Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

rio posted:

It is a lot simpler than that when trying to figure out the chords that fit into a mode. All you need to know is the major key chord scale and that will give you the correct chords for any mode and natural minor (since that is mode 6, with the exception of the V chord being major triad/dominant 7 due to moral interchange and the standard practice of making the V dominant even though it doesn't "belong" in the Aeolian (natural minor) chord scale.

The chord scale is (in 7th chords so remove the 7 if you want triads) Imaj7 iim7 iiim7 IVmaj7 V7 vim7 viim7b5. So in C major of course all those numbers turn into C D E F G A B. If we were looking at what chords fit in D Dorian then, for example, you would just start on iim7 and if you want to, just to make it easier to hear, you can consider that iim7 to be the new "one" chord. So vim7 would be the new "five" chord and so on and a standard IV V I progression would now end up being V7 vim7 iim7 when we translate the progression into a Dorian context. In D Dorian, then, a IV V I progression would be G7 (four) Am7 (five) and Dm7 (one).

This is not "easy" but it is simple because all you have to do is be very comfortable with the basic major chord scale and then translate common progressions to whatever mode you are looking to use.

Modes should just be a way to think about soloing. You can read about Miles Davis sitting at a piano for seven hours composing 'modally' but its not helpful to get hooked up on it too much.

Knowing the tonalities of chords in a key: Imaj7 iim7 iiim7 IVmaj7 V7 vim7 viim7b5 .... is the hard work you gotta put it, not unlike memorizing verb conjugation in a new language.

Once you got that down, you pepper in everything else as liberally as you please. Sit down and play-through modes written-out and find some "modal" phrases/licks you like, but idk, I find it more fruitful to look at a song I would be improvising over live, find some out of key notes that make things more interesting and mentally take note. Maybe that is modal maybe not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Hedningen posted:

Anyone have any good resources for shell chord shapes? I've been working on some actual jazz stuff lately, and I realize they get talked about a lot in how to comp on guitar and as an essential tool, but so far, I've just been writing them out myself based on theory knowledge and spare time at work.

I'd love a good reference sheet or something. The idea is so stupidly amazing - just defining things by the 3rd and 7th and then building off of the shapes for the necessary extensions, and I can tell that my lead sheet playing is getting better after sight-reading a couple of ballads, but I feel like I just found a few shapes I liked based off of a box pattern and called it a day.

Finally, any recommendations for some good lounge standards that might work well in a smaller combo (guitar, bass, sax, drums, and vocalist)? I did mostly big band stuff back in my lovely high school jazz band (and basically did weird huge barre shapes to actual define rhythm due to lack of an actual bass player), so I'm not sure where to go with this. I was contacted by an event organizer running a film noir larp (for nerdy reasons) who wants a nightclub, and I feel like getting some prep in to help the guy out and actually make a few bucks, but my knowledge of small-combo standards is kinda low.

Current shortlist of poo poo we've messed with: Fever, Why Don't You Do Right, Fly Me To The Moon, Thanks for the Memory, and Stormy Weather. Kinda working on getting things arranged - it's a whole different beast than what I'm used to, but it's getting me to think a little outside the box.

Song recommendations: Don't Get Around Much Anymore (Duke Ellington), Only a Paper Moon (Ella Fitzgerald?)...then do some classy stuff and have your vocalist take a seat for a tune while you guys play All Blues by Miles Davis. In fact without being prompted I think I just named my three favorite jazz songs.

As for your chord question....here is how I like to play the seventh chords with the root on the E string:

Rereading your post I see you won't be playing with a piano but these shapes are nice because they use the minimum amount of strings...in jazz things can get muddy between the piano, bass and guitar all hogging the rhythm section, these chords will help you cut through in the right way. I didn't put finger instructions on them but I would highly recommend learning to do a barre with your ring finger on the minor7th.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

rio posted:

Charts

All these got open strings. No bueno. Use my chords if you wanna be a true faker.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

rio posted:

Read the hand writing at the bottom - mute all open strings.

