Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Say what you will about Drew Magary, but the line about Michael Jordan being the black Daniel Plainview was pretty terrific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

AsInHowe posted:

Yes, pretty much.

Lest you think this is just misogyny, the Washington Post's Christine Brennan wrote a column after the whole peephole thing to say that Erin Andrews was asking for it and encouraging someone to do that by being a sex symbol, despite Andrews never trying to actively be a sex symbol.

What a fun media climate we live in.

An easy fix for most of these problems would just be putting burkas on everybody.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

General Dog posted:

An easy fix for most of these problems would just be putting burkas on everybody.

This was a joke, by the way. I know it's hard to tell sometimes.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I just browsed it, but every word I read was terrible. How dare this attractive woman be successful. The comments below commending his "courage" are equally soul-crushing. I think a Fire Joe Morgan reunion is called for.

Edit: just loving look at this

"Faith" posted:

An extremely harsh (and poorly edited) critique of Erin Andrews, but bravo for having the guts to say some things that are very true but others are afraid to vocalize.

Andrews needs to get off the "I don't know why I'm a celebrity" kick when she's made a second career of walking red carpets, showing up at big events and getting her name and face out there in celebrity circles. She may not call the paparazzi to tell them where she is, but she constantly puts herself in position for them to find her.

Do I think she was behind the stalker and the peephole video? No. But anyone who thinks she and her people weren't behind the bikini photos or the recent dating rumors is fooling themselves. For eight years she's managed to never be photographed in a bikini, and I'm sure she's been to the beach in that time. Yet just before she jumps ship, amid rumors that no one but ESPN wants her, they manage to not only find her in a bikini, but find her wearing an ill-fitting bikini that opened up a whole new can of worms about a boob job. Horrible execution by her and her team. And all you had to do was look at her reaction to this fiasco on Twitter to know she was behind it. Poor job of playing the innocent by Andrews.

She's turned into the Kim Kardashian of the sports world - famous by her own hand for making sure she's always in front of a camera and that her name is always being mentioned somewhere. Her biggest problem since DWTS has been over saturation. That's only going to get worse now that she's with Fox. And it's just a matter of time until she wears out her welcome with audiences, if she hasn't already.

Crazy how these people whose job it is to stand in front of a camera always "happen" to be in front of a camera.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 8, 2012

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

If you're an attractive woman on television, you've implicitly accepted lifelong status as a sex symbol and a slut. Whether you're taking 3 dicks at once or getting Dabo Swinney's halftime reactions- it's all the same thing.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Crossposting from TFF, since it's kind of dead in here

Rick Reilly- always bold enough to argue a stance that virtually everyone agrees with.

Rick Reilly posted:

gently caress Notre Dame
Nice content free Rick Reilly we've all grown to ignore. "Hey Notre Dame, you suck, stop accepting all of the money and praise that the media, which I am a part of, heaps on you annually. No, that's it, I'm offering no solutions or any actual insight on Notre Dame football as an institution or how the press covers them. I'm not even going to weigh in on whether their independence is worth maintaining, how it's gotten them where they are now, or what it means for their future. I'm not going to even mention it it all. I'm just tired of you, Notre Dame because you don't win football games anymore. If you win ten games this year, all will be forgiven, and I'll give you a big 'ol blow job. Love and kisses, Rick Reilly"

Here's Mike Golic's surprisingly lucid rebuttal.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Jesus, did this guy just walk out of a time machine from 1955? Let me grab my decoder ring:

Phil Mushnick posted:

Nike, sports teams, star athletes market menacing apparel to menacing niggers. Have they no shame?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Ace Jameson posted:

Just so we're clear, do people think Mushnick is completely off-base or just partially right and taking his argument too far?

He's completely off base. He basically says that that by marketing expensive jerseys and caps to an "urban" demographic, they're responsible for promoting "gangster culture" and that the wearer of a $300 pair of shoes is actually in danger in the wrong areas. I think both of these assertions are pretty ridiculous. Let me know when Nike is selling team branded guns, and maybe then I'll be outraged.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Most cancer survivors are human garbage.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Peevin' A Smith

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Tim MacMahon took kind of a strange angle writing about last night's Cowboys loss.

quote:

Let's look at the bright side: The grand opening of the first lingerie store at a football stadium was a smashing success.

Too bad the Dallas Cowboys got exposed and were stripped of their dignity after kickoff Monday night.

