Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I...I feel stupid. How do I add someone on Facebook? I tried searching for their email and name but no go. Do I just 'like' them on their wall?

:downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Anyone experienced with paypal refunds? I got a seller saying when they got my money they transferred it to their bank account. I opened a dispute when they didn't send me the tickets--turns out they lost them--and apparently they used their credit card to pay the amount of money back to paypal.

But I'm not seeing it in my paypal balance. Should I just escalate it? Paypal help is no use to me and just says some automated message.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Someone made fun of me for having Yahoo mail. What's a cool free email that won't steal my credit card numbers?

Also, is it weird to thank your bus driver when you get off at your stop?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Gmail it is then. Finally I can be cool! :allears: And yeah, I usually take the bus to college so thanking him everyday for X amount of months gets a little tired after a while.

On that note, would it be weird to give him a holiday card/gift? I mean, I don't talk to him or anything other then to say thanks once in a while, but we do see each other every day.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Somebody explain this stupidity to me, please? I installed Microsoft Office PowerPoint Viewer 2007 to view powerpoint files--from Microsoft's official website--and now my docx and co. files have disassociated with the MS Word program.

When I try to change the default 'use program to open this type file' it refuses to select MS word.
I'll go to right click, 'open with...', hit browse and select 'WINWORD.EXE' and it'll go back to the 'open with...' dialog box with IE or sometimes notepad selected.

Why does my computer hate me? I would uninstall the powerpoint viewer but I kinda really need it.

I'm on Vista using Word 2007.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

What does the phrase 'red woman' mean? Google gives me nothing, but a friend says she read it in harry potter and it's derogatory or something.
Is this an actual phrase or existing in fiction only?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Is there a Pottermore thread here on the Forums by any chance?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

What thread is this title from?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I'm American. What kind of american sweets and candies can I get for a British person that they can't get in the UK? Certainly not nutella or Haribo sweets, for sure.

Also, I'm sending it in the mail so no liquids/perishables.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

change my name posted:

Has anyone had any experience with taking zinc for acne? I've heard it works and I really want to help my sister out so she can stop ordering all this proactive poo poo

Check out the skincare thread and maybe? the makeup thread in W&W as they might have some answers. You'll probably be recommended the oil cleansing method or a change in products used.

yoohoo posted:

Anybody know a quick and clean way to get rid of an elastic band in the sleeves of one of my jackets, bar simply cutting it with some scissors?

Probably making a snip near the hem, pulling out what you can and cutting the elastic out?

Question: what was the conclusion to The Goonboot Project back in 2008? Did we get it made or what?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

On ebay, is there certain counties that should be avoided shipping to from the US? I know Nigeria, and a part of Russia? Help me not get screwed over :ohdear:

eta: also, do I pay custom fees if I ship usps? I don't think so but I've only shipped a single gift to a UK friend.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

N. Senada posted:

My friends are working on a serial video project that I'd like to help them advertise on these here forums. I understand that I'm prostituting and would like to know where that's acceptable. I was thinking the SA-Mart and purchasing a banner ad. Any tips?

Just buy a banner ad? I'm not sure what you'll be selling in SA Mart. Subscriptions? You're better off asking permission to pimp your friend's stuff in GBS.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Hulu changed their video screen dimension size to something that's huge and takes up a lot of my computer screen. Is there a way to shrink it down? I like to do other things as I watch my soaps. Control and - doesn't work and the size stays the same.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

subtotal fecal posted:

Is there any proprietary expensive software that can convert video to GIFs? Also, can Adobe Flash export to GIFs?

I tried GIMP but it was clunky and a gigantic pain to use by design, especially for converting video to GIFs.

Thanks, that was a helpful guide for optimization. I still need to find some software though.

If you can afford it, Adobe Photoshop CS5 is pretty good at gif making. You just go to File > Video Frames to Layers and enter * to view all viable video files.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Pizer posted:

What happened with the Freelance Astronauts? Did Pipes! and Ferr stop making videos with Maxwell & Evek for some reason?

