuild - it's a kneejerk piece coming off the heels of what he thinks is an absolutely soul-crushing, team-destroying defeat to Mike Napoli

I haven't slept much and I read "alarmist" as "alchemist" and then I thought about how much cooler that article would have been.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I haven't slept much and I read "alarmist" as "alchemist" and then I thought about how much cooler that article would have been.

Baseball alchemists are just a bunch of antisocial warlocks mixing potions in their parents' dungeons.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

On PTI last night, Michael Wilbon completely excoriated Bo Ryan for placing ridiculous restrictions on a player who wants to transfer. I only post it here because he really teed off on coaches and the NCAA in general.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=7830048

Starts at the 8:05 mark.

Here's a good write-up of Ryan's appearance on Mike & Mike, which didn't exactly help his case:
http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/19/bo-ryan-finally-speaks-about-jarrod-uthoff-doesnt-help-his-case-at-all/

haljordan fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 19, 2012

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party

haljordan posted:

On PTI last night, Michael Wilbon completely excoriated Bo Ryan for placing ridiculous restrictions on a player who wants to transfer. I only post it here because he really teed off on coaches and the NCAA in general.
I like the format of PTI but Wilbon and Kornheiser are terrible.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

calcio posted:

They need Skip Bayless on PTI. In fact, every show needs Skip Bayless.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

calcio posted:

Sometimes (although I think Kornheiser is pretty entertaining even when he's wrong about stuff), but he was totally right there.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

ButtView posted:

Sometimes (although I think Kornheiser is pretty entertaining even when he's wrong about stuff), but he was totally right there.

Bo Ryan sounds like a real Class A Prick, whatever his motivations are. Golic brought up the point that coaches can jump ship whenever and go wherever, and all Bo Ryan could muster as a reply was "Well I don't write the rules."

Also, this list of 15 high-profile player transfer pretty much blows his "everyone else does it" theory out of the water:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/18678297/bo-doesnt-know-transfers-and-restrictions

haljordan fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 19, 2012

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Rob Neyer has a video mailbag now. I seriously can't get over his lazy eye.

E: I'm about 5 minutes in. I know premiere episodes are always rough but there are way too many jump cuts. Rehearse your lines, Rob!

Benne fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 26, 2012

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

haljordan posted:

They need Skip Bayless on PTI. In fact, every show needs Skip Bayless.

What in the world

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Every single one of those SB nation videos looks like the guy it in is about to start begging the government for a prisoner exchange with a terrorist organization.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

Every single one of those SB nation videos looks like the guy it in is about to start begging the government for a prisoner exchange with a terrorist organization.

I like Shutdown Fullback now that Spencer has gotten used to being on camera, but it is pretty slim pickings beyond that.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mornacale posted:

What in the world

We've somehow created quite the Skip Bayless fan club over in TFF. I recognize he's really good at trolling but I've resisted so far.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands

MourningView posted:

I like Shutdown Fullback now that Spencer has gotten used to being on camera, but it is pretty slim pickings beyond that.

I like a bit more of the in-house stuff. I found the process of making a football pretty interesting.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

MourningView posted:

Yeah, that show is great. They had an uphill battle launching a new show during the driest period in college football, but they made it work. The Clemson video had me in stitches.

Ufford and Rubenstein are pretty good too, but I think they're limited by the short 4-minute format. If they did a weekly 30-minute Floor episode, they'd have much more time to bounce off each other, which is their biggest strength. It could be like PTI or ATH if the hosts actually liked each other. But I think SBN is demanding daily, constant content, so we get these watered-down segments instead.

Also, Amy pulls great interviews. The channel has more potential than I thought, but they still need to iron out the rough edges.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

Benne posted:

Yeah, that show is great. They had an uphill battle launching a new show during the driest period in college football, but they made it work. The Clemson video had me in stitches.