---

The Cowboys are kind of like those frilly panties for sale on the main concourse club near Entry A: major sex appeal, but not much substance.

Stop slut shaming the Dallas Cowboys.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

morestuff posted:

SF Weekly just published a big takedown of Bleacher Report. Nothing that you probably don't already know, but reading all the self-loathing from those on the inside is interesting.

That's a pretty scathing takedown guys. Who's your next target, The Mountainview Elementary Kids' Kopy?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

This is not sports journalism, but holy gently caress start reading The Innocent Man (Part One and Part Two) from Texas Monthly and don't post again until you've finished.

Texas Monthly is loving fantastic most of the time. If anybody's seen Bernie, this is the story that it's heavily based on. It's pro click even if you've never heard of the movie.

For some sports content, let's revisit this Rick Reilly turd from the beginning of the season.

General Dog posted:

Crossposting from TFF, since it's kind of dead in here

Rick Reilly- always bold enough to argue a stance that virtually everyone agrees with.

Nice content free Rick Reilly we've all grown to ignore. "Hey Notre Dame, you suck, stop accepting all of the money and praise that the media, which I am a part of, heaps on you annually. No, that's it, I'm offering no solutions or any actual insight on Notre Dame football as an institution or how the press covers them. I'm not even going to weigh in on whether their independence is worth maintaining, how it's gotten them where they are now, or what it means for their future. I'm not going to even mention it it all. I'm just tired of you, Notre Dame because you don't win football games anymore. If you win ten games this year, all will be forgiven, and I'll give you a big 'ol blow job. Love and kisses, Rick Reilly"

Here's Mike Golic's surprisingly lucid rebuttal.

I'm curious to see if he's going to attempt to backpedal on this, ignore it entirely, or attempt to take credit for Notre Dame's resurgence.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Nov 14, 2012

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

midwat posted:

Every time I try to get into college football, I'm reminded that it's a kafkaesque, ludicrous nightmare.

Yeah it's great, what else are you waiting for?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

"Garlic fries, crab sandwiches on grilled sourdough bread, clam chowder, fried calamari, sweet potato fries with cinnamon and chipotle sprinkle, and clove garlic chicken sandwiches."

Those all sound loving delicious.

Got news for mr. rear end in a top hat writer, it's all about making a buck. They know that they can convince someone to spend money there instead of some local restaurant downtown before or after the game, they've done their job.

It's hardly new, nor is it an attack on tradition. If anything, that's kind of encouraged me to attend a Giants game in the future.

http://mlb.mlb.com/det/ballpark/concessions.jsp

By the way, his beloved Tigers? Serve Asian, Mexican and a whole array of other things that at their ballpark.

This all just sounds like a little harmless saber rattling to me, and I think any dog whistle homophobia that may be present is subtle enough to be harmless. He's just saying that San Francisco is hoity toity, Detroit is for manly men. It's the oldest fan banter there is.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

davecrazy posted:

He's 100% right, so what's the problem?

There's nothing compelling about about writing 4000 words on a premise that is a) almost universally agreed upon and b) has been discussed as nauseum for at least the past 35 years.

Reilly is the king of low-hanging fruit. If it was 1994, I could imagine him writing something like, "Despite the good memories, Justice System Needs to Hold O.J. Accountable". Or you can look no further than his "Notre Dame Sucks and Receives too much attention" column from last September.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 27, 2013

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Vertical Lime posted:

So today marks the announcement of the worst kept secret in sports media. Fox Sports One:

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/FOX-Sports-announces-FOX-Sports-1-network-030513

It certainly looks like it has a better chance of succeeding than NBC or CBS' sports networks. Except maybe for that late afternoon Regis show.

If anybody can slow down ESPN's march toward controlling the entire landscape, it can only be a good thing. Hopefully this means We could see Fox tweaking some of it's network and regional studios as well, because boy are they terrible.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The fact that we're talking about Stephen A Smith is evidence that ESPN has already won.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Simmons was spot on, but ESPN is well within its right to punish an employee for public criticism, regardless of the criticism's merits. Simmons could definitely thrive with someone else, but you're crazy to think he's inexpendable for a company with a virtual monopoly on sports coverage and a site that's going to get more traffic than god no matter who's writing for it. Their main incentive to keep him is how much they've invested in Grantland.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I feel like Bill Simmons' entire career has been leading up to this moment.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