According to a co commentator...

Drakkel posted:

It's a really simple answer. People have lives outside of video games on the internet. Times change, sadly.

http://4ms.me/MpN95L

Apparently they're onto other things now. Bummer.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

The power button on my ipod touch is stuck. As in it's pressed down completely, while the black plastic part of the button is loose and can move up/down and back and forth.

Is there a way to fix this, or somehow make the home button the power button? Otherwise I can't ever turn it off.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I purchased a shirt from H&M that has an unhemmed scalloped edge at the bottom of the shirt. How the hell do I hem it while keeping the scalloped look, or at least keep it from unraveling in the washing machine?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Cymbal Monkey posted:

What is this frame from?

Thanks in advance.

Noroi: The Curse. It's a pretty good Asian horror movie disguised as a documentary. I recommend watching it if you haven't already.

Spoilers in this wiki link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Curse_%282005_film%29

MJP posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for decent office snacks that aren't nuts and I can order from Amazon and aren't ridiculously unhealthy? Salty or sweet, doesn't matter to me as long as they're more substantial than a granola bar.

I like to snack on Good Sense roasted and salted soynuts. They're a bit pricy on amazon though.
http://www.amazon.com/Good-Sense-Roasted-Soynuts-5-Ounce/dp/B001VXUAP0
I think they're sold in Safeways or Walgreen so maybe try a small bag there before going all out.
Fruit wise I go with a random assortment pack: http://www.amazon.com/Mariani-Ripen...rds=dried+fruit
The pears are so good! However it's quite sugary.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I went to a few estate sales and was charged sales tax for buying some junk.

How common is this? Is this a new phenomenon or are they just hustling extra cents out of people? Why are the homeowners even charging tax?

[I'm in California if that matters]

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

the posted:

I went to Target and purchased a PC video game. I got home and realized I already have it and need to exchange. I checked the bag and they didn't give me a receipt. Seriously, they didn't.

The game is unopened. Can I return it for something else? Will it help if I go back the same day?

Go back asap and try to catch the person who sold it to you? Otherwise you might be out of luck. If you don't have a receipt you might be able to exchange it for another game if you're incredibly lucky and polite. Most likely they might think you tole it from them/another tore and are looking for free poo poo.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

mappertyst posted:

I recently bought an office chair from Ikea. I have hard laminate floors which I have now learned aren't quite even. Because the rolling casters on the new chair are so smooth and functional, I'm sliding all over the place when I'm trying to sit at my desk and work.

Does anyone have any recommendations other than buying a new set of casters for the chair? Aside from casters being relatively expensive for such a little thing, there is the additional problem of compatibility; I've read that caster stems aren't always uniform, and Ikea chairs in particular won't always accept third-party stems.

I've considered getting a rug, but I'm afraid it will bunch up when I do need to roll around. Anyone have any experience here?

A low pile rug might help, plus save your floors from getting scratched. If that also slides there's some anti-slipping mats that go under the rug*. Also, if you live in an apartment it'll spare your lower neighbor from hearing your chair roll around.

* http://www.homedepot.com/Flooring-A...51#.UFN3XrJlQZk

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Does a basic recipe for chocolate chip cookies really need butter? On that note does it really need two different kinds of sugar? Why not just have a single cup of white sugar with some molasses, or a cup of brown sugar?

In the US, does Starbucks give you a discount if you bring in your own container for hot water/coffee? I could only find info for Brits at 10p discount.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Blenheim posted:

If I make a post on Tumblr and give it a tag, it'll show up on my own Tumblr under that tag, but it won't show up on Tumblr as a whole, so to speak, if I search for that tag (meaning, if I click on the http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/that-tag-I-used link). I have my posts marked as public; what am I missing?

Go to https://www.tumblr.com/settings/dashboard and see if you checked off "Browse tag pages in Safe Mode".
If it isn't, go to http://www.tumblr.com/blog/YOUR BLOG'SURLHERE/settings and see if you marked your blog contents NSFW. That means your posts won't show up in the general tagged post list, whether they're full on naked people or pictures of kittens.