Jason Kirk's improvement is more marked than Spencer's. When he stops trying so drat hard he's really funny. "Man, Baylor can't tackle for poo poo."

Rubenstein has done YouTube work before with The Solid Verbal so he's pretty good. Ufford seems competent on camera as well.

Haven't seen any of Bomani Jones but I have high hopes.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?
I was scrolling through the news when I saw this Maria Burns Ortiz article on the lack of Latinos in the NFL Draft.

Maria Burns Ortiz posted:

Tune into Thursday night’s first-round coverage of the NFL draft and the ensuing six rounds over the next two days, and there are a few near certainties.

Expect Andrew Luck to go No. 1. Expect Robert Griffin III to go No. 2. Expect to be inundated with analysis as experts go for days, breaking down every pick. And expect to see few – if any – Latino players called during the three-day player selection.

While high-profile Latino players like Mark Sanchez (No. 5 in 2009) and Tony Gonzalez (No. 13 overall in 1997) have been drafted early and gone on to gain notoriety, the reality is very few Latinos have been drafted into the NFL since Joe Aguirre became the first, as the 100th pick in the 1941 draft.

This year won’t be any different. Looking over lists of the top 100 prospects compiled by various experts and media outlets, one would be hard-pressed to find any Hispanic players. Temple tight end Evan Rodriguez participated in the scouting combine in Indianapolis and could go in the later rounds of the draft, but he may be it.

Of course, being a draft pick doesn’t necessarily guarantee success. Football fans can rattle off a lengthy list of selected players who never fulfilled their potential. And other roads can lead to NFL stardom. Look at undrafted free-agent wide receiver Victor Cruz, who helped the New York Giants win Super Bowl XLVI.

Still, the draft is the marquee event for players coming into the NFL and the lack of Latino players featured reflects a larger issue when it comes to America’s most popular professional sport.

While the Hispanic population has risen dramatically, jumping from 12 to16 percent over the last decade (or by some 20 million), Latinos account for only about 1 percent of NFL players.

But the lack of Hispanic players doesn’t begin on draft day.

Consider that less than 2 percent of college football players are drafted. And despite the overall demographic growth, the percentage of Latinos playing football at the Division I level has been relatively constant over the last 10 years, remaining right around 2 to 3 percent.

By contrast, black and white players each account for about 45 percent of Division I college football players. At the NFL level, those numbers shift to 67 percent black and 31 percent white. This disparity, particularly when it comes to Latino players, is certainly not lost on those concerned with diversity in the game. But changing the face of a sport – along with the institutions that shape it – is never easy or quick.

Change takes time. The NFL is on the clock.

Read more: http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/sports/2012/04/26/maria-burns-ortiz-nfl-draft-lacks-latinos/#ixzz1tAVvvqu6

What the hell is this? If there were great football players being held back, then I could see the need for an article of this nature, but that's not happening as far as I know, and if it is, she missed a great opportunity to tell me about it. If you're good at football, you'll get drafted. Did somebody do a story on the lack of Asians in the draft?

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

We've somehow created quite the Skip Bayless fan club over in TFF. I recognize he's really good at trolling but I've resisted so far.

as if I needed another reason not to read TFF

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

BasicFunk posted:

I was scrolling through the news when I saw this Maria Burns Ortiz article on the lack of Latinos in the NFL Draft.

What the hell is this? If there were great football players being held back, then I could see the need for an article of this nature, but that's not happening as far as I know, and if it is, she missed a great opportunity to tell me about it. If you're good at football, you'll get drafted. Did somebody do a story on the lack of Asians in the draft?

I don't think using the upcoming draft as a jumping-off point to discuss the lack of hispanic representation in the NFL is off base. The real problem with this article is that it doesn't actually jump off anywhere.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

stuart scott irl posted:

as if I needed another reason not to read TFF

It reeks of Stockholm Syndrome to me more than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The number of people in SAS who regularly watch mid-day ESPN talk shows is very distressing to me.