Edit: the top row is the same as your voicings too but the fifth is very unimportant and it is better to know where just roots 3rds and 7ths are because those will not only leave more space for the soloist but also simplify the chords since anything written with an altered fifth like a m7b5 you can just use the same minor voicing. They are also good because they leave you free to add altered notes more freely, add melody notes for chord melodies and teach you where the 3rds and 7ths are more easily since you want to target them when soloing when learning to solo over chord changes. They seem small and simple but people use them all the time in professional contexts so they are not just for learning and the top row and second row can use the same or similar fingerings when playing iim7 V7 progressions.

ooooooooohps I see now.

I just provided those basic ones to him/her because the root notes are right there and so long as you know the notes on the E string you can play along to most anything. These are guitarists we're working with here. I guess when I learned all those years ago my crusty old teacher kind of went in reverse -- big barre chords first, the smaller shapes I posted and when we started working on arrangements we started teasing out some more "unique" voicings tailored to the tune. He was like a weird cross between a fingerstyle country player and jazz purist so thats probably why.

I also really like that minor7th voicing and learning to barre with your ring finger is a good little tool.

20 Blunts fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 11, 2017

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Hedningen posted:

Well, building another weird guitar. Because the client requested that it be bizarre, settled on a set neck in a Telecaster body, headstock done in the Strat style. Just finishing up some blueprints and looking into hardware before getting started with materials ordering.

Might do the fretboard in stainless. Anyone ever done stainless frets? Probably going to go with a maple fretboard, which should look nice thanks to a good piece of maple.

I always mean to start a build/repair/DIY equipment thread here, but then I remember I'm lazy.

Holy poo poo I was just about to post something about this.

My buddy did me a solid and picked up a Fender American strat neck he saw laying around a local shop....only problem is I really like Teles the best so I'm kind of in between a rock and a hard place. I want to save up for my number #1 guitar here.

What pickguard configuration are you going with? I feel like the only way to do the Strat Head/Tele Body is some sort of two humbucker configuration and the extended "deluxe" pickguard. I want to stay true to the Telecaster bridge set-up and then put a minibucker in the neck spot but it just looks off.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Hedningen posted:

Request was for standard Tele neck/bridge set-up. I'm thinking I'll see if I can do a mini-humbucker and do a coil-split, so the neck has a variety of options. It's always hard to decide. I know I'm considering routing out the neck pickup pocket on my recent Tele project and dropping in a Filtertron.

Also, seconding the neck heel issue. That's half of why we ended up on doing a neck-through design. The other reason, of course, being it would confuse people as to why.

I think if the strat neck is 22 frets there is enough overhang so the pickguard doesn't have weird gaps. Warmoth, at least, accommodates for the heel issue. From what I can tell strat neck on tele body is OK....tele neck on strat body is gonna require real modification.

I mean, how much does the Tele bridge contributes to the Tele sound? I'd feel so dirty with a humbucker loaded tele and a standard bridge...

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Are compressor pedals cheating? Sure feels like it.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Just lol if you have to play chords.

I use my thumb on chords because in the words of Future... I ain't got no manners for no sluts. Also on particularly difficult songs to sing it's kind of like rhythm auto pilot.

20 Blunts fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 6, 2017

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I had my guitar guy replace the stock bridge pins in my Tay-Tay with bone ones and...I think it helped out? The guitar is kind of moody-toned in the first place...reacts better to finger picking than strumming. I think it brightened it up a little.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Anybody pedal steel here? Thinking about cashing in on one by the end of summer.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
You should keep that sticker on it.

Like people do on the brims of their snap backs.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Play with some other people.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
'practicing' drone sounds weird but me and my buddy would see how long we could both drone guitar and not do anything to 'break up' the drone while still changing tones. Really helped develop an ear for 'the pocket'

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

NonzeroCircle posted:

After a week of solely playing my new 7 string I picked up one of my 6 strings and it felt weird as hell, so skinny.

I know the feeling...

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

NonzeroCircle posted:

Seriously trying to resist the urge to ask if that djents and failing, sorry. Does it?

(it's cool AF though, I'd love to play one one day)

That is a resounding "no!"

Lowest string is sized .038 on an Emmons E9 set-up, tuned to a B...Buddy Holly was djent compared to that.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Lester Shy posted:

Has anybody here tried Nashville tuning on an electric guitar? I only have one acoustic, but my old Korean Squier is just collecting dust. Would it be as simple as slapping on the higher strings from a 12 string set, or would I have to specifically set up the guitar for the smaller gauges?

