Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

nitsuga posted:

LG, both have their fans, but I’d go try acoustics out yourself (and try a bunch). There are a number of good options, even in the lower end of the market.

i’ve tried a bunch of taylors and martins. the 7/8 or 3/4 taylors were the most comfortable acoustics i’ve ever played, and sounded great. the martins played okay but i didn’t like the sound. i think i read here something about martins needing “time to open up” or something, but it’s hard for me to justify really buying a guitar and just trusting it’ll sound good eventually.

i’ve never found a seagull in stores to try, but it seems like they’re a really good value, like, you get more for your money with them than with other brands.

i want to spend like $600 or thereabouts on one, that has decent ish electronics for demos and working in a pinch. other than that, i think micing acoustics sounds better pretty much always.

i’ve also come to realize that i really like small or short scale instruments. i’m small and pretty weak so strings being as easy to fret as possible and stuff like that, really helps my accuracy and helps me feel like i actually have a command over the instrument.

the peach strat is actually kinda difficult to play for me because it’s 25.5 and the fret size is pretty big, at least compared to the telecaster i learned on for like two years (narrow tall frets). i just deal because it’s such a loving good guitar in every other way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I think the Academy 12E from Taylor is pretty great. It was my first acoustic. A little sterile looking though. Seagulls are cool and sound great, though the tiny headstock weirds me out.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If you played a Taylor and liked the Taylor, you won't feel bad buying a Taylor. The Seagulls are nice but not like, mind-bendingly better for half the price. Just another good option that might or might not click with you.

The "Martins open up" thing is a lot more true of the all-solid wood ones. The X-series HPL ones are probably never going to sound different than they do on the shelf, and I personally wouldn't buy one. When you're paying $1500 for an all-solid American made Martin, that's an heirloom-quality instrument. If your budget is $500-750, you can do a lot better than the X-series IMO.

Basically I'd rather own a $2k Martin than a $2k Taylor (just on preference), but I'd rather own a $500 Taylor than a $500 Martin.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

ColdPie posted:

I think the Academy 12E from Taylor is pretty great. It was my first acoustic. A little sterile looking though. Seagulls are cool and sound great, though the tiny headstock weirds me out.

I really liked playing one as well. The bevel where your arm rests is genius. Ended up going home with a walnut 110ce though, it was about the same price and I just loved the sound of it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

landgrabber posted:

seagull or taylor?

What's your budget?

I personally have never really liked seagull guitars, mostly because the ones at the shop I grew up with were all fairly entry level guitars. I'm sure their mid-upper level guitars are solid but I've never seen many of them.

Taylor's play really great but are often way too bright and treble focused for my tastes. I like some that I've played but there were often $2k+

With acoustics, each one will play and sound dramatically different. String types make a difference, new vs old strings make a huge difference, mostly in brightness.

When I bought my last one, I just played everything around me that I could get my hands on, mostly dreadnoughts because I wanted a very traditional acoustic. I gave myself a reasonable budget of around $1200. I played everything from ~$500 and up in every store around me.

After a few weeks of looking, I was almost certain I was going to buy a Martin D12 or special. Then I found a used breedlove roots dreadnought (at guitar center of all places) and fell in love. It plays incredibly well, sounds great and is well balanced tonally. It was $700 used, I think it retailed for $1600 new a few years ago. I literally couldn't put it down because I was worried someone else would buy it. It was less expensive than I planned for which was nice for essentially a custom shop guitar, with a super lux original hardshell case. I used the rest of the budget and bought a telecaster the same day. It's been a few years but every time I play the acoustic I can't get over how it sounds.

Play all the guitars you can find in person. I would have a difficult time buying an acoustic online.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

At $600 (and going for something small body) I'd highly recommend checking out Alvarez, Guild, or Luna.
I've only ever held an alvarez in hand but they're all highly respected brands that you could snag used for ~$300 and they all make beautiful and unique small body/parlor sizes, and the alvarez for the money is the best <$1000 acoustic I've got in my collection.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
The seagulls I've played never clicked with me, partly because of the neck.

I was strongly considering a Taylor 214 or something but ended up with a Breedlove on clearance and I'm very happy with it.

If you're looking for smaller sizes then play a Taylor gs mini if you haven't already.