If this doesn't work it could be a missinge problem.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

when worlds collide posted:

My friend gave me a 2G iPod shuffle, and she put some music and books on it for me.

I have never owned an actual iPod product, and I'm frustrated as hell right now.

Is there a way you can see a tracklisting, and add and remove tracks without using iTunes? I've heard there is, and I'd rather avoid iTunes, especially having set up my parent's iPod. I hated it and I'd rather not have it on my Windows computer.

I have bunged this little thing up already, I accidentally pressed some 'voice over button', and the nice song I was listening to disappeared and I'm hearing an ebook now. I've navigated through and can't seem to find the music again, all I seem to have done is cycled through chapter after chapter of god knows how many e-books. I turned it on and off and it picks up where it left off, which is what I expected.

I feel like a total idiot and/or past the point of no return when you're too old to operate these newfangled whatchamahoozits. :corsair:

Any smarter people have any expertise they can lend me here?

You can try using http://www.copytrans.net/ but I'm not sure it will work. Copytrans says compatibility is for "3G and 4G" ipod shuffles. Do you mean you have a 2 gigabyte shuffle or a 2 generation shuffle? Either way, give it a go. It works well for my ipod touch and is hella easy to delete and transfer music to.

If copytrans doesn't work try foobar: http://www.foobar2000.org/
However I can't find if it's compatible with your 2G shuffle :T

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Fallorn posted:

Where can stuffed animal noses my little sister's stuffed dog recently it lost its nose, and the ones at the hobby lobby were not "right". This little stuffed animal means a whole lot to her and I tried getting it fixed for her birthday and it wasn't right. So I am asking how/who/where can I get part/pay people/find parts to get it fixed it would mean a whole lot to a nine year old who has had the toy since she was two or three.

Tons of them on etsy.
http://www.etsy.com/search?q=animal%20noses&view_type=gallery&ship_to=ZZ&min=0&max=0

Maybe ask around at dry cleaners to see if they are skilled in stuff animal surgery? Otherwise there's an etsy goonsquad in DIY and hobbies that might be able to take on the job.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Is all the music sold on itunes completely DRM free? Or are the tracks that cost 1.29 DRM free while the 0.99 cent ones are DRM’d? Sorry for a dumb question. I’ve never had a reason to use itunes until now.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Ok, I might be dreaming this up, but was there a theory that resistance to the Black Death was linked to a blood type group or resistance to another disease? Or am I mixing Black Death with Sickle Cell anemia and Malaria?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Grundulum posted:

Are you thinking of HIV resistance? (You're correct that sickle-cell anemia does confer resistance to malaria, though.)

Hmm, I could've sworn it was in regards to the bubonic plague, and it was in some PBS documentary. Eh, I probably dreamed it up. Thank you though.

A twitter question:
I have a locked/privated account. If I like a post someone made that I am not following do they see that I liked it?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

greazeball posted:

Any advice for coping with tinitus? I just moved to a really quiet house and at night the ringing is really loud. :(

Always wear earplugs when you go to concerts >;_;<

I generally wear foam earplugs at night, which helps block out outside noises and lets me drown out the tinnitus by hearing rustling against the pillow, blood circulation, etc. Eventually you'll learn to ignore it.

Though apparently earplugs are damaging to your ears and definitely widen the ear canals, not unlike plugs in one's earlobes. I guess a white noise machine would be best for you. Go to a doctor for better advice.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

I have been playing around with gimp and I want to combine a jpeg as a background with an unrelated gif image which has transparency. However when I combine them the gif frames (not including the first) have white instead of transparent backgrounds... How do I stop this?

Get rid of GIMP if you can and find something better. I'm pretty sure Adobe let you do a 30 day trial if this is a one time thing.

