Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Where can I buy good, heavy wrapping paper? Whatever I got this year to wrap presents with was the saddest, thinnest stuff and I really like wrapping presents nicely. I don't mind spending some money on good quality wrapping paper and ribbons and stuff. My mom said she used to get nice wrapping paper from Sally Foster but that doesn't seem to exist anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That is an excellent point. I spent four years in the SoCal desert for college. I can cope with 300 frickin' sunny days per year and it never raining. :v:

This kind of thing is why I'm asking these questions! I get wrapped up in my own brain and I need the outside perspectives and reality checks. Thank you!

I’d echo the poster that said ‘you get used to it’ re: living in a red state. Most of the larger cities in the south are as blue as cities anywhere and finding like-minded people to date or play board games with wouldn’t be a problem. Austin, Houston, New Orleans (kind of), Atlanta, Nashville, NC triangle, Richmond, are all very progressive. Hell even the smaller college towns are changing. That may not allay all your political hesitations, but I wouldn’t write off big cities in red states entirely.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Thanatosian posted:

It's very possible the Supreme Court is going to nuke nationwide gay marriage in the next couple of years, so that's gonna be a hit to the "I can just live in a blue city in a red state" possibilities for anyone in the LGBTQ community.

That’s certainly a risk to weigh, for sure, but at least on that particular issue I think that ship has sailed and wouldn’t be the winning political proposition it was 15 years ago. I’m gay and live in a red state and am from an even redder state, and my Very Conservative cousins in Rural Small Southern Town X have a married gay couple as the choirmaster and organist at their (admittedly episcopalian, but definitely not liberal) church, and I think that has probably changed their opinions on gay marriage in the last 5? years. The world didn’t end like they thought it might. It’s one small area I am actually optimistic about as a red state resident. Hell, it’s a pretty open secret that Lindsay Graham and the governor of Alabama are gay and lesbian respectively and they keep getting re-elected.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

PersonFromPorlock posted:

Is there a subforum for asking about electrical circuits and the hobbyist modifying thereof?
Hobbies, Crafts & Houses https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=210
There’s a thread for wiring (like houses) and there’s also a thread for electronics and one for arduino which is something similar? Some dude is making his own gameboy in a thread too.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

kedo posted:

Are there any decaf teas (not herbal teas, but actual camellia sinensis that has been decaffeinated) that don't taste like something you brewed using an old Lipton's bag that's on it's third cup? I've tried rooibos which is tasty in its own right, but it just doesn't have the same flavor.

I'm also open to low caffeine teas assuming they're pretty darn low.
It’s not as good as the real stuff, but the Twinings decaf Irish breakfast in bags isn’t terrible and is pretty widely available

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

hooah posted:

We recently moved and the place has these oil-rubbed bronze bathroom finishes (like the one below). My wife has been driving herself slightly crazy trying to find matching accessories (soap pump, tumbler, trash can, etc.). What might work as a contrasting/complementary color?

Alternatively, do we have like an interior decorating thread?

https://embed.widencdn.net/img/moen/hoxgs0xovy/514x514px/ut2021orb.tif.jpg?q=90

Yes, Hobbies, Crafts and Houses has one: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3955916

The Home Zone thread in HCH might also help

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Manager Hoyden posted:

What's the best way to figure out how much energy your house is using and its maximum draw? This is for generator purposes.

This seems a lot more complicated than I thought it would be.
Ask the electrician you’re hiring to install the cut-off/transfer switch what size you need is the easy answer.

Most people don’t run their entire house on a generator because whole house generators are much more expensive. Pick a few important things you need and run those. Fridge/freezer, AC, microwave, maybe a few lights and outlets, but probably not the washer/dryer, electric stove, etc. Look at the labels for all those things and figure up the total wattage (voltage x rated amperage= required wattage) of everything you want to run simultaneously and find an appropriately sized generator. You can save quite a bit by not running everything at once-if you need to use the microwave for 5 minutes, you can unplug the fridge while you use it and not have to use as large a generator. This page seems decent: https://generatoradvisor.com/what-size-generator-do-i-need/

There’s a wiring thread in HCH that may be able to offer more specifics:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3090739

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I don't think this is worth a thread of it's own, so hopefully this is the right place to ask about it.