:getin:

Are playing slide? I would just look into C6th tuning or E7. You can also drop the B to an A in your Open G and you'll start to uncover some of the Nashville E9 sounds. Get yourself some steel is the best answer.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I want a Les Paul that says Jimi Hendrix on the headstock

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Southern Heel posted:

Anyone tinkering with modes really really needs to watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCkCn0dEgpw

Thanks.

The weird thing I notice though, at least with Dorian mode and Kind of Blue....there is a lot of overlap with that good ole' pentatonic scale. At least if you are playing in say, G, and you try to start a G scale in the fifth fret position (A Dorian)...if you know your pentatonic scale its pretty familiar territory.

I remember learning phrases from Miles' solo on "All Blues" by ear and thought I was fuckin' up.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
re: GIGGING

well I've always said to people who have found themselves in the same emotional situation....if this gigging thing is absolutely no fun then don't do it anymore. Enjoying the music and the people in the moment is about all its worth anyway, even if you get paid. Don't feel like you washed out of the SEAL school or anything, lol.

here was my gig nightmare a couple weekends ago: it was unseasonably humid and the strings on my tele were about middle-aged, so I decided just to leave them alone that night since they were settled well and staying in tune. Five seconds into the very first song, strumming through, my high E and B strings simultaneously snapped. I have never seen anything like it. Alls well that ends well: borrowed a fuckin vintage gibby Les Paul for the rest of the show.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I'm building a strat...I'm kinda liking the idea of this Seymour Duncan "Custom Staggered" set...David Gilmour's neck pickup included apparently. All my tones in my fingers but I know you guys like talkin' pickups. I have no idea where to begin with this guitar gear poo poo, I settled on my "set-up" about six years ago and never looked back. Its Mexi Tele-> vox wah -> Mesa Boogie .50+ and thats it, if heavier things are needed I have a big Muff.

If my buddy hadn't "repaid" me for some work I did for him with a loose American Strat Neck i'd just go to the shop and buy my favorite telecaster, I've strictly played teles until now I guess.

I thought about putting that neck on a warmoth telecaster body and building my own "custom deluxe" tele or whatever but I already have a strat body laying around...

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
just lol if you play guitar with your hands

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
*has been to too many Keller Williams concerts*

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I have some Lace Sensors from a poo poo Strat build I've since ripped apart. I was told they were Whites but I think one is a Silver, or whatever Buddy Guy likes.

Bassier, rounder, but I'd lean towards saying they are kinda bland.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
The best way to learn any instrument is under the threat of physical violence, imo.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
careful with tube amps and electricity BRO

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Kilometers Davis posted:

I wish shred still had that slightly sloppy barely holding together while flying full speed ahead sound like those albums. It sounds so loving awesome compared to modern guys playing careful lines with flawless carefully pieced together production. Not that it’s all bad but you know.

Some heathen in leather and spandex is definitely a more appropriate expression of "shredding," as its just another piece of a rocking band.

Sitting down and trying to bridge the gap between 6-string guitar and Bach? Thanks but no thanks.

20 Blunts fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 19, 2018

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

field balm posted:

Enough with the pedantry, guys help me find a tight, satured sounding distortion pedal that wont sound wierd next to a rat (so no scoop or huge mid bump).

Im really settled on my rat for low gain/dirty clean sounds, but need a heavier sound for my current project. I lile a rat with more gain for heavy chording but it falls apart for more technical and palm muted riffing.

My plan is to run an a/b loop switch, where the first loop will be my 'clean' sound with a rat, delay and phase 90, and the second loop will have whatever my heavy sound is.

The answer might just be another rat, an eq and a gate but id love to hear other ideas. Does a bb preamp get chuggy?

Budget is 150-200 australian or so, so nothing super fancy please!

Volume knob on your guitar?

I guess my means of getting tone is fundamentally different. I keep my Boogie running sort of hot and basically just volume knob "up" into the tones I want, lay off the treble knob to achieve a certain saturation. My volume knob will rarely be fully engaged.

But this is an idea from playing pedal steel guitar wherein your "ideal" tone and volume is at about 60-70% of the sweep, giving you amble room for swells. I've still appreciated this technique on 6-string because the higher amp volume and the lower guitar volume does achieve a sort of compression.

