Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drinkin ur gfs milk
Jan 2, 2005

by Tiny Fistpump
Rented in because it stars my main man Zach Galifianakis. Wimpcore lead Michael Cera plays Nick Twisp, a socially awkward movie buff and aspiring writer, a virgin looking for love while living with his mom and her loser boyfriend (Galifianakis). On vacation at an RV Park, Nick tries to woo brainy blonde Sheeni (played by Portia Doubleday), a sharp girl who dreams of traveling the world. In a desperate attempt to grow a pair, Nick develops an alternate personality 'Franswa', a likable pyromaniac who doesn't take poo poo from nobody.

I was pleasantly surprised by what I thought would be a timid Michael Cera, who instead is a total bad-rear end, starting fires, destroying property and manipulating others for personal gain. It's refreshing to see Cera break from his typecast mould of quiet, effeminate lamb. I went in hating Cera and came out loving him, and this movie has it all; funny characters you care about, great music, amazingly creative & psychedelic visuals, not to mention Steve Buscemi and a hilarious shroom-eating Justin Long. The story is charming and partially a love tale, but not enough to make it a Rom-Com.

Completely enjoyable film experience. Go rent it!

5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I got my Red Box free rental code today and decided to try this movie, there wasn't much else to choose from so why the hell not.

I like Cera, albeit the wimpy-passive-aggressive persona of former roles has worn thin, this was a bit refreshing in the sense that he had an imagined hardcore alter-ego self (think Fight Club). Although, he still had plenty of scenes where I just wanted to punch him hard in the gut and shake the "girly-man" out of him.

I liked the cast, but most of the characters were too far-fetched from reality for my taste. The two main characters are the focus, and they seem more real throughout the picture, while the supporting cast is mostly played to extreme (possibly to set the contrast).

I had several spots where I was slapping my knee in laughter just at the whimsical humor. I'm probably that one guy in the theater who laughs when everyone else is trying to figure out what the big deal is.

Fun movie.

4/5

(If you are interested in joining the free-rental-per-month club with Red Box, check out their website. They don't always have the best titles, but free is cool.)

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Hey goons! Did you like Fight Club but wish Edward Norton was more insecure and goony? THEN THIS IS THE FILM FOR YOU! FIVE loving STARS!