Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

I'm GAS'ing pretty bad over the Hagstrom Viking right at the moment. Especially the p90-version.

I can't really tell what's the big difference between these to: (Viking IIp Ultralux & Viking P).
Does any of you know how they compare tonally/playing-wise? I haven't been able to find a lot of details online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Some sweet guitar synth-triggering at 9:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcHLhZX47Wg&t=555s

I think I need one of those things

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

How basic is that Chord Chemistry-book mentioned a few pages back?

From reading reviews it sounds like it's somewhat complicated. I have some idea of what interval are. Is that a good starting-point?

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Can any of you recognize this?:

e|---------------------|-------------------|
b|---------------------|-------------------|
g|---------7h9p7-------|----------9b--7----|
d|---7--9---------9----|----7--9-------9---|
a|---------------------|-------------------|
E|---------------------|-------------------|

I feel like I've heard it before, but I can't place it.

h is hammer-on, p is pull-off and b is bend a full note and release.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

baka kaba posted:

Sounds a bit like Black Dog in a way? That's a really common little bluesy box riff so it depends how you're playing it really, you could have heard it anywhere

e- do you mean that's a pre-bend in the second bit (bend 7 to 9, play it and let it back down to 7), or are you bending 9 to 11? That would make it a bit more unusual!

The bend is right after the string is picked at the 9th fret. So 9 - bend to 11 and release.

It might actually be a garbled version of the riff from Edwyn Collins - A girl like you, come to think of it.
Or maybe it's just common enough that it sounds familiar.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Schpyder posted:

gently caress Gibson forever. Only way I'd consider owning one is if I won it, and even then, I'd probably just immediately flip it and buy a G&L and a couple Reverends.

Yeah. It's not like there's a shortage of good or even great guitars on the market. But you got to have an X-guitar to sound like Slash/Hendrix/Clapton.
Guitarist are stupid like that.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

ihopeirememberthis posted:

I'm getting back into playing guitar again. I have a Yamaha dreadnought style acoustic and I'm hoping to replace it with another acoustic that's everything the dreadnought is not. What I'm looking for is something small, easy to play, light under the fingers. I'll probably be using a pick and have smallish hands so a thin neck might also be good. I guess I'm kind of looking for an electric guitar I can play without an amp. Where do I start looking? Any suggestions? Budget is £200, $325.

Maybe a centerblock semi-acoustic? I have a Hagstrom Viking that has a quite skinny neck. It's over your budget though. But there's probably an Epiphone Dot or something like it in your price-range.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Which three scales would you learn first if you were a beginner again? Which are most useful/common?

Is it smarter to start by:

a) learning scale X in one key, all positions on the fretboard or

b) learning scale X in all keys, one position each?

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

How big of a change in string-gauge can you generally get away with before you need to get your guitar set up again?
I'm thinking I want 9s instead of 10s on my electric. It's a Hagstrom Viking, which supposedly has a very stable trussrod.
Will there any appreciable difference in string-pull between a 9-42 and a 9-46-set?

It's weird because it's one of the first areas where I've noticed I have a preference in my playing. That must mean some kind of progress.
:feelsgood:

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

It's a hardtail, so I think I'll try it out and see how it goes.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

firebad57 posted:

There's a piece I am playing on my VMJM in which the composer calls for me to tune my high e string down to a D while playing, and as I am practicing it, I'm noticing little clicks at the nut as the string moves down in pitch. I have to tune it down the whole step pretty quickly (over the course of like four 4/4 bars at ~132).

I am imagining this is caused by a small burr or something in the nut groove, and that if I practice this part a bunch (which I need to do), it might snap the string. Or it could do this during a performance, which would be LOVELY.

As a weirdo classical guitarist, I have plenty of good metal files and low-grit sandpaper lying around, but no idea how to smooth out a nut slot properly. Can anyone explain it to a noob well enough for me to try to fix it myself?

Try lubricating the groove with some graphite from a pencil before you break out the sand paper.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

I'm playing with the idea of getting a project-guitar to mess around with pickup configuration and whatnot. I got my heart set on a tele and a 500$ budget (but it can be cheaper).

So far I've looked at Squier Affinity, Squier Classic Vibe, some of the cheaper G&L Asat-models.