:shrug:

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
if you must build a wall....

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Mercedes posted:

I also have a question for those who play slide. Do y'all know of any exercises or drills I can use to be a better player? I play predominantly in open e

Simple melodies like Amazing Grace.

Finger picking and/or hybrid picking will open things up.

Another good thing is to ween yourself off of barring the entire six strings, try to keep your slide (and it's sweet spot) on only the strings you mean to play. Basically look at your fretting hand muting and right hand blocking, you need to tame them.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Southern Heel posted:

Post your own bitter home truths:

- Any riff or solo learned by ear/experimentation sticks 9000 times better than one learned from tab
- Playing standing up is easier, and I play better
- I only need one more guitar and then I'll play just like Marty Friedman.

-Nothing happens at home, get out and play

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Southern Heel posted:

Realtalk, how? I am not a socially awkward cave dweller, but I live in deepest suburbia and work 6am-7pm weekdays, half of whose evenings I have to go home to take care of my dog. I comute 3hrs per day already, and my play time is limited to 1.5-2hrs maximum at a stretch, 4-5 times per week.

I'm sure it makes sense, but how much of this is framed as someone who is a college/university student, or already frequents rock bars and clubs?

I guess I fall into the 'already frequents' category. Also i became good friends with someone who runs sound all over town. I will help him out lugging poo poo and setting up mics whenever I feel like it and talk to all types of musicians in the process. Between my line of work that still allows me to play and people I've met along the way I am lucky. But even realizing that I can't not tell other guitarists to find some way to get out once a month or so in front of a crowd of any size. So what you don't necessarily like blues? go to an open jam somewhere and play a solo for the bartender and a handful of drunks...

I do basically play country rock though, psychedelic at my heaviest, and was trained in the style of Robbie Robertson...so that opens my options to gigs I'm sure you might laugh at. I 'get out' more because my standards are low. Just want to be involved with a stage somehow. poo poo go recite poetry somewhere, it's all the same.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Pedal Steel > Idiots who have to stand on stage

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Biggest Meltdowner posted:

I want to learn a song my mom will like.

Does anyone know of a Neil Diamond song that is popular and pretty easy for one guitar?

Heart of Gold

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

magnificent7 posted:

It's a great place to go build up your chops with a ready-made assembled band of musicians who can hopefully all pick up whatever you want to play, as long as it's got 12 bars and a turnaround. In return, you'll learn a lot about song structure, dynamics, leading/following in a band, and hopefully find other like-minded fools who are willing to get up and play some of your Emo-down-tuned-dub-stomp at some point.

Exactly. I remember when I was younger I was at a blues/jazz bar in Asheville NC (move there if you can) and there were three guitarists, bass, keyboard and drums on stage. Some really white collar looking dude came up and played a harmonica solo, I took him to be the only "jammer" that night. I remember asking one of the guitarists how often the band rehearsed -- never, he told me. He casually said those turnarounds and bridges they added in were just "basic blues" stuff. It was Duane Allman-worship that night, not for everybody, but it helped me appreciate that playing music is just a language you gotta learn and speak with others. If the instructional materials and a home studio satisfy you, fine, but sometimes that next rung you're reaching for in terms of abilities is best reached for on a stage.

Idk I could write mushy stories like this all day, just want to inspire y'all to be fearless and get out there with your geetars if you can.

20 Blunts fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 13, 2018

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I'm absolutely in love with my Gibson Les Paul "Tribute" I've had since April. A dear dear friend of mine gifted it to me as a surprise and I was super worried it would have Gibson problems out of the box, but its simply perfect. Love the plain top on it.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

skooma512 posted:

Fender makes Teles with the elbow cut now IIRC

gently caress that poo poo

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
NO PEDALS FOR CHILDREN

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Spanish Manlove posted:

IIRC it's his cousin and he has such a soft, humble voice. I love it and I wish he would be in more videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhQuJTc5yFY

this is the second part of that video but HOLY gently caress look at the frets.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Kilometers Davis posted:

HOW DO YOU DO THAT WITH NYLON STRINGS :psyduck:

*super redneck voice*
"thats fuggin country"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i practiced six bottles of beer, is that a practice session measurement?