Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Landfill is arguably better than the recycling process that involves it being shipped off to China, where children break it down into components and the local drinking water has so much heavy metal in it, it clinks in the kids sippy cups, under a dioxin sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
And everyone now and then a company will have computers with their logo stickers on them turn up in one of those Human Rights Optional dumps, and the response from the company will be "yeah we should do a better job taking those stickers off".

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s the petit version of your telephone number ending up on the side of a technical.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

I'm looking for an MSpaint comic. It depicts a cat laying on its back, prompting its owner to rub its belly. The owner reached out with a bloodied and scratched hand saying "please... don't...." as the cat bares its claws and says soemthing like "time for die"

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

If you buy a custom double door at home depot and it comes mildly damaged it might get thrown into the trash compactor and hit with 2x4s until it properly crushes down into junk.

But the batteries and light bulbs that go in the special bins do get recycled yeah.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
I cut my full beard to a Van Dyke. Then I grew some chops that don’t extend to the mustache. Does this have a name? I know having cheek whiskers means you no longer have a Van Dyke.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The closest I know if is the Winnfield, but it doesn’t feature a goatee.

The name comes from Samuel L. Jackson’t character in Pulp Fiction.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I cut my full beard to a Van Dyke. Then I grew some chops that don’t extend to the mustache. Does this have a name? I know having cheek whiskers means you no longer have a Van Dyke.

I think that might just be a Van Dyke with Muttonchops.

Also, pretty disappointed right now that you're not actually Bak Mei

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Memento posted:

I think that might just be a Van Dyke with Muttonchops.

Also, pretty disappointed right now that you're not actually Bak Mei

I wish my facial hair was that color and texture!

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Where would the best place be for me to look up goon reviews/advice on getting a new dish washer? I checked a few forums but couldn’t find an appliance megathread or its like.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

FreshFeesh posted:

Where would the best place be for me to look up goon reviews/advice on getting a new dish washer? I checked a few forums but couldn’t find an appliance megathread or its like.

DIY > Home spergin: Chat Zone for House Stuff

The fix it fast thread is also good with appliances.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Thank you!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've been a fan of the Wirecutter's recommendation method. They seem to do decent research.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I know this might be a :can: but I'm moving across the country to a place where the great evil, Comcast, is the only option for internet. The packages I can choose from are "Up to" 25 Mbps or "Up to" 200 Mbps.

I currently have a 50/50 Mbps plan from Verizon Fios and my actual speeds according to speedtest are more like 20/20 Mbps. Honestly 20 has been fine for us.

I know these numbers are not promised speeds. My interpretation of my current Fios plan is that the line itself may end up being the limiting factor (and in my case indeed seems to be), but if the lines are great they will cap me at a ceiling of 50 Mbps unless I pay more. Is that the correct interpretation?

For example, if I paid for an upgrade from verizon (moot point by now but I'm curious), would I actually see any speed boost, given that I'm already not hitting the 50 Mbps rating?

If I pay for Comcast's 25 Mbps plan, does that mean they cap it at 25 but the line itself may be limiting? Or will they throttle me to way below 25 to make me want to upgrade? Or does nobody know :iiam:

If the limitation is in the line anyway, and if 20 Mbps tends to be fine for me, is there any reason to pay more for the 200 Mbps plan?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Based on my experience with their gig internet plan which my job at the time required last year which rarely saw speeds above 600 and almost never above 800 unless I had the tech there that day to fix their poo poo, it will have a hard limit of 25 imposed by comcast and will probably never break 20 and will most likely hover around 15 except during peak traffic times when it will drop lower. If you got the 200 ylu would have the same trend at higher speeds. The line is probably able to handle way faster than they sell but they dont think they have enough people in your area clamoring for faster yet

Edit: check to see usage limits on the plans. The 25 may be 25 mbps but a 2 gig max data cap I while the 200 is 200 but unlimited or something

Stravag fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 28, 2020

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

alnilam posted:

I know this might be a :can: but I'm moving across the country to a place where the great evil, Comcast, is the only option for internet. The packages I can choose from are "Up to" 25 Mbps or "Up to" 200 Mbps.