Yamaha also makes some nice stuff at that price point. I think I tried out an LS6 or something that was great.

Actually going to a few stores and playing lots seems more important for acoustics than electrics.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

havelock posted:

Actually going to a few stores and playing lots seems more important for acoustics than electrics.

Yeah. I posted about this before, but I went to help my sister pick out an acoustic to learn on, so we tried a whole bunch. I was surprised how quickly I was able to turn down guitars, especially with how relatively new I am to playing. There were a bunch where I'd pick it up, strum two chords and fingerpick five notes and go "nope." Most surprising to me was that same laminate top Martin someone mentioned above. Sounded real crummy, I was surprised Martin put their name on it.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I bought a ~400 dollar Seagull like 12 years ago and have never considered needing another acoustic.

Seagulls are the poo poo.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

havelock posted:

The seagulls I've played never clicked with me, partly because of the neck.

I was strongly considering a Taylor 214 or something but ended up with a Breedlove on clearance and I'm very happy with it.

If you're looking for smaller sizes then play a Taylor gs mini if you haven't already.

Yamaha also makes some nice stuff at that price point. I think I tried out an LS6 or something that was great.

that was what i played that i really liked, i think. a GS mini.

not sure if it had electronics though

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."
I have a GS Mini. It rules.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

havelock posted:

I agree with this bit for sure.

I buy most of my electrics online but trying out different price level acoustics they are all so different I just come back home to my old beat up samick for my acoustic needs out of fear. I fear liking the expensive ones because I have no self control, you see.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

landgrabber posted:

i’ve tried a bunch of taylors and martins. the 7/8 or 3/4 taylors were the most comfortable acoustics i’ve ever played, and sounded great. the martins played okay but i didn’t like the sound. i think i read here something about martins needing “time to open up” or something, but it’s hard for me to justify really buying a guitar and just trusting it’ll sound good eventually.

i’ve never found a seagull in stores to try, but it seems like they’re a really good value, like, you get more for your money with them than with other brands.

i want to spend like $600 or thereabouts on one, that has decent ish electronics for demos and working in a pinch. other than that, i think micing acoustics sounds better pretty much always.

i’ve also come to realize that i really like small or short scale instruments. i’m small and pretty weak so strings being as easy to fret as possible and stuff like that, really helps my accuracy and helps me feel like i actually have a command over the instrument.

the peach strat is actually kinda difficult to play for me because it’s 25.5 and the fret size is pretty big, at least compared to the telecaster i learned on for like two years (narrow tall frets). i just deal because it’s such a loving good guitar in every other way.

It sounds like you have a good grasp of what you want already. A smaller scale acoustic of some sort does sound like a good fit. Sweetwater lets you do lots of filtering, so that might be a good place to start to find what is out there, but Taylor is pretty notable for their Mini guitars as other posters have mentioned.

I like my Seagull, but fretting does take a fair amount of effort, and there isn’t much getting around some tension at 25.5” with typical acoustic gauges in my experience. Epiphone might be worth checking out too, and even Yamaha makes some pretty good looking acoustics with the features you’re looking for.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
OK

I have updated the new OP:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3341553&pagenumber=1533&perpage=40#post523363465

Taking another round of feedback and if anyone wants to prepare a post on going direct to PC (or any other cool niche information for the FAQ) please feel free to start thinking about that.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Guys I have a small issue. Anytime I oil my fretboard, but especially this last time, it makes the strings feel super gross after. It's hard to explain how, but it just does. And it sucks because I do it when putting new strings on! The brand I used last time was the F-One Fretboard Oil. It doesn't say what it is, other than "A formula of ultra rare oils". I also have Dunlop 65 Lemon Oil, which has been a while since I used it, but I noticed it kind of does it too, but I don't remember it being near as bad.