I'm looking at home listings (because apparently I like to punish myself looking at places closer to work that I can't afford) and was wondering what the gently caress this thing is:

I mean, the dishwasher is on the left and the oven is on the right. What in the world is that?

No visible buttons, just a handle.

:thunk:
Possibly also an ice maker if not a trash compactor

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Google makes me believe it's a Kitchenaid trash compactor.

Trash compactors are cool because you empty the trash a lot less often. They're uncool because the bags are expensive and if there's chicken/seafood scraps or whatever in the trash, you still need to empty it whether it's full or not, and now you just wasted an expensive bag.

I stayed in an AirBnB once with a trash compactor which made sense because the kitchen was on the second floor, but was awful because it was hard af to open and had some sharp bits that would cut you when you tried to change the bags. I don't know how someone had lived with it for 30 years.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Xun posted:

I need to find some specifically "wet or dry" sandpaper, and most of what I can find is labeled either dry sandpaper or wet sandpaper. Is wet sandpaper also "wet or dry"? I'm worried about the adhesive properties here
‘Wetordry’ is a brand name for a type of wet sandpaper made by 3M.

Any wet sandpaper can also be used dry, the water or oil or mineral spirits just acts as a lubricant to keep the paper from clogging which is especially important at finer grits. You usually only wet sand finishes. Regular dry sandpaper can’t be used wet for the most part. Wet sandpaper has a different backing (plastic or fabric or some kind of resin-impregnated/water-resistant paper) from dry sandpaper (which uses plain paper that will melt if it gets wet). The adhesives holding the abrasive to the backing are also likely different. Wet sandpaper usually uses a black silicon carbide abrasive-regular brown paper is usually garnet or aluminum oxide. I can’t remember exactly why silicon carbide gets used (maybe just because it can be manufactured finer?) but I can look it up at work in the AM if for some reason you need to know even more tedious detail about sandpaper.

What are you trying to do?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Manager Hoyden posted:

Where is the thread location thread?

I am looking for all the margarita machine threads from way back. I think there were three.

SAclopedia is helpful for finding those kinds of things too and ahs a page with links to the threads: https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=1794

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Extra row of tits posted:

Hello everyone,

Can anyone direct me to a thread here where I can ask a question about a rose I purchased from a florist? I would like to know about the quality of the flower so anyone that prepares roses as gifts would be useful.
Ther horticulture thread in HCH is where all the cool plant nerds hang out and someone there might be able to help depending on what you want to know.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3951612

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I seem to have little moths in my pantry and little spider webby things in my grits and cornmeal. I threw out my grits/cornmeal once before, but apparently that wasn't sufficient. How the heck do I get rid of pantry moths?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Thanks. Lots of this stuff is expired anyway so starting fresh seems easier. I’ve only seen them in corn based things so far, and only in one cabinet. I’ve had one of those little traps in there for a few months and it has caught exactly 3 moths. Where the heck do they come from/how did I get them? I never had them until a year or two ago.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Methanar posted:

How much does insurance payout if you:

get hit by a commercial semi truck
the semi truck runs a red light
your ankle is broken
your ribs fractured
your spleen ruptures
you have internal bleeding
you are majorly concussed
Get an ambulance-chasing suing lawyer. There’s probably a big pile of money to be had, but their insurance company isn’t likely to just hand it over because someone asks nicely.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

tuyop posted:

Only a son of a king can be a king.

Crankit posted:

The son of a queen can also be king.
The husband of a woman who would be queen can be king as long as his grandfather was also a king and he demands parliament make him a king and not a consort and his wife agrees:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_III_of_England

E: to expand, there's lots of precedent for the husbands of English queens to be prince-consorts and not kings. I think Mary I's husband Phillip of Spain was actually called king, but he wasn't really king, and was definitely not king after Mary died. William and Mary were I think the only 'co-monarchs' where each was theoretically equal to each other? Anne, Victoria, and Elizabeth II all had prince-consorts

E2:

Powered Descent posted:

What if they have to go further down the line of succession and go with a great-grandchild of Princess Somebody?