In reguards to all the talk about Leuke, he's clearly a piece of poo poo and should probably be in jail, but that's the failing of the legal system, and I don't think the Tampa Bay Rays or whoever chooses to employ him have any obligation to right that injustice.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Can we just use less violent sexual imagery and say somebody got boned in a trade?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Though she never had children, Marge Schott was basically America's Grandma.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Now this here is a read.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

barkingclam posted:

Simmons has a weird history writing about stuff like that. Remember his basketball book when he'd say something like "I'm not black enough to write about this but.." and go on for paragraphs about the hall of fame or whatever? As Charles Pierce said:

I think the need to immediately contextualize any sporting against an overly broad historical backdrop is Simmons' signature tic. The further he reaches from the field of play, the dumber the theories become (or maybe it just becomes more obvious).

Then again, I'd say that the compulsion to immediately put every event in historical context is an issue with pretty much every facet of media right now.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Zeeman posted:

Part III of the Tim Tebow Chronicles, which is sharing secrets with us all:

Holy poo poo how did I not catch up with this earlier? Can't wait for the 30 for 30 episode.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Watch the last 15 minutes of Around the Horn and the first 15 minutes of PTI, and that should be enough non-event ESPN for the day.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Akileese posted:

Just in case you didn't want Jon Heyman to be struck by a bus yet I present to you this flaming bag of dogshit.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/j...campaign=Buffer

On the bright side, we only have to hear this poo poo for about another 40 years before this generation of sportswriters dies out.

Josh Lyman posted:

I wasn't sure where to post this, but hopefully I'll get some useful replies in this thread. With The Tony Kornheiser Show off for the summer, what radio/podcasts should I listen to for entertainment and/or edification?
Listen to Uhh Yeah Dude.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

ESPN's busy celebrating Nelson Mandela's crowning achievement- getting South Africa the World Cup.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

morestuff posted:

Could have been worse

And thus "giving the Heisman stiff arm" entered the bro lexicon.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Can't wait to see where this one falls in Simmons' inevitable "Journalism Eff-Ups Pantheon" article.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Not to be that guy, but it's very possible Simmons has high functioning autism.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

AsInHowe posted:

Personally, I'm looking forward to the Grantland mailbag where Bill honestly responds to the emails written in by angry transgender readers, but publishes each email with a name and hometown attached, followed by another column where he wonders why people are complaining.

Yep, these are my readers.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

C. Everett Koop posted:

I thought Bonds had only withdrawn his likeness for games/cards/whatever?

And the problem with Bonds' collusion is that he'd have to prove it, and it's too easy for all the clubs to just say "we don't want a 40 year old with an injury history even though he'd be the best hitter on our team by a country mile" without documented proof. The owners being dumbshits and making their collusion obvious is what busted them before. Like String said, don't take notes on a criminal loving conspiracy.

Plus, it's not like teams have a responsibility to sign a player just because he can still play. I'm generally a Bonds defender, but if none if the owners wanted to take on the PR issues that would come with signing Bonds, then that's their decision to make.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

This is apropos of nothing, but when is ESPN going to launch its inevitable late night talk show hosted by Bill Simmons?

General Dog fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 21, 2014

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

It's kind of like PED's in the NFL: not treated like a huge deal but if it happens in Major League Baseball then THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

Fortunately the rigors of a 162 game season leave baseball players too tired to rape.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

ElwoodCuse posted:

Josh Lueke

He was probably a starter at the time, starters don't count. Way too much free time on their hands. Evert starting pitcher ever is a rapist except Christy Matthewson, Orel Hersheiser, and Dave Dravecky (bones too weak).

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

ayn rand hand job posted:

He was starting in A ball.

The Rangerts should have scuttled his career immediately, but they instead dumped him on Seattle saying "Yeah, he only started 4 games because he was accus-er-acuitted of rape."

What, should they have just executed him rather than getting some value out if him from some other sucker?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

morestuff posted:

It looks like Grantland, FiveThirtyEight and ESPN are going to be putting out a lot more video content.

Can't wait to see more of those hot, hot Girls in Hoodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

peepoogenderparts posted:

Wow

I don't know if I've ever really paid attention to this writer for Yahoo Sports, but man this is one of the most overly-written, Bill Plashke wannabe drivel I've seen in a while.

Who the hell wants to be Bill Plashke?