A - is there a better product you guys recommend and

B- what if I use the oil, gave it a bit of time to soak in and remoisturize the wood, then used a small bit of naptha to wipe down the board again after to clean the oil residue off? I imagine that would probably work wouldn't it? I actually need to find real naptha, apparently regular lighter fluid doesn't have it anymore. Perhaps a little alcohol would work as well? I did try to just use a dry rag to wipe it down, but it still made my strings gross as hell after. I honestly just avoid using the oil, but sometimes my fretboards get dry and really need it.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I used Feed-n-Wax. Just wipe it off with a paper towel or something. I've never had it makes the strings feel weird after.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I guess it's like a weird sticky feeling although not really sticky like syrup or something would be, just the opposite of smooth or something like that. It feels extra gross to slide. I think I'll just not use the F one brand anymore and stick with the lemon oil. I do remember whatever weird feeling the lemon oil gave would go away, but it's been a couple days now after using the F one and it still feels bad.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
I've never noticed a difference after using F65 to be honest. I just hock it on, leave it for five minutes while I'm cleaning the rest of the guitar, then wipe any left off before working on anything else. I DO notice a difference in string feel after using Fastfret, but it's not unpleasant and smells amazing...

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Yeah, I'm fine with fast fret. In fact I tried to cover it up with some, it helped a little, but even fast fret couldn't get rid of whatever it is.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i have a really dumb question and im not sayin anything about you, but this is a rosewood fretboard, right? I uh, i made a mistake early on when i got some lemon oil. haha.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
ebony i'm pretty sure. It was looking pretty dry, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered with the oil.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Ebony doesn't really need to be oiled much, if ever.
It's a dense wood and oil won't really soak in much. That's probably why you're getting gunk on the strings,it's not really soaking in much.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'm just paranoid of ebony cracking after Solar's ebony fiasco. Although I think that was probably a curing issue during construction thing with them, and this is an SLSMG which is already about 12 years old, so I suppose it's probably fine. It did look dry though.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I don't think I've ever oiled a fretboard on any guitar of mine in 23 years of playing, but I'm a greasy motherfucker so I'm sure they're soaking that up.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I use Howard's feed n wax too. Once the oil from it soaks in you can buff it up to a pretty good shine and it stays that way for a long time.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Got my first effect pedal last week, a cheap Behringer Ultra Chorus. Had a bunch of fun with that but last night I found that it won't turn on and I can't run through it to the amp. I was running off of a battery, is life typically that short? I don't think I left it turned on, I had assumed the pedal acted as an on/off switch so it wasn't using power when I didn't apply the effect, but I thought the signal would pass through with it off. Is it normal that without power it will not pass the signal through?

I should probably look into getting it mains power since dealing with batteries over and over will be a pain.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

BizarroAzrael posted:

Got my first effect pedal last week, a cheap Behringer Ultra Chorus. Had a bunch of fun with that but last night I found that it won't turn on and I can't run through it to the amp. I was running off of a battery, is life typically that short? I don't think I left it turned on, I had assumed the pedal acted as an on/off switch so it wasn't using power when I didn't apply the effect, but I thought the signal would pass through with it off. Is it normal that without power it will not pass the signal through?

I should probably look into getting it mains power since dealing with batteries over and over will be a pain.

Did the battery come with the pedal? I know Boss uses a kind of testing-battery with almost no juice that they just leave in the pedal.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

BizarroAzrael posted:

“Behringer Manual” posted:

The UC200 has no on/off switch. As soon as you insert the jack into the in connector, the UC200 begins running. When not using the UC200, remove the jack from the in connector. This extends the life of the battery.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Most pedals use a stereo jack to turn the power on/off if you're running off of battery you have to unplug them.
One spot adapters are a cheap multi power supply if you want to leave everything plugged in all the time.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Malaria posted:

I used Feed-n-Wax. Just wipe it off with a paper towel or something. I've never had it makes the strings feel weird after.

This. Feed & Wax is the bestest. Put it on, wait a couple minutes, wipe off, buff.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009

Cheese Thief posted:

Really pretty guitar is my favorite. I like to play whist-fully, beautifully and dreamily. One of my favorite probably is Johnny Marr, hearing him play There is a Light on the Ric 330 through a Fender Tube is S-Tier sparkle and shine.
What are some other guitar players, songs, tracks that play in that sort of style? I was at first drawn to shoegaze to fill that, but it's not really on the same plain.