You get the Hanoverian succession.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 10, 2021

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Yeah I like them for zipping around all the olds and the slows. I usually just use a small basket but if I have to get beer or something heavy the little double-decker carts are nice.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

NotNut posted:

It's mainly just to have a way to dispose of food waste without having to seal it in bags and take it to the dump. I could just not use that compost for gardening and get my real compost elsewhere.

If your goal is getting rid of food waste, why does it matter if the raccoons get in it? Just toss it out in the yard I'm sure it'll be gone by morning. Maybe not such a good idea if you live somewhere with bears or mountain lions....

There is an entire compost thread in HCH that might have more info: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3958208

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

C-Euro posted:

I'm married, and my sister is also married. Is my sister's husband my wife's brother in law, or does the "in law" distinction break down if it has to jump two different marital bonds?
I think if you would be aunts/uncles to each others’ children, you definitely are in-laws.

A lot of other languages have different words for like the sister of your spouse vs. the wife of your sibling but English does not.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Don't show those to the goatman.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I'm a standard-issue goon with bad, very head-forward posture. Aside from 'quit phone posting' and 'remind yourself to stand/sit up straight all the time' are there any fix your posture lifehacks physical therapists hate I should know about?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

How bad is it to take NSAIDS on an empty stomach? I know that you're supposed to take them with meals, but is this an "otherwise you risk nausea" kind of thing or an "otherwise the damage to your kidneys is way higher" kind of thing? The context is that I sometimes have joint/hip/back pain flare up in the middle of the night, when I don't particularly want to have to go eat a snack to go with my pills.

On a related note, as far as I can tell there's no "small questions thread" for The Goon Doctor?
I've never had a problem with taking 2-400mg of ibuprofen on an empty stomach, but something like naproxen (aleve) is a good bit stronger and longer lasting and will give me a stomach ache on any empty stomach. If you take alot of ibuprofen or stronger ones like naproxen regularly for a long time, they can cause stomach ulcers. I think they irritate the lining of your stomach or something.

One of the big recent discoveries of my life was learning to ask the pharmacist literally any drug question (or minor ailment you don't want to go to the doctor for). They are super knowledgeable and in my experience very helpful. They are a great (and free!) source for good basic healthcare info imo.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Gibbs posted:

Okay that's hilarious. Thanks both for explaining Slimy and Taeke. I think I'm going to like this place!
How did you find SA and what made you decide to register an account? I’m always wonder how new people find this place.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

alnilam posted:

I've had my credit frozen for a while, and I recently unfroze it to buy a house, and froze it again.

I also just noticed that I have generally not received annoying credit card solicitations in the mail, but then there was a brief period where I did, and now I feel like I'm not getting them anymore.

This is all vague retrospection so I'm not sure if these periods coincide with each other, but I'm wondering. Does freezing your credit prevent companies from getting the information they need to send you unsolicited credit card offers? Is there a connection?

I didn’t even know this was a thing I could do but from 5 minutes of googling, it seems like a good idea. Should everyone just have their credit frozen all the time if they aren’t applying for a loan/credit of some sort?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Fruits of the sea posted:

Are there any applications left that strictly require helium? It has some pretty neat properties, but surely there are other gases that are equally ...floaty, even in if some are more volatile.
It gets used as a shielding gas in some kinds of welding (aluminum especially) because it is more ????? than the argon that is usually used for plain steel.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I've concluded that I'm out of shape (5'10 190lbs), and decided in addition to watching my diet, I should exercise. I just decided to start some cardio by jogging up and down the two flights of stairs in my house. After 10 minutes I was definitely feeling out of breath and very tired. Is this a warning sign of anything? Or is it simply me being out of shape and needing to train more?
It’s completely normal to be out of breath after jogging up and down stairs for 10 minutes. Tbh it’s pretty normal to be out of breath from jogging up and down stairs for 3 minutes.

This is great thread if you weren’t already aware of it:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876241

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

hooah posted:

For the last week or so, I've been waking up about an hour earlier than usual and have been unable to get back to sleep. As far as I'm aware, my sleep habits and environment haven't changed. I still feel kind of tired, and my eyes are gritty, but my brain just won't go back to sleep. How can I figure out how to sleep my normal amount again?