What would you get in that situation?

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Heartbroken 2Twice posted:

When you say 'pickup configuration' do you mean switching in humbuckers? I've seen some reports that the Classic Vibe Custom has humbucker routing in the neck position, so you'd only need to get a new pickguard instead of routing your body.

If you're still working out the electronics, the Bill Lawrence site has some interesting configurations you might find inspiring! The stock pickups on a lot of Squiers are great IMO, and it's really easy to work on the electronics so you're in for a great time.

I plan to do all kinds of messing around with this guitar. Experimenting with the pickup-wiring, maybe routing the neck for a p-90 and playing around with component-values. I have access to a metal-workshop so I might try to machine a brass bridge-plate or a nut.

Eventually I'd like to build an electric from (near)-scratch, so this is a learning-project.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Allen Wren posted:

poo poo, I should have asked earlier, I could easily undercut the prices there and still make out like a bandit. Unfort, I gotta get the cash together today.

See if you can find a facebook-group for local gear-sales/trades. The ones local to me has a pretty brisk trade.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Has any of you tried this thing:

https://www.musicisum.net/

It looks like a Duolingo for guitar.
Two of the dudes in Rob Chapmans band made it.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Hugoon Chavez posted:

This was interesting so I'm quoting it in case you guys missed it:

Wonder if it's any good/worth the money for a beginer.

I did part of the free content last night and it's quite good for a free video-course. I haven't unlocked any of the training-exersizes though.
The gamification part of it, with unlocking new content and logging your practice-time, is pretty motivating.

The first part is free, so you haven't lost any money if you find out you can't stand the guys face or that it's not the right thing for you.
There's a promo-video on Rob Chapmans youtube-Channel if you want to know more.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

A Winner is Jew posted:

I thought that as well until I found this

Semi-hollow baritone with a HB+P90. :yum:

Hagstroms are pretty amazing.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Verizian posted:

Mainland Europe try Thomann.de and compare their Harley Benton range to full price. The £30 vintage overdrive pedal competes well with full on Ibanez Tubescreamers and their diy kits are the best around if you have basic woodworking skills.

UK you have loads of stores with big sales right now, Andertons, GAK, and GuitarGuitar for examples.

Rondo you have to pay shipping and most guitars want a mandatory hardcase too so not worth it for the UK/EU.

I have one of the Thomann telecasters. The TE-80. It's super well made for a 90-100£ guitar.
There's some lemons in the Harley Benton brand though, so it's worth your time to google for some reviews before you buy one.
e: but generally the brand is amazing value-for-money.

Pondex fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jan 1, 2015

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Drone posted:

I thought about just spending the extra 20 Euro and getting another Epiphone LP Special II like the one I used to have back in the States (it's just a tad more expensive than the Thomann TE-80 you mentioned). I really quite liked playing it, it was comfortable and I enjoyed the sound for a lower-priced beginner guitar.

Edit: comparing these two bundles. They're roughly the same price, and it seems a fairly decent start. Similar to the setup I bought for myself back in the US way back when (though I got a much more expensive amp)

Harley Benton TE-80 Bundle
Epiphone Slash AFD LP Performance Pack

I'd probably jump on that second one if it were the EB color and not the AFD, but details.

Like I said, the TE-80 is very good for the money. Only downside Imho is that it's heavy. Like, Les Paul-heavy. But they have a lot of different guitars (even if you only look at their TE-series). So there's bound to be something you can use.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

TopherCStone posted:

Actually, Thomann isn't even a bad idea for people in the US looking for something unusual. I remember people were buying a Harley Benton Tele that was a replica of Prince's and the shipping was surprisingly reasonable.

Yeah, that's the TE-80. They went a little nuts about it on the telecaster forums for a while. :)

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Warcabbit posted:

Fender is really fendering as hard as they possibly can with these things. I swear, the weird poo poo that's been popping up...

What exactly does fendering entail? Sounds cool.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

HollisBrown posted:

Anyone have any good tips for not gripping so hard while playing?

When I practice or play country/jazz/blues my technique is good and I play really lightly, but If I play rock/Hendrixy stuff my fingers are fatigued in just a few minutes

I wrote a little reminder to myself. I find it also adds a bit of mojo to my playing.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

muike posted:

hagstrom?