How to possibly fix your problem:
Check how you're saving the file. Is the option for transparency checked? You're not flattening all the layers before saving them are you ;)

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I have a desk with a flip-down lid which was made by The Bombay Company. Is there a way to figure out what kind of skeleton key goes with it? I think it's a weird L-shaped one, but I really have no idea.
Where the hell can I find specific shaped skeleton keys?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

hooah posted:

Is there anything that will allow me to scan in or download CD liner notes and keep them organized? I'm kind of a nerd for them and just rescued all of mine from my parent's attic, and would like to have them all in digital format.

You mean like text file format, or image format? You could just photograph or scan them and keep them in a folder on your computer. There's free online ocr if you want it as text files.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I found a wells fargo credit card on the street. Is there a number I can call to let the bank know someone lost their card? Or could I just drop it off in person at a wells fargo?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

What's a decent, free .vob file to mp4/mov/avi converter? I'm on Windows 7 and google's results are daunting. Half the reviews are blank or saying things are full of trojans :(

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Is there a way to get music off my itouch 3gen and still keep all the ratings, playcounts and such? I'm on a new laptop and I tried itunes 9-10 and they all want to erase when I try syncing with music on the laptop. I'm on windows 7, itunes 10 with music on the itouch 3gen that I want on the itouch 4gen.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

KittyLitter posted:

This is really petty, but maybe someone can help.

A long time ago Lowtax gave goons the ability to upload a picture of their favorite pet to be shown to the left/right of the banners at the top of the page. My absolute favrite is a little cat wearing wraparound shades with a 'fukyeah!' looks on his face.

Is there a full sized version of that cat pic that I can download as a wallpaper?

It might help if you posted that particular picture as they might be a goon's pet. You can also try some reverse image search engines like google has, or tineye.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

lotor9530 posted:

Is there anywhere on the forums where I could potentially hire someone to spruce up a website for me? I have a professional portfolio that's hosted online, but it is quite bland currently. I need this site to look polished and professional, and I'd be willing to part with some cash to do so.

I'm using Joomla 2.5.8 as a CMS, but I'd be open to change.

There's a Hire me/Hiring someone thread in CC you can have a looksy at, or try SA mart. I think you might have better luck in CC though.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Does anyone have a link to that newish website that had old entries originally on Lowbrow.com? It was a plain website that you refreshed and new entries showed up. It had sorry_e_e@whatever.com, if that helps.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Rashomon posted:

Really stupid/small Tumblr related question: I have been using a Tumblr to keep some images on as a sort of mini-portfolio of photos of my work (theater director). I was uploading some new images and for some reason, it won't let me arrange the photo set. Previously when I have uploaded a bunch of images at once, Tumblr gave me options as to how to do the layout of the photos, i.e. which photos were big and which were small, and whether it was 3 big photos and 3 small ones, or 1 big one and 5 small ones, etc. Any idea why I can't find the option to do that any more? Running Chrome. I tried it in IE but IE 10 wouldn't even let me log in for some reason.

I don't know if you're still reading the thread or have figured it out already but you can click and drag them now. It's great for uploading batches but really loving annoying when it stretches out the first one to 700px high. If you're not fond of the click and drag thing there's a chrome extension that let's you spoof to get the old photoset options back. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/user-agent-switcher/lkmofgnohbedopheiphabfhfjgkhfcgf

Also I'd advise against using tumblr for portfolios. People repost pretty pics without credit all the time, or worse, crop and use people's finished art as quick and easy how to guides for drawing hands/feet/etc. Just saying :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

reni89 posted:

File Shadowing or Shadow Copies is what you want to enable!

and now for my question:

GIRLS PERFUME!

GF's birthday coming up, are there any nice smelling perfumes that don't cost ONE HUNDRED loving DOLLARS!?
Seriously, I won't feel bad about something that only costs $10 because I'm getting her a bunch of other crap too.

Thanks S/SQMT!

Look at smelly things she already has [soaps/lotions/etc] and try finding something from zomgsmellsshop.com ? 1 ml testers are 2.50 each and you could get a couple and make your own special set just for her. Most perfumes have reviews so you can sort of match that to smells she likes.