It might be the longer days too. I’ve been waking up an hour or so earlier because it gets light outside so much earlier. Maybe try some blackout curtains or something?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

regulargonzalez posted:

Some thoughts:

You might be smelling it more strongly at night for several reasons that don't include the flower actually creating more scent at night: you're less preoccupied with work / activities at night, there is less traffic and so less exhaust odor that might mask the scent, less traffic driving through also means the air itself will be more still and so the scent can linger.

It's always tough to describe scents precisely -- we don't have a very good grammar for it, especially if you're not a perfumier or something. That said, your description reminded me of honeysuckle (which is a really great scent).
In addition to all of the above, many flowers have their strongest scent in the late afternoon/evening, and most plants seem to have a particular time of day (not always evening) when they smell strongest.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Badger of Basra posted:

CVS (and I assume other places) sells an OTC sleeping pill that they say is non habit forming, but also says not to use it more than three times a week. Why is that? Is it actually habit forming, or is the quality of sleep you get from taking the pill not as good as unassisted sleep?
Idk exactly what drug you’re talking about, but most of the common OTC sleep aids are some form of antihistamine and you develop a tolerance to them fairly quickly. I dunno if that’s necessarily ‘habit forming’ but you can definitely quickly develop a dependence of sorts. At least personally, if I take diphenhydramine for 2 nights I have trouble getting to sleep the 3rd night without it.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

On top of all the above, you get a whole lot less computer per dollar when it all has to squeeze into a laptop. I’ve always had laptops and was amazed when I got a really nice desktop a few years ago how much cheaper it was than it’s laptop equivalent.

E: also things might be better now, but being good at gaming makes laptops not all that great at being laptops, especially if you get a larger screen size. Suddenly they are heavy and too big to be very portable and just live plugged in at your desk like a desktop but they cost 50% more and aren’t as good.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 11, 2021

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Vegetable posted:

What is an IK on these forums? What does it stand for and what do they do?
An IK is an Idiot King. We have grey stars instead of blue (for moderators) or red (for admins). IK's don't have access to the mod forum, and they can't see reports. They can change thread titles, edit posts, sticky threads, goldmine threads, and give out 6hr probations in the forum they are an IK of. They can que longer probations, but they have to be approved by an admin.

There's 2 kinds of IKs. Chaos/joke IKs in FYAD/BYOB/maybe C-SPAM? that are usually temporary and mini-mod IK's that are usually longer term, but not always. The FYAD-lite IKs are there to give out comedy probations, goldmine threads, and sticky threads they like. The grey-forum, mini-mod IKs are basically miniature moderators that usually watch over a thread or a few threads that maybe the mod of that forum don't really keep up with, or just to provide another set of eyes on fast-moving threads like in the politics forums. In some forums, IKs are expected to only use their buttons in the threads they're supposed to keep an eye on, whereas in others they are general, forum-wide IK.

E;fb

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Its Chocolate posted:

How do they hand-bread chicken sandwiches at fast food restaurants? Do they keep some breaded raw ones in the fridge to throw on and fry on demand?

Idk the answer to your question, but according to The Internet, Popeyes breads their chicken in store, but shrimp and fish are pre-breaded. Chic-fil-a also does their sandwich filets (maybe nuggets too?). Judging by the guys standing around the back of Bojangles covered in flour, I imagine they bread theirs in store too. I can’t imagine getting real fried chicken crispies with something pre-breaded and frozen, and since IQF breaded things usually aren’t thawed before frying, seems like it would take forever to cook bone in frozen chicken parts.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

dog nougat posted:

X-posting from the CC questions thread.

Basically how do I go into business for myself with art?

If you haven't seen it, this mostly-dead thread in CC has some good stuff in it and is probably worth resurrecting:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3468091

I'm not an artist, but I work in a somewhat similar field as an independent craftsperson taking commissions, and my experience is that, well, it's hard. Like any business, sales are everything, and that means doing more marketing and self-promotion than you may be comfortable with. I don't know anything about your art, but finding your market-finding the people who would want to own your stuff if they knew it existed-is super important. Working through 'who are my customers and why do they want ME' is important. Galleries do alot of that marketing for you, but they take a pretty substantial cut-most artists would tell you that's well worth it. In my trade, I work with interior designers often and they get a percentage too, but again, for outsourcing your marketing and sales, that's worth it IMO. Depending on your art, they may be a good resource too. I know an artist friend of mine has sold plenty of paintings though decorators. Pricing is really difficult, even moreso for art I imagine, but I think it's important to price yourself as fine art. If a customer sees two equivalent paintings and one is $400 and one is $800, they're probably gonna think the $800 one is better. If you're in an area with alot of tourists, that can be a great market.