I currently have a 50/50 Mbps plan from Verizon Fios and my actual speeds according to speedtest are more like 20/20 Mbps. Honestly 20 has been fine for us.

I know these numbers are not promised speeds. My interpretation of my current Fios plan is that the line itself may end up being the limiting factor (and in my case indeed seems to be), but if the lines are great they will cap me at a ceiling of 50 Mbps unless I pay more. Is that the correct interpretation?

For example, if I paid for an upgrade from verizon (moot point by now but I'm curious), would I actually see any speed boost, given that I'm already not hitting the 50 Mbps rating?

If I pay for Comcast's 25 Mbps plan, does that mean they cap it at 25 but the line itself may be limiting? Or will they throttle me to way below 25 to make me want to upgrade? Or does nobody know :iiam:

If the limitation is in the line anyway, and if 20 Mbps tends to be fine for me, is there any reason to pay more for the 200 Mbps plan?

In my experience paying for Comcast's "Download as fast as 175 Mbps" plan and I Get anywhere between 15 Mbps and ~180 Mbps depending on the time of day. I prefer having the higher bandwidth plan so that my "average" speed is higher.

Oh and don't forget: gently caress comcast and gently caress every ISP's "up to" bullshit

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Are there any major american cities that are primarily white?

Asking because I was thinking about Small Town Murder's "all white all the time with like .5% muslim, .5% black" demographics and then the Dresden Files nominally being set in Chicago despite featuring 0 black people (I think, I've only read the first two books and they were trash) and I just wondered - is there a big city in the USA that's similar to the small towns?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

Asking because I was thinking about Small Town Murder's "all white all the time with like .5% muslim, .5% black" demographics and then the Dresden Files nominally being set in Chicago despite featuring 0 black people (I think, I've only read the first two books and they were trash) and I just wondered - is there a big city in the USA that's similar to the small towns?

How big is big? Scottsdale is extremely white and around 200k. Boise is up there too.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

You can think up random cities that you might guess would be very high % white, and look them up in Wikipedia, and they typically have demographic info including race breakdown. I don't think any large cities are more than like 60something percent white.

e: or there's this very specific article lol
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_percentage_of_white_population

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I think Boise or Lincoln are going to be the largest white populations if you’re excluding Hispanics.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

alnilam posted:

You can think up random cities that you might guess would be very high % white, and look them up in Wikipedia, and they typically have demographic info including race breakdown. I don't think any large cities are more than like 60something percent white.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_percentage_of_white_population

someone out there has decided to move to san antonio, texas because of this list and that's a little sad to think about

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I spent a couple weeks in Idaho in the late 90s and I don't think I saw a single POC the entire time.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

alnilam posted:

That's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for and I am surprised and disappointed that Columbus Ohio of all places is that white.

Thanks guys, my curiosity is sated.

e: For the record I live in upstate NY and I haven't seen a single non-white person in literally years, if not a whole decade. This means that whenever I travel I go through an awkward "oh cool a black person" mental thing where I want to stare and then I'm like, no you idiot, don't do that, don't make this stupid.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Portland, Oregon is eight percent white.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Portland, Oregon is eight percent white.

Think you forgot a very important "y" there . . .

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Portland, Oregon is eight percent, Whitey.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
That list isn't great, and doesn't even match the source it's pulling from (click onto the citations).

Platystemon posted:

Portland, Oregon is eight percent, Whitey.
First thing I noticed about that list is that Portland wasn't on it and Seattle was, which immediately made me suspect. Which is not to say that Seattle is some diverse, cosmopolitan metropolis; it's white as hell, but I happen to know that Portland is even whiter.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Thanatosian posted:

Which is not to say that Seattle is some diverse, cosmopolitan metropolis; it's white as hell, but I happen to know that Portland is even whiter.

portland is 77% white if you include hispanic/latinx people and 70% white if you do not. seattle is 68% and 64% respectively. according to census.gov

bear in mind of course that "white" is a flexible and mutable word with no real objective definition, constantly changing, and routinely (including in the us census) includes groups who do not always identify as white, such as arabs, jews, persians, etc so even with official sources you are still missing part of the reality due to the way the categories are defined

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

That list isn't great, and doesn't even match the source it's pulling from (click onto the citations)..

lmao

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Slimy Hog posted:

In my experience paying for Comcast's "Download as fast as 175 Mbps" plan and I Get anywhere between 15 Mbps and ~180 Mbps depending on the time of day. I prefer having the higher bandwidth plan so that my "average" speed is higher.