Yeah. The Viking P-90.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Am I too dumb to find Jazz 3's with max-grip in XL online, or is it because they don't exist?

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Declan MacManus posted:

I've only seen the XLs in standard, stiffo, :h::h:ultex:h::h:, and tortex, and that's all I can find on Dunlop's website. Looks like you're out of luck

Turns out they're pretty awesome in the normal size anyway so no worries. :haw:

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

I use Guitar Toolkit which has both a metronome w. tap-tempo and a drum-machine. Besides all the other cool poo poo it does.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Remulak posted:

Which reminds me, what's the right term for Jazzmaster / Jaguar split-post style tuners? I really like those better than the cheap locking tuners installed on this extra JMJM neck I bought.

I think they're called fender vintage style tuners.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

There's a local dude selling an Axl jacknife flying V for very cheap. I kind if want to buy it just for the pickups (high output p90s).
I can't find any audio/video of it being played though. Where do you look if it's not on youtube?

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/20891-horrible-guitarists-you-should-shutup-and-learn-from

How the hell do you count Josh Homme and Annie Clark as "horrible" guitarists?

It's weird that this idea of shredding being the cutting edge of guitar-playing hasn't shuffled off and died yet.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Not really. I get that he doesn't really think they're horrible.
But who is this text for? Are there really people so myopic musically that they don't know Tears for Fears had a guitar player?
And if there are it seems to me he's writing for a very narrow audience.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

iostream.h posted:

Stop making me want weird droopy looking guitars you fuckers!

No. If we're Gassing, you're Gassing.

If I get a tax-refund next month I'm totally getting a VM Jaguar.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Does this go here or the ugly guitar thread? I'm more than a little conflicted.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Alleric posted:

I feel so confused. There's so many individual parts of that guitar that I look at and think, "Never in a million years would that be on one of my guitars...", but then I back up and see it in the aggregate and I'm stunned. That thing rules.

Yeah. The guy only wanted 700 DKK for it too. But the guitars I already have don't get played enough as it is so..

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Smash it Smash hit posted:

... how much would that cost to ship to us?

From what I can quickly Google, anywhere from 250-1000 DKK.
It looks like the guy took it down though, so it probably got scooped up already.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Smash it Smash hit posted:

ugh bummer hit him up if you don't mind and if it can go through id toss you bux for handling it.

I'll try and get in touch with the guy. I'll get back to you if I have any luck.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

When you have a Squier VM jaguar on it's way in the mail and a dude puts a Fender Blacktop HH Jaguar for sale on Facebook. Right where you live. For the same price as the Squier.

:negative:

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Southern Heel posted:

I have never wanted a guitar more than I want this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5ekMAiB5E4

Where can I make it happen? I guess a Mascis repainted with glossy black would do it - but is there something off the shelf?

Gold pickguard-blank from ebay and a coping saw?

e: Or you can just buy one it seems: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...d+gold&_sacat=0

Pondex fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 22, 2015

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Southern Heel posted:

Realtalk is there ever a reason to get two hardtail HH solid-body guitars? Beyond caprice that is.. I can't think of one.

What does your heart tell you?

Serious answer:
Different scale lenghts, pickup switching options, to keep them in two different tunings, one's too fancy to bring out of the house, different color-schemes, set one of them up for playing slide.
Just off the top of my head.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

fullroundaction posted:

Bit more of a learning curve on Rocksmith than I was anticipating, being that I consider myself a Guitar Hero/Rockband SUPERSTAR.

Also the inclusion of songs not in standard tuning is really frustrating. I picked literally 4 songs in a row that were Drop D, Eb, Drop D, and then "the kinks are out of tune we think so here gently caress up your strings till we say stop". Apparently that's a tuning too.

:allears: The Kinks :allears:

They just reissued Lola vs Powerman and you should all get that album. Or at least listen to the track Powerman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Whale Cancer posted:

I went and played a ton of fenders. I have narrowed it down to a classic vibe strat or a classic vibe tele. I couldn't decide which one I wanted so I left empty handed.

God damnit I'm going to have to buy both now aren't i?

..and a Jazzmaster.