I recommend this book to anyone thinking of starting a business and it really helped me think through much of the above.
https://www.amazon.com/Write-Business-Plan-Mike-McKeever/dp/1413317499
Your local library almost certainly has it, and it's well worth going through all the motions even if you say 'but I'm an artist not a business!' You're still doing the thing every business more or less does-making and selling widgets. Doing the boring spreadsheet stuff of 'I need to take home $X0,000, how do I get there' is really eye opening (for me, in a good way) and will help with figuring out prices. If you know a big painting takes you 2 weeks, you can make (and more importantly, sell. Production without sales is scrap!!!) 25 of them a year, and you need to get at least $2,000 or w/e. for them. Selling prints isn't going to be as limited by your time/ability to produce, and will let you do much higher volume at a lower price.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Blasting something with 350 degree oil for 10 minutes cures all my fears

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

StrixNebulosa posted:

Are there any threads on SA about enamel pins? I'm slowly assembling a collection and I'd love to show it off to fellow goons.
We desperately need a thread about enamel pins in HCH (or maybe A/T? Idk) so please feel free to start one if you don’t find one.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Volcott posted:

Anyone know where I could get a lamp that looks somewhat like this? Metallic, with a barrel-shaped body. (Also is there a home decor/decorating thread anywhere for this eggstremely niche question.)

This thread in HCH is decorating stuff: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3955916&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

If they can’t help, you might also ask in ‘The Home Zone’ thread in HCH which may get more/different traffic.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bioshuffle posted:

The way things are looking in Texas, it looks like we may be in for a rough summer with rolling blackouts.

What are some essentials to have to prepare for a heat wave where we may lose power and AC for stretches of time?

I remember when the winter storm hit, I kicked myself for not getting space heaters when I could still buy them.
Having lived through bunches of hurricanes-keep a bunch of ice in your freezer all the time. Bags of ice, frozen water bottles, frozen milk jugs full of water, whatever. Big blocks last longer than small cubes. If you have a second freezer, even better. Open the fridge/freezer as little as possible. You can put a few frozen milk jugs in the fridge to help keep it cool. Stuff in the freezer will last a few days usually, the fridge a day or two depending on how often you open it. If frozen things thaw, don't refreeze them-if they've stayed cold but not frozen, just go ahead and eat them or make a big pot of stew and freeze the stew.

The other option is a small generator. Getting one big enough to run your AC is very expensive, but honda makes some really good quiet ones that will keep your fridge and some fans and maybe microwave going for $1000 or so, and there are probably other, cheaper brands. Not having to worry about the fridge really removes alot of stress for me. Box fans and swamp coolers don't really do any good if you don't have something to power them (maybe an the inverter could run one or two?). With a hurricane you usually have warning and can make sure you've got plenty of gas etc, but idk how much warning there might be with blackouts. Keep your car at least half full all summer? If nothing else, you can charge your phone with it and sit in the AC for a minute. If you get a generator, keep a few gallons of gas around for it.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

How does dairy farming work? Like why do cows produce more milk than their calves need? Millennia if selective breeding?
Alternatively they are producing the amount their calves need but we get the milk because the calves get taken away, what do the calves get fed? And really more specifically what was the answer to all these questions c. 1850 or somethin? I assume now there’s like artificial calf formula or something nowadays.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Inceltown posted:

Have you heard of 'veal' before? Because that answers a lot of your questions about what the calf gets fed.

Yeah but veal calves are still several? months old. Do they get fed real milk all that time? I also thought it was only male calves that became veal and female calves got kept to make more milkcows since one bull can service a whole lot of cows. Does something awful dot com actually not have a dedicated animal husbandry megathread????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hyperlynx posted:

Haha, drat. What a waste of time and energy!

Welcome to The Internet