Oh and don't forget: gently caress comcast and gently caress every ISP's "up to" bullshit

All I can say about comcast is don't cheap out on the modem/router and use your own. I currently have a 150mbps plan and was losing my mind because it was fluctuating wildly between an unusable .5 mbps and 80, never surpassing 90 mbps. It turned out it was my cheap rear end motorola modem. After upgrading to a Netgear Nighthawk I consistently get almost 200 mbps across the entire house. Close to 50 Mbps faster than I am even supposed to be getting. Was totally worth the money and I still don't have to pay to rent their dumb modem. It will pay for itself in under a year. I'm only buying Netgear from now on.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 29, 2020

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

It always kind of throws me for a loop that we are so hosed in the head by racism that demographic reports have a part for non-hispanic whites, like "white, but not those whites"

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.
I'm trying to find an essay that I'm pretty sure was in The Atlantic (late 1800s-early 1900s). It was about a man who I want to say was in the US Navy? And either renounced his citizenship or was exiled from the US. He ended up spending the rest of his life on a ship and never set foot on US soil again. Does that ring a bell for anyone?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Goon Boots posted:

It always kind of throws me for a loop that we are so hosed in the head by racism that demographic reports have a part for non-hispanic whites, like "white, but not those whites"

Well "white" is a completely made up classification, the non-hispanic part just makes it more obvious that it's not strictly about skin tone. It wouldn't be any less racist or more meaningful if hispanics were lumped in

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Ras Het posted:

Well "white" is a completely made up classification, the non-hispanic part just makes it more obvious that it's not strictly about skin tone. It wouldn't be any less racist or more meaningful if hispanics were lumped in

Yeah, exactly.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
The definition of white changes over the years- for example people of Irish descent were not originally considered white.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Someone explained to me the whole non-hispanic checkbox thing we have in the US at one point in a way that didn't sound insane, but I forgot wtf it was so it still sounds insane. There was some weird, but super utilitarian reason behind it but there is no way it wasn't probably dumb and racist.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I bought a monitor stand recently and the back mount does not fit perfectly with the back of my monitor.

https://imgur.com/a/HXEms1W

The bottom two screws / mount fits perfectly but the top two screws is slightly blocked by maybe a MM or two. In the meantime, I've screwed it in and I'm not worried but of course I would like the top two flush with the monitor. I'm not able to return this monitor mount so I'm thinking of just shaving a MM away to be able to mount it perfectly. What tool can I use to do this? Is it as simple as getting a metal file and doing it by hand?

Use something like this? https://www.amazon.com/Nicholson-Ha...29&sr=8-25&th=1

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 13:51 on May 29, 2020

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Carbon Thief posted:

I'm trying to find an essay that I'm pretty sure was in The Atlantic (late 1800s-early 1900s). It was about a man who I want to say was in the US Navy? And either renounced his citizenship or was exiled from the US. He ended up spending the rest of his life on a ship and never set foot on US soil again. Does that ring a bell for anyone?

It’s a short story called The Man Without a Country, by Edward Everett Hale. It is entirely fictional.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

Busy Bee posted:

I bought a monitor stand recently and the back mount does not fit perfectly with the back of my monitor.

https://imgur.com/a/HXEms1W

The bottom two screws / mount fits perfectly but the top two screws is slightly blocked by maybe a MM or two. In the meantime, I've screwed it in and I'm not worried but of course I would like the top two flush with the monitor. I'm not able to return this monitor mount so I'm thinking of just shaving a MM away to be able to mount it perfectly. What tool can I use to do this? Is it as simple as getting a metal file and doing it by hand?

Use something like this? https://www.amazon.com/Nicholson-Ha...29&sr=8-25&th=1

yeah that or a dremel knockoff (~$20, search dremel tool)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
The Ultimate Ganster story where hese given a small celly and gets a rash from a wool shirt