I'm also into answers to this because I do not find that I have patience for a lot of what I'm told is shoegaze, but I do love big shimmering guitar sounds that you can feel in your skull. This Johnny Marr bit gets into some of what you're talking about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj3h1h_c7Ls&t=15s

This is the kind of thing I've been doing lately in that vein of turning your daydreams into sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V-KOBxZpcU

... which I guess is pretty shoegazey? Shoegaze has always smelled to me of masturbatory art school bullshit, and that's exactly what I've made here (but it's my bullshit so I like it).

anyway post more big shimmering guitar sounds

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

After seeing it a couple weeks ago on the JHS show, I picked up the Nux NDD-7 Tape Echo from the only place I could find it, which was one seller on Reverb -- it looks like it's not "out" until July, officially?

Either way, this thing is really rad and impressively well built.

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

Cheese Thief posted:

Really pretty guitar is my favorite. I like to play whist-fully, beautifully and dreamily. One of my favorite probably is Johnny Marr, hearing him play There is a Light on the Ric 330 through a Fender Tube is S-Tier sparkle and shine.
What are some other guitar players, songs, tracks that play in that sort of style? I was at first drawn to shoegaze to fill that, but it's not really on the same plain.

Check out The Sundays. They are essentially The Smiths with a female vocalist, at least on Reading, Writing and Arithmetic and Blind.

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtsKU6AYNNU

I'm really under selling the singer, Harriet Wheeler. Right there with Allison Krauss etc.

Luna fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 19, 2022

Luna
May 31, 2001

Dukes Mayo Clinic posted:

I'm also into answers to this because I do not find that I have patience for a lot of what I'm told is shoegaze, but I do love big shimmering guitar sounds that you can feel in your skull. This Johnny Marr bit gets into some of what you're talking about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj3h1h_c7Ls&t=15s

This is the kind of thing I've been doing lately in that vein of turning your daydreams into sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V-KOBxZpcU

... which I guess is pretty shoegazey? Shoegaze has always smelled to me of masturbatory art school bullshit, and that's exactly what I've made here (but it's my bullshit so I like it).

anyway post more big shimmering guitar sounds

When I break down shoegaze to it's components, it usually doesn't hold up but for creating a mood, there's not much better.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Huxley posted:

OK

I have updated the new OP:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3341553&pagenumber=1533&perpage=40#post523363465

Taking another round of feedback and if anyone wants to prepare a post on going direct to PC (or any other cool niche information for the FAQ) please feel free to start thinking about that.

That looks really good to me. The headers look good in dark and light mode now, and the advice is all pretty sound. All the same, I wonder if a few resources for the repair jobs shouldn't be linked. Maybe something like this:

Possible additions to Guitar OP posted:

Here are some good resources for learning about how to repair your guitar:

1. StewMac YouTube channel (lots of how-to videos by the legendary Dan Erlewine and company): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdr6rJVSSx54ByuY5U2ohTQ
2. Premier Guitar DIY Blog (articles spanning everything from wiring mods to recording techniques and much more): https://www.premierguitar.com/videos/diy/
3. Sweetwater inSync Blog (broad coverage like Premier Guitar, but there is all kinds of great advice here for developing musicians): https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/?page=2&topic=guitar
4. As with any topic covered in this post, :justpost: if you're in need of advice. Chances are at least a few fellow guitarist goons have something to offer.
I'd try my hand at the direct-to-PC section, but my advice would be to buy an Apple computer and use GarageBand, so I'm not sure that's all that helpful.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Luna posted:

Check out The Sundays. They are essentially The Smiths with a female vocalist, at least on Reading, Writing and Arithmetic and Blind.

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtsKU6AYNNU

I'm really under selling the singer, Harriet Wheeler. Right there with Allison Krauss etc.

RWaA is one of my favorite all-time albums.

If you like the Smiths even a little bit you really owe it to yourself to check at least that one album out

Luna
May 31, 2001

Ok Comboomer posted:

RWaA is one of my favorite all-time albums.

If you like the Smiths even a little bit you really owe it to yourself to check at least that one album out

Just like The Smiths, from jangly guitars to the privileged pessimism.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Lumpy posted:

This. Feed & Wax is the bestest. Put it on, wait a couple minutes, wipe off, buff.

is this some kind of product made from goats that i pick up from my local co-op

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

is this some kind of product made from goats that i pick up from my local co-op

It's for wood floors.
You can buy it on Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I bought the bottle I have like 5 years ago from home depot.
It's in the aisle with the other wax for wood products near all the wood stain and poo poo.